BajaNomad

starlink now taking orders

willardguy - 2-9-2021 at 03:33 PM

worth a try!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/spacex-starts-accepting-orders-st...

mtgoat666 - 2-9-2021 at 03:58 PM

I looked into pre-ordering, but found that the vendor does not allow you use service at different locations. I wanted to use in WA and MEX. At this time you can only select one location for your account, and according to info on their website they don't allow you to change location linked to your account.
The issue is that your account/transmitter/receiver is location-based, and linked to just the satellites that service that location.

Service is meant for homebodies, not nomads :?:

willardguy - 2-9-2021 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I looked into pre-ordering, but found that the vendor does not allow you use service at different locations. I wanted to use in WA and MEX. At this time you can only select one location for your account, and according to info on their website they don't allow you to change location linked to your account.
The issue is that your account/transmitter/receiver is location-based, and linked to just the satellites that service that location.

Elon claims it'll work barreling down the highway at 60 assuming you keep the antenna pointed! don't know how you do that?

from starlink.....Mobility options - including moving your Starlink to different service addresses (or places that don't even have addresses!) - is coming once we are able to increase our coverage by launching more satellites & rolling out new hardware and software.

so I guess it'll be coming down the road

[Edited on 2-9-2021 by willardguy]

mtgoat666 - 2-9-2021 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Elon claims it'll work barreling down the highway at 60 assuming you keep the antenna pointed! don't know how you do that?

from starlink.....Mobility options - including moving your Starlink to different service addresses (or places that don't even have addresses!) - is coming once we are able to increase our coverage by launching more satellites & rolling out new hardware and software.

i just read about what they are offering in their beta rollout...
service is limited to the geographic "cell" of location you sign up for. unit cannot be removed from that "cell."

Rossman - 2-9-2021 at 04:52 PM

Done! After a string of 2190 great days here in Baja, the day I say goodbye to my current provider just might be the greatest.

John Harper - 2-9-2021 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

i just read about what they are offering in their beta rollout...
service is limited to the geographic "cell" of location you sign up for. unit cannot be removed from that "cell."

You seem rather impatient (and oddly critical) about a technology that is just now being "deployed." Have patience, little one. Do you want to eat the marshmallow now, or a better reward later?

John

PaulW - 2-9-2021 at 06:07 PM

way expensive
Starlink @ $99/mo for 50Mb/s
My wireless @ $70/mo for 10Mb/s
Telcel and Telnor wireless @ $20/mo for 9-10Mb/s
Remind me to switch to Telcel or Telnor when my renewal runs out.

msteve1014 - 2-9-2021 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
way expensive
you are in the san felipe area?

willardguy - 2-9-2021 at 07:32 PM

originally Elon's plan was to use the Starlink proceeds to fund the Mars program, wonder if thats still the plan?

mtgoat666 - 2-9-2021 at 08:06 PM

way expensive

It is expensive. But worth it if you are off grid and out of range of cell towers or wifi.

PaulW - 2-9-2021 at 09:04 PM

In/near San Felipe
We have 4 providers now that I know of. One I did not mention provides wireless service from Mexicali. I do not know the source but I suspect Telnor. It is priced priced above my $70/mo
Actually Telnor wireless is using Telcel with slightly different pricing

2lazy2 - 2-9-2021 at 09:08 PM

Put down deposit... Worth it to get rid of Spectrum

PaulW - 2-10-2021 at 09:51 AM

way expensive

It is expensive. But worth it if you are off grid and out of range of cell towers or wifi.

=== =
Totally agree. Internet connection is required.
I guess all the other sat options are frowned upon or cost more?

Don Pisto - 2-10-2021 at 09:58 AM

way expensive

=== =
Totally agree. Internet connection is required.
I guess all the other sat options are frowned upon or cost more?

"Starlink satellites are over 60 times closer to Earth than traditional satellites, resulting in lower latency and the ability to support services typically not possible with traditional satellite internet," when fully up and running this will be a game changer:D

PaulW - 2-10-2021 at 10:29 AM

Anybody have latency comparison for the various Sat Internet outfits?
Pretty sure Starlink will have the lowest.

caj13 - 2-10-2021 at 12:08 PM

I have "signed up" for it, as my 2 choices in the mountains of california defy the laws of Physics - They suck and blow at the same time!
switched from fiber optic local company because it was too unstable, having to be reset several times a week, stupid me believed Hughes Net marketing BullChit - in reality expensive - very slow garbage - much slower than dial up even!

as soon as starlink becomes available in my area I will be switching.

