BajaNomad

Missing person in San Quintin, Baja - his late wife was my boss in La Jolla, Ca. UPDATE 1/26

BajaBlanca - 9-1-2020 at 07:16 PM

From the Mulege News which I just joined a day or so ago....what do I see but my late boss's husband who is missing in Baja. He is traveling with Kathy, his new partner.

I hope they are on a beach somewhere and just off the grid.

Nini was his wife and my boss. An amazing woman whom I miss so much. Ian has had a house near San Quintin for over 40 years. She went often until she passed away.

VEHICLE INFO: Navy blue Toyota Land Cruiser 1996

Please keep an eye out for them! Ian is from South Africa originally and his late wife, my boss, was Dutch.

Please keep an eye out amigos. Let's find them.

https://www.facebook.com/guerrerodesal/posts/177670065581152...

Guerrerodesal
6h ·
Familiares buscan a pareja de Estadounidenses están en calidad de desaparecidos
#Anexamos Buen día, se solicita de su ayuda para localizar a Ian Herschon de 75 años y a su actual pareja Kathy, ellos tienen casa en el Socorrito y vienen de vacaciones cada cierto tiempo, pero desde el Viernes pasado ya no se supo nada, ellos gustan de practicar Kayak.
Ya se corroboro en su casa de San Diego y no se encuentran.
Ellos viajaban en una Toyota Land Cruiser Azul Marino 1996 laminados VIN # JT3HJ85J3TO144912
Informes en los siguientes teléfonos 6161052911 ó 6161114805

[Edited on 1-29-2021 by BajaBlanca]

BajaBlanca - 9-1-2020 at 08:27 PM

Ian and new partner, Kathy

wilderone - 9-2-2020 at 08:51 AM

What are the "missing" details? Expected back but didn't show? Where might they be?

BajaBlanca - 9-2-2020 at 09:00 AM

When I saw the original post, I was kind of surprised that Ian's daughter had not contacted me, nor Lindsay who lived in Mulege for years.

I wrote to Lindsay who called Ava (the daughter) and lo and behold, Ava did NOT even know her dad was missing! It was the caretaker of the El Socorrito house who notified police and did not have contact info for Ava or her brother.

Now, everyone is aware and we have more info:

Missing since Saturday in the San Quintin/Rancho Los Pinos/El Socorrito area of Baja:
Ian Hirschsohn (age 77) elderly white male approximately 6 ft tall, 190 lbs
Kathy Harvey (age 74) elderly white female approximately 5’6”, 130 lbs
Last seen traveling together in a navy blue Toyota Land Cruiser with California plates 4CVJ315
Any information on their whereabouts, please contact me immediately at 503-688-8581
Edit: my dad Ian has a house in El Socorrito and is a seasoned veteran of Baja travel since purchasing the house in ‘85 - he was staying at the house and the community is the first to report him missing not me. He was due back to the USA on 8/31 and border reports he has not crossed back.

tiotomasbcs - 9-2-2020 at 10:13 AM

Like you said Blanca I hope he is sittin on a beautiful beach w/o any cell signals. It seems one place where many have turned up is Agua Verde! Good reason to leave note/tell a friend where you're off to. Hoping for the best!

BajaBlanca - 9-2-2020 at 12:55 PM

So, he told a neighbor that he was headed back to the States last Sunday. So, the location to keep an eye out is between San Quintin and border BUT HE LEFT HIS COMPUTER in San Quintin....charging. The passports are not there. Kitchen is spotless.

This is now getting worse and weirder by the minute.

norte - 9-2-2020 at 06:03 PM

Lots of people reported missing right now in Baja. Take care for those that go.

lindsay - 9-2-2020 at 08:11 PM

Thanks Blanca and everyone who is helping Ava with the search for Ian and his partner, Kathy. All your support is very appreciated during this stressful time and sending positive thoughts and prayers for them to be found safe.

BajaBlanca - 9-2-2020 at 08:25 PM

Here is a photo of the car. Pretty unique with the kayaks on it.

BajaBlanca - 9-3-2020 at 07:00 PM

No News and that is not good news.

Very disheartening. doc reys firefighter friend and now Ian.

Missing couple-David K may be able to help?

Sparetimewanted - 9-3-2020 at 07:13 PM

It was reported on Talk Baja (FB) that they may have gone to see a "petrified forest (rocks) or a mine. If anyone knows anything about those locations or if anyone can check it may be helpful.

BajaBlanca - 9-3-2020 at 07:36 PM

I asked DK about this and he says the area west of El Rosario is referred to as the petrified forest.

Maybe we can get Antonio from Baja Cactus to get some one to check around???? What is his nomad name, does anyone know?

Any other suggestions???

I also wrote to Ava, the daughter. I think that a reward for information should be offered.

