BajaNomad

New resort in El Pescadero?

Pages:  1  

pauldavidmena - 11-25-2020 at 09:23 AM

I just noticed this article about a resort called "Paradero Todos Santos" scheduled to open up in January of next year. Looking at the website, it appears to be El Pescadero, but I'm not sure exactly where. Could it be the old Tequila Ranch? Does anyone know where this resort is?

elgatoloco - 11-25-2020 at 10:12 AM

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Paradero+Todos+Santos/@23....

pauldavidmena - 11-25-2020 at 10:44 AM

Thanks for the reply! Interesting that it's on the Todos Santos side of the arroyo, which I've always thought of as the northern boundary of Pescadero.

Lee - 11-25-2020 at 11:11 AM

Maybe Tom will check in. It's his neighborhood.

So, Paradero is in competition with http://ranchopescadero.com.

Location. Todos Santos is Magico. Pescadero, not so much.

tiotomasbcs - 11-25-2020 at 02:33 PM

Closer to the Hwy than Palmas beach or San Pedrito. This has project has sprung up in last few months..quick build! In middle of Cactus forests. I have read only one posting of WTF are they building out there in middle of nowhere?! lots of infrastructure concerns for our once peaceful little area....

tiotomasbcs - 11-25-2020 at 02:44 PM

Paul david..post it up on TS websites...include articles for maximum effect. The people in general have no clue. I did hear the Paradero is still dealing w/Ejido for water rights $$$$

pacificobob - 11-26-2020 at 07:58 AM

it is an impressive project. we drive past several times a week. visible from the highway. it seems like the building happened very quickly. the number of construction projects in the todos,pesky and Cerritos is incredible.

pauldavidmena - 12-15-2020 at 07:15 PM

According to this article the resort is opening up one month from today. I didn't realize that it was an all-inclusive deal. Why on earth would anyone want to do that in Todos Santos?

Lee - 12-15-2020 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
According to this article the resort is opening up one month from today. I didn't realize that it was an all-inclusive deal. Why on earth would anyone want to do that in Todos Santos?

This place isn't in Todos any more than Cerritos is in Cabo. The name is recognition marketing. I'd consider Palm Beach as the Northern boundary for Todos.

Think tourists will be disappointed with a location in the middle of nowhere, the pueblo of Pescadero, and 10 km to Todos.

pauldavidmena - 12-16-2020 at 07:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

This place isn't in Todos any more than Cerritos is in Cabo. The name is recognition marketing. I'd consider Palm Beach as the Northern boundary for Todos.

Think tourists will be disappointed with a location in the middle of nowhere, the pueblo of Pescadero, and 10 km to Todos.

They'll be especially disappointed if they don't rent a car, which might be the case given that it's an all-inclusive. At least in Cabo you can call a cab to escape the confines of the sprawling resort from time to time.

bkbend - 12-16-2020 at 10:49 AM

People who stay an an all-inclusive aren't really into seeing the sights, smells, and sounds of Baja, too afraid. Except maybe hopping into the resort van with like-minded folks for tour of TS and a photo op at Hotel California.

pacificobob - 12-16-2020 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
People who stay an an all-inclusive aren't really into seeing the sights, smells, and sounds of Baja, too afraid. Except maybe hopping into the resort van with like-minded folks for tour of TS and a photo op at Hotel California.

quite right. for many travel is more about spending time in a climate that doesn't suck, rather and a desire to experience an unfamiliar culture. and grow a bit.

Lee - 12-16-2020 at 12:42 PM

They'll be especially disappointed if they don't rent a car, which might be the case given that it's an all-inclusive. At least in Cabo you can call a cab to escape the confines of the sprawling resort from time to time.

There's a place you pass when driving into Baja Beans parking lot where they have a number of white vans ready to go. Pretty sure those vans will be providing shuttle to town.

I've never stayed all-inclusive but think those clientele want to lay by the pool sipping drinks. Nothing wrong with that. After seeing the galleries in town, that's about it sight seeing.

When I'm in Pesky, I sit on the beach under an umbrella and read or watch the whales. Throw the frisbee for my dog. That's about it. Run in for groceries once a week. Don't get out. Guesss that's all-inclusive, in a way.

No stress.

pauldavidmena - 12-16-2020 at 02:20 PM

There's a place you pass when driving into Baja Beans parking lot where they have a number of white vans ready to go. Pretty sure those vans will be providing shuttle to town.