I think there are some UTube videos comparing latency rates and delivery speed rates etc, by some of the beta testers

[Edited on 2-10-2021 by caj13]

pacificobob - 2-10-2021 at 12:28 PM

what sort of data speed can one expect from satellite ISP.

white whale - 2-10-2021 at 02:42 PM

I thought the service rollout was only for the northern CAN/USA latt's right now. Not cheap. But I have seen a video report that the geo "fencing" to your address is just marketing hype. A fellow in my area in the 50's latitude took the dish way into the back country from his urban address and got decent service off a logging road.

The rollout here is being called Better than Nothing beta.

tecatero - 2-12-2021 at 07:34 AM

I see the $99 deposit. Anyone know the Package ,monthly cost , and is it unlimited GBs
?

PaulW - 2-12-2021 at 07:55 AM

A little digging found:
How much will Starlink internet cost? $99 a month, plus $499 for the antenna and router for a 40 ghz array
Musk claims frequencies are
Downlink 37.5-42.5
Uplink 47.2-50.2 or 50.4-52.4 GHz
An Amazing Phase array antenna that sets a new standard for such.

(Details from a guy who designs and is employed making these kind of antennas).

AKgringo - 2-12-2021 at 08:18 AM

I suppose that the system is worth the price of admission if some one needs to be connected all the time. I don't, and in pre-covid days, I always looked forward to finding a restaurant or coffee shop with a WIFI connection once in a while to catch up on contacts.

I have spent quite a bit of time in remote locations searching the AM radio band for broadcasts from distant stations. It can be frustrating as the station you are listening to fades out, but there is always another one that gets stronger as the atmospheric conditions change.

white whale - 2-12-2021 at 10:32 AM

I'm also an AM hound, I'd be curious what signals drift down from the US.

C205Driver - 2-13-2021 at 06:58 AM

...... Was camping at KOFA and went outside about 4AM to relieve the drought a bush was experiencing ; looked up and saw the Starlink Express.... It looked like a lit up train in the sky! As hundreds of satellites were passing by.... No wonder astronomers are unhappy....

pacificobob - 2-13-2021 at 07:49 AM

the AM references reminded me of being on the Caribbean coast of central America in the 70s. the number of stations was remarkable. fun to learn which country was the source. not to mention some bizarre programing.

mtgoat666 - 2-13-2021 at 08:38 AM

Your kids will never know a sky free of light pollution. Glad I saw the night sky before capitalists destroyed it!

The Night Sky Will Never Be the Same
Elon Musk’s plan for worldwide internet has sent bright artificial, lights streaking through the dark.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/02/spacex-s...

[Edited on 2-13-2021 by mtgoat666]

gnukid - 2-13-2021 at 12:02 PM

Camping out at Ensenada Muertos after about midnight you can get hundreds of radio stations from all over, but practically zero in the day time. Spooky

LancairDriver - 2-13-2021 at 01:21 PM

Here’s a good explanation of the star link system directed towards RV’s but very good for stationary systems understanding on terms of complexity and cost.

https://rvlifestyle.com/starlink-internet-for-rvers/

David K - 2-13-2021 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Camping out at Ensenada Muertos after about midnight you can get hundreds of radio stations from all over, but practically zero in the day time. Spooky

Not spooky, it's just 'skip'!

white whale - 2-13-2021 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by C205Driver  
...... Was camping at KOFA and went outside about 4AM to relieve the drought a bush was experiencing ; looked up and saw the Starlink Express.... It looked like a lit up train in the sky! As hundreds of satellites were passing by.... No wonder astronomers are unhappy....

Bush drought:lol: I am going to steal that on day

Yes AM long distance only comes out at night, totally normal. Todays <20's will have no idea what AM is. Does Baja have any AM channels?

Newer starlink SAT's are getting some black paint on them - from what i read

[Edited on 2-13-2021 by white whale]

LancairDriver - 2-13-2021 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by C205Driver  

Jeff Bezos of Amazon is also unhappy and is petitioning to restrict Elon Musk and Space X from cluttering up space he considers to be his, although Musk is far ahead of him in Space Technology. Bezos hasn’t got off the ground yet, much less launched satellites. Let the multi billionaires sort it out.

Don Pisto - 2-13-2021 at 03:07 PM

gonna get busy up there!

Earth’s low orbit is about to become a very busy place—and not just on account of SpaceX. Similar constellations are being developed by OneWeb, Space Norway, and Telesat for the U.S. market, which suggests this is about to become a highly competitive space. In space.

LancairDriver - 2-13-2021 at 03:52 PM

Very few are aware of how vulnerable all of these assets in space are. Any one of the rogue nations such as N Korea, Iran, et al. that now have the ability to get into space can do a very simple launch into low orbit and detonate a high powered explosive, nuke or conventional, full of shrapnel that can destroy or keep anything from entering or leaving earth through the low orbit belt. It’s just a question of who has the least to loose. What a game changer and change of life for the world. Not a popular discussion, but the powers that be have little influence besides warning “ Better Not, serious consequences will result”. I have heard this possibility discussed as much of my working career was spent in many of the aerospace company’s.

