BajaNomad

Am I Crazy?

travelfar - 9-20-2020 at 12:34 PM

I am brand new to this forum and I hve never traveled to Mexico beforeI could use some help. . Here is what I have in mind:
My wife and I will be travelling the Southwest USA pulling a fairly lightweight pop-up. I have always enjoyed visiting other countries and getting a taste of the culture, cuisine, etc. More importantly, I have always wanted to see the whales, and even to kayak in the vicinity.
My wife and I are pretty good paddlers (actually, I work summers as a kayak instructor). We would need to rent kayaks or possibly hire a guide.
The idea is to pull the trailer down and camp for maybe three or four nights in late January. We could take a day or two to paddle, maybe another day to just chill. Find inexpensive bars and restaurants.
Biggest concern: Is it safe? We don't want to worry about cartels (who would). Likewise we don't want to risk robbery or petty crimes. And of course Covid. Are people taking appropriate precautions? Do you, or would you feel safe at this time?
Are the roads safe for pulling a trailer? I will probably use a 4Runner or similar to pull it.
I heard Los Barriles is a good place to rent kayaks. Do I need to go that far south to see whales or could I get away with stopping sooner like Loreto? Will whales be in the sea of Cortez or only the open ocean?
And what do I need to know about camping in Baja? Electric and water hookups would be great but bathrooms would be necessary.
What about Cabo Pulmo, is that good for camping? Good for seeing whales?
I think that's more than enough questions for one post.
Thanks for all your help.

mtgoat666 - 9-20-2020 at 01:43 PM

The best places to see gray whales are guerrero negro, Laguna San Ignacio and Magdalena bay, in feb and March. You can’t kayak, you go out in pangas (each trip a couple hours long.
For good trailer camping at San Ignacio, check out kuyima. About 10 miles of washboard dirt road, but trailer can make it if you go slow.

The whale camps are going to be limited to 1/3 capacity for the whale season, due to the covid, so reserve space early, they will probably be booked?

You can see some whales on sea of Cortez (fins, humpys, sometimes grays), but kayak probably not be fast enough to catch up to whales in open ocean.

You can kayak out to see migrating gray whales pretty up close in San Diego. Launch at mission bay or La Jolla shores and go 2 miles out, in January or late March/early April, there are lots of migrating grays passing by and about 2 miles offshore is best spot to intercept and be failrly close in kayak as they pass by.

TMW - 9-20-2020 at 01:45 PM

It sounds to me like you would want to visit LA Bay, Bahia de Los angles. There are whale sharks that are as friendly as they get. Plus the water is better (smooth) for paddle boats and kayaks. The bigger gray whales are on the pacific side and come into Scammons Lagoon just south of Guerrero Negro, Laguna San Ignacio and at Magdalena Bay southwest of Constitucion. Normally you rent a boat to go out to see and pet them.

As far as safety goes it is as safe as any place you can go just use common sense. Don't walk down a dark alley at 2 am. Don't insult the bartenders wife or girl friend. You get the point. Don't drive at night for a couple of reasons. You don't want to hit a cow.

All camp grounds have bathrooms and most have showers. Some have water and electric hookups. A good book to use as a reference is Camping Mexico's Baja by Mike and Terri Church. Just remember things change especially with the virus pandemic.

Speaking of the virus pandemic the border is closed to tourist as per the government but people are going anyway and no-one is stopping them. So you take your chances and see what happens. I would suggest you wait until a vaccine is available but that's just me.

David K - 9-20-2020 at 01:48 PM

Stand by for lots of opinion...

From me, I will say that you are likely to have a great time and will return to Baja many times, as most of us Nomads have.

However, bad stuff happens everywhere including your own home state. You must choose if fear will keep you locked at home or not.

Check out the Nomad Trip Reports forum and read how others have enjoyed themselves in Baja.

My signature links below will provide some travel ideas, too.

AKgringo - 9-20-2020 at 02:20 PM

I saw whales once in Los Barriles in March. Two humpbacks put on a show just past where the kiteboarders were playing. I commented to one of the residents that I thought the whales were all on their way north that time of year, and was told that some of them stay around most of the year.

