BajaNomad

LAUNCH RAMPS CLOSED TO GRINGOS

Marla Daily - 8-12-2020 at 06:00 PM

The Launch Ramp in Loreto has been closed to gringos or anyone without a Mexican captain going out in their own boats/pangas since March. We've lived in Loreto for 30+ years and never before been stopped from launching. We are senior residents. (We don't even fish!) The port captain is intransigent—says it is the "new law." Nothing to do with covid. Anyone have additional info?

Don Pisto - 8-12-2020 at 06:27 PM

wow!:o

mtgoat666 - 8-12-2020 at 06:29 PM

Sometimes Mexicans love making rules. Usually the rule writer has some logical basis for the rule,... that is illogical or offensive to the ruled.
Until the rule changes, Get a kayak, and you can launch most anywhere

Marla Daily - 8-12-2020 at 06:32 PM

Kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding not allowed either!

[Edited on 8-13-2020 by Marla Daily]

mtgoat666 - 8-12-2020 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marla Daily  
Kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding not allowed either!
[Edited on 8-13-2020 by Marla Daily]

The anti-ramp-launch rule is probably the dream of panga captains looking for sport fishing customers.

Is the anti-kayak/paddle board rule due to covid?

BajaBlanca - 8-12-2020 at 09:14 PM

That about takes the cake! I hope someone can clue us in as to what is going on.

gnukid - 8-13-2020 at 02:36 AM

Might be a small misunderstanding on both parts, it seems, the port captain requires you inform them of the departure with a list of passengers, and those passengers should be following covid procedures. Try to hail on the proper channel to inform of departure with vessel name and/or manifest or submit a letter with boat name, manifest, itinerary, and plan for covid precaution e.g. each person will sit with safe distance. Follow the same plan each departure and return. Announce the return as well on VHF, not sure of the channel, though likely 14? listen for others to hail the port captain and follow the same procedure. This has occurred at every other launch as well, La Paz, LB, LV, Todos Santos, San Jose, Los Cabos and has been resolved through clear communication of requirements and compliance.

[Edited on 8-13-2020 by gnukid]

Marla Daily - 8-13-2020 at 09:11 AM

In Loreto, the guard at the launch ramp stops anyone —non Mx. captain—trying to launch. There is NO exception if it isn't a MX captn. No misunderstanding. Guard said to go to the port captain. Port captain says "it's the new law." No more information. And although it began during covid, it isn't related to covid precautions. Gringos are not allowed to launch their boat. Period. And as to "captain", my husband is a Master Mariner—highest license in the world! Go figure.

elgatoloco - 8-13-2020 at 09:35 AM

"This is not, America...sha la la la la."
-David Bowie

Best of luck to all affected. :saint:

mtgoat666 - 8-13-2020 at 09:39 AM

In Loreto, the guard at the launch ramp stops anyone —non Mx. captain—trying to launch. There is NO exception if it isn't a MX captn. No misunderstanding. Guard said to go to the port captain. Port captain says "it's the new law." No more information. And although it began during covid, it isn't related to covid precautions. Gringos are not allowed to launch their boat. Period. And as to "captain", my husband is a Master Mariner—highest license in the world! Go figure.

you say this ban applies to use of ramp to launch.
are sailboat cruisers still coming and going without restriction?

bajatrailrider - 8-13-2020 at 09:40 AM

In. Other parts of Mexico no such law or no enforcement. All Americans boycott this launch ramp no to any sport fishing boats. Let the a holes eat beans from now on. ;)

DaliDali - 8-13-2020 at 10:17 AM

This "law" has ZERO to do with any virus prevention.

There is no misunderstanding whatsoever.
A Mexican captain, with his clients, shows up at the ramp, and off they go.
There is NO radio communication, departure notification or any other "mandated" contact rules with the Port Captain.
That captain isn't even out of bed at 6 am.

A gringo with his boat shows up with 2 buddies and it's a no go. Period

I live two blocks from the ramp in Loreto and it's on my morning walk routine.
The man (API) who monitors the launching, is buddies with ALL the pangueros. They launch at will. There is NO check in or ANY other means of virus prevention.

Ironic to the max is that Arturo, the ONLY operator of a panga fishing fleet in town and is the husband of the very person who inked that rule. The president of the town.

What this does is funnel ALL the sportfishing money to the MX pangueros.
If a gringo wants to go fishing here, they cannot do it from their own boat.
They are forced to hire a MX captain and use his panga......to the tune of $250 clams

Marly Daily.....even though your husband is a Master Mariner captain, he lacks the proper nationality to be able to use that ramp.
A buddy of mine and I tried in his MX born panga and with a local MX skipper to no avail. And we have a combined 80 years of boating experience. ONLY MX skippers on their boats is the mandate.

It boggles the mind that a gringo boat owner (captain) is going to subject his buddies to the virus out on the open Sea while angling, and a MX captain with his two clients is not.

It's a crystal clear money grab approved by and strictly for MX pangueros.
Yes they have been hard hit due to the lack of gringos coming here to go fishing. Is that reason enough to keep gringo boats off the ramp and from going fishing?....seems so

Sandlefoot - 8-13-2020 at 11:27 AM

It may be getting closer to time to apply for citizenship! But that could mess up their agenda. Gringo's watching one gringo using the ramp, not knowing he is a citizen might raise hell!! But it is Mexico!!! All rules are only temporary!

mtgoat666 - 8-13-2020 at 11:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

This "law" has ZERO to do with any virus prevention.

