Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Mechanics in Baja
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 09:46 AM

Hey Lee, maybe get a more reliable car???? ;D Just kidding, Happy New Year!

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 10:42 AM

Lee,
I highly recommend Ruben for any/all repairs in Loreto. cell #613-114-6191
His English is quite good.

His shop is in a large walled compound just past the Loreto Airport turnoff on the International Highway, right side, going south. It sits alone, so you can't miss it.

Plus, he is totally reasonable, and fun to hang out with!

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
Lee,
I highly recommend Ruben for any/all repairs in Loreto. cell #613-114-6191
His English is quite good.

His shop is in a large walled compound just past the Loreto Airport turnoff on the International Highway, right side, going south. It sits alone, so you can't miss it.

Plus, he is totally reasonable, and fun to hang out with!

I totally agree he saved my bacon and my vacation. while he worked on my vehicle we took the time to explore Loreto and had a enjoyable delay in our trip:tumble::tumble:

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 10:57 AM

Lee, you wanna take the heat for sending someone, unwitingly, to a guy who is now a bandito but was a saint/magician when first encountered?

The list, by it's existance, will necessarily exclude thousands of saint/mechanics all up and down Baja who are not represented by THE REMEMBERERS who just happen not to come forward.

A list of service providers in my village, for example, had five or six people on it that I think should be in prison and it did not have about an even number of people I would give all my keys to without at doubt or a worry.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 10:59 AM
Mulege mechanico

In Mulege it's Señor Oscar Rodriguez Luna.

Read this thread.

His shop is just off the highway (west side) as you come into town from the north (look for 'Ray's' sign on the highway) - Oscar's shop is less than 100m off the highway.

"I'm too young to be this old!"
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Lee, you wanna take the heat for sending someone, unwitingly, to a guy who is now a bandito but was a saint/magician when first encountered?

Much too political. This thread isn't about me taking heat. I don't know any mechanics so can't endorse anyone. I bet Shari and Juan know someone in GN or nearby? THAT is the kind of endorsement I'd take if I needed a mechanic in GN. Better than asking strangers on the street.

Specific kind of mechanic? CAR AND TRUCK MECHANIC! Most people drive cars in Baja, some drive trucks. Include diesel too.

A search of mechanic and a dozen posts and I've already lost interest. I'm thinking one list of mechanics would benefit ALL NOMADS here. One thread with reputable mechanics. Personal experience or reputation. I bet Dennis knows someone in Ensenada he'd recommend.

So far, we have a mechanic in Loreto and one in Mulege.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
I bet Dennis knows someone in Ensenada he'd recommend.

The man who works for me is the best in this area, consensus says, but we're out here in Punta Banda.
Vicente, the mechanic, is mobile and confines his work to house calls. He avoids electrical problems unless they're really basic and won't even say the words, "automatic transmission."
Call me if you need him. U2U me for a phone number if you plan to be driving through.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 03:38 PM

"A man has got to know his limitations" as Dirty Harry would say. I respect that a lot down there where it is often viewed
as walking away from money to be made if you don't at least hazard a wild try at something.
Much easier said than done in Baja where for better or worse,people will sometimes in the name of being helpfull get in over their heads.
I do think that a list updated often of go to mechanics along the length of the peninsula would be great.
What would also be good would be a resonable towing service if such a thing exists in case you find yourself having
to get your rig back to the border or some major town
with out having to pay an arm and a leg.

[Edited on 1-2-2012 by vacaenbaja]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Call me if you need him. U2U me for a phone number if you plan to be driving through.

I want to post your guy's phone number here. Mobile is good! Unless you think he wouldn't want his number listed here.

Dennis how about your phone number here? Nomads should call you if they want your guy? What?

Hoping Shari and Juan will check in and someone in LP and Cabo?

Reuben in Loreto looks like my bro-in-law. This is the kind of guy I'm looking for here.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 04:38 PM

Inasmuch as Lee lives in Pescadero, when I first read his post, I was wondering whether he was looking for his own local needs, or to create a data base up and down the peninsula.

Reading through, it does seem like the latter.

