BajaNomad

Need advice on bed roll

Santiago - 3-17-2019 at 06:20 AM

5'-10", 205 lbs, 68 years old.
I used to sleep on rocks and wake up ready to roll, now I'm just pleased to wake up.:rolleyes:

I took my 5 year-old grandson camping last summer and dug out my old sleeping mat, the kind that self-inflates when you unroll it. Wow, it was not a good night's rest. Last night while eating pizza after his baseball game, he started asking about going camping again. I need to upgrade but the camping sites have a gillion options so thought I would ask those of you who camp, what would you recommend?
Thanks

David K - 3-17-2019 at 07:02 AM

Air mattress for the win!
If you have a Tacoma with 110v outlet in the bed, just plug in and inflate. Otherwise, an inverter is needed that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Or, one that inflates with a hand pump or your mouth...

Don Jorge - 3-17-2019 at 07:17 AM

A good cot, a good pillow and the right bag for the conditions. A pad on top of the cot can be used.

Cots imo are better than air matresses, much better. No leaks, no pump required and cots put one off of the ground.

Off the ground helps keep crawly things away and makes getting in to and up from the bed so much easier.

I use this one for car camping: https://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-Outfitter-Patented-Inclu...

BajaBlanca - 3-17-2019 at 07:42 AM

[I used to sleep on rocks and wake up ready to roll, now I'm just pleased to wake up.] :rolleyes:

Hahahaha Ain't it the truth!

bajaguy - 3-17-2019 at 07:48 AM

http://kamprite.com/shop/tents/tri-fold-series/kamp-rite-ori...

David K - 3-17-2019 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
A good cot, a good pillow and the right bag for the conditions. A pad on top of the cot can be used.

Cots imo are better than air matresses, much better. No leaks, no pump required and cots put one off of the ground.

Off the ground helps keep crawly things away and makes getting in to and up from the bed so much easier.

I use this one for car camping: https://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-Outfitter-Patented-Inclu...

Very true, I also have a cot for single nights, quick set up. I used both during all my nights researching the road guide, often the cot if I was only going to be there one night. However, the air mattress is warmer and more comfortable and you can move around... the cot doesn't allow for much movement.

John Harper - 3-17-2019 at 07:50 AM

I use a Klymit pad, inflates in 10-12 breaths, which is nice at high altitudes. I bought an ultralight insulated pad for backpacking, but it works great on my cot as well. One nice thing about the Klymit is they are 23" wide versus the 20" normal size. Very comfortable pad and I am a side sleeper, no problems bottoming out.

There are a lot of models, I have the Static V Lite Insulated, 19 oz, R factor of 4.4. I've used it for almost 4 years now (70+ nights) with no problems or leaks. Very happy customer. You can actually feel it get warmer after you lay on it, the insulation is like mylar and reflects your heat back to you.

You can get factory refurbished pads on Ebay for about half price new. With factory warranty. That's what I just recommended to a friend.

Regular air mattresses will suck the warmth from you, unless there is some insulation. Like a hammock, nothing but cold air above and below.

John

[Edited on 3-17-2019 by John Harper]

weebray - 3-17-2019 at 08:07 AM

Therm-a-Rest extended my camping days nicely. No need to inflate, it is automatic. Efficient thermal barrier and excellent comfort. Mostly used for motorcycle camping. I would say 90% of my friends use them or a variation on this theme. I try to accommodate the "camprest" model, about 2" thick and very cushy. Doubles as an xtra bed for guests at home. Incidentally, I found a cot uncomfortably narrow and cold.

John Harper - 3-17-2019 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Therm-a-Rest extended my camping days nicely. No need to inflate, it is automatic. Efficient thermal barrier and excellent comfort. Mostly used for motorcycle camping. I would say 90% of my friends use them or a variation on this theme. I try to accommodate the "camprest" model, about 2" thick and very cushy. Doubles as an xtra bed for guests at home. Incidentally, I found a cot uncomfortably narrow and cold.

I also have a thick Thermarest like you describe. Like sleeping on a bed at home. I use that for most my car camping, unless I'm going ultralight. I use my Thermarest on top of my cot and it's the cat's meow. Way too bulky for backpacking, but if you're just car camping, that's a great choice.

John

[Edited on 3-17-2019 by John Harper]

4x4abc - 3-17-2019 at 08:57 AM

I went the other way
lost 4o lbs and ditched the air mattress

Jack Swords - 3-17-2019 at 09:15 AM

Went ultra-lite backpacking years ago...Therm-a-rest NeoAire Xlite: 12 oz, size of waterbottle packed, R value 3.2...reflective layer for heat, 20 degree insulation. In Baja used on cot, in Sierras on the ground. Changed all backpacking gear and went from 38 lbs to 24 lbs for a full week or more. Like carrying a daypack. Sleeping on a cot with out a pad is cold as the sleeping bag insulation under you is squished and ineffective.