There is no misunderstanding whatsoever.
A Mexican captain, with his clients, shows up at the ramp, and off they go.
There is NO radio communication, departure notification or any other "mandated" contact rules with the Port Captain.
That captain isn't even out of bed at 6 am.

A gringo with his boat shows up with 2 buddies and it's a no go. Period

I live two blocks from the ramp in Loreto and it's on my morning walk routine.
The man (API) who monitors the launching, is buddies with ALL the pangueros. They launch at will. There is NO check in or ANY other means of virus prevention.

Ironic to the max is that Arturo, the ONLY operator of a panga fishing fleet in town and is the husband of the very person who inked that rule. The president of the town.

What this does is funnel ALL the sportfishing money to the MX pangueros.
If a gringo wants to go fishing here, they cannot do it from their own boat.
They are forced to hire a MX captain and use his panga......to the tune of $250 clams

Marly Daily.....even though your husband is a Master Mariner captain, he lacks the proper nationality to be able to use that ramp.
A buddy of mine and I tried in his MX born panga and with a local MX skipper to no avail. And we have a combined 80 years of boating experience. ONLY MX skippers on their boats is the mandate.

It boggles the mind that a gringo boat owner (captain) is going to subject his buddies to the virus out on the open Sea while angling, and a MX captain with his two clients is not.

It's a crystal clear money grab approved by and strictly for MX pangueros.
Yes they have been hard hit due to the lack of gringos coming here to go fishing. Is that reason enough to keep gringo boats off the ramp and from going fishing?....seems so

so where is the nearest ramp that freedom-loving foreigners can use to launch?

this ridiculous rule will impact only local expats. the people driving down from san diego to fish will just skip loreto all together.

Hook - 8-13-2020 at 01:37 PM

The Launch Ramp in Loreto has been closed to gringos or anyone without a Mexican captain going out in their own boats/pangas since March. We've lived in Loreto for 30+ years and never before been stopped from launching. We are senior residents. (We don't even fish!) The port captain is intransigent—says it is the "new law." Nothing to do with covid. Anyone have additional info?

Some clarification, please........

If a gringo hires a Mexican captain to skipper his boat, are they being allowed to launch?

If a gringo hires a panga to take him fishing, are the gringos allowed to go?

It will probably do no good to boycott the ramp. Who would that actually affect, financially?

You need to spread the word in town that you and your gringo friends will be spending nothing at bars and restaurants, etc., until this singling out of private boaters is ended.

mtgoat666 - 8-13-2020 at 02:21 PM

this was posted on bloody decks in June.

no foreign boats, no one over 65 on mex boats.

Quote:

According to City Hall and the Port Captain of Loreto, ONLY a Mexican panga captain can take you out fishing off of Loreto and then with ONLY 2 fishermen effective today June 15th.

And if your a tourist and 65 years of age or older, you CANNOT go fishing period.

Local foreign nationals who live here, or tourist foreign nationals who towed their boat to Loreto and want to go fishing in that boat, CANNOT.

By some wave of the magic wand, the powers that be in Loreto have determined that ONLY a MX sport fishing captain can shield you from the pangs of the Covid virus

If anyone had plans to travel to Loreto and were towing your own boat, you CANNOT USE IT right now.

Likewise, if your flying here to go fishing and are over 65, you CANNOT go fishing.

DaliDali - 8-13-2020 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

So this is an ordinance local to Loreto, being enforced by API?

Weird, I thought those guys were federal. How does the chain of authority work in the Federal Zone?

(Actually, the question is how's it supposed to work; we all know it doesn't necessarily happen that way).

:?:

Arturo is the local jefe of API in Loreto
Arturo also happens to operate the one and only panga sportfishing fleet in Loreto
Arturo is also the husband of the Presidente of the municipal.

DaliDali - 8-13-2020 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
this was posted on bloody decks in June.

no foreign boats, no one over 65 on mex boats.

Quote:

According to City Hall and the Port Captain of Loreto, ONLY a Mexican panga captain can take you out fishing off of Loreto and then with ONLY 2 fishermen effective today June 15th.

And if your a tourist and 65 years of age or older, you CANNOT go fishing period.

Local foreign nationals who live here, or tourist foreign nationals who towed their boat to Loreto and want to go fishing in that boat, CANNOT.

By some wave of the magic wand, the powers that be in Loreto have determined that ONLY a MX sport fishing captain can shield you from the pangs of the Covid virus

If anyone had plans to travel to Loreto and were towing your own boat, you CANNOT USE IT right now.

Likewise, if your flying here to go fishing and are over 65, you CANNOT go fishing.

And it remains, although someone saw fit to recall the over 65 rules.

akmaxx - 8-13-2020 at 03:24 PM

I am not a member of Bloody Decks but if somebody wants a nice fishing house for the Bay of Concepcion and Sea of Cortez without the obvious complications in Loreto than please feel free to post these on Bloody Decks.

I'd prefer a single person or a couple but with some negotiation it could be shared amongst a group of anglers over the year. Split the houses, boat, equipment and get the whole ramp to yourself.

https://bajasur.craigslist.org/apa/7172769569.html?lang=en&a...

https://bajasur.craigslist.org/apa/d/near-the-beach-quiet-pr...