BajaParrothead - 9-3-2020 at 10:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Maybe we can get Antonio from Baja Cactus to get some one to check around???? What is his nomad name, does anyone know?

Blanca it is BajaCactus

norte - 9-4-2020 at 07:00 AM

I am surprised more people on this forum are not jumping up to help. I thought this was the premier site for Baja. Help find these people.

David K - 9-4-2020 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I asked DK about this and he says the area west of El Rosario is referred to as the petrified forest.

Any other suggestions???

I also wrote to Ava, the daughter. I think that a reward for information should be offered.

I will send a message to Antonio via Isela (the motel manager) and I will email Ed Lusk of Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast (El Rosario).

[Edited on 9-4-2020 by David K]

del mar - 9-4-2020 at 01:27 PM

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/san-diego-couple-mis...

:(

Skully - 9-4-2020 at 01:49 PM

Very sad. And very unfortunate.

My condolences to the family.

BajaBlanca - 9-4-2020 at 01:54 PM

Oh my God.

Oh.

My.

God.

My worst nightmare.

John Harper - 9-4-2020 at 04:09 PM

Wow, what a tragic ending to the search. My condolences to family and friends of this couple. You just never know.

John

CaboMagic - 9-4-2020 at 05:03 PM

So very sad … Our condolences .. L&T

David K - 9-4-2020 at 05:16 PM

So sad... so sorry for the loss of friends...

[Edited on 9-5-2020 by David K]

norte - 9-4-2020 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
So sad... so sorry for the loss of friends...
We don't know if they were in an accident or victims of a crime, do we?

car was found in Ensenada earlier in the week. They were found this morning.

elgatoloco - 9-4-2020 at 06:04 PM

Tragedy. Condolences to family and friends.....

BajaCactus - 9-4-2020 at 08:33 PM

Dear friends,

Our sentiments and condolences to the family of Ian and Kathy... very, very sad.

Not all the details are out yet, but it seems they were found shot and dead inside a water well... right now (Sept 4th, 8:20pm PT) rescue operations are on their way to extract the bodies from that well, which has proven difficult due to the decomposition state of the bodies and the water inside that well. San Quintin Fire Department is in charge of that operation, however Desert Hawks have been consulted in the logistics of the operation and are in standby to respond in assistance if required... (Thanks to the help and support of many friends in the US, including some here at BajaNomads, our volunteers are trained in Confined Space Rescue which is not very common down here).

Very sad story...

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

mtgoat666 - 9-4-2020 at 09:02 PM

So the bodies were found in SQ? Was the car found at the body dump? So many questions!

Are murders of gringos common in San Quintin? When was last gringo murdered in SQ? I recall several serious violent crimes, including Ron dude (and his wife) of talk baja, I seem to recall some thugs beat them to the edge of death.... just pure luck they survived, as they were left for dead...

Next time I pass they SQ, I will keep the doors locked and not stop!

[Edited on 9-5-2020 by mtgoat666]

BajaParrothead - 9-4-2020 at 09:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
So the bodies were found in SQ? Was the car found at the body dump? So many questions!

Are murders of gringos common in San Quintin? When was last gringo murdered in SQ? I recall several serious violent crimes, including Ron dude (and his wife) of talk baja, I seem to recall some thugs beat them to the edge of death.... just pure luck they survived, as they were left for dead...

The reports posted above indicate the Toyota was found in Ensenada prior to the discovery of the bodies.

mtgoat666 - 9-4-2020 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  

The reports posted above indicate the Toyota was found in Ensenada prior to the discovery of the bodies.

I think san quintin is part of Ensenada “County”. Well, what I call county, and Mexicans call ‘municipality,” which differs from ciudad, eh?

BajaParrothead - 9-4-2020 at 09:56 PM

San Quintin is in the municipality of San Quintin.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...

mtgoat666 - 9-4-2020 at 10:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  
San Quintin is in the municipality of San Quintin.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...

So inquiring minds want to know,.... the bodies were dumped in a well in SQ, and where was their car found?
Who were the perps? Were they captured?

norte - 9-5-2020 at 07:06 AM

I wonder if there has been a positive identification (since there is decomposition) and the family notified. Would hate for the rumor mil to notify them.

DawnPatrol - 9-5-2020 at 08:55 AM

Just talked to a neighbor of Ian & wife. What he relayed to me was that they were going to visit the "mine" (out of operation for a couple years) back in the hills east of Hwy 1
the processing plant is visible from the Highway just South of Pabellon and just North of Socorrito.
The mine itself is farther back up in the hills.
Seems as though there are many wells , some used and some abandoned in the area.

The vehicle was found in Ensenada and there were two people apprehended.

The conjecture is that they must have given up the location of the well because the bodies were found very fast.

very sad.

