BajaNomad

Touring Baja by Motorbike

JDCanuck - 8-7-2021 at 07:36 AM

Started this thread with the idea of getting more accessible interesting day trips or multi day trips for larger touring bikes. Minimal off pavement access would be great. Pics if you have them please.

JDCanuck - 8-7-2021 at 07:45 AM

If anyone has done the loop from La Paz through El Triunfo to Cabo, and back via Todos Santos with lots of pics I think a lot of people would find that one interesting. Comments on hazards and biker friendly spots to stay along the way too maybe? We have Riders Retreats very common up here where bikers can ride in with minimal gear and rent tents set up and stocked for over nites, anything similar down there?

[Edited on 8-7-2021 by JDCanuck]

KISS

motoged - 8-7-2021 at 08:36 AM

This will be an interesting thread....until it goes off topic ... :lol:

My contribution is simple:

Get a map and look at it,
A GPS might be helpful but not at all necessary.
Use your imagination and sense of adventure...and explore.
Ride YOUR ride....not a copycat trip someone else did.

On/off-road riding is your choice of range and equipment.

It's that simple.:light:

David K - 8-7-2021 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
If anyone has done the loop from La Paz through El Triunfo to Cabo, and back via Todos Santos with lots of pics I think a lot of people would find that one interesting. Comments on hazards and biker friendly spots to stay along the way too maybe? We have Riders Retreats very common up here where bikers can ride in with minimal gear and rent tents set up and stocked for over nites, anything similar down there?

[Edited on 8-7-2021 by JDCanuck]

We did the loop, as well as day trips from La Paz in 2012 and I did it again in 2017. Took many photos, posted on the Trip reports section both times. El Triunfo is maybe the most-interesting of the many sites?

JDCanuck - 8-7-2021 at 09:28 AM

Thanks David: Located that section and a whole lot of trip reports from you. Will definitely look through them.

David K - 8-7-2021 at 09:49 AM

Great... Here are the Nomad links for others:
2017: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87323
2012: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=61576 (see Days 6 and 8)

Free of the Photobucket watermark, I made a web page of the 2012 trip: http://vivabaja.com/712/

The 2017 trip report, but posted on Tacoma World where the photos are in their original form (sized and no watermark): https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2017-baja-expedition-6-s...

[Edited on 8-7-2021 by David K]

JZ - 8-7-2021 at 06:19 PM

Agua Verde is a great day trip from Loreto. Hard packed, well graded dirt road. An incredible canyon ride. Beautiful bay with a little restaurant/store.

[Edited on 8-8-2021 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 8-7-2021 at 06:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Most people today dont know how to navigate with paper map. They need gadget to tell them where they are, where to go. Most people want to follow a recommended trip/route, are uncomfortable with winging it or exploring.

JDCanuck - 8-7-2021 at 06:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Most people today dont know how to navigate with paper map. They need gadget to tell them where they are, where to go. Most people want to follow a recommended trip/route, are uncomfortable with winging it or exploring.

I had a hard time finding any paper maps when I was down there last. Finally found one that covered the entire peninsula and it's now pinned to my wall. Thanks JZ for that last one from Loreto. I have been told it is also a very beautiful city ranking with La Paz for #'s 1 and 2. I've only seen La Paz til now, so will certainly try to spend some time near there. Got my first suggested trip map saved in new folder, please keep more like that coming. Looks very suitable for the larger touring bikes the thread is meant for.

[Edited on 8-8-2021 by JDCanuck]

JDCanuck - 8-7-2021 at 07:23 PM

Any places similar to this local one down there? Inexpensive, ride in and get set up quick with a bit of gathering around the fire to swap experiences?
http://ridersretreat.ca/

motoged - 8-7-2021 at 07:53 PM

I had a hard time finding any paper maps when I was down there last.

If you have internet access you have Google Earth for a map....map plus satellite ...

It gives you a sense of terrain and has any road you would want for a big bike.:light:

JDCanuck - 8-7-2021 at 08:06 PM

I had a hard time finding any paper maps when I was down there last.