Hook - 8-13-2020 at 03:34 PM

Arturo also happens to operate the one and only panga sportfishing fleet in Loreto

This is the CLASSIC definition of Mexican corruption, right here.

A boycott of other services in the town is the only answer, IME. Trying to go above him is pointless in Mexico.

[Edited on 8-13-2020 by Hook]

JZ - 8-13-2020 at 04:16 PM

There are many ways to get around this.

PM if you want suggestions and / or someone you can reach out to for help.

We'll get your boat in the water fast.

AKgringo - 8-13-2020 at 04:32 PM

Is it about access to the launch ramp, or access to the fish?

Why would the charter operators care if a Gringo (or Canadian for that matter) wanted to launch a small sailboat?

gallesram - 8-13-2020 at 05:08 PM

Assume this doesn't apply to launching in Puerto Escondido, correct?

mtgoat666 - 8-13-2020 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

the panga owners banned private boats, because private boats don't charter pangas.
the panga owners think banning private boats will make all the private boat parties into panga charter customers.
the panga owners dont realize that private boat owners are mostly trailering boats and are just going to plan their vacations in another town, and scratch loreto off the list.
the few local expats will just have to move to another town.
if i were local, i would never trust a shady panga owner that generates business by using unfair or corrupt government actions or inflicting harm on their customers.

[Edited on 8-14-2020 by mtgoat666]

mtgoat666 - 8-13-2020 at 05:26 PM

Why would the charter operators care if a Gringo (or Canadian for that matter) wanted to launch a small sailboat?

i suspect trailer sailors may get swept up in the ban as collateral damage

Marla Daily - 8-13-2020 at 05:43 PM

Our panga is Mexican—built and registered here in Loreto. We are over 65. We don't fish. We simply would like to go out on our boat. The Port Captain said the "law" (which it isn't) was set by Semaforo (Federal Govt.) The same rules should apply to the entire peninsula.

The Semaforo website says all of Baja is in level 5 of the Sanitary Alert System (6 being shut down). It is, of course, idiotic to say hiring a Mexican captain/panga is "covid-safer" than my husband and me going out alone together on our panga.

DaliDali - 8-13-2020 at 05:51 PM

the panga owners banned private boats, because private boats don't charter pangas.
the panga owners think banning private boats will make all the private boat parties into panga charter customers.
the panga owners dont realize that private boat owners are mostly trailering boats and are just going to plan their vacations in another town, and scratch loreto off the list.
the few local expats will just have to move to another town.
if i were local, i would never trust a shady panga owner that generates business by using unfair or corrupt government actions or inflicting harm on their customers.

[Edited on 8-14-2020 by mtgoat666]

To be crystal clear, it's NOT the private Mexican pangueros who are "banning" foreign owned private boats.

These men are the finest people you would ever want to know.

It's the leadership in town who are inking the reglas, in concert with (I have no proof) a panga fleet owner, who just happens to be the husband of the person who does ink the reglas.

But if you actually lived here, had a boat and went fishing on it, you too would know this.

DaliDali - 8-13-2020 at 06:04 PM

. It is, of course, idiotic to say hiring a Mexican captain/panga is "covid-safer" than my husband and me going out alone together on our panga.

Absolutely.....as if only a MX panga charter operator has a magic wand and can wave the Rona virus out of the way, while clipping along at 20 knots on the way to the yellowtail honey hole. And a foreigner cannot do that.

Spray the handrails down with bleach, rinse the deck with Cloro..force the mackerel bait to drink chloroquine chloride methyl hydrate..which DON'T have the Rona for good measure.

It's just STUPID

And don't you dare run your panga up on the sand at Coronado Isla....the Rona cops will yank you off, fine you untold thousands of pesos for the sheer gall of playing at waters edge on a hot day in August.

bill erhardt - 8-13-2020 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gallesram  
Assume this doesn't apply to launching in Puerto Escondido, correct?

Correct

charliemanson - 8-13-2020 at 09:19 PM

Right on and good for Loreto! Glad to see someone is taking a stand and making it hard for gringos to just run a muck over this place. possibly a small retaliation for what the US has been doing to them for years or just getting sick of us telling them how to run their country.

Maybe a whole bunch of South Dakota plated free loaders not getting to put in their boat. So sad. The travesty.
An idea! Start treating this country like your own and maybe you can receive the benefits you want.
just sayin

viva la vida - 8-13-2020 at 09:23 PM

I live in Loreto and I request that the title of this thread be changed because it is UNTRUE!!

Boats that are permitted to use the Loreto ramp have a valid permit to take out tourists, called permiso nautica, issued by the port captain. Also the port Captain is a "by the book" kind of guy so its insulting to read the ignorant and negative comments about him! You should apologize or delete them lady!

The closure is not limited to GRINGOS! ALL private boats are prohibited from using the town ramp. There's a well known local Mexicano Loretano accountant who loves to fish in his own panga, guess what? He can't go out either. It has NOTHING to do with Mexican Captains or Gringos. It has everything to do with the permit on the BOAT!

Agreed, these rules SUCK! Nobody can even land on the islands as the "park" will not allow it, permits or no permits!

The "over 65" rule was actually in the DRAFT of the new covid sportfishing protocols but it was struck out after lots and lots of folks raised a big stink with the health authorities. None of the Captains wrote these rules but they have to live with them.

