BajaNomad

a week in La Paz

Mother of Dragons - 5-29-2019 at 04:38 PM

Well I made it!
Feels great to be back, it’s been 3 looong years since I’ve been in Mexico!

I’ll be keeping a log here for me and for anyone else interested in La Paz.

Flights went well. Very very humid at SJD airport though and a bit humid in La Paz right now but not as bad as Cabo area.

Took around 3 hours to drive up from SJD but that’s pretty normal.

One “checkpoint” ,which was at the beginning of La Paz city, but the guy was just playing on his phone and didn’t look up.

Just went for a Pacifico and now going to rest for a bit.

David K - 5-29-2019 at 04:42 PM

Happy Landings!

MMc - 5-29-2019 at 04:47 PM

La Paz is a fantastic city. I love the beach to the north too. Enjoy yourself.

Mother of Dragons - 5-29-2019 at 04:51 PM

Thank you DavidK and MMc.

And MMc, I love La Paz as well and especially the beaches to the north. Can’t wait for tomorrow to get in the water!

AKgringo - 5-29-2019 at 07:44 PM

What kind of vehicle did you wind up renting? If you feel comfortable driving it on a moderately rough road, I know of a pretty little cove east of La Paz that I usually had to myself.

4x4 is not necessary to get near the beach, but if you want to keep your eyes on the car, the last fifty yards over a sand dune is an obstacle to deal with.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La+Paz,+Baja+California+Su...

Mother of Dragons - 5-30-2019 at 07:18 AM

Thank you AKgringo,
I’m in a normal car and think a sand dune may be too much for it but where is it so I can mark it on my map for the future. Thank you

AKgringo - 5-30-2019 at 07:52 AM

M.O.D., the link is from Google maps, so it is marked. On the lower left corner of the link, you can change to 'map view' and the roads should show up, then zoom out to see where it is.

I last visited that spot in 2015, and the road was mostly paved, with just a couple of miles of dirt at the end. There have been a few storms since then, but at that time, you could get there is almost any vehicle and park behind the dunes.

If you think you might be exploring that direction, I will try and provide more useful info (memory permitting!)

[Edited on 5-30-2019 by AKgringo]

fishbuck - 5-30-2019 at 09:57 AM

I hope you are having fun.

fishbuck - 5-30-2019 at 11:19 AM

I went to Tecolote a few times.
There are (were) a few beach clubs right on the sand.
Cool drink, food. People.
In front there were a few pangas. The Captains were young guys waiting for passengers.
I believe they would take you to Espirito Santu.
I was sitting on the sand enjoying a cold beverage in the hot sun and watching.
Eventually a small group of locals ladies found them.
The ladies were young and in "beachwear".
A few minutes talk and one of the young men pealed off his shirt and ran into the water and swam out a bit to the moored panga. He was very athletic and a powerful swimmer.
He untied and started the boat and eased it into the beach.
A few minutes of panga boarding and soon the bow was pointed at the island and full power applied.
As I was watching in awe and envy I think I saw him look back at me with a wink and a smile...
I knew I would need to live in Baja fulltime after that...
I was never the same again...

[Edited on 5-30-2019 by fishbuck]

Paco Facullo - 5-30-2019 at 12:05 PM

O' Dragon-Mother,

As I'll also be visiting La Paz shortly I'm doing a bit of research so this thread is of much interest .

One place that I'm going to check out is Dulce Romano. Great reviews.

Mother of Dragons - 5-30-2019 at 04:18 PM

Hi fishbuck, great story! It just takes that one perfect moment to see that you want to live life differently. And I suppose a boat full of women in “beachware” doesn’t hurt! Lol

Hi Paco,
I went by there this morning but had already had coffee and breakfast by then, woke up waaaaay too early.
It’s suoer cute and I will be going tomorrow for coffee and breakfast and can give my own review.