If you have internet access you have Google Earth for a map....map plus satellite ...

It gives you a sense of terrain and has any road you would want for a big bike.:light:

I don't mind taking advice from those who know the areas far better than me. This seemed like the quickest way to put together a few suggestions for riders who like me want to see the area on short trips and aren't into the off road thrills. We'll see how it pans out. Have shared with a few like minded friends from up here planning to go down there in the future.

JZ - 8-7-2021 at 08:18 PM

What bike(s) are you referring to specifically?

JZ - 8-7-2021 at 08:21 PM

Google Maps has all the paved roads mapped. That should be your go to for the pavement.

They let you download map areas for use when you don't have cell service.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en&co=...

JZ - 8-7-2021 at 08:29 PM

You don't want to use Google Earth when out riding in Baja. It's great for trip prep, but so much of Baja doesn't have cell service that it makes Google Earth worthless.

That being said the phone based offroad GPS apps have pretty much everything that Google Earth has.

Gaia and Back Country Navigator (my favorite) are the best. You can use topo maps or satellite imagery as your overlay. You can download areas to your phone and have access even when you don't have service. I spent the time and downloaded all of Baja with high res satellite imagery. It's like Google Earth, but you can see yourself driving on the map.

JDCanuck - 8-7-2021 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
What bike(s) are you referring to specifically?

Group i hang out with has everything from CBR125 (presently doing the most international touring) up to the larger BMW Adventure bikes, Harleys and everything in between. Pretty much all of them are more capable riders than myself and I prefer my BMW K75. Pretty wide grouping to plan for. Some would stick to pavement, and some would prefer off roading. Saw lots of threads here dealing with off road trips, but couldn't find any for touring in general.

LPH_2147 (2).jpeg - 320kBLPH_2156-1 (2).jpeg - 222kB

JZ - 8-7-2021 at 08:42 PM

Group i hang out with has everything from CBR125 (presently doing the most international touring) up to the larger BMW Adventure bikes, Harleys and everything in between. Pretty much all of them are more capable riders than myself and I prefer my BMW K75. Pretty wide grouping to plan for. Some would stick to pavement, and some would prefer off roading. Saw lots of threads here dealing with off road trips, but couldn't find any for touring in general.

Gotcha. I don't ride on the road, so won't be too much help there. I will say, regarding the Loreto to Agua Verde ride, the highway part to the turn off takes you through arguably the most beautiful section of mountains in Baja.

Here is another very easy dirt road trip. You could probably even take a Harley, but maybe not the best idea.

La Paz to San Evarsito. I've done it as a day trip from La Paz a few times. It's about 2-3 hours one way (70 miles). San Evarsito is a large sized fishing village with several houses. I think they have some primitive rooms to rent there. There is a restaurant. You can also camp on the beach.

The ride itself is A+, but bay is just "okay." That said, for $100 you can get on a panga and they will take you out to some breath-taking spots at the nearby islands.

Last section before you reach the bay.

[Edited on 8-9-2021 by JZ]

JDCanuck - 8-7-2021 at 08:56 PM

Thanks JZ. Both those suggestions look great!

BeemerDan - 8-7-2021 at 11:42 PM

Thats a good looking Flyin Brick, Great bike.
I don't know if I'd take that to Baja on anything less than pavement, and well packed dirt, and I sure wouldn't air down much with those rims in rocky areas.
I don't use GPS, never had one.
For Baja I use the National Geo Baja Norte/South maps, They're waterproof and tear resistent, At home I use my Baja atlas to plan with, and transfer routes I like to the maps.
I know the used bike market is crazy right now with inventories so low, but I really think you'd be better off exploring with a more 50/50 oriented bike like an old KLR650/DR650 etc
Are you planning on trucking the bike down and returning that way, or leaving it there?

JZ - 8-8-2021 at 12:33 AM

Here is a trip to what I would argue are the most beautiful Pacific coast beaches in Baja.

