BajaNomad

Sentri Taking Forever

Ateo - 5-23-2019 at 05:42 PM

Renewing my Sentri....think I’ve been waiting 3 months for approval. Thank you government shutdown.

elgatoloco - 5-23-2019 at 07:03 PM

In same boat. if you started before expiration its still good to use. :cool:

DanO - 5-24-2019 at 09:45 AM

Renewed my Sentri last year, it took 5 months. During the interview at Otay, the CBP officer asked why I was doing Sentri instead of Global Entry, which apparently takes less time. I said I've always had Sentri, and he looked at me like I was an idiot and shrugged (this happens to me a lot). I'm guessing that the difference in wait times, if there is one, is that Global Entry is limited to American citizens and citizens of a limited number of countries, while Sentri is open to anyone who qualifies, so the Sentri background checks take longer. For purposes of using the Sentri lanes, for TSA Pre, and for expedited customs approval for international travel, I can't discern any difference between Sentri and Global Entry, both cards appear to be valid for all three.

JZ - 5-24-2019 at 09:58 AM

One benefit of Sentri over GE is that all your minor kids can get it for free, vs. $100 per kid with GE.

I might have gone for Sentri if I knew that to save $300.

Doug/Vamonos - 5-26-2019 at 07:41 AM

Call me confused...

I thought Sentri and Global Entry were one and the same. That with a Sentri card I could activate Global Entry? Are you saying they are two different programs? Do you still get a Sentri card or is it actually a Global Entry card? Mine expires in February 2020 so I guess it's time to get started.

[Edited on 5-26-2019 by Doug/Vamonos]

Pacifico - 5-26-2019 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
Call me confused...

I thought Sentri and Global Entry were one and the same. That with a Sentri card I could activate Global Entry? Are you saying they are two different programs? Do you still get a Sentri card or is it actually a Global Entry card? Mine expires in February 2020 so I guess it's time to get started.

[Edited on 5-26-2019 by Doug/Vamonos]

It is confusing to say the least... Back when I got my Sentri card years ago, the agent said that she added Global Entry and TSA pre-check since it was no additional cost. Global Entry allows you to use the trusted traveler / G.E. kiosks at airports when coming into the U.S. from international flights.

Now, you can just get Global Entry and add a vehicle and it gives you the same rights or access as Sentri. It includes TSA pre-check as well.

I had a friend just get his G.E. and the whole process only took him about 3 weeks!!!

Pacifico - 5-26-2019 at 09:06 AM

Doug/Vamonos - 5-27-2019 at 07:27 AM

Thanks for the info Pacifico. Sounds like GE is the way to go. And cheaper!

Bajazly - 5-27-2019 at 08:02 AM

Does it matter if you are living in Mexico full time when applying for the first time? ie. having a permanent Mexican address instead of a US address.

apple - 5-27-2019 at 06:01 PM

Took about 6 months for my Sentri last summer. My GF got her GE in about a month while I was waiting.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between Sentri and Global Entry, is that you pay up front to register your car with Sentri, with Global Entry you pay to add it after you're approved. Other than that, they are the same. TSA precheck with each, expedited customs when flying home, etc.

JZ - 5-28-2019 at 11:31 AM

There is no extra cost to register a vehicle with GE. You do it upfront in the application.

The differences are:
- Sentri costs a little more for an individual
- Sentri is free for minor kids; GE costs $100 per person
- You can get Sentri with a non-resident Visa, not so with GE

[Edited on 5-28-2019 by JZ]

Ateo - 6-1-2019 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
In same boat. if you started before expiration its still good to use. :cool:

I submitted a month before expiration Gato. You saying I can use it even tho it expired?

Gracias all.