As for paddleboarding and kayaks Señora and other locals, remember the beaches are closed? Since March? Paddleboards and kayaks launch off the beach so I guess you can't use them since the playa is cerrado? I dunno we all hate the beach closures and the park islands closures but they have NOTHING at all to do about Gringos or non Gringos. These closures and restrictions are affecting gringos, Mexicans, and everyone.

So stop it people! If you're going to post sensationalism at least get the facts straight!

jbcoug - 8-13-2020 at 09:43 PM

viva la vida,

You may be correct or you might be full of hot air. It will take more than one post to establish credibility!

bajatrailrider - 8-13-2020 at 10:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
Right on and good for Loreto! Glad to see someone is taking a stand and making it hard for gringos to just run a muck over this place. possibly a small retaliation for what the US has been doing to them for years or just getting sick of us telling them how to run their country.

Maybe a whole bunch of South Dakota plated free loaders not getting to put in their boat. So sad. The travesty.
An idea! Start treating this country like your own and maybe you can receive the benefits you want.
just sayin

bajatrailrider - 8-13-2020 at 10:19 PM

Charlie the pendio has spoken retard free loader. :bounce:

JZ - 8-13-2020 at 11:10 PM

Come on ppl.

If you can't get your boat in the water you aren't trying too hard.

mtgoat666 - 8-14-2020 at 05:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by viva la vida  
I live in Loreto and I request that the title of this thread be changed because it is UNTRUE!!

Boats that are permitted to use the Loreto ramp have a valid permit to take out tourists, called permiso nautica, issued by the port captain. Also the port Captain is a "by the book" kind of guy so its insulting to read the ignorant and negative comments about him! You should apologize or delete them lady!

The closure is not limited to GRINGOS! ALL private boats are prohibited from using the town ramp. There's a well known local Mexicano Loretano accountant who loves to fish in his own panga, guess what? He can't go out either. It has NOTHING to do with Mexican Captains or Gringos. It has everything to do with the permit on the BOAT!

Agreed, these rules SUCK! Nobody can even land on the islands as the "park" will not allow it, permits or no permits!

The "over 65" rule was actually in the DRAFT of the new covid sportfishing protocols but it was struck out after lots and lots of folks raised a big stink with the health authorities. None of the Captains wrote these rules but they have to live with them.

As for paddleboarding and kayaks Señora and other locals, remember the beaches are closed? Since March? Paddleboards and kayaks launch off the beach so I guess you can't use them since the playa is cerrado? I dunno we all hate the beach closures and the park islands closures but they have NOTHING at all to do about Gringos or non Gringos. These closures and restrictions are affecting gringos, Mexicans, and everyone.

So stop it people! If you're going to post sensationalism at least get the facts straight!

Quote:

Arturo is the local jefe of API in Loreto Arturo also happens to operate the one and only panga sportfishing fleet in Loreto Arturo is also the husband of the Presidente of the municipal.

Viva,
Was Arturo behind writing the rule that bans private boats from the public ramp?

CJ - 8-14-2020 at 06:11 AM

What Marla and Dali are saying is true. Vida la Vida is delusional. Charlie Manson is a pendejo. The port captain is not allowing gringo boats to launch even with a Mexican Captain. If you’re a gringo with a Mexican registered Ponga you can’t put it in the water in Loreto but you can in Puerto Escondido. When the boats leave the Marina in Loreto they’re allowed one captain and two fishermen that’s the rules. That being said I live a quarter-mile north of the boat ramp and I saw a local dive operator launch with as munch as nine people in the boat. The pongeros are picking up clients from the beach as well and will drive away with four or five people on the boat. I’ve had property in Loreto for 30 years and lived here full-time for the last 15 years I moved here because of fishing. I’ve spent less time fishing the last year or so because of the vibe at the boat ramp. I have dual citizenship so when in Mexico I’m a Mexican but in the eyes of the port captain I’m a gringo. A lot of things have tightened down in Loreto since this Covid started. I think everybody’s looking to somehow grab as much money as they can in these times. The gringo community has helped the poor people of Loreto a lot through these times and these people deserve it. Another group in Loreto is just trying to get all they can through this. We could talk about the water bills next. There’s a small group that controls Loreto and it’s been that way for a long time.

[Edited on 8-14-2020 by CJ]

[Edited on 8-14-2020 by CJ]

DaliDali - 8-14-2020 at 06:26 AM

Quote:

Arturo is the local jefe of API in Loreto Arturo also happens to operate the one and only panga sportfishing fleet in Loreto Arturo is also the husband of the Presidente of the municipal.

Viva,
Was Arturo behind writing the rule that bans private boats from the public ramp?

You don't fish, don't own a rod and reel, don't own a boat, don't go to Loreto, don't use the launch ramp and don't live within 700 miles of Loreto

And here you are, making EIGHT comments on a thread that does not concern you one iota.

DaliDali - 8-14-2020 at 06:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  

just sayin

How did you get this way?
Did some blond kid beat you up?

Are you the spawn of Jihad Jay Salman?

BajaMama - 8-14-2020 at 07:49 AM

This is unfortunate, Arturo is simply shooting himself in the foot. If local gringoes can't launch their boats they will move. It may not happen overnight but it will happen. Loreto will be known as unfriendly to tourists and gringoes who want to fish from their own boats and its reputation will be sullied. If I recall, best fishing is north of Loreto so launching from Puerto Escondido will be a time consuming and gas wasting option.

Avoiding Messy Muck ?