The lower part of the Seven Sisters. Not far from the turn off to Bahia del Los Angeles. It's paved from MX 1 to Santa Rosalillita. Then very hard packed and well graded dirt up to Cono. You can drive a truck with a decent suspension 50mph no problem. The last couple miles from the main road to the beach is a bit more challenging.

North of there it gets harder the further you go.

There is a very small motel in Santa Rosalillita. It's a good sized town overall. No cell service or gas station. But you can definitely get gas there.

Starting at 4 mins of this video to about 6:45 you will get a glimpse of what the beaches look like.

JDCanuck - 8-8-2021 at 06:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  
Thats a good looking Flyin Brick, Great bike.
I don't know if I'd take that to Baja on anything less than pavement, and well packed dirt, and I sure wouldn't air down much with those rims in rocky areas.
I don't use GPS, never had one.
For Baja I use the National Geo Baja Norte/South maps, They're waterproof and tear resistent, At home I use my Baja atlas to plan with, and transfer routes I like to the maps.
I know the used bike market is crazy right now with inventories so low, but I really think you'd be better off exploring with a more 50/50 oriented bike like an old KLR650/DR650 etc
Are you planning on trucking the bike down and returning that way, or leaving it there?

Hi Dan: Thanks for the pointer on the maps. I will definitely take a look for them. No, I agree with you both my collector BMW's are not suited to what Id be riding through down in Baja, the R80RT has the huge fairing and the K75 also produces way too much under seat heat from the water cooling in temps above 40C. If I take any bikes down it will be the KZ440LTD heavily modified and perhaps even the BWS50 for my wife to putter around on. I am thinking I might take a look at the Italikas for shorter trips in and out of La Paz. Whatever looks to be cheapest.

JDCanuck - 8-8-2021 at 06:32 AM

Thanks again JZ: I think you managed to share 3 very applicable rides for a mixed group of tastes. Seven Sisters looks really great for those that want to offroad in the sandy ocean side. The rest of the crew could sit back in Santa Rosalillita and enjoy the local refreshments for a day or two.

JDCanuck - 8-8-2021 at 06:41 AM

Dan: The flying brick has let me see a lot of BC Canada over the past few years without breaking the bank on costs. Up here we get our insurance at about 80 percent reduction if it's collectors eligible. This one has given me about 60,000 km problem free riding in 3 years, up the Cassiar to Hyder and Watson Lake, out to the west coast along the Nass Valley, down and over the "going to the sun" ride in Montana and back out here to the Island. Very little rocky mountain trails tho.

David K - 8-8-2021 at 09:22 AM

My Baja Bound article (with road log and map):
https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/the_dist...

My Seven Sisters 2017 trip report (photos, maps, mileages):

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2017-baja-expedition-4-v...

My mileages on the Baja Almanac maps:

7 Sisters mile map-1.jpg - 131kB 7 Sisters mile amp-2.jpg - 153kB

7 Sisters map 3.jpg - 293kB

[Edited on 8-8-2021 by David K]

BeemerDan - 8-8-2021 at 09:52 AM

Dan: The flying brick has let me see a lot of BC Canada over the past few years without breaking the bank on costs. Up here we get our insurance at about 80 percent reduction if it's collectors eligible. This one has given me about 60,000 km problem free riding in 3 years, up the Cassiar to Hyder and Watson Lake, out to the west coast along the Nass Valley, down and over the "going to the sun" ride in Montana and back out here to the Island. Very little rocky mountain trails tho.

Riding BC and the Yukon are my favorite summer rides, So much to see and do and the history is amazing, Cassiar is my preferred rte both up and back. I haven't done Nass valley but its another on my bucket list along with the Bella Coola run.
On my last ride up I almost was taken out by a cow Moose between Kitwanga and Meziden junction, It came straight out of the bush from the side of the road. Stayed many a time at Sealaska inn and have done the ride up to Salmon glacier. At Watson lake I always stayed at the Air Force lodge, unique place. When heading to Dawson city I use the Robert Campbell weather permiting to avoid Whitehorse, and usually stop at Ross river or Carmacks for the night.
So much to see and do up there!

motoged - 8-8-2021 at 01:21 PM

BC (Canada) has a lot to offer riders who want to stay on paved roads, even more for those interested in enjoying forest service roads that tend to be good two-laned maintained gravel roads manageable by experienced riders on big bikes, and even more for "dual-sport" riders as well as dirt et al riders.