True or not, I don't know, but it was incredible good timing that had me in the audience that day! It is not something you could count on.

JZ - 9-20-2020 at 02:43 PM

See the whales at San Ignacio. Via panga.

Kayak at Loreto. Loreto and the surrounding islands are just amazing. You can have a panga take you and the kayak out to some of the more distant islands. Lots of videos on YT of kayaking in the Sea of Cortez.

Other kayak spots are Bahia Concepcion and Bahia de Los Angeles. Those are more primitive places compared to Loreto. Would recommend spending one night at Conception and a day paddling before heading on to Lorteo. Someplace like Coyote Bay.

At Loreto places I would recommend are Isla Coronado, Agua Verde, Isla Dasante, and Isla Carmen. January can be very windy.

Show your wife the video in my sig to get her excited. I've taken my kids down since they were 4. Pretty safe. Just use common sense. Travel in the day time, don't camp alone near a larger city.

[Edited on 9-20-2020 by JZ]

SFandH - 9-20-2020 at 02:49 PM

Jeez, I wish I was as optimistic as you guys about the safety issue. There's too many meth heads roaming around wide awake in the middle of the night looking for whatever they can find.

We used to camp by ourselves in remote areas in our truck camper. No more, there's safety in numbers.

tiotomasbcs - 9-20-2020 at 03:05 PM

Contact a Travel Club like Discover Baja or Vagabundos del Mar. buy a couple Travel Books. The wind blows on Sea of Cortez side all winter. Most whale viewing sites are on Pacific side and have rules and regs. Nov and Dec are awesome for most all activities. Just don't bring all your best friends! ps best to camp where there are other campers for Safety as mentioned by SFU!

[Edited on 9-20-2020 by tiotomasbcs]

SFandH - 9-20-2020 at 03:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  

as mentioned by SFU!

[Edited on 9-20-2020 by tiotomasbcs]

:lol:

OK Tio.

I think you meant STFU!! :cool:

[Edited on 9-20-2020 by SFandH]

JZ - 9-20-2020 at 04:17 PM

Here is a fantastic place to go. You take a panga about 7 miles out of San Evaristo.

You couldn't get the camper in there unless it was one of those offroad types.

JZ - 9-20-2020 at 04:36 PM

Another cool video.

I think the sand stone shots are from Puerto Gato: 25.303967° -110.948100°.

The arches look like Isla San Jose: 25.096897° -110.710349°

The big cave looks like Punta Pulpito which is just South of Concepcion: 26.517684° -111.446177°

[Edited on 9-21-2020 by JZ]

shari - 9-21-2020 at 08:16 AM

in January the only place you may see whales is in Laguna Ojo de Liebre just a few miles south of Guerrero Negro is the turnoff for the camping area.
AFter that if you want to come down to camp at CAmpo Sirena in Bahia Asuncion, its super safe and friendly...google it for photos etc. or see www.bahiaasuncion.com
Central Baja is very safe and has many beautiful places to camp...in the palms in San Ignacio is pretty and quiet except for the dang bull frogs...hahaha.
It will be chilly on the gulf side that time of year and actually warmer on the Pacific side!

bajaric - 9-21-2020 at 09:50 AM

I would say if it is your first time in Baja, towing a trailer might not be such a good idea. Getting lost in Tijuana is rite of passage, almost fun, in a way. Getting lost in Tijuana towing a trailer would be like a bad dream that you could not wake up from. Plus more things to go wrong; flat tires, catching an edge on a narrow highway, clipping a semi....

If you just gotta tow that trailer, plan out a route very carefully, and stay in established paid camp grounds with some semblance of security. Parking a nice shiny rig on the side of the highway by yourself overnight is just asking for trouble. In remote areas you can camp by yourself without worrying too much, as a long as you get far away from population centers, on rough dirt roads that a gang of sketchy meth heads in a mini van would be unable to traverse. Another reason to not bring a trailer.