That said, for Lee and others on the bottom of the peninsula, you really cannot do better than these guys.

http://gringopages.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.4.1.1... =0&PageIndex=13&Mode=popup-single&WindowWidth=530&AdRect=32.4,402.9,361.7,174.3&WindowHeight=297&Language=enu&Archival=0#& lt; br />

About ten years ago, my son-in-law had trouble with his Toyota truck while in Cabo. He was recommended to a guy outside San Jose. Long story short, after paying this guy, the truck broke down again near Guerrero Negro. Also turns out the owner of that shop was a convicted child molester on the lam.

[Edited on 1-2-2012 by Bajahowodd]
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Lee

"Reuben in Loreto looks like my bro-in-law. This is the kind of guy I'm looking for here."

The other cool thing about Ruben is that he is a good machinist and has every tool imaginable. I've had him make fittings and fasteners for stuff like my laundry room German design (!) Grohe faucet.........

He repairs all manner of boat engines, he's been the "go to" guy here in LTO since the 80's. (at least that's when I met him)

Yes, there are other competent engine mechanics here in Loreto, but I know I can trust Ruben.

The only thing he doesn't like to work on is air conditioning but he's forgiven. :saint:

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 04:58 PM

I also can highly recommend Rueben in Loreto, and from what I hear from others that his son is also good mechanic.
Larry
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 05:02 PM
mech's

hola,having a car mec work a on a marine engine,,is like having a dentest do brain surgery,,or vis vrisa,,every year,,I'll get 2 or 3 boat's ,that, the guy's,brother in law,,the top mec at the blah,blah...dealership,atemp's to repair a boat and ,usally,end's up costing the owner a easya couple of grand and more to clean up, the damage !! just saying,what I see in my line of work !!! boat motor's are not cheap,,,and the bigger horse power and with injection,ecu's and electrical systems,that if, they do not know,understand them, like the back of his hand,,you can get in a big pile of doo doo quik !! K&T :cool:

[Edited on 1-3-2012 by captkw]
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 05:09 PM
There is an Excellent Auto Repair Shop in Rosarito

Jonnie's.

If you want more info, I would be happy to post his address and phone number.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

I want to post your guy's phone number here. Mobile is good! Unless you think he wouldn't want his number listed here.

Dennis how about your phone number here? Nomads should call you if they want your guy? What?

Hoping Shari and Juan will check in and someone in LP and Cabo?

Reuben in Loreto looks like my bro-in-law. This is the kind of guy I'm looking for here.

Ruben's son has a shop on hwy 1 in town he is also a very good mechanic stays very busy he's the one that recomended me to Ruben
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 09:05 AM

How about in the San Quintin area up to Camalu?
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 09:33 AM

howdy Lee....sorry for not checking in sooner...super busy with the wedding. In case of car trouble in the Vizcaino area...Refracciones Y Accesorios DEL VALLE is the best bet for getting back on the road ...right at the bus terminal. It is across and a bit south of the original Pemex and a big big place that carries the best selection of car parts in central baja and an excellent shop...and if ya need to stay overnight, Hotel Olivia is a half a block away and great. they are very professional and I'd have work done there instead of GN.

In GN, for engine stuff, we use Chino's automotive a block south of the bus terminal..ask anyone...but as mentioned, each town has their specialties...like in Vizcaino, there is a transmission wizard...but he's slow, and GN has a 4 wheel drive guy who is fantastic...electronics guys etc...each place has special guys for special fixes. Sometimes it's best to ask the hotel receptionist or gas attendants for recommendations.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 09:58 AM

You didn't mention San Felipe, however, there is a retired Lexus mechanic Mike Hailey, that lives and operates inside of Pete's Camp just north of San Felipe.

If you go to the bar at Pete's camp anyone can tell you where to find him. His shop is just before the bar on the North side of the street, but there are no signs.

He does great work and has fixed many vehicles for me, including, rebuilding the motor in my Polaris quad
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2012 at 08:45 AM

Close to compiling a list.

Need a number/address for Jonnie's in Rosarito.

Guess Dennis won't divulge his mobile source in Ensenada.

Anyone else with connections in Ensenada?

San Quintin? La Paz? Cabo/SJ area?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2012 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Much too political.

The very question by the OP looks a bit political to me. it's hard to understand why would anybody need a list of mechanics in any town from TJ to Cabo, unless he is running some business and doing daily trips all over the peninsula.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.