I've never stayed all-inclusive but think those clientele want to lay by the pool sipping drinks. Nothing wrong with that. After seeing the galleries in town, that's about it sight seeing.

When I'm in Pesky, I sit on the beach under an umbrella and read or watch the whales. Throw the frisbee for my dog. That's about it. Run in for groceries once a week. Don't get out. Guesss that's all-inclusive, in a way.

No stress.

No stress is good!

When we visit, we tend to rent a place with a well-equipped kitchen so that we can prepare most of our own meals. This means trips into town for meat or fish and fresh produce. In Pesky "Agricole" had much of what we needed, and Mini Super Munchies had things like snacks and beer. Going to the markets every day provided an opportunity for me to use Spanish, and making our own meals meant that we could splurge for the occasional night out.

We don't get out too much either, but we've made a few BajaNomad friends and like to catch up in person when possible. We also make a pilgrimage to El Triunfo and would like to visit San Bartolo at some point. We probably won't be doing any of the above again until early 2022. :(

pacificobob - 12-17-2020 at 03:39 PM

mini super munchies has become a real asset to to neighborhood.
the ice cream sandwiches are the stuff of dreams.

pauldavidmena - 12-17-2020 at 04:39 PM

When we visit (every winter since 2011) we alternate between Pescadero and the Las Tunas neighborhood. Each has its allure, but we nearly bought a house in Pescadero a few years ago - even before Mini Super Munchies came on the scene! Now that the first major snowstorm of winter has hit the Northeast, we'd like a "do over"!

[Edited on 12-17-2020 by pauldavidmena]

elskel - 12-24-2020 at 01:21 PM

Here are a few photos:

[Edited on 5-14-2021 by BajaNomad]

pauldavidmena - 12-24-2020 at 02:04 PM

They’ve got some work to do if they’re going to open up next month!

pauldavidmena - 12-25-2020 at 02:19 PM

Just read this article in the La Crosse (WI) Tribune. It isn't about the resort, but is written by its two co-owners about pozole, which is perhaps fittingly misspelled.

Made with "big corn"?

AKgringo - 12-25-2020 at 03:09 PM

Just read this article in the La Crosse (WI) Tribune. It isn't about the resort, but is written by its two co-owners about pozole, which is perhaps fittingly misspelled.

Corn off the cob would not be pozole! Hominy comes from the cob, but needs to be processed (much like olives) before it is fit for pozole.

My first exposure to Pozole was when I was about 12. My family was invited to join in with a fiesta on the beach in Manzanillo. When I went back for a second bowl, the woman who was ladling it out smiled, and made sure to hook what was left of an entire cow skull that was the base for the stock.

By her reaction, my eyes must have gotten a size or two larger, but it didn't stop me from havingf another bowl!

pauldavidmena - 12-25-2020 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Veracity check: What makes you think it was written by the co-owners? :?:

Well, the article says so, but I suppose that doesn't mean it's true. It seems like a weak plug for the resort disguised as a poorly written article about pozole.

Don Pisto - 12-25-2020 at 08:35 PM

Veracity check: What makes you think it was written by the co-owners? :?:
Well, the article says so, but I suppose that doesn't mean it's true. It seems like a weak plug for the resort disguised as a poorly written article about pozole.
We must not be reading the same article.

The one I read looks like an interview of those two owners written by some unknown reporter, who (I assume) would be the one responsible for those spelling and/or cultural gaffes.

Not unexpected in a Wisconsin newspaper, to be unfamiliar with Mexico. :tumble:

or hominy?

In Vogue

pauldavidmena - 12-29-2020 at 06:28 AM

According to this article in Vogue magazine, Paradero Todos Santos is among the 23 most anticipated hotel openings of 2021 and is still on target to open next month.

elskel - 12-29-2020 at 07:03 AM

Photos were from beginning of November.

pauldavidmena - 12-31-2020 at 04:15 PM

Per the Gringo Gazette, rooms start at $550 per night. Save up those pesos!

monoloco - 12-31-2020 at 10:16 PM

Those people paying $550 a night are gonna be pretty disappointed when they realize they are directly downwind of a dump that burns on a regular basis.

mtgoat666 - 12-31-2020 at 10:33 PM

Perhaps it more comfortable than sleeping in the back of your Toyota Tacoma, eating canned chili (with Pacifico), in a windstorm blowing dust/sand into every nook/cranny, eh?