Jon

SENTRI Renewal

bajaguy - 6-1-2019 at 05:50 PM

The secret to SENTRI renewal - You can renew (or switch to Global Entry) up to a year in advance to your expiration date and the new renewal doesn't start until your old expiration date.......renew early, real early

aburruss - 6-1-2019 at 06:31 PM

Just took the wife and kiddos in for their SENTRI yesterday. The guy doing the interview/process suggested we change them from SENTRI to GE... and only extra charge was $14/kid for fingerprinting, not $100.

Credit card charge confirms this.

*shrug*

JZ - 6-2-2019 at 09:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
Just took the wife and kiddos in for their SENTRI yesterday. The guy doing the interview/process suggested we change them from SENTRI to GE... and only extra charge was $14/kid for fingerprinting, not $100.

Credit card charge confirms this.

*shrug*

Interesting. You couldn't have done that by starting them at GE. With GE you pay $100/kid during the application part, not when you go to the interview.

Ateo - 6-28-2019 at 07:31 PM

Still nothing...................is it taking 4 months for others to RENEW?

azucena - 6-30-2019 at 05:30 PM

I have a GE app pending. When I first started it, the website said to expect an interview in four to six weeks. Now, it says expect 11 weeks or more due to govt shutdown which delayed apps. It also mentioned limited places to get the necessary interview. I started the process in April, and there was no mention of a delay due to shutdown, but now there is. Pues, quien sabe?

del mar - 6-30-2019 at 05:41 PM

this may have already been posted....from CBP page. (end of may)

The extended partial government shutdown has resulted in a substantial backlog of CBP's Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) applications and renewals.

Applicants for Global Entry (GE), SENTRI, NEXUS and FAST should expect significant delays in application processing times and limited appointment availability at TTP enrollment centers.

solosancarlos - 6-30-2019 at 08:15 PM

it could be that the "Hamberders" are overwhelming them

mtgoat666 - 6-30-2019 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by solosancarlos  

Its due to all the covfefe

mtgoat666 - 6-30-2019 at 08:47 PM

Trump diverted staff and $$ to fund the wall and concentration camps for brown-skinned refugees.
Did you notice trumps in laws got citizenship through chain migration? Trump says he is going to ban chain migration for everyone else except norwegians and his commie inlaws.

solosancarlos - 6-30-2019 at 09:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by solosancarlos  

Its due to all the covfefe

or, the Nambians

Ateo - 7-20-2019 at 10:34 PM

Still waiting..................Thank you Trump.

JZ - 7-20-2019 at 11:28 PM

That is crazy. Hopefully soon.

SFandH - 7-21-2019 at 05:23 AM

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1332/~/i-have-s...

"The extended partial government shutdown and the ongoing humanitarian and security crisis on our southern border has resulted in a substantial backlog of CBP's Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) applications and renewals.

Applicants for Global Entry (GE), SENTRI, NEXUS and FAST should expect significant delays in application processing times and limited appointment availability at TTP enrollment centers.

Global Entry and FAST: up to 100 days
NEXUS 3-5 months
SENTRI: 8-10 months. This includes vehicle enrollments."

"The vetting process cannot be expedited. If you submitted a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date)."

[Edited on 7-21-2019 by SFandH]

mtgoat666 - 7-21-2019 at 07:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

"The extended partial government shutdown and the ongoing humanitarian and security crisis on our southern border has resulted in a substantial backlog of CBP's Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) applications and renewals.

NEXUS 3-5 months

"The vetting process cannot be expedited. If you submitted a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date)."

Trump is the chief executive. He seems to have really flocked up homeland security. The list is growing,.... Detention camps. Facebook group of bigoted homeland security employees. Children in cages. Children dieing in cages. Inability to manage the bureaucracy (e.g. sentri, goes processing).

SFandH - 7-21-2019 at 08:33 AM

SENTRI enrollment centers are just along the southern border. GOES enrollment centers are all over the country at selected airports and Canadian ports of entry. It appears to be a much larger program.

If I were faced with renewing a SENTRI card I'd consider just switching to GOES. And GOES definitely for initial enrollment.

GOES enrollment centers: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-...