Alm - 2-13-2021 at 04:31 PM

way expensive

Satellite i-net has never been cheap. This is for people who have no wireless and no cable. After they will have built enough customer base they will probably jack the price up, like others. And then, there is equipment lease - I think it's already more expensive than from other providers.

Alm - 2-13-2021 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  

Depends where you are. On a regular telescopic antenna of portable radio - not much, as you go farther South. You can get these LA stations: KFI AM 640 and KNX AM 1070 - news, weather. Some preachers - those have lots of money, powerful transmitters.

[Edited on 2-13-2021 by Alm]

caj13 - 2-15-2021 at 06:28 PM

heres a good explanation of starlink, speeds, history comparison etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXPnvt0XaRI

and if you really want to know how bad hughesnet sucks - heres my current speed from them
0.78 Mbps download

0.28 Mbps upload

Latency: 50 ms
Server: Chicago

[Edited on 2-16-2021 by caj13]

mtgoat666 - 2-15-2021 at 07:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Depends where you are. On a regular telescopic antenna of portable radio - not much, as you go farther South. You can get these LA stations: KFI AM 640 and KNX AM 1070 - news, weather. Some preachers - those have lots of money, powerful transmitters.

At night you can pick up AM radio stations many hundreds of miles away because of radio waves bouncing off the ionosphere.
In the USA many AM radio stations reduce their power at night because of this sky wave effect, and many broadcast directionally after dark,... if everyone broadcast omnidirectional at full power after sunset, the radio dial would be chaos.

That’s why AM radio is interesting to listen to at night, being able to listen to obscure stations far off.
During day there is no sky wave effect, and all you hear is local stuff.

RFClark - 2-15-2021 at 08:27 PM

We paid our deposit for Starlink a couple of days ago. It’s the same price as the point to point we’re currently using and a lot faster. Ultimately it will work here in Mexico allowing VOIP phone and internet.

As for DXing AM Radio, I built my first Xtal receiver in the mid ‘50s when there were still weekly radio shows! In the ‘70s Wolfman Jack aired from the radio station in Rosetta Beach. At night you could hear his show north of Whitehorse in Canada! That requires multiple reflections off the Heaviside layer (Google it!)

msteve1014 - 2-15-2021 at 10:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

In La Bocana I also get a few from the bay area. Sports news and traffic info. that fades away as the sun comes up.

msteve1014 - 2-15-2021 at 10:05 PM

Baseball games on radio are the best, every game sounds exciting.

or boxing.

[Edited on 2-16-2021 by msteve1014]

Alm - 2-16-2021 at 07:03 PM

Yes, AM waves reflect off the upper layers of atmosphere in the night.

What puzzled me was many FM stations from the mainland when camping on the coast about 60 miles South of BOLA. These frequencies don't reflect from atmosphere and normally can't be received farther than 20-30 miles. They do reflect off water, but I was surprised to hear it so loud and clear. While in the actual BOLA you could barely get 1 or 2 FM stations with poor signal quality.

RFClark - 2-16-2021 at 07:36 PM

You get different reflections for higher frequencies. Temperature differences similar to those that cause mirages which reflect light also reflect higher frequency radio waves. It works best across flat reflective surfaces like water!

willardguy - 2-16-2021 at 07:45 PM

san quintin valley out to san martin island santa barbara KTYD lima charlie!

white whale - 2-17-2021 at 10:26 AM

The mighty wiki, of course , answered my question about baja radio.
Seems to be plenty AM + FM but all near the border. None listed or found at the Cabo end which is odd I thought.

Yes what a great way to end a day @ sundown. Cheap beach chair, cold beer, clear sky decent radio with good antenna scrolling the dial trying to catch a signal from the US.

Hopefully satellites won't kill radio radio transmitters for a few more decades.

RFClark - 2-17-2021 at 11:55 AM

I’m more of a Margarita sort of guy but definitely!

6AC31701-2E5E-41F7-AE5F-0877B4682D74.jpeg - 121kB

AKgringo - 2-19-2021 at 01:09 PM

Last year, I was headed north in mid-March and decided to camp out at Las Animas (south of B.O.L.A) for a night. I was hoping to catch some AM weather reports to decide whether to stay east of the Sierra Nevada range, or head up I-5 to Northern CA.

I was pleasantly surprised to find KFBK in Sacramento with weather and road reports over I-80 Donner Summit, which was a home run for me! What was even more surprising, was getting the signal the next day from around Gonzaga Bay, almost to Mexicali!