BajaNomad

Any good diesel mechanics in Loreto?

JZ - 4-5-2019 at 05:43 PM

Truck is almost due for a good 80K maintenance. Change all fluids, filters, inspection, etc.

Gonna leave the truck in Loreto for 3-4 months, and debating whether to do it here before coming down or not.

Can you get all the stuff you need down there. Similar prices of fluids to the US?

[Edited on 4-6-2019 by JZ]

AKgringo - 4-5-2019 at 07:42 PM

I have never had work done, or shopped for automotive supplies in Loreto, but I have in La Paz, Even at Walmart, or Auto Zone, the prices seemed about 20% higher than NOB! (three year old info)

Lee - 4-5-2019 at 09:39 PM

Consider bringing all supplies needed -- fluids, filters, etc.

Loretana would know.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=57238

Howard - 4-5-2019 at 09:43 PM

I highly suggest you bring what you need with you. It will definitely be less money but more importantly you will have everything you need. As you know, labor is cheap by NOB standards and highly suggest a mechanic by the name of Meno. His number is 613 135 0195. He speaks limited English but is very good and extremely honest.

When are you coming to town? Maybe I can assist.

Loretana - 4-5-2019 at 11:10 PM

JZ....we now have an AUTO ZONE in Loreto....
a major improvement, and parts are more readily available

My pal the mechanic Ruben Diaz has traded locations with his son, Fili.
Fili now occupies the large walled compound just a kilometer or so south of Loreto town turnoff of Hwy 1

A lot of Folks like and prefer Fili, but I'm sticking with his Dad Ruben.

A shop that specializes in Diesel motors.... (??)

defrag4 - 4-6-2019 at 05:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I highly suggest you bring what you need with you. It will definitely be less money but more importantly you will have everything you need. As you know, labor is cheap by NOB standards and highly suggest a mechanic by the name of Meno. His number is 613 135 0195. He speaks limited English but is very good and extremely honest.

When are you coming to town? Maybe I can assist.

Meno has a F350 powerstroke torn down in his shop right now, working on swapping in a new motor, he should be able to handle a fluid change no sweat!

autozone has all the fluids you will need, albeit at slightly jacked up prices

id bring the filters from up north if you like to use OEM stuff

billklaser - 4-6-2019 at 01:43 PM

I second either Fili or Ruben, have used them both starting 30 yrs ago. Personally I have a F-350 with a 7.3 power stroke and do all the routine maintenance myself. Fairly easy if you are inclined for this sort of thing.

Lee - 4-6-2019 at 03:46 PM

I've only dealt with Auto Zone in Cabo and La Paz.

Seriously, don't trust them to have everything you want.

Reuben. Courtesy of Loretana

BigWooo - 4-6-2019 at 07:22 PM

My last trip to Autozone, about 4 months ago, they only had Quaker state oil that didn't meet the standards of newer diesel engines.