As mentioned, whales can be seen only in certain seasons, and require that you go on a organized tour, unless you are on the shoreline close enough to see them when the migration is taking place. There are a few such spots on the coastline north of Guerrero Negro, and elsewhere on the Pacific side.

del mar - 9-21-2020 at 10:24 AM

to drag the pop-up down for 3 or 4 nights sounds like kind of a hassle to me, but regardless have a great trip and try to camp around other folks:P

JZ - 9-21-2020 at 10:47 AM

Cross at Mexicali and not Tijuana.

Mexicali is much easier to navigate than TJ, and the drive down MX 5 is faster and more enjoyable. It avoids all the stop and go travel in the little towns on MX1.

3-4 days is way too short though.

One and done?

AKgringo - 9-21-2020 at 10:53 AM

Fifteen replies to a request for information, and the O.P. is still stuck at one post. Travelfar....are you still here?

Much of Highway 1 south of San Quintín narrows to 19 ft. with no shoulder, on a raised levee

David K - 9-21-2020 at 11:01 AM

jrbaja 19ft..jpg - 26kB
Photo by jrbaja

Don Pisto - 9-21-2020 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Fifteen replies to a request for information, and the O.P. is still stuck at one post. Travelfar....are you still here?

my god someone with a life outside of bajanomads!:rolleyes:

LancairDriver - 9-21-2020 at 11:35 AM

Maybe just consolidating Information on posts before asking questions? Geez, don’t write him off yet, he only posted this yesterday.

travelfar - 9-21-2020 at 12:15 PM

Definitely. I am enjoying reading the posts. Thanks everyone for being so helpful. One thing I will have to do is get a map and figure out where all the place names are.
I guess 3-4 days is a lot of hassle for such a short trip. I will think about staying longer or parking the trailer in So Cal and either finding a motel or tenting.

David K - 9-21-2020 at 12:21 PM

MAPS???
Plenty on the Nomad Road Conditions forum http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88771

or on my website, www.vivabaja.com

mtgoat666 - 9-21-2020 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Cross at Mexicali and not Tijuana.

Mexicali is much easier to navigate than TJ, and the drive down MX 5 is faster and more enjoyable. It avoids all the stop and go travel in the little towns on MX1.

3-4 days is way too short though.

I think the best first-experience of baja is seeing TJ, ensenada, catavina, maybe valle guadalupe, etc., so hwy 1 is best route.
The hwy 5 route is for people that are in a hurry to camp in the dirt...

For a first timer, limited to 5 days, i would hotel it (no trailer) and go no further than san ignacio or santa rosalia.

JZ - 9-21-2020 at 12:25 PM

DK's maps will help you.

My 30 (2018) Baja Maps: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88771

If you use Google Earth, I can give you a bunch of waypoints.

LancairDriver - 9-21-2020 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by travelfar  

Definitely. I am enjoying reading the posts. Thanks everyone for being so helpful. One thing I will have to do is get a map and figure out where all the place names are.
I guess 3-4 days is a lot of hassle for such a short trip. I will think about staying longer or parking the trailer in So Cal and either finding a motel or tenting.

I wouldn’t worry about pulling the trailer and it would definitely help you with your plans. I regularly drive down with a 45 ft. RV pulling a Jeep with no problem. If you enter in Mexicali and take the new highway 5 down it will be a much easier drive with trailer on better road.You will enter highway 1 off of 5 within short drive to Guerra Negro.

AKgringo - 9-21-2020 at 12:38 PM

Going as far as Mulege and Bahia de Conception makes sense to me!

JZ - 9-21-2020 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

I wouldn’t worry about pulling the trailer and it would definitely help you with your plans. I regularly drive down with a 45 ft. RV pulling a Jeep with no problem. If you enter in Mexicali and take the new highway 5 down it will be a much easier drive with trailer on better road.You will enter highway 1 off of 5 within short drive to Guerra Negro.

This is very good advice. I wouldn't take a trailer down MX 1 from the border. I towed a 32 foot boat down on a 36 foot trailer once - never again.

The 5 is much easier and dumps you out on MX 1 at a good starting point.

JZ - 9-21-2020 at 12:54 PM

Going as far as Mulege and Bahia de Conception makes sense to me!

There is good camping and kayaking around Concepcion. Mulege is a fun little town close by, with restaurants, hotel, bar, shops, etc.