Baja touring on big bikes (a term generally accepted to denote bikes larger than 500 - 650 cc ) is limited to paved roads. On some of my rides with folks in Baja some riders freaked out when leaving paved hiway to access a roadside tienda or a rest stop due to the presence of sand and their inexperience with such conditions.

So.... I think developing an ability to understand the dynamics of sand, loose road surfaces, and a heavy bike present an essential learning curve. I have ridden a BMW 1100GS, 800GS, KTM 690, and KTM 450 in Baja....and if I had one bike to do it all it would be the 450, then the 690 as long as I wasn't desert cross-countrying.... and the 1100 if I wanted to miss my favourite parts of Baja (rode the 1100 from Mulege to San Juanico and back once and wouldn't do that again....but at least I have cheap-seat bragging rights to that one).

The topic seems to be: "What should I ride; where should I ride, and what should I see ?"

We all have different ways of enjoying Baja on a bike. Not everyone enjoys the risky challenge of deep sand, whoops, and cactus. Some just want to do a Starbucks run so we can bench-ride with a latte. And others like a mix of riding conditions we feel comfortable with getting to a recommended or secret location with a view and maybe a place to have a taco and libation.

No one way to ride Baja.

DK and JZ's maps are very handy, the vids encouraging and visually informative, and GPS tracks for those into that are useful to some extent.

For some, the ride is about a destination, for others the ride is about the ride.

There are a few exploratory rides I have done where I have intentionally not proceeded to the ultimate destination, just stopping short enough to keep the destination as a surprise for the next time doing that track... kind of like a "ridus interruptus"
approach to exploration.

Baja advice on places to go will be geographical in nature but will include good places to eat, have a view, and good roads.....all of which will change with time.

El Triunfo has/had ? a bakery/restaurant, for instance, that is a gem....killer fire-brick oven baking and pizza place. Several years ago I was in Todos Santos for several weeks of south cape riding on my 690 and would do that ride partially off-road a few times a week just for a good coffee and a few of the best cinnamon buns I have ever had... and winding my way though easy pavement and marginal double tracks. Some of those rides were as much fun as any other....plus there was a bun reward.

Lots of ways to enjoy Baja riding...

But there are risks.... :lol:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/she-slapped-me-with-little-provocation.666961/

[Edited on 8-8-2021 by motoged]

JZ - 8-8-2021 at 02:50 PM

You definitely want to ride into Bahia de los Angeles. It's about 38 miles from Hwy 1 to the town. Probably the smoothest road in all of Baja. A very nice drive and you'll be hard pressed to find a denser forest of cactus anywhere in the world.

There are like 16 islands in the bay and lots of pangas to take you out to see them. It is an easy 7 mile ride from town to La Gringa. Lots of spots there to stop and enjoy the ocean.

Several day trips in the area for ppl with smaller bikes that want to get them offroad. One is heading back out of town, then going North up through the dry lake bed, Agua Amaga, and connecting with a jeep trail that takes you to a big bay - Ensenada Alcatraz.

The lake bed can be ridden with any bike and is right off the highway. You can have some drag races out there. Maybe have a local with a pickup help you scrounge up an old dead tree/bushes and build a big ass bonfire for a small bike rally. The rest of the way to ocean has a lot of sand and whoops, fun ride if you have a bike that is capable.

Another day trip is heading South out of town and going about 35 miles to Bahia Las Animas. The main road is a little bumpy from small rocks, and the last section off the main road into the bay is sandy. So not for the non-adventure bikes.

David K - 8-8-2021 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
...going North up through the dry lake bed, Agua Amaga,...

