BajaNomad

Just Bought a Bus - Baja Camper here we come!

caj13 - 4-23-2021 at 10:29 AM

was screwing around wasting time at home, when I came across a 2009 International CE "school" bus up for auction on the GSA website. I've always been interested in using on as a platform for a conversion - and this was cheap - looked to be in very good shape, and had only 38000 miles on it. It was used in Washington DC to haul around government employees as far as I can tell.

Not full length, but longer than a short bus - and crucially it has the "wheel chair lift" which will become the motorcycle lift, cabinet lift, and anything else to heavy or bulky to fit through the emergency door lift!

So now - i have to get it home - that's the first adventure. I have to pick it up in Baltimore. I'll drive it home in 3 stages - Baltimore to Detroit - where i have great mechanic help and family to visit. Then Detroit to Utah - and finally Utah to California.

Then Ill put in a kitchen, an outdoor shower, generator, beds and cabinets etc.

still have to figure out the best place to register it, the conversion itself, and it being a commercial vehicle right now - that's the issue. Maybe Vermont or South Dakota will be the best options to make sure its legal and I can drive it W/O a commercial license!

I'l pull a trailer with a jeep or my side by side on it , or a boat etc.

I'm looking forward to the conversion, I am not looking forward to the registration / insurance licensing cluster f&%^* " that I have to go through!

Bajabus - 4-23-2021 at 10:36 AM

Congratulations!
Our 32 ft international 1700 school bus was registered in NY as a camper without any issues. Drove it around for many years like that and no officer of the law ever hassled me for not having a commercial DL at any of the very numerous traffic stops we had.

shari - 4-23-2021 at 10:45 AM

woohoo....so cool! I have had dreams of getting a short bus for taking our whale watchers out to our whale camp and using it for camping off season. Hope we get to see your dream bus sometime!

JZ - 4-23-2021 at 10:48 AM

That is pretty cool.

Bajabus - 4-23-2021 at 10:58 AM

Does it have a 2 speed rear-end? Ours did and we found it very helpful. The best thing we had on there were 2 high-lift jacks. Came in very handy many times.

If it does not already have one, put in a high amperage alternator and get 1-2 battery switch so you can charge house batteries while you drive and isolate the starting battery when not driving.

And of course a solar system.

msteve1014 - 4-23-2021 at 11:24 AM

What engine/ trans. ? Could be a great start.

advrider - 4-23-2021 at 02:02 PM

Some guys on ADV rider have the same set up in Canada, they drive it down full of bikes every year to Baja. Some searching and you might find their ride reports?

RocketJSquirrel - 4-23-2021 at 02:28 PM

Photos, please! Would enjoy watching the project progress.

Whale-ista - 4-23-2021 at 03:39 PM

Felicidades!
Sounds like a great project.

For those curious about the bus- does it look like this one?
I bought it several years ago- it was a diesel, lots more miles, 20 seats, wheelchair lift that worked great for moving appliances, loading supplies etc.

I started with similar dreams- but life took a different turn. The camper conversion plans didn't work out, but the bus ultimately went on to help people in need other ways.

I look forward to seeing your project develop!

vandy - 4-24-2021 at 12:00 AM

There's one for sale right now just listed on Craigslist Phoenix.
2012 International CE, 140k diesel for $6000.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/d/phoenix-2012-intern...

Have fun!

[Edited on 4-24-2021 by vandy]

motoged - 4-24-2021 at 01:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Some guys on ADV rider have the same set up in Canada, they drive it down full of bikes every year to Baja. Some searching and you might find their ride reports?

That would be my gang:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/she-slapped-me-with-little-provocation.666961/

pacificobob - 4-24-2021 at 06:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

That would be my gang:

i keep telling myself im done with BMWs....but that boxer in the first photo...nice!

AKgringo - 4-24-2021 at 06:21 AM

Sounds like a great project with a worthwhile goal!

Although I have more time in retirement to take on a project like that, my "get it done" drive is fading, and I think I would have one more unfinished project competing for my attention.