This video is in Spanish, but has a lot of good visuals of Concepcion.

[Edited on 9-21-2020 by JZ]

AndyP - 9-21-2020 at 01:59 PM

4 days total? Yes you would be crazy to try to go to Cabo Pulmo and back in that amount of time. I think you need two weeks minimum, and even that is pretty brief. It's a long drive.

Seeing the whales at Guerrero negro could be done in a four-day trip, but I'm not sure there will be many whales that early on. Store the trailer at the border somewhere and use hotels.

Kayaking is better in the spring or fall.

David K - 9-21-2020 at 03:33 PM

Understand that driving times in Baja, on paved roads, are not at all the same as in the U.S.. Plan on 50 miles per hour AVERAGE speed... with stops for immigration, traffic, military inspections (yes, that's right, you are in a Latin American country now), road blocks (accidents are common as the truckers drive like they have 9 lives) and washouts from rain storms.

Where does Day 1 begin? At the border? Driving in Mexico can wear you out as you need to be very defensive and focussed for both the narrow roads and people and animals popping out into traffic.

If you enter Mexico and clear customs (remeber you need a passport and stop at the first building to get your tourist cards (FMM, free if under a week trip) by 9am you could make it to Bahía de los Angeles or Bahía San Luis Gonzaga for the first night... Unless you want to try and do the whale thing, then Guerrero Negro is about 400 miles from the border, or 8 hours.

Remember a couple things, days are short in the winter and you LOSE an hour on the clock at the state border, as Guerrero Negro and south is on Mountain Standard Time, in the winter. Do you want to drive further south? Remember you will take longer getting back because of the border wait.

The really beautiful oasis mission towns of San Ignacio and Mulegé are further south 1.5-3 more hours... and Bahía Concepción is a half hour past Mulegé.

You really need more than 4 days to go past the whales of Guerrero Negro, an it is worth it!

A sampling...

San Ignacio:

Mulegé:

Bahía Concepción:

This is Playa el Coyote, one of a dozen such camping areas, and hot springs in the water, too.

'Baja' is where California began!

travelfar - 9-21-2020 at 05:45 PM

Thanks once again for all the rreplies. Just to clarify one thing, I never even contemplated parking the trailer and camping on my own. It would have to be an organized campground. As I said in the original post, safety and bathrooms are the two non-negotiables.

It seems like if we go as far as Bahia Asuncion, or Santa Rosalia, there would be lots to see and do including kayaking and whales.

In terms of the sort of town I would like to be in, here is how I would imagine it. Big enough to have two or three bars and restaurants in which Americans and locals would feel comfortable. Perhaps I should mention my Spanish is very limited. I'd like a reasonably authentic experience, not the sterile environment some resorts are known for. And as you could probably gather by the original post, we don't have the kind of budget some people might have.

With that in mind, what town(s) would you recommend for me? If we stay four nights, that would leave three full days. Guerrero Negro, San Ignacio, Loreto also look nice.

Finally what would you think about us bringing our dog? She doesn't do well being boarded for that long (who does?) but if we brought her we would need some place to keep her while we are paddling, etc.

TIA
Dennis

chippy - 9-21-2020 at 05:58 PM

Guerrero Negro looks nice:o. It´s not.

advrider - 9-21-2020 at 06:15 PM

JZ, awesome videos!
Use David K's maps.
Bring your dog's, they will love it and most of Baja is dog friendly.. We travel with two.
Don't mess with your trailer, I pull one but only after several trips was I ready, rooms are cheap and you are getting the lay of the land.

I would hit San Felipe the first night and relax (I know JZ hates the
place but the wife and I like it) . Day two a pricey night at Gonzaga bay ($100) for a short relaxing drive ,or camp on the beach just down the way, or go to Bay of LA for the night.
Maybe back track for a night in Catavina as you head North and have plenty of time to sight see on the way or all the way to El Rosario for the night (Baja cactus).
I also enjoyed Coyote Cals as you head north and usually skip Ensenada, just not my thing. Baja miles are longer and takes more time. With your limited travel times I would slow it down and enjoy the landscape and people.