What's your source on that place name? Doesn't make sense. :coolup:

It is Agua Amarga

The red line is the L.A. Bay highway (just west of the San Borja road).

My maps have the road (Km. 38) across the dry lake and on to the two coast locations (Bahía Guadalupe/ Ensenada Alcatraz and Punta Candelero):

[Edited on 8-9-2021 by David K]

JZ - 8-8-2021 at 05:38 PM

Thx. Updated my library.

David K - 8-8-2021 at 05:43 PM

Thx.

You are welcome!

JZ - 8-8-2021 at 06:01 PM

As DK's map shows, another day trip ride could be to the San Borja Mission. I've never been out to see it, so can't comment on difficulty on a bike.

JZ - 8-8-2021 at 06:04 PM

Thx.

Did you actually quote that strange spelling from some other source?

Probably just typed it in wrong. I don't use any external maps. Just what ppl post here, what's on Google Earth, or Navonics (boating app). I guess the last two are map sources.

David K - 8-8-2021 at 06:09 PM

As DK's map shows, another day trip ride could be to the San Borja Mission. I've never been out to see it, so can't comment on difficulty on a bike.

Except for a couple of rocky surface miles, it is a fast, graded road (or was)!

JZ - 8-8-2021 at 06:10 PM

Pic of La Ventana, which is in the bay. It's much bigger than it looks. You can pull right up to it and get off and walk inside it.

JDCanuck - 8-8-2021 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Except for a couple of rocky surface miles, it is a fast, graded road (or was)!

Roads like that seem pretty doable to bigger bikes to me, as long as there is no more than 2 or 3 inches of soft sand over hard surface. It's the tight downhill switchbacks with 3 inch boulders that get me worried. Most of DK's shots look reasonable for all but the Harley's and Gold Wings maybe.

JZ - 8-8-2021 at 08:43 PM

Roads like that seem pretty doable to bigger bikes to me, as long as there is no more than 2 or 3 inches of soft sand over hard surface. It's the tight downhill switchbacks with 3 inch boulders that get me worried. Most of DK's shots look reasonable for all but the Harley's and Gold Wings maybe.

All the routes I have posted are easy like that except for the ride to Bahia Alcatraz after the lake bed (a lot of sand) and the last leg of Las Animas (some sand). Animas isn't that bad though.

willardguy - 8-8-2021 at 09:08 PM

as the great Stephane Peterhansel would say run what you brung, I'll date myself, I offroaded the crap out of the big FJ12!

JZ - 8-8-2021 at 10:40 PM

Here is another really special ride in BCS.

Start out in Los Barriles and ride up the coast about 25 miles. Los Barriles is very cool town. There is a nice bar with great craft beers on tap right on the main drag.

The 25 miles section to the North is a top 3 coastal ride in Baja. It's dirt, but super easy dirt.

Many spots to pull over and get out on some of the prettiest beaches you will see in Baja.

AKgringo - 8-9-2021 at 06:46 AM

JZ, that is one of my favorite drives, and I was on it last November. The northern end crossing over the mountains was in pretty rough shape in a few spots.

I did not need four wheel drive, but I would not want to be on a heavy bike on that road. I encountered no traffic between the turn off near Los Planes and the beaches north of El Cardonal.

JZ - 8-9-2021 at 07:09 AM

Yeah, they should stop when the trail starts cutting inland off the coast. The canyon run is very rocky.

Los Barriles north along the coast photos:

David K - 8-9-2021 at 08:27 AM

Seeing the turtle nest was really cool... a couple of pics of the road smooth along the coast and rough going over the mountain at the north end. One shot is of the paved runway at Hotel Punta Pescadero. There is a paved road that parallels the dirt one part of the way. It says further inland and is longer.

JDCanuck - 8-9-2021 at 10:16 AM

Looks like another great side trip. Was that second to last pic the worst spot on the trip?

[Edited on 8-9-2021 by JDCanuck]

JZ - 8-9-2021 at 11:53 AM

Looks like another great side trip. Was that second to last pic the worst spot on the trip?