Good luck on the adventure!

David K - 4-24-2021 at 07:57 AM

The Bajabus bus (and Mrs. Bajabus):

mtgoat666 - 4-24-2021 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
was screwing around wasting time at home, when I came across a 2009 International CE "school" bus up for auction on the GSA website. I've always been interested in using on as a platform for a conversion - and this was cheap - looked to be in very good shape, and had only 38000 miles on it. It was used in Washington DC to haul around government employees as far as I can tell.

Not full length, but longer than a short bus - and crucially it has the "wheel chair lift" which will become the motorcycle lift, cabinet lift, and anything else to heavy or bulky to fit through the emergency door lift!

So now - i have to get it home - that's the first adventure. I have to pick it up in Baltimore. I'll drive it home in 3 stages - Baltimore to Detroit - where i have great mechanic help and family to visit. Then Detroit to Utah - and finally Utah to California.

Then Ill put in a kitchen, an outdoor shower, generator, beds and cabinets etc.

still have to figure out the best place to register it, the conversion itself, and it being a commercial vehicle right now - that's the issue. Maybe Vermont or South Dakota will be the best options to make sure its legal and I can drive it W/O a commercial license!

I'l pull a trailer with a jeep or my side by side on it , or a boat etc.

I'm looking forward to the conversion, I am not looking forward to the registration / insurance licensing cluster f&%^* " that I have to go through!

Buying the vehicle from govt is easy part.
Getting it off the lot is hard part, does it run?
Getting the SF97 in timely manner is harder than picking up the vehicle. Took me 4 months to get an sf97 in mail after buying govt vehicle.
I would hire a pro to outfit the bus with kitchen, beds, etc. too much work to put in all that equip, and then wind up having it be all squeaky and rattley.

motoged - 4-24-2021 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

That would be my gang:

i keep telling myself im done with BMWs....but that boxer in the first photo...nice!

PB,
That beemer is a 1981 GS with a ton of upgrades....sold it to get the 690 KTM....

I am presently replacing fuel pump systems on the 690 and GS 1100..... I sure miss gravity fed carbs.

My favourite bike ever was a 1982 R100 RS.... THE best design ....like this one:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-bmw-r100-rs-3/

motoged - 4-24-2021 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I am presently replacing fuel pump systems on the 690 and GS 1100.....

Because of problems, or just upgrading?

Problems.:
...690 has 38,000km on upgraded pump and filter....and it kacked while doing the Kettle Valley Railway last August....pushed it for 1.5 hours and was able to start it with constant throttle blipping and limped 80 kms back to camp.....maybe bad fuel or plugged filter

.... gs 1100 sat for three years (690 fever)....pump didn't work.....maybe varnished shut??? It has about 90,000 km on that pump so time for replacement.

Getting into pumped tanks is like brain surgery.....float indicators go screwy, small o-rings get gulped, and/or something gets bent or whatever.....

But, that's the pleasure of such toys.....

At least the 450 is good.....will see later today

Covid and weather is allowing me to attend to such matters with less of a sense of urgency....:coolup:

motoged - 4-24-2021 at 12:55 PM

Pumps could be externalized, but common knowledge has it that the pump is cooled in the tank by the gas....and would otherwise overheat.

I had externalized the gs100 filter years ago for easy change....not so easy to do with 690 system.

Fuel pump failures have been common known issues w/ injected KTM's (different theories about "the black stuff in tank" ) .....not sure about other brands

[Edited on 4-24-2021 by motoged]

bajatrailrider - 4-24-2021 at 06:32 PM

For this reason I prefer to only ride dirt bikes . With carb we spent 3 days dealing . With a ktm fuel pump on trail .

motoged - 4-24-2021 at 07:04 PM

Yep, higher tech = higher problem risk. My '04 450 EXC is my Baja bike....

caj13 - 4-25-2021 at 09:45 AM

T answer a couple of questions.
International Bus - built in 2009 IC series CE. I do not know the exact length, looks like maybe 30-35 feet - a 28 passenger bus

It is the traditional school bus body - engine out front - but it was used for government transporting of employees - it only has 38,000 miles on it

engine is the navistar 7.6 essentially a DT466
Trans is an allison - but i don't know the model - 2100? 2200? maybe?