SENTRI centers: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/sentri/...

bajaguy - 7-21-2019 at 08:42 AM

On renewal we switched to Global Entry - Approval in about 14 days. Added a second vehicle - Approval in 8 days

My recommendation is ditch SENTRI and go with Global Entry

SENTRI enrollment centers are just along the southern border. GOES enrollment centers are all over the country at selected airports and Canadian ports of entry. It appears to be a much larger program.

If I were faced with renewing a SENTRI card I'd consider just switching to GOES. And GOES definitely for initial enrollment.

GOES enrollment centers: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-...

surfhat - 7-21-2019 at 09:41 AM

Oh, the humanity, or rather the lack of. As many know, this plea goes all the way back to the Hindenburg in the 30's.

How we have allowed our standing in the world to be degraded with be forever to our disgrace.

We have allowed our nation to withdraw from the UN protection of human rights commission without a whimper, all to support, just what?

Concentration camps on our southern border?

Taking kids away from their parents while deporting their parents back to the horrors that they were seeking to save their families from?

As much as I respect some here for their generous and selfless efforts to bring history to the fore so it will not be lost forever, I find it troubling that some refuse to acknowledge the truth.

We have become known as a nation of human rights violators in order to support policies that are an anathema to what our nation has always stood for.

I rarely enter into these frays because of what inevitably will follow. I must be a glutton for punishment, but once in a while a call for all of us Baja lovers overrides my instincts.

Peace, love and fish tacos remains a mantra. I wish it was the same for all here.

Bajazly - 7-21-2019 at 11:58 AM

Applied for Global Entry on Tuesday 7/16, got and email Saturday 7/20, went to set an appointment and the earliest available was Monday 7/22.

apple - 7-21-2019 at 03:15 PM

A coworker just got his GE in like 3 weeks. That's from application to receiving the card. It's a ways out, but I'll definitely be switching to GE when my renewal comes

tjsue - 7-23-2019 at 11:25 AM

I've been trying to apply for GE, since my Sentri is up for renewal, but no success.

Every time I log in, it takes me to my Sentri renewal page, and most of the information on there needs to be updated anyway.

DawnPatrol - 7-23-2019 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
On renewal we switched to Global Entry - Approval in about 14 days. Added a second vehicle - Approval in 8 days

when you did that switch from Sentri to Global did you first log into your Sentri account ? Then whats the next step (if you can remember)
Thanks
Alan

tjsue - 7-23-2019 at 09:54 PM

But how do you switch from Sentri to GE? I have to log in, and it takes me to my Sentri page, and all of the information is outdated, anyway.

DanO - 7-23-2019 at 10:32 PM

When you renew, select GE instead of Sentri. Can't switch midstream.

tjsue - 7-24-2019 at 09:05 AM

I tried, and it won't let me. I sent the question to CBP, so hopefully they can help.

SENTRI or Global Entry

bajaguy - 7-24-2019 at 09:48 AM

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1759/~/applied-...

tjsue - 7-24-2019 at 07:37 PM

Thanks, that worked, but it won't accept anything except a passport for citizenship, and not my passport card, so I'm going to try to call them in the morning.

Edit: I called and got VM, so I sent an email. Hopefully, they'll respond soon, so I can get it done and over with. It's all finished with the exception of that one problem.

[Edited on 7-25-2019 by tjsue]

Email was returned, back to square one.

[Edited on 7-25-2019 by tjsue]

Ateo - 7-25-2019 at 10:47 PM

Thanks for the link! Crazy!!!

Jon

NEXUS 3-5 months

Ateo - 7-25-2019 at 10:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Mine has an always has been Global Entry............That's what I'm waiting for............since March.

tjsue - 7-26-2019 at 12:16 PM

I don't have a problem with the wait, my application problem is that it won't accept anything but a passport for citizenship, and to enter the US.