This one shows the hard part through the canyon once you leave the coast. Up to Primeras Piedras it's easy going. The sand beach shots in DK's photos are below the access road. There isn't much sand you actually have to ride through (maybe none).

JZ - 8-9-2021 at 01:44 PM

Funny thing about that-- on one trip northbound on that road, carefully picking my way along in my tricked-out K5 Blazer, a Volkswagon Delivery Van (Bimbo bread, as I recall) came roaring up behind me and impatiently tailed me till I could pull over, then took off up that canyon in a cloud of dust on his way back to La Paz, as if it were a Sunday cruise.

I never caught up with him again. :lol:

That's crazy. Based on how torn up it was the last time we did it in Jan 2020, I couldn't imagine taking a Bimbo truck through there.

My kid was driving and he managed to drag the side wall across a sharp rock and blew out the tire.

David K - 8-9-2021 at 02:42 PM

We were passengers in BajaTripper's 4 Runner that day. I took a couple photos from the back seat to show the rough area of the drive.
As JZ said, no sand driving... It is a graded roadbed. Smooth along the coast but rough going over the ridge to the San Juan de los Planes paved road back to La Paz.

motoged - 8-9-2021 at 06:57 PM

Nice pics .... but we were talking about motorcycle touring. The roads shown may or may not be the type the OP was interested in, even though they illustrate suggestions.

OP was thinking his Kawi 400 something might be best for his interests and abilities. Or an Italica rendering of a moto.

Some other technical considerations would include tire choices, sprocket sizes, chain type, fork seals, shock service, and riding equipment suitable for climate.

Then, knowing where a good moto mechanic might be found and any local sources for the above considerations.

Best idea would be to have a bike prepped in home area and a chance to ride it for a few days before taking it to Baja. I've seen too many riders standing beside their ride the first day saying, "Gee, I just spent a grand getting that bike ready for this ride...."

Know how to fix a flat and always carry that kit (including hand air pump that works) and necessary tools with you.

JZ - 8-9-2021 at 07:41 PM

Here is another view of the trail going North from Los Barriles. Towards the end it runs on a ridge above the coast. Very well graded, hard packed. No rocks or sand.

[Edited on 8-10-2021 by JZ]

JZ - 8-9-2021 at 08:06 PM

Here's a whole other section of Baja for you to explore on the Pacific coast of Baja. You can make it one big loop. Paved roads going in and out of Bahia Asuncion and Punta Abreojos. Nomads like Shari have Inns there. World famous for whale tours in the lagoon.

[Edited on 8-10-2021 by JZ]

motoged - 8-10-2021 at 09:17 AM

The road from Bahia Asuncion to Abreojos is not suitable for big bikes....folks do it and they generally don't like it...

Pavement from Vizcaino to Asuncion or Bahia Tortuga is good.

JDCanuck - 8-10-2021 at 10:14 AM

The road from Bahia Asuncion to Abreojos is not suitable for big bikes....folks do it and they generally don't like it...

Deep soft sand or switchbacks with boulders?

motoged - 8-10-2021 at 10:25 AM

Some sections with deep soft sand,,,,no switchbacks or rocks....lots of washboard.
The road between Asuncion and Abreojos follows the coastline closely and is generally flat terrain. It is a wide road and has infrequent traffic, but enough for help if stranded with a mechanical issue.

AKgringo - 8-10-2021 at 10:26 AM

Mostly flat and straight, but lots of dust, wash board with soft spots. If you catch it when freshly graded, it is not too bad, but not that scenic either.

David K - 8-10-2021 at 11:54 AM

Indeed it is one of the better graded-dirt roads, so I don't know why motorcycles should avoid unless the bike is just not suitable for any unpaved road? If that is the case, a different bike should be considered because in Baja the pavement ends before you get to where you want to go!

Photos showing then type of road and level terrain. Only a few big arroyo dips near Asuncion.