[Edited on 9-22-2020 by advrider]

JZ - 9-21-2020 at 06:21 PM

Loreto is by far my favorite small city. Lots and lots to do on the water, and in town. And even more to see/do in a 30 mile radius of the town. A fair amount of Americans. No idea about camping. If you take your wife to Loreto she will want to come to Baja over and over.

Mulege is smaller, and more low key, but has some restaurants and bars. Quaint and a number of Americans. Beach camping is great at Bahia Concepcion 20-30 mins outside town in organized sites. Some places to eat/drink there.

GN is just a stop over place.

Santa Rosalia is fun to walk around for a day, but not some place you'd camp and mostly a non-tourist MX town.

San Ignacio is a very cool place to stay for a day or two.

I'm not super familiar with Bahia Asuncion, but think it would check most of your boxes. A little low key obviously. Pacific ocean side will be less windy in the winter time compared to the Sea of Cortez.

Bahia del Los Angeles (aka Bay of LA) has ocean front camping for sure. Excellent kayaking if it isn't windy. A few restaurants. Lots of things to explore in the area, with some good/easy off road trails. Cool little town. No cell service though. Just Wi-Fi at some places.

[Edited on 9-22-2020 by JZ]

JZ - 9-21-2020 at 06:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
JZ, awesome videos!
Use David K's maps.
Bring your dog's, they will love it and most of Baja is dog friendly.. We travel with two.
Don't mess with your trailer, I pull one but only after several trips was I ready, rooms are cheap and you are getting the lay of the land.

I would hit San Felipe the first night and relax (I know JZ hates the
place but the wife and I like it) . Day two a pricey night at Gonzaga bay ($100) for a short relaxing drive ,or camp on the beach just down the way, or go to Bay of LA for the night.
Maybe back track for a night in Catavina as you head North and have plenty of time to sight see on the way or all the way to El Rosario for the night (Baja cactus).
I also enjoyed Coyote Cals as you head north and usually skip Ensenada, just not my thing. Baja miles are longer and takes more time. With your limited travel times I would slow it down and enjoy the landscape and people.

The hotel at Gonzaga Bay (alphonsa) is a little pricey for what it is, but the view and location on the ocean is to die for. Pretty sure they rent kayaks there. A very good introduction to Baja. There is camping in the area. It has a very small population. Fun for a day or two.

Gonzaga is only two hours past San Felipe, so keep going after you fuel up and get supplies. If you like to party, SF is the spot, at least when there isn't Covid.

UnoMas - 9-21-2020 at 07:19 PM

travelfar
Check your U2U...

BajaBlanca - 9-22-2020 at 01:37 PM

I would play it by ear, if you like a place, stay longer. For a first timer, san felipe and bay of LA. If you are into wine tasting, you will be in the heart of wine country. Stop for a day and indulge?? I have never done it but my family thoroughly enjoys spending the night there.

head to ojo de liebre and sign up with Shari of whale magic tours. You can either reverse the process at that point or push on to san ignacio for a day. lots of camping spots.

I would recommend stopping by La Bocana next time! That is where we have lived for the past 15 years. We are known for fishing, fishing and fishing. lobster meals at $250 pesos which is really a great price. and of course you get to meet Blanca and Les LOL

Driving distances take longer than one ever imagines and it is not for the faint of heart. Never drive at night. Be prepared to see rugged and unblievably special places.

bajaric - 9-22-2020 at 01:58 PM

I wouldn’t worry about pulling the trailer and it would definitely help you with your plans. I regularly drive down with a 45 ft. RV pulling a Jeep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z57zQNujPyY

classic movie with Lucille Ball - trailer brakes first!

David K - 9-22-2020 at 02:10 PM

The Long Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi was pretty funny!

JZ - 9-22-2020 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  

Going up is the easy part.

That looks like Mt. Whitney.

JZ - 9-22-2020 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The Long Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi was pretty funny!