I’m at Tail hunter having a beer! You can’t miss me, lol

[Edited on 5-30-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

Mother of Dragons - 5-30-2019 at 04:37 PM

AK gringo.
I’ll try to find that beach. Thank you for the map link. I wonder if I can find the road, probably I’ll fly right past, lol

Alan - 5-30-2019 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mother of Dragons  
AK gringo.
I’ll try to find that beach. Thank you for the map link. I wonder if I can find the road, probably I’ll fly right past, lol
He is absolutely right. It is a beautiful beach and my wife I have often had it all to ourselves but I wouldn't recommend trying to find it in a typical rental car. You will be out there by yourself (hence the reason for going) so if you do get stuck you could be a long way from help. You might make it. I remember going out there a few years ago just before Semana Santa and followed a truck towing a trailer full of porta-potties for the upcoming 2 week party. Yet then again, you might not. Heck, I don't trust typical rental cars on some of the detours!:biggrin::biggrin:

Alan - 5-30-2019 at 06:06 PM

For breakfast I recommend Maria California. I think just their juice and smoothie menu alone is over 2 pages. They are always crowded but I've never really had to wait. The car wash guy always sees me coming and points out a parking spot so I get my car washed while having breakfast

Mother of Dragons - 5-30-2019 at 08:06 PM

No one seems to know why but it is party central here. It’s packed and tons of people drinking and lots of music. Everyone I ask says they don’t know why it’s so party like.

Today I went to Balandra for the day.
It was party central there too.
Tons of people, it was packed and everyone but me had coolers of beer, had I known I would’ve brought beers, anyways... it was packed and people were really drinking and lots of loud music.
Only bad part was the 3 drones people were flying. For forever. Right in your face. Otherwise it was gorgeous and fun to watch everyone enjoying their beers and each other ;)
I got a lot of sun today so just came in for the night.

JZ - 5-30-2019 at 09:28 PM

I've taken my kids to Baja about 30 times over the last 10 years.

LaPaz is their favorite spot. So much to do.

BajaBlanca - 5-30-2019 at 10:55 PM

Love La Paz!

Have a blast.

Here is a link to previous visits (EDIT)

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=89306#pid1109...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=89266#pid1109...

[Edited on 5-31-2019 by BajaBlanca]

Mother of Dragons - 6-1-2019 at 08:35 AM

*Iv havee been having timing out issues with WiFi so posting when I can*

Yesterday, day 2.5

I started the morning with my usual coffee and fruit and then a walk around town then decided to do the Isla espiritu boat trip.
My plans to go alone were dashed when I was told the price so went on the normal boat tour for $1300 pesos compared to $4500 for 3 hours alone.
Anyways,, was a great day on the water and in it. The woman that made the ceviche did a damn good job imo. It had cucumbers and carrots and celery and oregano in it. Yum
It was very busy out there. Tons of boats for tours and private boats.
I’m going to try to post pics, I may need to post one at a time thoigh, bear with me

[Edited on 6-1-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

[Edited on 6-1-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

Mother of Dragons - 6-1-2019 at 08:50 AM

After the boat trip, didn’t get back to hotel until almost 7pm, I just cleaned up, walked around town and went to La Fuente as usual, mango pina raspado, and then went to bed early as my skin is hurting! Too much sun in 2 days.

Today is a no beach day so my skin doesn’t hurt more.
I’m at Dulce Romero right now, enjoying the WiFi and meal.
It’s as great as everyone says and will post pics in a bit.

Lee - 6-1-2019 at 09:17 AM

I’m at Dulce Romero right now, enjoying the WiFi and meal.
It’s as great as everyone says and will post pics in a bit.

x2. Had breakfast there few months ago while car was being repaired nearby. Love this place. Including the people.

Perfect latte.

fishbuck - 6-1-2019 at 11:00 AM

Nice photos and report.
Thanks.