MrBillM - 8-14-2020 at 08:29 AM

Winning the latest malapropism trophy, Manson says:

" ........ Right on and good for Loreto! Glad to see someone is taking a stand and making it hard for gringos to just run a muck [sic] over this place .........."

mtgoat666 - 8-14-2020 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
This is unfortunate, Arturo is simply shooting himself in the foot. If local gringoes can't launch their boats they will move. It may not happen overnight but it will happen. Loreto will be known as unfriendly to tourists and gringoes who want to fish from their own boats and its reputation will be sullied. If I recall, best fishing is north of Loreto so launching from Puerto Escondido will be a time consuming and gas wasting option.

perhaps this is a business opportunity for some entrepreneur to build a new launch ramp, eh?

Phil C - 8-14-2020 at 09:41 AM

That makes nine.

Marla Daily - 8-14-2020 at 01:00 PM

The newbie who lives in Loreto and requests that the title of this thread be changed because it is "UNTRUE"—is requesting that the truth be obfuscated.

I state with undeniable fact, and I repeat: THE LORETO LAUNCH RAMP IS CLOSED TO GRINGOS. Don't read any more into it than what these words say. Don't put words into my mouth. There is no hidden agenda here. No hidden meaning. Closed to gringos is closed to gringos. If you find this fact to be sensational, that's your problem in facing the simple truth. THE LORETO LAUNCH RAMP IS CLOSED TO GRINGOS.

And until and unless you can demonstrate otherwise, Viva la Vida, I stand by the truth—THE LORETO LAUNCH RAMP IS CLOSED TO GRINGOS. You want to pretend this is not true, then come on over and launch our boat for us while we watch! Lets see who has the facts correct. And until things change, or you prove this statement wrong, it is my pleasure to tell you a 4th time, THE LORETO LAUNCH RAMP IS CLOSED TO GRINGOS.

Don Pisto - 8-14-2020 at 01:28 PM

well thats a cold bowl of chili! so assuming puerto escondido doesn't work for you and you don't have mega clout like jz.....where's the alternative:?:

Still looking forE-Mail addresses to write the higher ups

Howard - 8-14-2020 at 01:53 PM

I posted a request for government and tourism E-mail addresses to write about this problem. We can talk about it until the cows come home and nothing will change. The situation must come from higher ups to resolve this.

Some of you must have addresses to plead our case to.

I really feel that this can be resolved once the higher ups are informed that Loreto will turn into a ghost town unless the “new law” is changed.

Look how immigration was previously controlled and now it has gotten better with tourism complaints.

David K - 8-14-2020 at 01:58 PM

Just 'gringos' (I assume you mean American citizens) or is the ramp closed to ALL non-Mexican citizens? Can a Frenchman or Italian launch? How about a Costa Rican or Colombian? Is it a political/ nationalist rule or a racist one?

DaliDali - 8-14-2020 at 02:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just 'gringos' (I assume you mean American citizens) or is the ramp closed to ALL non-Mexican citizens? Can a Frenchman or Italian launch? How about a Costa Rican or Colombian? Is it a political/ nationalist rule or a racist one?

Gringos in the context of this discussion, is to mean anyone who is not a Mexican national.

This whole thing was sold and enforced as a means to prevent the corona virus from spreading..

Some seriously misguided dude in DF has decided that they know how treacherous the open Sea is to contracting the virus and ONLY a Mexican National fishing boat operator, with a permit, can keep the foreign national fishermen safe from the virus.
( I know of one foreign national in town who has a permit to take passengers for hire out to sea, and has had for years)

How treacherous it must be that a foreign national even attempt to ward off the virus on the open sea, putting his two close friends in impending peril to contracting a virus.

Which is just absolute nonsense.

If the entire scheme is to funnel the sportfishing dollars to Mexican Nationals, that's one thing.
But if it's to thwart the transmission of the virus, someone needs a lobotomy

chippy - 8-14-2020 at 02:59 PM

So is this going on in Cabo? It´s not in a few places I know of on the mainland. I think its a local mandate.

Mulege

Chup - 8-14-2020 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
So is this going on in Cabo? It´s not in a few places I know of on the mainland. I think its a local mandate.

Well, based on the last response to the great GringoGate in Loreto, it sounds like a local Loreto issue..

See here - http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=93632

SFandH - 8-14-2020 at 03:28 PM

What political party does the Presidente belong to? Same as the Governor?

BajaBlanca - 8-14-2020 at 03:41 PM

Crazy times. Private boats are OK in La Bocana. Our friend went out on his own boat today.

SFandH - 8-14-2020 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

What political party does the Presidente belong to? Same as the Governor?

A google search indicates they are both PAN. I was thinking maybe if they were different parties, you could play that angle to have the restriction removed.

Call AMLO!! :D

[Edited on 8-15-2020 by SFandH]

Lee - 8-14-2020 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CJ  
A lot of things have tightened down in Loreto since this Covid started. I think everybody’s looking to somehow grab as much money as they can in these times.

Well, BINGO. A long time local calling it the way he sees it. It's always about money. Shouldn't surprise anyone that this is happening. Nationalized gringoes are still gringoes. If you weren't born in Loreto, you're an outsider.

JZ - 8-14-2020 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
well thats a cold bowl of chili! so assuming puerto escondido doesn't work for you and you don't have mega clout like jz.....where's the alternative:?:

We hang out with several MX captains when we come down.

