BajaNomad

Cabo to La Rumorosa grade

BornFisher - 1-30-2020 at 07:50 PM

Did half a road trip and my son did the other half. He left Encinitas on Dec 24, I joined him Jan 4th in Cabo. We were styling at the Sheraton for three days, then he flew home. I slowly went north, spending 2 days in La Paz, then Todos Santos, Loreto, San Ignacio, LA Bay, San Felipe, then back to Encinitas. I`ll add more details later. This video was sent to me from google photos and I didn`t edit. I already know the oil change in La Paz was a little much but so be it!!! Here you go---

https://youtu.be/ufigSXv-Ouc

David K - 1-31-2020 at 09:25 AM

That was an excellent video! I could also feel the "Toyota Love" you have.

I refuse to use 0-20 and will force myself to 10-30 after so many years of Castrol GTX 20-50 in my VWs and Subarus! LOL

José is growing a quite a beard (at San Borja)!

I also stayed at Casa Diaz during my 2017 mapping expeditions... the first time since my family and I did in 1967... Not much changed other than having hot water anytime and not just after the sun heated the roof tank!

Thank you... and is a detailed trip report in our future???

AKgringo - 1-31-2020 at 01:47 PM

Thanks for sharing! It is good to see familiar places.

And motor oil? I saw Mobile 25w-60w at Walmart in La Paz today, 5 liters for 399 pesos!

TMW - 1-31-2020 at 02:11 PM

You should remember newer car engines are built tighter and need the thinner oil. That's why they will last 300,000 or more miles. Do what the Mfd suggest. You need to know that if you use other than what the Mfd suggest and you have a problem you could void your warranty.

Jinete Viejo - 1-31-2020 at 08:21 PM

On another thread I think it was Motoged who said that 0W - 20W oil is OK if you use synthetic oil.

BornFisher - 1-31-2020 at 09:36 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I left it up to the pros to tell me what I needed for the oil change. El hefe pulled out a very thick reference guide to show me the 2014 FJ Cruiser, recommend oil was 0-20 synthetic oil. Put 5 and 1/2 quarts in there and gave me the leftover 1/2 quart.
Few details-- 5 stars for the Sheritan Los Cabos. After 3 nights there and 2 nights at the Concha in La Paz I went to a 1 star dump in Todos Santos for 1,000 pesos a night (Mirador). Then it was on to the Tripui south of Loreto for around $70. I love this place but the upstairs was being worked on so I got the bottom floor without the beautiful views. Love the mountains there and the bay, Cauasualy left Loreto, and settled in San Ignacio at the Fong which was a glorified closet with wifi. Fine for me, about $400 pesos?
To be continued----

Pacifico - 2-1-2020 at 10:00 AM

Great video, Bornfisher!

Wow, brought back a lot of great memories! Thanks!

La Concha and the Cortez Club....I used to dive and fish a lot out of there!

And Tripui...I haven't been back in years. Did it recover from the big fire years ago?