My passport expired in 1995, I have a current passport card, and a birth certificate, which my Sentri application accepted five years ago. I emailed CBP through their website, but it can take up to two weeks to get an answer.

Any suggestions?

mtgoat666 - 7-26-2019 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tjsue  
I don't have a problem with the wait, my application problem is that it won't accept anything but a passport for citizenship, and to enter the US.

My passport expired in 1995, I have a current passport card, and a birth certificate, which my Sentri application accepted five years ago. I emailed CBP through their website, but it can take up to two weeks to get an answer.

Any suggestions?

SENTRI is only for mex/usa land border, so the passport card is acceptable ID.
GE is for air transit across borders and land borders, so since the passport card is not usable for air travel, I suspect they would not give GE to someone with only a passport card and lacking a passport.
During interview they ask to see passport.

tjsue - 7-26-2019 at 10:09 PM

All of my information is in the database from when I got my Sentri five years ago. If I didn't qualify for GE, I wouldn't have been able to apply for instead of renewing my Sentri. I have no use for an actual passport, and have no plans to get another one.

Hopefully, it won't take two weeks for them to get back to me, since I'd like to get the application submitted.

SFandH - 7-27-2019 at 08:20 AM

Any suggestions?

Get a passport book.

Having a passport card but not a book is somewhat unusual. Usually, people get the card in addition to the book. The book is accepted everywhere, the card has limited use.

Starting 1 October 2020 you'll need either the "Real ID" CA driver's license or a passport book to get on an airplane. I recommend you get a passport book. The main San Diego office on Midway has a passport office that can handle all application situations, including expedited applications.

bajaguy - 7-27-2019 at 08:36 AM

Starting 1 October 2020 you'll need either the "Real ID" CA driver's license or a passport book to get on an airplane. I recommend you get a passport book. The main San Diego office on Midway has a passport office that can handle all application situations, including expedited applications.

All travelers flying on a domestic flight must present a photo ID issued at the state or federal level, such as a state driver's license that meets Real ID requirements, military ID or the United States passport. In addition to these commonly used forms of identification, passport cards, trusted traveler cards (such as the NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST cards issued by the Department of Homeland Security), border-crossing cards, Native American tribal ID cards, airline or airport photo ID cards issued in compliance with TSA regulations and transportation worker ID credentials also are acceptable forms of identification.

SFandH - 7-27-2019 at 08:38 AM

Oh, OK, thanks for the correction. I didn't know the assortment of cards would work. Seems to weaken the security.

I still recommend a regular passport book. It's like a master key that unlocks all doors.

[Edited on 7-27-2019 by SFandH]

tjsue - 7-27-2019 at 11:30 AM

My passport card works just fine when I cross the border, and I don't need a passport book. My current one expired in 1995, I haven't needed one yet, and it's an additional expense that I can't afford, anyway. When I got my new CDL, it's a Real ID, so I can use that if I decide to fly somewhere.

I thought that someone on would be able to answer my question, but it looks like no one can. So I guess I'll have to cross the border next month, and ask CBP if they can answer my question, as to only a passport is accepted as an id on a GE application.

Whale-ista - 7-27-2019 at 02:37 PM

Thanks for the discussion and reminder. I just submitted a renewal application for GE- hoping all goes smoothly and the delays aren't too long. But as stated below: you can use your card up to 1 year after expiration so long as you've submitted a renewal application.

FYI: here are details re:renewal process, from the site's FAQ page:

"You become eligible to renew your membership 1 year prior to program expiration. If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 1 year after your membership expiration date. Follow these steps to renew your Trusted Traveler membership:

"Log in to the TTP website (click https://ttp.dhs.gov).

"If you don't have a login.gov account, you will be directed to login.gov to create an account first then you will be prompted to setup your TTP account profile. On the profile page, you will need to associate the account with your PASSID (membership number). See the back of your Trusted Traveler card or your approval letter.

"From your Dashboard, select the Renew button on your Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST program membership section.