Bond with the locals ppl.

BajaParrothead - 8-14-2020 at 08:01 PM

Los Barriles
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

We launched several times in July in Los Barriles and had no issues on my boat. Does appear to be a local Loreto issue.

CJ - 8-15-2020 at 06:16 AM

We hang out with several MX captains when we come down.

Bond with the locals ppl.

JZ
I’ve known most of the captains in Loreto since they were teenagers or younger. Knowing the captains will get you nowhere. It’s the higher ups that are calling the shots. I actually think most the captains would welcome the foreign boats , because a lot of the gringos would hire them to go in their boats. Most of the Gringos I know would rather go in their boat than a panga for obvious reasons. Before anyone chimes in; yes I know what I’m talking about I’ve been the proud owner of three pangas over the years.
Quite a few homeowners haven’t come down and fished this summer because of this issue and that doesn’t help anyone.
[/rquote]

gnukid - 8-15-2020 at 08:35 AM

The same problem was happening in LB, LP, LV, Muertos etc until enough people manifested formal communication community meetings and port captains had to address the obvious conflict of interests with no justification. These delegados and port captains are not particularly well educated nor experienced in conflict resolution, they tend the be lazy and stubborn and looking for an easy way out and are likely manipulated by someone in the community with power. Until enough people come forward with formal public organization to resolve the conflict the port captain will do whatever they want to do based on pressure from their friends and family. Many boats including Mexican captains were restricted at times until formal discussions to address the nonsense were organized with media attention. I recommend turning up the public heat with regular press release with validated info, quotes, etc names, in Spanish and English, well written, clear messaging, video, photos, invite the port captain, presidente de ayunamiento to the table for negotiation, have evidence of reduced covid risk safety practices, be calm, polite, insistent, record all meetings and share.

[Edited on 8-15-2020 by gnukid]

chippy - 8-15-2020 at 08:49 AM

Some good advice from gnu!

[Edited on 8-15-2020 by chippy]

AKgringo - 8-15-2020 at 09:28 AM

There is a popular launch ramp in Alaska at the mouth of Deep Creek, that is only usable for a few hours at high tide. To solve the problem of everyone wanting to be fishing at high tide instead of cursing in a traffic jam, entrepreneurs started using tractors to launch customer boats from the beach.

Using the aerial view on Bing Maps, it looks like a local with a tractor could be doing the same thing at the mouth of the arroyo south of town. I have not been to that site, but it looks like it would be doable with no environmental concerns on the beach.

BajaParrothead - 8-15-2020 at 09:55 AM

There is a popular launch ramp in Alaska at the mouth of Deep Creek, that is only usable for a few hours at high tide. To solve the problem of everyone wanting to be fishing at high tide instead of cursing in a traffic jam, entrepreneurs started using tractors to launch customer boats from the beach.

Using the aerial view on Bing Maps, it looks like a local with a tractor could be doing the same thing at the mouth of the arroyo south of town. I have not been to that site, but it looks like it would be doable with no environmental concerns on the beach.
We pay the guy at the Palmas Hotel $500p to launch and retrieve our boat from the beach using his front end loader.

Phil C - 8-15-2020 at 10:45 AM

The beaches are still closed.

gnukid - 8-15-2020 at 12:05 PM

Some beaches are closed to some activities, not all. For example, Tecolote is closed but shoreline restaurants are open, and you can go boating, but walking or swimming is restricted with no justification. People still go to the beach everyday and go swimming etc until some cop decides to make a fuss. It seems that bigger cities have more illogical restrictions, while pueblos use common sense.

gnukid - 8-15-2020 at 12:30 PM

Loreto
Arturo Susarrey Amador
Mayor Arely Arce Peralta

Here's an article from July 2020 about how Arturo solves disputes in Loreto, drunk, fighting with other members of his party.

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/borracho-esposo-de-la-alcaldesa-d...

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/hubo-agravio-de-arturo-susarrey-y...

https://www.diarioelindependiente.mx/2020/07/a-botellazos-ag...

https://colectivopericu.net/2020/07/06/borracho-esposo-de-al...

https://peninsulardigital.com/bcs-2/se-agarraron-panistas-a-...

Accusations he is running Loreto as a shadow mayor.
https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/quien-gobierna-loreto-es-arturo-s...

https://monitorbcs.com/equilibrios-por-jose-luis-puga-lizard...

More to chew on

https://monitorbcs.com/equilibrios-por-jose-luis-puga-lizard...

https://la-arenga.com/2019/06/26/arturo-susarrey-el-secreto-...

https://metropolimx.com/la-sombra-de-el-bogar/

https://www.bitacorabcs.mx/equilibrios-loreto-gobierno-incap...

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/?s=Arturo+Susarrey

https://www.facebook.com/arturo.susarreyamador

https://arturosport.com/in/e/
Arturo´s Sportfishing Fleet
Email: arturossport@prodigy.net.mx
Reservaciones / Oficina: 613 110 8522

[Edited on 8-15-2020 by gnukid]

David K - 8-15-2020 at 12:34 PM

Too many aguas malas there!
At least in July!
Baja Tripper and Zully had a good laugh as they watched Baja Angel and I get in contact with those drifting clear tentacles! When we got back to the beach chairs, he said "why do you think we didn't join you"! :lol::light::o

Skully - 8-15-2020 at 12:57 PM

That looks nice! Coronas and Pacificos on the beach on a beautiful day! :cool:

Sure beats sitting here in my home office, beer or no beer.:(

chuckie - 8-15-2020 at 05:22 PM

I wonder when Jizzy actually launched a boat in Loreto???

viva la vida - 8-16-2020 at 09:49 AM

One more time, last time. Please comprehend what I am writing here.