Sometimes camping in the desert dirt/dust is fun. And Sometimes kickin’ back at the 5-star resort is fun too.

It’s only money, you can’t take it with you, spend it on living

pacificobob - 1-1-2021 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Those people paying $550 a night are gonna be pretty disappointed when they realize they are directly downwind of a dump that burns on a regular basis.

quite correct. the silver lining here is the developer may some leverage in la paz to improve the dump situation.....high end tourists will not tolerate toxic smoke for long.

phmilo - 1-1-2021 at 10:18 AM

Wow. For that price you can get a really nice place with a view. You'll have to cook your own food, or venture out with the locals. This probably won't leave you much time for instgramming your experience.

I'm clearly not the target market, but it seems like the wrong place to put people looking for this type of 'experience' .

Cancamo - 1-1-2021 at 12:29 PM

New "Four Seasons" in La Ribera getting $2500/night on New Years, $1700/night during the week for a room. $20-$50 for breakfast. Kinda pricey to tolerate the north wind in your face this time of year.

Meanwhile local maid working adjacent property making 2000 pesos, ($100), for a 50 hour week. WTF???

Like most these places being built, I suspect are washing a lot of $$$.

The wealthy have never been wealthier, and the poorer....

monoloco - 1-9-2021 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

quite correct. the silver lining here is the developer may some leverage in la paz to improve the dump situation.....high end tourists will not tolerate toxic smoke for long.
Well, they would have to have considerably more clout than our local delagados who have been begging the government in La Paz for years with no success, to provide the funds for a proper landfill, regardless of the fact that our community currently has 100's of millions in construction activity that generates 16% IVA tax on every centavo spent on materials, as well as tax on every tourist trinket, hotel room, and margarita sold, it's always the same answer, "We're terribly sorry, but there is no money." I wonder if those developers will also have the leverage to stop the farms surrounding the place from poisoning the guests with their toxic pesticide spraying. At least the politicos in La Paz can proudly stand up and point to the handicapped playgrounds, bike paths, and bronze sculptures on the Malecon that gets rebuilt every 5-10 years as their shining accomplishment in a city where half the population has to have their water delivered by a truck.

[Edited on 1-9-2021 by monoloco]

pauldavidmena - 1-15-2021 at 03:11 PM

I just read this puff piece from "Globe Tender" magazine. It's riddled with errors (Los Cerritos is a surf break?), but I'm sure their target audience won't know the difference.

Lee - 1-15-2021 at 06:36 PM

Yes, puff piece is correct. Cerritos is a beach break. N. end by the rocks wired by MX locals.

San Pedrito Point too. Good for long/short boarders.

Both can break big in the Summer.

phmilo - 2-12-2021 at 07:43 AM

Looks like they have opened up. Still $500+ for a room. Also apparently claiming a private beach.

Anyone want to do a count of rental cars in the parking lot?

pacificobob - 2-12-2021 at 07:47 AM

rumor has it they claim san pedro , aka palm beach, is their private beach.

phmilo - 2-12-2021 at 07:49 AM

Are they restricting access to Palm beach somehow? Is that kind of thing being supported by the local enforcement?

pacificobob - 2-12-2021 at 07:58 AM

i don't know. just something that was mentioned to me.

pauldavidmena - 2-21-2021 at 08:35 AM

Here is the inevitable review in Condé Nast Traveler.

phmilo - 2-21-2021 at 09:17 AM

Well now it all makes more sense. Your $550/night room includes breakfast and an 'experience'.

'Private beach', 'Todos Santos'... so many questions. The restaurant does look pretty good though, I'm sure I'll give them a nickel along the way somewhere.

pauldavidmena - 2-21-2021 at 09:28 AM

The spicy mezcal c-cktail calls my name, but I'd rather make it at home and save the $550 per night - or better yet in a rented casita for a fraction of the price.

And yes, it's an odd trend that new resorts are promising a unique "experience", as if being in Todos Santos couldn't possibly be enough.

pacificobob - 2-21-2021 at 09:36 AM

and lets not discount the "experience " of breathing the toxic smoke from the directly up wind dump.

RFClark - 2-21-2021 at 11:27 AM

We saw that when we were driving by last November and wondered what it was. We drove over to that area several years ago when we we looking for a lot to buy. Back then it was an agricultural area with dirt roads and an area “subdivided” into small lots. Richie Amica had the listing. It’s located well back from the beach.