Mother of Dragons - 6-1-2019 at 11:14 AM

So it’s Marine Day today, I’ve noticed the Navy being visibly active the last couple days, but today they started with horns blowing early, a ceremony of some sort, lots of military music and bringing ships by for sort of a ‘float by’...proudly floating back and forth.

Mother of Dragons - 6-1-2019 at 11:21 AM

Breakfast at Dukce Romero this morning.

Excellent place, very CA/Europe type bakeryLots of pastries and breads baked there.
5 page menu, that’s for all 3 meals though.

I had a ‘bowl’ which was fruit, yogurt and honey with the ‘accompliante’ oatmeal which was really a frothy sweet milky drink, think warmed horchata. Apparently oatmeal was on it but I didn’t notice any.It’s on the left in pic and was really good whatever it was.
And I had a mocha which was excellent.

There were 5 pages on the menu, breakfast lunch and dinner but here is just 1

[Edited on 6-6-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

Mother of Dragons - 6-1-2019 at 11:38 AM

I will add more pics when WiFi stops timing out on me...grrrr

BajaBlanca - 6-1-2019 at 11:56 AM

Great pics and what a gorgeous day it was out on the water!

I do think you will like the quirkiness of Maria California...also, the waiters and waitresses have profit sharing, as well as a schedule that fits their classes, all very neat things.

The food is great as well. Would you like to meet a Canadian local? She is very interesting and has lived there beaucoup years. She runs a foundation to help families who live way up in the mountains with no elec and no running water.

Alan - 6-1-2019 at 11:57 AM

Great pics. Happy to see you are enjoying La Paz. Keep up the photos! I'm headed down Tue to pick up my waverunner to bring north.

mtgoat666 - 6-1-2019 at 12:31 PM

...and then went to bed early as my skin is hurting! Too much sun in 2 days.

Looks like you are wearing a tank top in the sun, not smart. For life on the water, wear a rash guard and board shorts, use sun screen and drink lots of water. Long sleeves and collars and broad brim hat are smart sun protection.

fishbuck - 6-1-2019 at 01:29 PM

So true about the sun there.
They don't call that line the "Tropic of Cancer" for nothing.
Go find spary on aloe.
Solarcane is best cause of that 'cane part.
It feels very nice there in the sun there so easy to get burned.

"Navy Day" I like it.
That kinda describes La Paz.
A busy Mexican port town with something always happening.
Find a comfy spot and watch what it happen and try and figure out what "it" is.
A few cool drinks in the sun and you won't care.

"Mañana" comes to mind...

Mother of Dragons - 6-2-2019 at 08:49 AM

Well yesterday I hung out on the hotel balcony, in the shade, after walking for a long time.
Took a mini nap and met fellow Nomad 4x4abc for dinner.

Harald and I had great sea bass, cooked in garlic and butter, lots of roasted garlic..yum..at La Costa.

We talked about living here and the global warming!

Thank you Harald for a great dinner and company!

I’m at Maria California now for breakfast. Will post pics and finish posting Dulce Romero pics when I can.

Alan...I saw your car wash guy out there, lol

[Edited on 6-2-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

Mother of Dragons - 6-2-2019 at 09:18 AM

Well I have been sitting at Maria California for an hour and 15 minutes and still no service even though they keep saying they will be right over so my review wouldn’t be great if I had the choice to make one.

tiotomasbcs - 6-2-2019 at 09:23 AM

The nice weather shows thru in your great pics. Good time of year in LP and East Cape as wind slows after April. Pacific side where I live is a bit foggy w/breezy days during the Spring. I love all areas of BCS as each has its good time to visit and enjoy. When you are headed home and Airport come on Hwy 19 thru Todos Santos. Much easier drive and it cruises the coast. Have fun and stay safe. Tio

Mother of Dragons - 6-2-2019 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
...and then went to bed early as my skin is hurting! Too much sun in 2 days.

Looks like you are wearing a tank top in the sun, not smart. For life on the water, wear a rash guard and board shorts, use sun screen and drink lots of water. Long sleeves and collars and broad brim hat are smart sun protection.