Washboard surface here, near San Hipolito (2016):

Entering Punta Prieta, BCS (2017):

New pipeline going in between La Bocana and San Hipolito (2012):

San Hipolito (2007)

La Bocana 2007 (now paved)

[Edited on 8-10-2021 by David K]

motoged - 8-10-2021 at 12:58 PM

Indeed it is one of the better graded-dirt roads, so I don't know why motorcycles should avoid unless the bike is just not suitable for any unpaved road? If that is the case, a different bike should be considered because in Baja the pavement ends before you get to where you want to go!

[Edited on 8-10-2021 by David K]

David,
You are not a moto rider. If you have been reading posts on this thread you would know what type of riding the OP is looking for
and is comfortable with and prepared for.

Leave moto commentary as to what are suitable roads for those shy with sandy conditions to those with experience.... :light:

David K - 8-10-2021 at 01:21 PM

I thought that was clear, I was only offering photos of the road in question and made no assumptions that I had any motorbike riding experiences. Lord knows I have no gnarly x-rays of my foot to demonstrate such! ;)

I just like to photograph dirt roads before some fool paves them!!! LOL

JZ - 8-10-2021 at 04:03 PM

View of the road to San Evarsito.

David K - 8-10-2021 at 04:32 PM

Nice shot!

Here is a look a bit closer to the ground, south of San Evaristo:

David K - 8-10-2021 at 05:18 PM

Gee, someone else is fussy about Baja place spellings (besides me)!!

JDCanuck - 8-10-2021 at 06:53 PM

Hi David: None of the pics you have posted yet indicated anything that would cause me to turn around, even with the K75. Keep them coming.

JZ - 8-10-2021 at 10:56 PM

Another trail. Naranjos Trail. I haven't done it before. We were going to run it in Jan 2020, but it started raining like crazy. We were in La Paz and the town was flooded.

This one is definitely harder. And not for a really big bike. Hopefully others (AkGringo?) with give you more specifics. It's roughly 30 miles.

[Edited on 8-11-2021 by JZ]

David K - 8-11-2021 at 05:38 AM

Hi David: None of the pics you have posted yet indicated anything that would cause me to turn around, even with the K75. Keep them coming.

Glad to hear that JD! I think you have enough intel to enjoy yourself... Use my website to design your adventure! www.vivabaja.com

David K - 8-11-2021 at 08:58 AM

Yes, I regret not paying to keep that url longer. I changed DavidKsBaja to VivaBaja over 16 years ago. After several years, I stopped paying for it.
Apparently those capitalist commies thought it was a great value to grab it??? LOL

JDCanuck - 8-11-2021 at 09:00 AM

I have a specific route question. Is there a back road route from Punta Marquez or Conquista Agraria down to Todos Santos? Seems a shame to have to run all the way into La Paz and back down the highways to get there. Google maps seem to go dead midway and only show a big inland detour to get across the one river.

David K - 8-11-2021 at 09:12 AM

I have a specific route question. Is there a back road route from Punta Marquez or Conquista Agraria down to Todos Santos? Seems a shame to have to run all the way into La Paz and back down the highways to get there. Google maps seem to go dead midway and only show a big inland detour to get across the one river.

Both the new Benchmark 2021 Baja California Atlas and the old 2009 Baja California Almanac show the roads that parallel the coast south from Punta Marquez area to Todos Santos. The Mexican topo map (CalTopo) shows them too.

JDCanuck - 8-11-2021 at 09:17 AM

Thanks David: That benchmark 2021 map looks to be what I need. Unfortunately only lists shipping to US eh?
Edited again: Found on Amazon, thanks David

[Edited on 8-11-2021 by JDCanuck]

David K - 8-11-2021 at 09:22 AM

Thanks David: That benchmark 2021 map looks to be what I need.

Here is the 2009 folding map from the Baja Almanac creator that shows the roads:

The Naranjos road

AKgringo - 8-11-2021 at 09:23 AM

I am not sure of the name or spelling of that route, but I drove it in November of 2020 from east, to west. It is a nice, scenic drive! I found a place to sleep up near the summit, and was serenaded by goats, and cows wearing bells for most of the night!