We’re going to drive to Todos Santos in a couple of weeks. We’ll take a look at the beach and report back. Personally, I like the next beach south where Pura Playa is located! You could camp there and the drinks are great! Plus it’s not $500 a night!

More from Cerritos soon!

pauldavidmena - 2-21-2021 at 01:21 PM

and lets not discount the "experience " of breathing the toxic smoke from the directly up wind dump.

It's an experience one won't soon forget!

elskel - 2-21-2021 at 01:24 PM

They all took a lung full of smoke last week. It was really bad, at $500 per night they got their monies worth of smoke!

pacificobob - 2-21-2021 at 01:44 PM

it goes beyond an esthetic inconvenience. this is f-ing toxic.
i don't even think my dogs should be breathing it.

pauldavidmena - 2-21-2021 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elskel  
They all took a lung full of smoke last week. It was really bad, at $500 per night they got their monies worth of smoke!

You have to think that there will be negative reviews on account of it. Not that it's necessarily their fault, but they should know better than to charge so much money for a frequently adverse "experience".

elskel - 2-21-2021 at 02:09 PM

Muy Toxico!

monoloco - 2-25-2021 at 06:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by phmilo  
Are they restricting access to Palm beach somehow? Is that kind of thing being supported by the local enforcement?
This resort has nothing to do with the Palm Beach, which is still owned by the Rodriguez family who has owned it for decades. They're just using deceptive wording in their marketing ("private beach experience") to make it sound like they have a beach there, when in actuality, they are at best, a long hike to the beach, but their guests will be able to frolic in the surf along with the rest of the unwashed masses at a nearby beach that may seem private due to the fact that not many people go there due to the likelihood of having your car broken into while there. But hey, who needs a beach when you have shamans and yogis?

pacificobob - 2-25-2021 at 06:54 AM

AND.....pescadero is getting a stupa to round out and further enlightenment resources.

mtgoat666 - 2-25-2021 at 07:10 AM

Looks like a nice hotel.

Why are you cheap skates grumbling about the hotel?

Accept the fact that you can’t afford it and move on.

[Edited on 2-25-2021 by mtgoat666]

pacificobob - 2-25-2021 at 07:19 AM

i think you may have missed the important part goat. i doubt anyone local cares about the room rates. the component of interest is that they market the hotel as an eco paradise showcasing the natural splendor of baja California......while toxic smoke from the burning dump chokes the rubes who paid $500 for a room

pauldavidmena - 2-25-2021 at 07:30 AM

To paraphrase the marketing pitch, "you're not just paying for a stay at a resort; you're paying for an Experience."

mtgoat666 - 2-25-2021 at 08:21 AM

i think you may have missed the important part goat. i doubt anyone local cares about the room rates. the component of interest is that they market the hotel as an eco paradise showcasing the natural splendor of baja California......while toxic smoke from the burning dump chokes the rubes who paid $500 for a room

Exotic smells are part of foreign travel...

pacificobob - 2-25-2021 at 08:28 AM

nothing quite says mexico like the scent of burning trash

RFClark - 2-25-2021 at 10:47 AM

Goat,

We can afford to stay at that Hotel! We stay at the Diamonte golf course! Why would we want to stay with a bunch of Liberal posers next to a trash burn area? This is just one of the small expensive boutique hotels springing up in the area. There’s another one north of there next to a commercial fishing area. Concrete cube buildings a pool, $20 drinks and Liberal Posers! Bon Appetite, they’re all yours!

pacificobob - 2-25-2021 at 10:51 AM

liberal posers?.. oh my!

chippy - 2-25-2021 at 11:05 AM

Everyone knows that conservative posers are much more fun!

RFClark - 2-25-2021 at 11:30 AM

You’re not likely to find Conservatives there, no gun range!

pacificobob - 2-25-2021 at 11:40 AM

excellent

RFClark - 2-25-2021 at 12:01 PM

Cerritos does have a very eclectic mix of residents and visitors. Those I’ve met there run the gamut from retired IRA gunmen to farmers, ex-pat American money launderers and perhaps a few Mexican revolutionaries. Nice folks all, great to have a drink with and swap stories. Just stay away from politics and religion!