I am not putting words in anyone's mouth.

Simply put there is no racism behind the rules that are being enforced at the launchramp at Loreto.

Boats that are allowed to launch:

**commercial fishing vessels with valid permit
**tourism boats that have vaild permiso nautica
**port captain emergency vessels
**military

THAT'S IT!

This is about THE BOAT PERMIT and not the person driving or being a passenger inside the vessel.

So what kinds of boats cannot be launched?

Any vessel that does not fall into the above categories is not allowed to launch at Loreto town launchramp under these covid rules.

If you want to launch your foreign or imported private vessel you are not permitted to launch right now because your BOAT is not permitted as I described.

If you want to launch your Mexican particular registered boat (private vessel) you cannot use the ramp until further notice.

If you are a MEXICAN person born in MEXICO born in LORETO, have a Mexican captain or a Mexican Loretano Captain and want to launch your private vessel that does NOT fall into the approved categories then......

YOUR BOAT CANNOT BE LAUNCHED AT LORETO!!

Señora Marla can you not see that the rules do not target "gringoes"? These regs apply to everyone nomatter where they come from or what their citizenship is. Long time Loreto residents, citizens, can you not read and understand enough spanish to understand that these regs apply to ALL persons and that there is no xenophobia about it. Please get over yourselves, you are making yourselves look really bad.

So like I have requested Señora can you please edit the title of this thread? You are publishing incorrect information that may hurt our friends neighbors and the town in general.

[Edited on 8-16-2020 by viva la vida]

mtgoat666 - 8-16-2020 at 10:10 AM

Simply put there is no racism behind the rules that are being enforced at the launchramp at Loreto.

**military

THAT'S IT!

This is about THE BOAT PERMIT and not the person driving or being a passenger inside the vessel.

Any vessel that does not fall into the above categories is not allowed to launch at Loreto town launchramp under these covid rules.

If you want to launch your foreign or imported private vessel you are not permitted to launch right now because your BOAT is not permitted as I described.

If you want to launch your Mexican particular registered boat (private vessel) you cannot use the ramp until further notice.

If you are a MEXICAN person born in MEXICO born in LORETO, have a Mexican captain or a Mexican Loretano Captain and want to launch your private vessel that does NOT fall into the approved categories then......

Señora Marla can you not see that the rules do not target "gringoes"? These regs apply to everyone nomatter where they come from or what their citizenship is. Long time Loreto residents, citizens, can you not read and understand enough spanish to understand that these regs apply to ALL persons and that there is no xenophobia about it. Please get over yourselves, you are making yourselves look really bad.

So like I have requested Señora can you please edit the title of this thread? You are publishing incorrect information that may hurt our friends neighbors and the town in general.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see thru this regulation to discern the truth that lies at the root. This regulation was created to benefit permitted tourism boats by banning private boats used by locals and tourists.
It’s a crock of chit.

SFandH - 8-16-2020 at 01:08 PM

**military

THAT'S IT!

Thanks! That squares it away.

mtgoat666 - 8-16-2020 at 04:00 PM

**military

THAT'S IT!

Thanks! That squares it away.

What is permit process to get a permission nautica? What agency issues this permit?

What special qualifications and skills do permiso nautica boats/operators have to prevent covid-19 transmission.

bajatrailrider - 8-17-2020 at 08:58 AM

All hog wash boycott the sport fishing boats. That is where they make money from American tourist. In Mexico it's always the money. Then when they suffer from no money they will force change.

bajatrailrider - 8-17-2020 at 10:37 AM

Ahh brother Lencho I believe this is a post about Mexico . Whet does Usa have to do with this . Zero

gnukid - 8-18-2020 at 07:32 AM

Here is a response by Luis Enrique Lucero when the issue was contested in Los Barilles, suggesting, the initial suspension comes from the Secreteria de Salud and was enforced by API, though, states that articulo 50 de la Ley de Navigacion, requires a notification of departure and return to port captain, and Secrateria de Salud requires solo dos personas a bordo panga, solo era pescar autoconsumo, previo cumplimiento de los requisitos.

Consider public manifestation, with face masks and social distance to engage dialogue for resolution to use the Loreto launch ramp in a calm, rational manner focused on reduced risk, while serving the essential needs of Nationals and extranjeros.

https://www.gob.mx/fop/acciones-y-programas/administracion-p...
Teléfono: (55) 50904200 ext. 4716
Atención a la ciudadanía: (55) 50904200 ext. 4716
FONATUR Operadora Portuaria

http://saludbcs.gob.mx
Contactanos (612) 175-11-00

http://www.sectur.gob.mx/gobmx/pueblos-magicos/loreto-baja-c...