Pro tip, here is better code to embed a video. It allows you to go to full screen w/o having to go to YT. Learned this from Doug a few months back.

youtube=560x315]n1OkeT1bmew[/youtube

Put brackets around it: [ code ]

David K - 9-22-2020 at 03:28 PM

Sorry JZ, you are leaving out too many details, I don't understand what you posted... I don't mind using tags and editing the old fashion way:

1) Get the YouTube link:

2) Remove the 'watch?' and change the '=' to a '/': https://www.youtube.com/v/Z57zQNujPyY

3) Add the tags: [flash=640x480] in front and [/flash ] in back. Note: I added a space after flash so you can see the link without it changing to an image or video:

[flash=640x480]https://www.youtube.com/v/Z57zQNujPyY[/flash ]

JZ - 9-22-2020 at 03:33 PM

Sorry JZ, you are leaving out too many details, I don't understand what you posted... I don't mind using tags and editing the old fashion way:

1) Get the YouTube link:

2) Remove the 'watch?' and change the '=' to a '/': https://www.youtube.com/v/Z57zQNujPyY

3) Add the tags: [flash=640x480] in front and [/flash ] in back. Note: I added a space after flash so you can see the link without it changing to an image or video:

[flash=640x480]https://www.youtube.com/v/Z57zQNujPyY[/flash ]

Quote one of the video's I posted and you'll see the code. I noticed it when Doug posted a video. It allows ppl watching to go to full screen w/o having to go to the actual YT site.

I had always posted like you are, until someone showed me a better way.

David K - 9-22-2020 at 03:45 PM

Doug explained it here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=76602

JZ - 9-22-2020 at 03:52 PM

Doug explained it here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=76602

Yeah, I'm referring to the 2nd way he suggests, the newer way w/o Flash. You can see the difference in the two videos he posted. The first one has the full screen button in the bottom right corner disabled. It's enabled in the second video.

As a side now, browsers are ending support of Flash at the end of this year. Not sure if that impacts the first method or not, but I suspect it does.

LancairDriver - 9-22-2020 at 07:10 PM

I wouldn’t worry about pulling the trailer and it would definitely help you with your plans. I regularly drive down with a 45 ft. RV pulling a Jeep

Hilarious video! If that doesn’t scare the caca our of a first time Baja traveler I don’t know what will. Yes, going up is the easy part but going down is another story. Personally I would walk down rather than get into that rig. Very good video dubbing for a 1953 film.

AKgringo - 9-23-2020 at 09:14 AM

About the dog.....I take mine every time, and although some of my options are limited by my 90 pound co-pilot, we both enjoy the ride! An official health certificate is no longer required (unless you are flying) but be prepared with proof of parasite prevention (for Mexico) and rabies for re entering the US.

I have never been asked by Mexico for the health records, and only once by the US, but you should have them.

If you need a veterinarian while south of the border, don't hesitate to use a local clinic. I have been pleased with the care, and cost, both times I needed a doctor for my dog!

About the trailer....If you love it, take it! A pop-up is probably about the same size as the small utility trailer I sometimes take down there. I went way oversize on the tires, and way under inflated compared to what I would run on my SUV. As long as the sidewalls aren't bulging or getting warm, the soft tires will serve you well with things like pot holes or topes!(speed bumps)

By the way, when you get the Mexican insurance for your car, the trailer must also be declared, and of course you will have proof of registration for it.

Udo - 9-24-2020 at 08:18 AM

If you wish to camp in San Ignacio, there is a campground along the river just before you enter the town plaza and Mission. It is on the right just after you cross the lagoon/river bridge. From there you can walk into town.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The best places to see gray whales are guerrero negro, Laguna San Ignacio and Magdalena bay, in feb and March. You can’t kayak, you go out in pangas (each trip a couple hours long.
For good trailer camping at San Ignacio, check out kuyima. About 10 miles of washboard dirt road, but trailer can make it if you go slow.

The whale camps are going to be limited to 1/3 capacity for the whale season, due to the covid, so reserve space early, they will probably be booked?

You can see some whales on sea of Cortez (fins, humpys, sometimes grays), but kayak probably not be fast enough to catch up to whales in open ocean.

You can kayak out to see migrating gray whales pretty up close in San Diego. Launch at mission bay or La Jolla shores and go 2 miles out, in January or late March/early April, there are lots of migrating grays passing by and about 2 miles offshore is best spot to intercept and be failrly close in kayak as they pass by.