Well for the pic I crawled out of the shade, lol
I had a long sleeve rash guard and t shirt too to wear. Lots of water on me and 2 hats and the world’s best sunscreen on.

Mother of Dragons - 6-2-2019 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
The nice weather shows thru in your great pics. Good time of year in LP and East Cape as wind slows after April. Pacific side where I live is a bit foggy w/breezy days during the Spring. I love all areas of BCS as each has its good time to visit and enjoy. When you are headed home and Airport come on Hwy 19 thru Todos Santos. Much easier drive and it cruises the coast. Have fun and stay safe. Tio

I do take the 19.. did the 1 once and glad I did it but for now I use the 19.
Thank you

Mother of Dragons - 6-2-2019 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Go find spary on aloe.

"Navy Day" I like it.

I knew I would be hurting for a day, lol I love to be at the beach and I got no base tan before I came but still...I knew I would pay at least one day, lol
Luckily it just burns a little, not too white of a white girl lol
I am definitely finding spots to sit and watch..it’s always fun for me. Beer or margarita in hand :)

Mother of Dragons - 6-6-2019 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Great pics and what a gorgeous day it was out on the water!

I do think you will like the quirkiness of Maria California...also, the waiters and waitresses have profit sharing, as well as a schedule that fits their classes, all very neat things.

The food is great as well. Would you like to meet a Canadian local? She is very interesting and has lived there beaucoup years. She runs a foundation to help families who live way up in the mountains with no elec and no running water.

Oh Blanca, I would’ve loved to meet her but I just saw that part now. I’m home now and will be updating my report, got tired of my WiFi issues there. Next time :)

Mother of Dragons - 6-6-2019 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Go find spary on aloe.

"Navy Day" I like it.

Oh I love this! Thank you fishbuck and it’s all true

Mother of Dragons - 6-6-2019 at 09:00 AM

Well I have been sitting at Maria California for an hour and 15 minutes and still no service even though they keep saying they will be right over so my review wouldn’t be great if I had the choice to make one.

*I will be updating my trip today, finally, and adding photos to previous posts*

Some pics of Maria California

So after leaving Maria California, sadly as it looked amazing, I went back to the hotel and sat at the big restaurant and had chilaquiles divorciados which I looove and a mimosa.

Later I went kayaking at Balandra..no pics..sorry

Mother of Dragons - 6-6-2019 at 09:26 AM

Later I watched all the families having a blast on the Malecon...tons of people learning roller blading and lots of families on bikes

They were having open ship tours and tons of kids ringing bells on the ship

And then had Tostielote for dinner

And as usual, walked around and watched the action

Mother of Dragons - 6-6-2019 at 09:43 AM

Day before last day...
I had fish tacos for breakfast at my favorite stand, from memory I believe it’s on Indepencia and Prieto..I’ll have to check..ps I did have tacos there 2 other times but forget to take a pics..anyways, breakfast there

Then off to Balandra where the people next to me brought ‘a bar’

And made me a rum, soda water and coke..yay

Then some yummy cocolocos

Then back to the top balcony at hotel, the beach was getting too hot and crowded, for another Bacardi blanco y coke and nachos naturale

Then back to room for a sun break

Then I went to...of course..La Fuente for dinner...a Dragonfruit, name was fitting, sorbet.

Last sunset

(My plan to walk town again got thwarted when the boat tour guy showed up again and wouldn’t leave me alone about having wine with him..again..I was uncomfortable so just people watched from hotel balcony :()

[Edited on 6-7-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

David K - 6-6-2019 at 09:46 AM

Thank you for sharing your photos, Khaleesi!

Mother of Dragons - 6-6-2019 at 10:08 AM

Last morning
Was woken at 6:15am by a woman with a microphone yelling nonstop with AC/DC and Guns n Roses blasting in the background for some race

Ugh

Followed by proud graduates taking pics :)

then got ready for trip to airport
Drove down, stopped in Todos to walk around a bit then to airport, turned in rental car and then to airport.