When visiting far away exotic places always live among the locals. The truth usually is far more interesting than the fiction! The $500 a night folks hang with the same group they hang with back home! Posers all, like I said!

AKgringo - 2-25-2021 at 12:09 PM

On a typical trip for me, gasoline is my largest expense, followed by food/supplies, and then lodging or camp fees!

pacificobob - 2-25-2021 at 01:13 PM

lots of locals at diamonte?

RFClark - 2-25-2021 at 01:41 PM

None, stay there a week every other year cause the wife likes it. We usually rent something domestic in the area or in Todos Santos. The deal we have at Diamonte is cheaper than the Cerritos Beach Hotel per night and you can cook at Diamonte!

phmilo - 2-26-2021 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Looks like a nice hotel.

Why are you cheap skates grumbling about the hotel?

Accept the fact that you can’t afford it and move on.

[Edited on 2-25-2021 by mtgoat666]

I bet you are fun at parties.

pacificobob - 2-27-2021 at 05:50 AM

brutal toxic smoke last night.

monoloco - 2-28-2021 at 05:19 PM

Definitely woke.
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/paradero-todos-santos-first...

RFClark - 2-28-2021 at 05:27 PM

Do you suppose that they have an on-call bug wrangler? That area is noted for things that fly and bite!

AKgringo - 2-28-2021 at 06:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Do you suppose that they have an on-call bug wrangler? That area is noted for things that fly and bite!

Do you think that all bugs would be humanely trapped, and released back into the wild somewhere else? :?:

pacificobob - 2-28-2021 at 06:06 PM

i live close by. i don't know what flying insects you have experienced in the neighborhood..... but we are nearly bug free

Lee - 2-28-2021 at 06:23 PM

Not really.

RFClark - 2-28-2021 at 07:02 PM

Lee,

You’re welcome to contribute (blood) to the local ecology! I’d rather not feed the wildlife!

pauldavidmena - 3-1-2021 at 07:29 AM

Definitely woke.

"woke" as in "I woke up in a smoldering Superfund site."

monoloco - 3-1-2021 at 12:43 PM

Definitely woke.

"woke" as in "I woke up in a smoldering Superfund site."
Jajaja!

mtgoat666 - 3-1-2021 at 01:33 PM

Definitely woke.
I don't know what you mean by "woke", but that has to be some of the ugliest construction I've ever seen.

Kinda like staying in a mausoleum :O

The minimalist/brutalist style is kind of cool look. It may not appeal to those that like their resorts to be the nostalgic, typical or even corporate-chain style resort typical of mexico resorts...

del mar - 3-1-2021 at 01:53 PM

I like it! but im more of a "chair" guy:coolup:

pauldavidmena - 3-27-2021 at 03:23 PM

This article from the Toronto Star, which reads more like an advertisement than a review, mentions a room price of $680 per night. They conveniently omit the unforgettable experience of toxic smoke from the nearby dump. It's as if they only visited remotely!

[Edited on 3-28-2021 by pauldavidmena]

RFClark - 3-28-2021 at 04:45 AM

We drove by there several times recently. You can't get close as there’s a gate with an (armed) guard about 200 feet from HWY1.

The good news is the beach is still open via the north road.

Cerritos had a brush fire while we were there and I wouldn’t want to be in a place closely surrounded by brush as this place is! Local fire resources are very limited!

pauldavidmena - 4-21-2021 at 04:41 AM

No surprise here, but this article reveals that Paradero Todos Santos made the 2021 Travel & Leisure "It List" of "the 73 most remarkable new and newly redone properties around the globe." Three of these are a short ferry ride away from where I live.

pauldavidmena - 5-1-2021 at 03:13 PM

Another article about Paradero Todos Santos, this time in Forbes magazine. Many of the photos seem familiar - as if the "reporter" never actually visited the resort but rather relied upon provided source material. Imagine that! Also familiar the $550 per night price tag - but that includes "experiences".

phmilo - 5-1-2021 at 04:25 PM

Another article about Paradero Todos Santos, this time in Forbes magazine. Many of the photos seem familiar - as if the "reporter" never actually visited the resort but rather relied upon provided source material. Imagine that! Also familiar the $550 per night price tag - but that includes "experiences".