David K - 9-24-2020 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

Hilarious video! If that doesn’t scare the caca our of a first time Baja traveler I don’t know what will. Yes, going up is the easy part but going down is another story. Personally I would walk down rather than get into that rig. Very good video dubbing for a 1953 film.

Before they improved the Cuesta del Infierno, going northbound from Santa Rosalía, it was scary steep and narrow pulling a trailer!

AKgringo - 9-24-2020 at 09:23 AM

Before they improved the Cuesta del Infierno, going northbound from Santa Rosalía, it was scary steep and narrow pulling a trailer!

As recently as late February, it can still be pretty scary depending on what is coming down the hill at you. Be prepared to share your side of the pavement!

pacificobob - 9-24-2020 at 05:38 PM

As recently as late February, it can still be pretty scary depending on what is coming down the hill at you. Be prepared to share your side of the pavement!

the radius of a few of those curves require a doble semi remolque to use parts of the oncoming lane. not the truck drivers fault...just geometry.
i have found Monday on highway #1 to have less truck traffic.

travelfar - 9-27-2020 at 06:52 PM

First and foremost thanks to everyone for sharing your time and expertise. I still have questions but I know where to turn for answers. Lots of them.
It now looks like we would start our trip some time between Feb. 2 and 8. I will continue to plan for 4 sleeps but may stretch it to 5 (see below).
I have had one or more recommendations for Bahia de Los Angeles, Bahia San Luis Gonzaga, Bahia Concepcion, and Laguna Ojo de Liebre as possible places to kayak, see whales and/or camp.
The towns of Tijuana, Ensenada, Catavina, San Felipe, Loreto, San Quintin, Mulege, Santa Rosalia and San Ignacio have all been mentioned as towns to at least stop in if not actually stay in. And I am sure I have missed some.
Some people have said bring the camper, it should be no problem. An equal number said leave it home, too much hassle.
So here are my thoughts so far. Being able to chat with someone to get local tips on where to eat or the best road to get to someplace would be a benefit. I assume I would have better luck at a small hotel than a campground, but maybe not. People in campgrounds can be friendly and helpful, usually are.
It seems like Bahia Asuncion and Laguna Ojo de Liebre are my top choices to get up close and personal with gray whales, so that is a definite. I see that Shari has both an Inn and camping so either would work. I haven't figured out what whale camp is but I will soon.
I think I would also like to make a second stop, to get a different, authentic experience. I figure the east coast where I might see a humpback or whale shark. Mulege, Santa Rosalia and Loreto seem to fit the bill.
Incidentally, I would also love to go fishing but charter boats seem to be out of my price range.
One concern is that I don't know if I can make it from the border to either Bahia Asuncion or Mulege before dark, and one thing everybody agrees on is don't drive after dark.If I got to the Mexicali crossing bright and early and drove for 8 hours, plus gas and pee breaks, would I be pushing my luck? How long should I figure it will take to get across, assuming they let me in? Or should we spend our first night a few hours south of the border so we only have a 4-6 hour drive the next day? San Felipe? That might help us orient ourselves to being in another country.
Apparently taking the dog will be fine but I still have the issue of finding a dog sitter while we are in the boat.
Gracias mis amigos!

JZ - 9-27-2020 at 07:34 PM

Hanging out with Shari in Bahia Asuncion would be a good introduction to Baja for you.

While theoretically doable, making it to Asuncion in one day is tough to do. Especially pulling a trailer.

I'd shoot for Guerrero Negro the first day. Cross the border at Mexicali just before day break. Get a cheap hotel in GN and enjoy a good meal of fish tacos and Pacificos. From there head down to BA in the AM.

You can see Mulege/Concepcion and / or San Ignacio in the general area if you extend your trip. Or just stroll down the central West coast of Baja (easier).

You really need 6 days at a minimum to do this trip. 8-10 days would be ideal.

Remember to expect the unexpected. Flat tires, break downs, etc.

[Edited on 9-28-2020 by JZ]

AKgringo - 9-27-2020 at 08:00 PM

I thought that you were going to spend a few days driving until you found a place to camp for four days or so, then a couple of days driving north again.