Had two bad experiences with American Airlines, going down and returning, they overbooked both directions and were bumping 17 people on both flights. I was to be bumped until the next day but worked it to get on the plane. Again. Ugh..what a mess
Back home, my dog was the most excited to see me! Lol

Mother of Dragons - 6-6-2019 at 10:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thank you for sharing your photos, Khaleesi!

Thanks David, you’re always so friendly!

Mother of Dragons - 6-6-2019 at 10:15 AM

I’ll add some more pics and update accommodations thread with hotel pics I took later

Mother of Dragons - 6-6-2019 at 10:20 AM

The two biggest lessons I learned on this trip was I need to learn Spanish a heck of a lot better, anyone done Rosetta Stone tapes?, amd to not mention you’re there alone.

AK gringo, I went out to Tecolate amd past to look for the road to your secret beach but after looking at the condition of the road and what I was driving, a VW Jetta or gol it was called, I didn’t want to risk a flat tire or worse while being there alone.
A future trip for sure, thank you!

BajaBlanca - 6-6-2019 at 11:14 AM

I guess that is the last time I will recommend M California, what a letdown.

You can learn a LOT of Spanish for free on duo-lingo. My husband uses it. His Spanish has improved dramatically.

Glad you were safe and are home sound.

Mother of Dragons - 6-6-2019 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I guess that is the last time I will recommend M California, what a letdown.

You can learn a LOT of Spanish for free on duo-lingo. My husband uses it. His Spanish has improved dramatically.

Glad you were safe and are home sound.

Several people love it there. I don’t know what went on in my case but oh well. The wait staff was super young, like 14 yrs old young so maybe they didn’t know what to do? It was a cute place.
I myself would go again. I really think the wait staff was new and very young, maybe because school just got out?

Thank you for the duo-lingo red. I’ll look it up and get going on my lessons.

Paco Facullo - 6-6-2019 at 06:20 PM

No worries as I will be sure to check it out soon and report back.

Although when you check their reviews you will find the # 1 complaint is poor service...

I'd rather have poor service any day then bad food !
But waiting 1 1/2 hours is just push'n it too far ....

4x4abc - 6-6-2019 at 08:23 PM

where is "La Fuente"?

advrider - 6-6-2019 at 08:24 PM

Nice report. How did the car rental go, I have had less then good luck renting in Cabo! Rosetta Stone is $$$ and there are a lot of fakes out there. There are a lot of free app's that are pretty good, I use Pimsleur Spanish that I got cheap on Craig's list, It's been a big help and easy to fit into my hour commute.

RnR - 6-6-2019 at 09:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
where is "La Fuente"?

La Fuente is the ice cream shop with the polka dot painted trees on the Malecón in La Paz. Across from the light house at the entrance to the large pier.

LancairDriver - 6-6-2019 at 11:25 PM

Was woken at 6:15am by a woman with a microphone yelling nonstop with AC/DC and Guns n Roses blasting i

I wouldn’t mind waking up to “You shook me all night long” by AC DC and “Sweet child of mine” by Guns and Roses. That would get you up and going.

Mother of Dragons - 6-7-2019 at 07:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
where is "La Fuente"?

On the Malecon, close to La Perla.
The place that has the trees painted like the Dr Seuss book with the spots like LancairDriver said.

Mother of Dragons - 6-7-2019 at 07:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Nice report. How did the car rental go, I have had less then good luck renting in Cabo! Rosetta Stone is $$$ and there are a lot of fakes out there. There are a lot of free app's that are pretty good, I use Pimsleur Spanish that I got cheap on Craig's list, It's been a big help and easy to fit into my hour commute.