Plan is to use it routinely, but build in stages. step one, beds and storage.
step 2 is solar / generator electrical system for bus. I'll run solar, but also have a Honda generator incorporated into the system, for big loads or backup

step 3 will be either bathroom or kitchen, havent figured out which one i would want more.

step 4 would be the other

RFClark - 4-25-2021 at 12:25 PM

You should register and insure it in South Dakota. Go through Good Sam for insurance they cover RVs for theft and towing in Mexico too. Save lots of $$$! No CA emissions or old diesel problems either!

motoged - 4-25-2021 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

......Plan is to use it routinely...... for big loads or backup

step 3 will be either bathroom or kitchen, havent figured out which one i would want more. ....

Maybe bathroom first.....for the big loads and backup :light: :biggrin:

Two thoughts about step three

AKgringo - 4-25-2021 at 05:35 PM

How often in Baja have felt like you really, really needed a kitchen ....right now!

Cooking also equals preparation, and clean up. Hopefully not so much with the bathroom!

John Harper - 4-25-2021 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
How often in Baja have felt like you really, really needed a kitchen ....right now!

Cooking also equals preparation, and clean up. Hopefully not so much with the bathroom!

Yes, and who wants to barbecue inside a camper!

Plus, no need for onboard LP gas tanks and associated plumbing.

John

del mar - 4-26-2021 at 11:59 AM

first you gotta give her some ground clearance:yes:

Bajabus - 4-26-2021 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
first you gotta give her some ground clearance:yes:

OMG I am drooling. I wonder what that cost?

caj13 - 5-24-2021 at 08:56 AM

finally got it home, no big issues, but the last 100 miles the entry door was flapping like dumbos ears as i went down the highway. doesn't seem to be an air leak in the mechanism, so it must be the switch.

Hopefully a couple of photos:

[Edited on 5-24-2021 by caj13]

lift bike photo.jpg - 121kBRt frt quarter shot.jpg - 90kBleft rear quarter.jpg - 76kB

Don Pisto - 5-24-2021 at 10:48 AM

now that is very cool! last time on a bus like that it had bars and I was chained in!:lol: can't wait to see the progress!

BajaBlanca - 5-24-2021 at 03:30 PM

Congratulations! It is a beaut!! The start of many a campfire yarn, for sure.

Mr. Bills - 5-24-2021 at 04:29 PM

Didn't I see that bus in a Nicolas Cage movie?

John Harper - 5-24-2021 at 05:18 PM

That bus is awesome! I love that blue color. Lots of potential.

John

mtgoat666 - 5-24-2021 at 05:23 PM

What kind gas mileage does it get? 5 mpg?

caj13 - 5-24-2021 at 06:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
What kind gas mileage does it get? 5 mpg?

Between 8.5 - 9.6 MPG on the 3200 mile trip home. a bit hard to track, because the tank is 65 gallons, but all of the regular gas stations had a 100 buck limit on the cards, so i was constantly switching between cards and adding fuel.
I could of just went the easy route and used truck stops, but it turns out they were charging 30 - 50 cents per gallon MORE than the regular stations. No way i'm paying that kind of premium for the convenience!

bajatrailrider - 5-26-2021 at 01:44 PM

Yes on fake idea fuel pump in tank needs fuel to cool it . Those are the only ones that go bad the old cars outside tank pumps. Last way longer if you remember the 501 Husaberg . Mine had external fuel pump for carb . The fuel pump was the only thing that did not break. That worthless motorcycle was something else .

advrider - 5-26-2021 at 06:38 PM

Sweet set up, love the color and lift as well. I think a very simple small kitchen inside for days the weather is bad would be quick and easy. I agree that most cooking would be done outside, might even look at a slide out stove and sink outside.
Look at expedition portal, tons of ideas and info. keep us posted for sure.