We'll be in the area soon. I plan on stopping by for a c-cktail when we go to palm beach. Maybe I'll write some glowing review and get a few new pics for the gram?

mtgoat666 - 5-1-2021 at 04:47 PM

It seems like a few of yous are jealous — you can’t afford a $550 room (let alone a $75 room), so you sit back and grumble and make stupid snide comments about what otherwise looks like a nice hotel

What about this nice hotel makes it your target while other nice hotels in baja sur are not targeted?

RFClark - 5-1-2021 at 05:26 PM

Goat,

Jealous? (Not!)

Below is the view of the Beach from the door of our $80 US place!

It has a Beach Bar!

A kitchen! I like to cook!

Free WiFi

Absolutely no “Liberal Poseurs”!

It’s run by nice people!

There’s no one to tip!

You can’t see the beach from the $550US place! Why pay more for less? Unless you’re a Poseur too!

3D184D46-9C53-4031-B616-06670BC62AD7.jpeg - 310kB

Lee - 5-1-2021 at 06:01 PM

We'll be in the area soon. I plan on stopping by for a c-cktail when we go to palm beach.

Let me give you a warning.

I've never been to Palm Beach though I've flown over it. The beach has a reputation for break-ins. Don't know anyone personally who's been broken-into, but that's the word on the street. That word shows up occasionally in the Gringo Gazette, Western Onion.

The parking area is secluded and if you are targeted it would be from someone hiding and waiting for you to walk away from your car.

On the other hand, if you have someone willing to wait with the car, you're home free.

One last bit. I'm big on car alarms and kill switches. You've lessened the chances of someone hanging around when the alarm goes off if you have one.

phmilo - 5-1-2021 at 06:16 PM

Let me give you a warning.

I've never been to Palm Beach though I've flown over it. The beach has a reputation for break-ins. Don't know anyone personally who's been broken-into, but that's the word on the street. That word shows up occasionally in the Gringo Gazette, Western Onion.

The parking area is secluded and if you are targeted it would be from someone hiding and waiting for you to walk away from your car.

On the other hand, if you have someone willing to wait with the car, you're home free.

One last bit. I'm big on car alarms and kill switches. You've lessened the chances of someone hanging around when the alarm goes off if you have one.

Yeah, and I've heard it's more prominent all over the region in the last year as people have more need and fewer options.

I've been to Palm beach several times and my normal approach is to take everything of value with me (and take very little of value to the beach in the first place), leave the car unlocked and often with the windows down far enough for someone to reach in. They are welcome to rifle through the car, the windows likely won't be broken and won't lose anything of value. If I hear that full on car theft has become a thing I may have to re-think it. I'm still doing rental cars down there, so I don't think a Kill switch would be a solution.

mtgoat666 - 5-2-2021 at 05:14 AM

I've never been to Palm Beach though I've flown over it.

:lol:

Thank you for the advice on palm beach!

pacificobob - 5-2-2021 at 07:59 AM

when i go there i remove all steal-able stuff, and leave the car unlocked with windows open....never had a problem

pauldavidmena - 5-2-2021 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
It seems like a few of yous are jealous — you can’t afford a $550 room (let alone a $75 room), so you sit back and grumble and make stupid snide comments about what otherwise looks like a nice hotel

What about this nice hotel makes it your target while other nice hotels in baja sur are not targeted?

While $550 per night is pretty steep, when you only take one week-long vacation per year like I do, you can justify the price tag. My wife and I tend to rent beach homes with well-equipped kitchens and cook most of our own meals using local ingredients. That, road trips and walks along the beach are the sort of "experiences" we seek.

The hotel is nice if you like brutalist architecture, which I tend to find a little austere for my tastes. Otherwise I think the patrons are paying for the "it factor", much as they did for Hotel San Cristobal a few years back, and Hacienda Cerritos before that. There's nothing wrong with Paradero if you must have the flavor of the week.

Lee - 5-2-2021 at 09:42 AM

Otherwise I think the patrons are paying for the "it factor", much as they did for Hotel San Cristobal a few years back, and Hacienda Cerritos before that. There's nothing wrong with Paradero if you must have the flavor of the week.

Haven't stayed at Paradero or San Cristobal, and haven't been to Palm Beach, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express, recently. It wasn't in Baja, though.

Lee - 5-2-2021 at 09:54 AM

I've been to Palm beach several times and my normal approach is to take everything of value with me (and take very little of value to the beach in the first place), leave the car unlocked and often with the windows down far enough for someone to reach in.

when i go there i remove all steal-able stuff, and leave the car unlocked with windows open....never had a problem

I've heard this before haven' known anyone doing it.

