BajaNomad

Customs at SJD airport

dirkster - 3-28-2005 at 11:01 AM

I'm flying into SJD in a couple of weeks and I plan on taking a thank-you gift along with me to give to the Mexican-Native who allows me to store my vehicle with him. I normally don't have much concern for most items I take down. But this time I plan to take a deskjet all-in-one. Hence it's bigger then my luggage and I'm wondering just what I might expect from the local customs man.

tim40 - 3-28-2005 at 04:36 PM

Take it out of original box, put in new box, and make it look like nothing...Highly unlikely you will be flagged at the red light...if you do, it is a donation to what charitable organization?

yankeeirishman - 3-28-2005 at 04:53 PM

to no offense to anyone......be honest with it. Pay the duty taxes of a few bucks. That printer couldnt be that expensive. Now...you dont sweat during the flight in!

SJD & Customs duty

dirkster - 3-28-2005 at 05:23 PM

So if I should want to make paymnt on the duty for bringing in a 90 dollar printer. Who and where can I do that?

bajalou - 3-28-2005 at 05:39 PM

When you get off the plane, you go thru imigration and customs - they are the people to see. Just tell them it's new and a gift for a friend and how much it cost and they will tell you how to pay duty and how much.

:biggrin:

tim40 - 3-28-2005 at 06:50 PM

I have tried that method and the end process (read headache) drove me to the suggested method above. Was not about the few dollars in duty..

[Edited on 3-29-2005 by tim40]

Duty Free

Salsa - 3-28-2005 at 10:21 PM

You get $300 free before you pay duty.

Don