They had lived down there for 30 some years

Must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We have been up in those hills years ago on the Polaris' running around and theres all sorts of trails and hidden ranchos up there

Alan

[Edited on 9-5-2020 by DawnPatrol]

[Edited on 9-5-2020 by DawnPatrol]

BajaBlanca - 9-5-2020 at 09:27 AM

I do not know anything more, did not even know as much as Dawn Patrol has shared. I am losing sleep over this crime, and I know it is dangerous everywhere and it could have been anywhere but this one hit me close to home.

Antonio, bless you for helping out. I promise you that every time we go by Baja Cactus, I will continue to donate the little I can.

The bizarre thing is that Ian's daughter Ava did not know her dad was missing until I saw it on Talk Baja, wrote to baja nomad Lindsay who also worked with Ian's ex-wife at the same school I did, who in turn contacted Ava, only to find that she didn't even know.

Lesson 1: Please leave contact information with your neighbors as to whom to contact in the event of a problem. Ian's Baja house caretaker had no idea how to contact Ian or Kathy's family. I have names and phone numbers in the cars and since day 1 of moving to Baja, left information with one of our neighbors with names and phone numbers of family in the U.S.

Lesson 2: I guess another message we can take away is that it is no longer safe to be in a remote area without at least one other vehicle being with you. More safety in numbers?

Move the bickering to another thread amigos. Thanks.

Whale-ista - 9-5-2020 at 11:32 AM

Very sad to read this.

May your memories of him in happier times be a source of comfort.

BajaBlanca - 9-5-2020 at 06:33 PM

Ian's daughter Ava has asked that we NOT get involved any more so as to let the cops/detectives do their jobs.

She turned off posting on Talk Baja.

Thanks all of you.

BajaBlanca - 9-5-2020 at 07:51 PM

I was contacted by someone today who also contacted Ava...she said she had read my thread here and Ava's on Talk Baja.

Well meaning but Ava had asked for no involvement.

I understand the police are doing an excellent job. There will be justice.

LancairDriver - 9-5-2020 at 08:26 PM

Blanca, you did the right thing to offer your help. There is no better way to cover the Baja peninsula than enlisting the help of hundreds of Nomad eyes who are more than casually familiar with the territory. If I ever were to have a close friend or family member missing in Baja I would be extremely grateful for the Nomads help. I certainly would not ever express any feelings otherwise.

advrider - 9-5-2020 at 09:06 PM

Sad news. A big thanks to Antonio for helping out and answering the call once again.

John Harper - 9-6-2020 at 05:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Blanca, you did the right thing to offer your help. There is no better way to cover the Baja peninsula than enlisting the help of hundreds of Nomad eyes who are more than casually familiar with the territory. If I ever were to have a close friend or family member missing in Baja I would be extremely grateful for the Nomads help. I certainly would not ever express any feelings otherwise.

+1

John

BajaMama - 9-6-2020 at 09:52 AM

Mgoat - I cannot remember the exact year, somewhere between 2000-2002 maybe, two friends of my sister (from Reno area) drove down in a brand new truck with cash to buy some pot. Apparently they flashed their cash and camped on a beach that wasn't a guarded campground area. They were found dead and sometime later a law enforcement officer was seen driving the gtruck. I seem to recall the name "El Diablo" was the murderer. It was somewhere between San Quinn tin and El Rosario I think.

tiotomasbcs - 9-6-2020 at 11:15 AM

Baja Mama....yes I remember that story and another from many years ago. As young surfers/fishermen we explored the whole area and camped...until things started to change! My brother in Gardnerville still talks about the Incident you mention! I agree with AKgringo.

[Edited on 9-6-2020 by tiotomasbcs]

BajaBlanca - 9-6-2020 at 11:40 AM

AK sounds like a good suggestion!

Even though Ava is not on baja nomad, not everyone reads all the comments.

BajaNomad - 9-6-2020 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Mgoat - I cannot remember the exact year, somewhere between 2000-2002 maybe, two friends of my sister (from Reno area) drove down in a brand new truck with cash to buy some pot. Apparently they flashed their cash and camped on a beach that wasn't a guarded campground area. They were found dead and sometime later a law enforcement officer was seen driving the gtruck. I seem to recall the name "El Diablo" was the murderer. It was somewhere between San Quinn tin and El Rosario I think.

Herb Dohr and Alan Swan in 1997?:

https://lasvegassun.com/news/1998/jan/10/2-nevada-men-found-...

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-jan-16-sp-8877-...

tiotomasbcs - 9-7-2020 at 08:15 AM

Thanks Doug. Lots of good hotels in the area nowadays. A bit safer South but even The Wall area near Santa Rosalilita has had Bad stories. The Old Days were great...bit different these days!