Typically, requests for departure are made in advance, by a few days, to include:

Name of the boat
Registration number
Gross tonnage
Length
Crew names

If no formal requests were made, then none were denied? First make a formal request for departure conforming to the requirements and then use the denial or lack of response as part of the negotiation

95883661_3168573613208304_7583853311959236608_n.jpg - 49kB

[Edited on 8-18-2020 by gnukid]

defrag4 - 8-20-2020 at 02:53 AM

as someone who fishes almost everyday in loreto from shore, boat, or kayak, i can confirm viva la vida is 100% correct

doesnt matter if you are a gringo/mexican/space martian, the only way to launch your boat at the marina is if you have the proper tourism/commercial permits, otherwise you are going to have to illegally launch off the closed beaches or trailer down to puerto escondido and pay the ~$20 launch fee (bring ur flashlight...)

ive already gotten a few early AM calls from my less experienced local buddies who got their damn trucks stuck trying to beach launch at lowtide and had to go yank their butts out of the surf :lol:

I launch my aluminum skiff off salinitas or zaragosa beach, illegal for sure, but the cops dont mind as long as your not standing on the beach and blatantly partying it up

politics and corolla virus aside, the dorado bite is on and ill friggin swim out there if i have too!

[Edited on 8-20-2020 by defrag4]

defrag4 - 8-20-2020 at 09:55 AM

marina is closed today due to hurricane, sorry gringos

mtgoat666 - 8-20-2020 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Here is a response by Luis Enrique Lucero when the issue was contested in Los Barilles, suggesting, the initial suspension comes from the Secreteria de Salud and was enforced by API, though, states that articulo 50 de la Ley de Navigacion, requires a notification of departure and return to port captain, and Secrateria de Salud requires solo dos personas a bordo panga, solo era pescar autoconsumo, previo cumplimiento de los requisitos.

Consider public manifestation, with face masks and social distance to engage dialogue for resolution to use the Loreto launch ramp in a calm, rational manner focused on reduced risk, while serving the essential needs of Nationals and extranjeros.

https://www.gob.mx/fop/acciones-y-programas/administracion-p...
Teléfono: (55) 50904200 ext. 4716
Atención a la ciudadanía: (55) 50904200 ext. 4716
FONATUR Operadora Portuaria

http://saludbcs.gob.mx
Contactanos (612) 175-11-00

http://www.sectur.gob.mx/gobmx/pueblos-magicos/loreto-baja-c...

Typically, requests for departure are made in advance, by a few days, to include:

Name of the boat
Registration number
Gross tonnage
Length
Crew names

If no formal requests were made, then none were denied? First make a formal request for departure conforming to the requirements and then use the denial or lack of response as part of the negotiation

[Edited on 8-18-2020 by gnukid]

Pablo,
It is much easier to say “flock it,” and visit another town where you don’t have to dick around to get on the water.

ncampion - 8-20-2020 at 10:54 AM

**military

THAT'S IT!

I think it's more than what you say. Our friends (gringos) who live on the beach north of town were out in their tin boat fishing when they were approached by a patrol boat and told to return to shore. They followed them to shore, took pictures of their boat and of them and told them next time they would confiscate their boat. There seems to be a local war on gringo boaters for some reason. The lockdown in Loreto is beyond crazy COVID or not.

defrag4 - 9-3-2020 at 09:36 AM

ATTN ALL GRINGOS + BLACK PEOPLE + GREEN PEOPLE

RAMP IS NOW OPEN TO ALL

fish on! :bounce:

JZ - 9-3-2020 at 02:38 PM

Life is slowly, but surely getting back to normal.

Can't wait to get down there in Oct and Nov.

pacificobob - 9-3-2020 at 04:06 PM

i have launched at deep creek more times than I can count. works a trick.
always wondered how the tractor owner was able to combat the corrosion.

SFandH - 9-3-2020 at 04:25 PM

Anybody remember the old forestry monster truck that launched and recovered boats in San Felipe? Massive rust but it worked.

JZ - 9-3-2020 at 04:38 PM

Anybody remember the old forestry monster truck that launched and recovered boats in San Felipe? Massive rust but it worked.

I've used the launch ramp at the marina in San Felipe several times.

That thing is pretty crazy.

SFandH - 9-3-2020 at 04:46 PM

I'm talking about before the marina. The only way was beach launch. The last time I saw the beast truck was maybe 35 years ago. Unique truck. Radical tides.

Flat bottomed freighters used to go to San Felipe, wait for the tide to go out, unload the ship while it was high and dry, then wait for the tide to come in and move on.

David K - 9-3-2020 at 05:14 PM

I'm talking about before the marina. The only way was beach launch. The last time I saw the beast truck was maybe 35 years ago. Unique truck. Radical tides.

Flat bottomed freighters used to go to San Felipe, wait for the tide to go out, unload the ship while it was high and dry, then wait for the tide to come in and move on.

Maybe not the same one, but this was in the late 1960s... from the 1970 Cliff Cross Baja Guide, at San Felipe:

sancho - 9-3-2020 at 05:47 PM

Maybe 20+ yrs. back, at Kiki's RV Park San Felipe, was a beast of
old truck, orange as I remember, that would winch boats on trailers up thru Kiki's ramp, while
attached to a 2" or so wire braided cable buried in the middle of the RV area, allways of interest

Alan - 9-4-2020 at 09:45 AM

I remember a beast truck from the mid 70's with a big A frame on the back. I believe it was at Rueben's

JC43 - 9-5-2020 at 06:19 PM

Oh ... oh ...! Where does your world ends? At the "Trump Wall" ? "The world is not enough" J.B. said. And there are other licenses you might not know. :light:

chuckie - 9-6-2020 at 05:47 AM

Were you drunk when you wrote that?