BajaNomad

Miramar Bar San Felipe Closed?!

wyatthurley55 - 2-25-2020 at 07:58 AM

Just got off the phone with my uncle who spent last week in San Felipe and he told me the Miramar Bar was closed. Almost like it had been shut down by the government. Anybody have any info? Again this is what he told me, not what ive seen myself. Thanks!

David K - 2-25-2020 at 08:13 AM

Oh man, that was the first bar I visited as an 18-year-old/ legal-age drinker... during the 1975 Baja 1000.

BornFisher - 2-25-2020 at 08:21 AM

In January I saw a sign where they were going to be closed 2 days a week. Maybe this is what he saw? Sure hope it`s not totally shut down!
Glad I bought a hat and t-shirt!!

wyatthurley55 - 2-25-2020 at 08:29 AM

He said there was a big red seal on the door to make sure it wouldnt be opened. Sure hope it isnt closed. Ive had a lot of fun in there!

Bajazly - 2-25-2020 at 08:39 AM

I walked by it this past Friday night and they were closing up maybe about 8:30 or 9 which I thought was kind of early seeing how the Carnaval festivities were going on. I'll go have a look in the next day or so.

mjs - 2-25-2020 at 08:40 AM

Smoking is not allowed indoors or in covered patio areas. Was rarely enforced being Mexico. Health department cited Miramar for smoking. They can reopen after they pay the fine. 200,000 pesos first offense, 350,000 second offense. Info from another restaurant in town.

New rules coming and existing rules being enforced. Times a changing. No more plastic bags at the Autozone either.

Marc - 2-25-2020 at 08:47 AM

Drinks at Miramar & fish tacos at Brenda's.

Marc - 2-25-2020 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
Smoking is not allowed indoors or in covered patio areas. Was rarely enforced being Mexico. Health department cited Miramar for smoking. They can reopen after they pay the fine. 200,000 pesos first offense, 350,000 second offense. Info from another restaurant in town.

New rules coming and existing rules being enforced. Times a changing. No more plastic bags at the Autozone either.

Seems a rather stiff fine. Hey it's Mexico....can't they just pay off the inspector?

mtgoat666 - 2-25-2020 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  

Glad to hear they are enforcing smoking ban... high fines should encourage compliance, eh

Paco Facullo - 2-26-2020 at 05:00 PM

A poker game ain't a poker game without at least one cigar being smoked !!!

StuckSucks - 3-2-2020 at 10:26 AM

A friend in San Felipe sent this photo of a sign at the Miramar, requesting patrons to *not* smoke. Problem solved!

PaulW - 3-2-2020 at 06:26 PM

As you can see in Stucks pic the lights are on and there is nobody present. Been that way last week and more recent. The long term bartender is now checking groceries at Calimex.
Maybe they will have customers for events like the 250?

[Edited on 3-3-2020 by PaulW]

wyatthurley55 - 3-3-2020 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
As you can see in Stucks pic the lights are on and there is nobody present. Been that way last week and more recent. The long term bartender is now checking groceries at Calimex.
Maybe they will have customers for events like the 250?

[Edited on 3-3-2020 by PaulW]

Doesnt matter where you go for the 250, there always packed.

motoged - 3-3-2020 at 10:38 AM

In all my Baja travels most gringos I have met are non-smokers....

ehall - 3-3-2020 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

I have noticed the same thing. We are an enlightened group? Haha.

Hook - 3-3-2020 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Well, MOST means less than 50%. I think the percentage of smokers in the US is now around 15%. Down from 20% a decade ago. Down from something like 80% in the 40s when many of our parents were growing up.

However, I DO believe that the percentage of gringos, especially those who have retired semi-permanently in Mexico, is higher than the percentages in the States. I do know more than a few gringos whose motivation to move here was, in part, due to how expensive cigarettes became in the States. And alcohol. And housing. And many things...........

I live in a very active retirement area in San Carlos, Sonora. It's not confined to a gate-guarded community. It's community-wide; organized mostly on social media. We have MTB groups, a pickleball association, a softball "league", hiking groups, kayaking groups, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if the % of gringo smokers in this town is under 10%.

The smokers tend to be in more sedentary groups like fishing and ATVing.

del mar - 3-3-2020 at 03:13 PM

Its when the Miramar bars in Ensenada close its time to worry!;)

nobaddays - 3-3-2020 at 04:26 PM

I just spoke with the owner Arnoldo Arostequi. Yes they were ordered shut down for a week for people smoking on the patio and the bar not having signs. Everything has been resolved with the help of good friend Octavio Ascolani. All is well.

[Edited on 3-3-2020 by nobaddays]