wilderone - 3-17-2019 at 09:33 AM

Self-inflating, closed cell foam pads, half inflated surf mat - all good. Even better, double them up for better insulation and more cushion. My favorite is a Thermarest Basecamp AF - just a few puffs needed, lightweight, doesn't take up much space, 2" cushion. Grandson should be comfortable on this. Pillow is important too; when I luxury car camp (relatively speaking), I take a sofa pillow (smaller than a bed pillow), and use a pillowcase with it (flannel is nice). Instead of taking from your sofa at home, they're readily available in thrift stores for $2. Those 6" inflatable air mattresses are very bulky and take a long time to fill up using your accessory attachment.

mtgoat666 - 3-17-2019 at 09:58 AM

Therma-rest mondoking 3D.
Self-inflating 4”-thick mattress.
Good for car camping, or kayak/canoe trip. Too heavy for backpacking.

pacificobob - 3-17-2019 at 10:12 AM

i have used the "go cot" really an excellent option.

https://store.campingcot.com/

norte - 3-17-2019 at 10:36 AM

I used o rolled up feather bed mattress the last couple of times out. Very comfy and even though most vehicles have a 110 outlet now-a-days...didn't need it.

TMW - 3-17-2019 at 10:52 AM

I have an extra wide army style cot. It's about 36 inches wide. I don't remember who I got it from but an on line search will show where to get em. I have seen them in ads from Big 5. I use a moving pad or two depending.

sancho - 3-17-2019 at 04:17 PM

We're close to age weight, another Thermarest vote, borrowed
one yrs. back, was sold on it. Being a cheap $$$, I might
look for a used one, they have changed some model names over
time, I used a camp luxury (name may be off). They make
a few models, some for backpacking, some narrow, which the
weight for car camping not a problem, with the heavy ones. Wife
uses a cot, a bit bulky, but comfortable

JZ - 3-17-2019 at 05:43 PM

Cot, plus a good self inflating pad.

Air mattresses are worthless.

[Edited on 3-18-2019 by JZ]

Hook - 3-17-2019 at 06:37 PM

I like cots, but I still need a self-inflating mattress to go on top of it. Even though I have a high end, very tight Slumberjack cot, I dont like the way your spine goes out of alignment when you lay on your side. You're like a slight U-shape. The mattress alleviates this. Mine is a Thermarest from their base camping line.

True air mattresses move around too much and are too noisy.

del mar - 3-17-2019 at 06:46 PM

my aging bones love the air mattress......

advrider - 3-17-2019 at 08:06 PM

+++++ On a good air mattress... Cheap one's not so much.

verichip - 3-17-2019 at 10:35 PM

closed cell foam
https://www.rei.com/product/127033/big-agnes-third-degree-fo...

and an airpad on top. Closed cell foam does not pop on a cold night, nor is it comfortable.

Some sleeping pad reviews here

John M - 3-18-2019 at 05:11 AM

https://expeditionportal.com/sleeping-pads-the-mother-of-all...

Bring your wallet for some of 'em

John M

Santiago - 3-18-2019 at 05:20 AM

Thanks all.

Skipjack Joe - 3-20-2019 at 02:45 AM

Another vote for thermarest, although it seems you've tried them and were dissatisfied. Perhaps a thicker one. Let's face it. Nothing is going to feel like a bed.

Cherish your time with grandson. Tell him tall tales. Act like you're Kit Carson.

Bedrolls

pappy - 3-20-2019 at 09:52 AM

Check out Bullkelp Bedrolls...designed and used by wilderness professionals...

bajaric - 3-20-2019 at 10:02 AM

I got a memory foam mattress that had been discarded and "deconstructed" it. The memory foam was discarded (too bulky and heavy) but on the top it had a five inch thick layer of regular foam with egg crate shape on one side. The foam goes on top of a sheet of plywood in the bed up my pickup. I put a 6' table with folding legs on top of the foam and slide storage totes in on top of the table. When I get where I am going I take out the totes, take out the table, and have a comfy bed and a big table. Of course this would not work for backpacking because the foam is about three feet in diameter if you roll it up but oh man is it comfortable.

Bedrolls

pappy - 3-20-2019 at 10:03 AM

John Harper - 3-20-2019 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pappy  

That looks more like my REI bivy sack.

John

Hook - 3-20-2019 at 12:45 PM

There's always the famous (and expensive) Paco Pad that river runners use. 200-300 bones.

Alm - 3-21-2019 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
g again. I need to upgrade but the camping sites have a gillion options

Because there are gillions of camping styles and comfort levels.

For car camping I would take either a very thick self-inflated mat, or a cot with a thinner self-inflated mat. Thermarest is the gold standard for self-inflated, possibly there are other good brands, I didn't look, and unknown Chinese knock-offs are abundant, beware of those.

Air mattress if another option for car camping, but the ratio of good ones to poor quality ones is like 1:10.

For hiking/kayaking I would use a medium-thick self-inflated Thermarest with a blue foam pad underneath. Foam will protect the Thermarest. Cot would be nice but not always possible in this scenario.