If all you have is four or five days total, I don't think you would miss the trailer much, and would gain mobility.

You should contact Shari well ahead of your travel dates and learn more about her tours, and what ever else she can share. She is active on this forum, here is a recent post with her contact info;

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=95126&got...

By the way, the whale camp operates near Guererro Negro, and that is about 120 miles north of her campground and hotel in Bahia Asuncion.

David K - 9-28-2020 at 07:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Hanging out with Shari in Bahia Asuncion would be a good introduction to Baja for you.

While theoretically doable, making it to Asuncion in one day is tough to do. Especially pulling a trailer.

I'd shoot for Guerrero Negro the first day. Cross the border at Mexicali just before day break. Get a cheap hotel in GN and enjoy a good meal of fish taco and Pacifico's. From there head down to BA in the AM.

You can see Mulege/Concepcion and / or San Ignacio in the general area if you extend your trip. Or just stroll down the central West coast of Baja (easier).

You really need 6 days at a minimum to do this trip. 8-10 days would be ideal.

Remember to expect the unexpected. Flat tires, break downs, etc.

[Edited on 9-28-2020 by JZ]

This taco truck on the main street through Guerrero Negro is where you should eat...

A bit more about Mulege!

AKgringo - 9-29-2020 at 11:46 AM

Mulege is a taste of an older Mexican way of life (except for cell phones and internet) and has changed less than other parts of Baja over the years.

If you ditch the trailer and hotel your way through your trip, I recommend the Hotel Hacienda in the center of town. It is a charming old establishment, very reasonable, dog friendly (on leash in the courtyard) and is central to many shops and restaurants.

Even if you take the trailer, there is gated off street parking available. There is also a fairly short path down to the river that was a great place for me to walk my dog!

I don't know about kayak rentals in the area, but you may be able to leave your dog in the room for a few hours, but I did not try that.

Here is a link; http://www.hotelhaciendamulege.com/

JZ - 9-29-2020 at 12:20 PM

Mulege is a taste of an older Mexican way of life (except for cell phones and internet) and has changed less than other parts of Baja over the years.

If you ditch the trailer and hotel your way through your trip, I recommend the Hotel Hacienda in the center of town. It is a charming old establishment, very reasonable, dog friendly (on leash in the courtyard) and is central to many shops and restaurants.

Even if you take the trailer, there is gated off street parking available. There is also a fairly short path down to the river that was a great place for me to walk my dog!

I don't know about kayak rentals in the area, but you may be able to leave your dog in the room for a few hours, but I did not try that.

Here is a link; http://www.hotelhaciendamulege.com/

Mulege is very nice, quaint. And world-class kayaking is 20-30 mins away at Concepcion Bay.

travelfar - 12-8-2020 at 06:53 AM

I haven't posted in a while. :We decided not to go to Baja this time. The Covid situation is too serious to be going to another country for the first time.

mtgoat666 - 12-8-2020 at 07:48 AM

I haven't posted in a while. :We decided not to go to Baja this time. The Covid situation is too serious to be going to another country for the first time.

Wise choice.
Community spread will not be controlled until people begin following guidance to stay put for a few weeks. Alas, people are selfish and stupid, they continue to go to large social gatherings, bars, restaurants, churches, etc.

Will be a long time before vaccine rolls out. Just yesterday we learned that in late summer Trump declined an offer from Pfizer to buy additional vaccine. Someone must not have gotten their kickback. Trump said it was his operation warp speed, he owns this, he declined the offered vaccine, the real art of the deal, eh?

shari - 12-8-2020 at 09:33 AM

if you come to camp at Bahia Asuncion in our campground Campo Sirena, I have a couple good kayaks for paddling out to the Island to play with the sealions...really cool paddle and you may even see migrating whales too! Sirena can dogsit for you.

stay safe!

Whale-ista - 12-8-2020 at 11:43 AM

Given the long distance you have to travel thru the US to get here- smart choice.

The beautiful places and critters in Baja will still be here when it is safe to travel.

Stay healthy this winter- hope you will visit in the future.