Mother of Dragons - 9-7-2020 at 09:12 AM

Saw this on Talk Baja just now

Ava Setzer
First of all, all of the information listed is not accurate. They took my facebook post and shared heresy that is not true. No bodies have been identified, there is an open investigation and the FBI, SDPD, Ensenada Ministerio, San Quintin Police and US Dept of State are ALL working on this. Im very angry at CBS 8 for this terrible misreporting
If we had any concrete facts to share about my missing family members I would do so immediately.
Ron Hoff please amend the post to share this if possible. Ive already spoken to the reporter bit they refuse to take it down
Ava Setzer
The television news channels contacted me based on the facebook post and posed their story as help on a missing persons case. They have spun the story with heresy and unsubstantiated facts into what you are reading now. They robbed me of the peace i need to continue supporting the investigation in Mexico AND have caused a flood of premature concern and condolences that i frankly dont have the time or energy to manage. Im extremely angry that Ive been taken advantage of, all the quotes I provided were to help support a missing persons case and urge support from the community to provide any details they might know to help

[Edited on 9-7-2020 by Mother of Dragons]

LancairDriver - 9-7-2020 at 10:49 AM

After the Mexican police nabbed the victims vehicle and suspects driving it the case seemed to break. Mexican police are notorious for being able to extract information from suspects in a very short time frame. How else could they find the right well in an area reported to be full of abandoned wells and quickly find two body’s? Understandable that family would cling to hope that the victims were not quickly positively identified as their loved ones.

norte - 9-8-2020 at 04:55 AM

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/us-couple-fou...

SFandH - 9-8-2020 at 08:03 AM

https://www.elimparcial.com/tijuana/ensenada/Investigan-desa...

wilderone - 9-8-2020 at 08:15 AM

Included in the abc news article:

Meanwhile, at the southern end of the Baja Peninsula, the Baja California Sur state prosecutor’s office said the body of 65-year-old Craig Harrison was found on the beach in Cabo Pulmo Saturday evening. An autopsy determined that he had been stabbed in the chest before ending up in the ocean.

Harrison, a citizen of South Africa and Canada who settled in Mexico, had been missing since Aug. 29. According to his real estate website, Harrison settled in Cabo San Lucas in 1997 after working as an accountant and a wine importer in Canada.

He ran a vacation rental business in Cabo

Mother of Dragons - 9-8-2020 at 12:36 PM

I didn’t know about the Cabo Pulmo man.

And the firefighter is still missing?

Can anyone translate the article that SF and H posted please.
Google translate isn’t the greatest. Thank you.

David K - 9-8-2020 at 12:44 PM

As for where the bodies were found, translated:

By virtue of the above, the search began in the place, locating a water well, approximately 4 kilometers west of the km. 24 + 900 of the San Quintín-Punta Prieta section of the Transpeninsular Highway, where the extremity of a human body was visible at the bottom of it, which was covered with vegetation typical of the place.

Only problem is the direction, it was EAST not WEST. Km. 25 is El Socorro. That road goes way inland, up a valley. To the west, is the ocean past the homes of El Socorro.

Mother of Dragons - 9-9-2020 at 01:54 PM

Thank you David. This is the saddest story I’ve heard of in a very long time. Just awful.

tiotomasbcs - 9-9-2020 at 02:45 PM

They are all sad. What about the couple in Bay of L A that were killed last year trying to abort the theft of their fishing boat in the middle of the night?! They even shot the dog?! And there was a robbery/death in Todos Santos last summer that didn't make headlines. Crystal and burglaries...let em take your stuff...it can be replaced.

Ian Herschon & Kathy Harvey update

Whale-ista - 1-26-2021 at 06:55 PM

Not sure if there is a thread about this already, but today this was announced via Twitter:

The @FGE reported the arrest of Emmanuel N for the murder of an American couple (Ian Herschon and Kathy Harvey) whose bodies were found in a well on the San Quintín-Punta Prieta highway on September 5, 2020 after being reported missing.

BajaBlanca - 1-27-2021 at 07:22 AM

Thanks for sharing, I had not heard this. Still in shock, all these months later.

Article on this today

landcruising - 1-27-2021 at 04:23 PM

Found this article reporting on this.

https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2021/01/27/man-arrested-on...

mtgoat666 - 1-27-2021 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by landcruising  

yikes!
family member of the landlord slayed the tenant.
any nomads rent from this landlord in El Socorrito?

d-train - 2-2-2021 at 06:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by landcruising  

yikes!
family member of the landlord slayed the tenant.
any nomads rent from this landlord in El Socorrito?

My family does. If your curious about our situation, take a look at this thread I started a few days ago.
Gangster tactics employed by a landlord in El Socorro

BajaMama - 1-1-2022 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

Herb Dohr and Alan Swan in 1997?:

Was talking with my sister about him the other day and did a Nomad search - I did not see that you posted this. Yes it was Alan Swan & Herb Dohr. To this day I cannot talk my sister and her husband to visit us when we are in Punta Chivato.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/1998/jan/10/2-nevada-men-found-...

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-jan-16-sp-8877-...