"You must declare your citizenship (if you are a US Citizen, you declare "U.S.").

"Select the program that you wish to renew. You may select to renew another program for which you are eligible. However, remember that depending on the program you choose, your benefits may change. On the next page, acknowledge the program requirements.

"Follow the guidelines provided on the Membership Renewal page.

"When you have updated all information in the application, on the Final Review page, click Confirm and Continue in each section. At the bottom of the page, click Save and Continue.

"On the Certify page, answer Yes or No to "Do you certify?"

"Select Next. The Purchase Summary page will display.

"Fees are for application processing and are non-refundable. Check the box under the total application fee to agree and proceed.

"Select Pay Now. The online payment page displays.

"After payment, you will be returned to your TTP Dashboard."

I have had SENTRI since it began nearly 20 years ago, when I had a home near Ensenada as well as in San Diego. It was life changing at the time the program began.

A woman at the Otay office suggested adding GE when I renewed last time, at no additional charge. Given the costs of private "trusted traveller" services- these cards have more than paid for themselves many times over.

If you enjoy travel, and want to avoid unnecessary delays- I encourage anyone considering this to apply and/or renew and enjoy the advantages of being enrolled in the programs.

tjsue - 7-27-2019 at 04:50 PM

I'm going to apply for GE by starting a new account, and see what happens.

mtgoat666 - 7-27-2019 at 08:25 PM

Just get sentri. Same price as GE.

tjsue - 7-28-2019 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Just get sentri. Same price as GE.

Sentri is $122, GE is $100. I have Sentri, GE is less.

[Edited on 7-28-2019 by tjsue]

eguillermo - 9-16-2019 at 03:42 PM

Good grief, the government's stuff is so broken . . .

I just searched here, found this thread, and tried to open a GE application; but the consent dialog doesn't work -- it is just frozen, even if I log out and back in -- and so I can't apply.

Have waited six months on a Sentry application already, and begin to despair of having a way to avoid the heinous lines this winter.

Plus, by working around I can at least see appointments, and the only thing before 2/2020 is November in Calexico -- and I'm from Santa Cruz. Jeez Uncle Sam. I'll pay ya double, if you can just actually do the thing!!!

JZ - 9-16-2019 at 03:55 PM

Seems like GE gets approved much faster.

Whiskey Witch - 9-17-2019 at 06:39 AM

I wondered about the length of time between applying for GE and getting an interview. I could not reach anyone by phone nor find a good answer on the website. A few weeks ago I was able to talk to an official at the GE interview office at the San Francisco airport. She said that one has a year to do the interview after applying. And that the interview can be requested without an appointment (once your application is processed) upon arrival into the u.s. by air. That's what we will do, as the next time we travel out of Mexico we will be flying.

Bajazly - 9-17-2019 at 07:59 AM

Once I received my GE approval, on a Saturday about 2 or 3 weeks after I submitted it, I went to make an appointment for the interview and the earliest possible was Monday. Every day after that was wide open.

I waited to schedule the appointment because I wasn't going to be near the border for a few weeks and when I did get around to making the app, I think the first one was about a week out and after that again, wide open. This was at Calexico and I think I remember San Diego being maybe a couple months out. Kind of depends where you want to do the interview I spose.

JZ - 9-17-2019 at 12:25 PM

I did the GE interview at LAX - in the Tom Bradley terminal. It took a little more than a month, maybe six weeks. Calexico was available immediately.

My kids did it at the new place right near LAX. Had to wait about a month. Less of a crowd at the new office compared to the tiny room they had at Tom Bradley. We were in and out w/in 20 mins of arriving.

ZipLine - 9-17-2019 at 06:32 PM

I drove to Calexico to get it done. Cut out some long waits. Had to drive up, rent a motel room and go the next day - but the staff were cordial and pleasant to work with.

A bit out in the weeds, but kind of like visiting a foreign country.

I think you'll find nicer people there to help you.