Thank you for the tip on apps. I often have an hour commute both ways and will definitely look into this along with Blanca’s duo language tip.
Car rental was beyond easy, I use Antonio at Cactus Car rental.
Flat fee that includes everything you need and no pushing for extras. I was in the car within minutes and when I returned I just showed up and was done as well. I’ve used him on the past. Highly recommend. Tons of new cars of all classes.
Just email him and he gets back to you within an hour with your flat fee quote.

amiranda@cactuscar.com

Antonio Miranda
Operation Manager
Cactus Car rental
Aeropuerto Internacional de Los Cabos
Phone: 624-14-61839
Cell 624-15-80715
toll free from USA: 18662259220
toll free From Canada 18665790517
toll free MEX: 18008217977
www.cactuscar.com

Mother of Dragons - 6-7-2019 at 07:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Was woken at 6:15am by a woman with a microphone yelling nonstop with AC/DC and Guns n Roses blasting i

I wouldn’t mind waking up to “You shook me all night long” by AC DC and “Sweet child of mine” by Guns and Roses. That would get you up and going.

Omg! Lol
I know, it was actually songs I loved but dang, the woman yelling into the microphone I didn’t love.
The music part was nice and that ac/dc song can be appropriate! Lol wasn’t this time though

boe4fun - 6-7-2019 at 08:18 AM

Great report Susanna, welcome back to SLO town!

Mother of Dragons - 6-7-2019 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Great report Susanna, welcome back to SLO town!

Thank you. Was such a short trip centered around relaxing that I don’t have much to report.

Ohhh..one last thing, the humidity in Cabo was crazy. Must be from all the storms flooding middle America but it was pretty bad flying in and out of SJD.

Mother of Dragons - 6-8-2019 at 12:21 PM

Blanca, I started Duo Lingo today. I’ll have to look into the other apps as well but got that one for now.
One problem I have with Spanish is coming up with the right words to respond because I took French for 11 years and my head thinks of French responses which is confusing. Wish I had taken Spanish, kicking myself for that.

4x4abc - 6-9-2019 at 08:35 PM

Last morning
Was woken at 6:15am by a woman with a microphone yelling nonstop with AC/DC and Guns n Roses blasting in the background for some race

Ugh

La Paz officials have attracted or created so many events now that weekends are no longer the quiet part of the week.
This Sunday Malecon activities (music and announcer) could be heard 20(!) blocks away (Ave Catolica).
Imagine you bought a house in a peaceful neighborhood a few blocks from the Malecon looking forward to quiet weekends. Bad luck!
Imagine you stay in one of the downtown hotels expecting a relaxing Sunday. Ha!

Bubba - 6-12-2019 at 08:06 AM

Just now seeing this. Awesome report and pics!

Mother of Dragons - 6-12-2019 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Thank you for the tip on apps. I often have an hour commute both ways
I just installed DuoLingo and played with it about 45 minutes-- it requires a lot keyboard interaction and seems inappropriate if one's commute is actually driving.

Blanca, you said Les is using it with good results; how is he working on his pronunciation? That's a facet of these computer-based programs that I can't understand... and a part of second language acquisition I think gets way too little focus. Few Gringos manage to ever even approach native pronunciation, and I personally think that's achievable.

I will use a different app for any commute listening.

My kids said I was saying everything like it was French when they overheard me, lol

Thanks Bubba :)

Bubba - 6-12-2019 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Thank you for the tip on apps. I often have an hour commute both ways
I just installed DuoLingo and played with it about 45 minutes-- it requires a lot keyboard interaction and seems inappropriate if one's commute is actually driving.

Blanca, you said Les is using it with good results; how is he working on his pronunciation? That's a facet of these computer-based programs that I can't understand... and a part of second language acquisition I think gets way too little focus. Few Gringos manage to ever even approach native pronunciation, and I personally think that's achievable.

I will use a different app for any commute listening.

My kids said I was saying everything like it was French when they overheard me, lol

Thanks Bubba :)

You are welcome. Sent you a pm.