Gutsy moves. I like it.

pacificobob - 5-2-2021 at 12:38 PM

same with ragtop cars....never lock them unless there is no concern for the convertible top being cut to gain entry

phmilo - 5-13-2021 at 07:46 PM

We went by today and there was a lot of equipment and excavation going on at the hillside beyond the resort, they were getting a good bit of the dust from it. I'm guessing it is sand and fill for the Hyatt going in at Rancho Pescadero. They have two cranes up at Ranch Pescadero, sevearal new structures rising and a mob of crew out there. Lots of stuff happening in the huerta, wonder where all the water is going to come from? And where all the sewage is going to go. It was hot and we were pressed for time, so we didn't stop for a drink this time. Maybe next time.... or maybe not.

AKgringo - 5-13-2021 at 07:59 PM

same with ragtop cars....never lock them unless there is no concern for the convertible top being cut to gain entry

I never saw much of an advantage locking my Kia Sportage soft top, when someone can just unzip the side panel, reach in and unlock the door!

tiotomasbcs - 5-14-2021 at 11:07 AM

You guys crack me up! btw Rancho has purchased 2 wells for water and has connected with Ejido water. Locals just waiting for a big Storm to wash away some of their Beachfront Units and Restaurants. yes, many knew this time would come. I'm still trying my best not to be peeed Off!? Pacifico or G & T?

Lee - 5-14-2021 at 11:47 AM

We went by today and there was a lot of equipment and excavation going on at the hillside beyond the resort, they were getting a good bit of the dust from it. I'm guessing it is sand and fill for the Hyatt going in at Rancho Pescadero.

If you're getting your info here about Hyatt, it's bogus. Stop repeating a rumor. Happy to discuss who the owner is and why she doesn't need help with the Rancho. I could be wrong.

If you know something that hasn't been written here, please share it?

Lee - 5-14-2021 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
You guys crack me up! btw Rancho has purchased 2 wells for water and has connected with Ejido water. Locals just waiting for a big Storm to wash away some of their Beachfront Units and Restaurants. yes, many knew this time would come. I'm still trying my best not to be peeed Off!? Pacifico or G & T?

As long as you know, Tom, everything about the Rancho is tongue in cheek. Waiting for the development to start at Cyril's old place.

The beach in front of the development is a non-swimmable beach. Personally, I think it's fine if you're a strong swimmer and know how to get out of a rip current or undertow.

Sitting on the beach one day, I heard screaming. Couple from the Rancho, she on her back being dragged into the water, husband holding her hand trying to save her. Hawaiian waves.

RFClark - 5-14-2021 at 01:47 PM

Here’s the latest Rancho photo! The old restaurant is a big pile of sand now! The cement trucks roll in and out all day!

5ACDB525-413E-40C0-9FFE-0C6B830FA428.jpeg - 101kB

mtgoat666 - 5-14-2021 at 07:59 PM

Here’s the latest Rancho photo! The old restaurant is a big pile of sand now! The cement trucks roll in and out all day!

All that land in rural baja and they want to stick the customers in shoe boxes in a high rise?

RFClark - 5-14-2021 at 08:19 PM

Goat,

The beach there is for the Turtles. The turtle sanctuary is right next door! They also rase really great vegetables there. I’d rather have vegetables and turtles than acres of tourists! Keep them in a shoe box!

phmilo - 5-14-2021 at 08:44 PM

If you're getting your info here about Hyatt, it's bogus. Stop repeating a rumor. Happy to discuss who the owner is and why she doesn't need help with the Rancho. I could be wrong.

If you know something that hasn't been written here, please share it?

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2021/03/07...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hyatt-announces-global-expans...

and a bit of nuanced semantics from their facebook page:We interviewed many companies and are thrilled to be part of the Hyatt Unbound Collection – a selection of independent, innovative and service driven hotels that have stories of their own. Of course, we were unyielding in ensuring delivery of all that makes Rancho, Rancho. We are not owned by Hyatt - they are our operational partners – and we are excited about the commitment and expertise they are bring to the table.

Sure sounds like a Hyatt is involved, I guess we can argue to what degree, but it's going to be a pretty big footprint in that little community.

RFClark - 5-14-2021 at 09:02 PM

Hyatt has the booking clout. It’s my impression Rancho struggled to book guests!
 Pages:  1