The first half was excellent dirt that would be an easy drive in anything up to a motor home! The western, last quarter of the road was about the same.

There were a couple of steep spots and water crossings on the west side of the divide that had been washed out and repaired, but nothing that I needed to use 4x4 or low range for.

I would not want to drive a low clearance, or long wheel based rig over that section, but you probably could. All bets are off if there is a storm before you ride it!

Edit; The water crossings were not deep, but a couple had steep approach or departure angles!

[Edited on 8-11-2021 by AKgringo]

David K - 8-11-2021 at 10:17 AM

Thanks David: That benchmark 2021 map looks to be what I need. Unfortunately only lists shipping to US eh?
Edited again: Found on Amazon, thanks David

It is also available as an app download for your smart phone or gps enabled tablet. It will show your location when in Baja.

JDCanuck - 8-14-2021 at 11:23 AM

Both the new Benchmark 2021 Baja California Atlas and the old 2009 Baja California Almanac show the roads that parallel the coast south from Punta Marquez area to Todos Santos. The Mexican topo map (CalTopo) shows them too. [/rquote]

Thanks for the map suggestions, have them coming in mail.

Marty Mateo - 8-14-2021 at 06:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am not sure of the name or spelling of that route, but I drove it in November of 2020 from east, to west. It is a nice, scenic drive! I found a place to sleep up near the summit, and was serenaded by goats, and cows wearing bells for most of the night!

The first half was excellent dirt that would be an easy drive in anything up to a motor home! The western, last quarter of the road was about the same.

There were a couple of steep spots and water crossings on the west side of the divide that had been washed out and repaired, but nothing that I needed to use 4x4 or low range for.

I would not want to drive a low clearance, or long wheel based rig over that section, but you probably could. All bets are off if there is a storm before you ride it!

Edit; The water crossings were not deep, but a couple had steep approach or departure angles!

[Edited on 8-11-2021 by AKgringo]

Los Naranjos rd, there is a sign beside the entrance to the Buddhist retreat on the east side .Great ride and seems to be graded once a year after the rains. The west side of the summit is definitely the most challenging if you’re on a big bike ,especially before any grading is done . Coming from west there are a few different ways in from the highway . Here’s a view point west of the summit.

8226D83D-2E45-482D-9D5A-5662296C3977.jpeg - 123kB

motoged - 8-14-2021 at 07:05 PM

He don't need no stinkin' pro.... but someone to hold his beer.

There is a north-south route from the west side that goes down to Cabo via La Candaleria village....

JDCanuck - 8-14-2021 at 07:31 PM

Thanks David: That benchmark 2021 map looks to be what I need.

Here is the 2009 folding map from the Baja Almanac creator that shows the roads:

Looks to me like it should be easily doable, assuming the routes from Ley Federal Agria Uno to El Rosario and then from Los Innocentes to Meliton Albanez are not too destroyed in bad weather. I will have to check them out when i get down there.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by JDCanuck]

JZ - 8-14-2021 at 07:34 PM

Apparently you didn't grow up Catholic. ;)

I actually did. Italian. Stopped around 7th or 8th grade.

I'm just a sh#tty speller.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by JZ]

Marty Mateo - 8-14-2021 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marty Mateo  
Here’s a view point west of the summit.
Is that guy in shorts and tennies... one of the riders? :wow:

Ha ha ha , wondered if anyone would notice that. First and last ride with that guy , shortly after that pic was taken he put his foot peg into his calf and I mean deep ugly hole in his calf. Then shortly after that got a flat and “surprisingly”had no spare tube or tools. You can see his blood soaked sock in this pic

63E64FC0-D95B-480E-A1B5-8691DFAB311D.jpeg - 135kB

AKgringo - 8-14-2021 at 08:04 PM

Looks to me like it should be easily doable, assuming the routes from Ley Federal Agria Uno to El Rosario and then from Los Innocentes to Meliton Albanez are not too destroyed in bad weather. I will have to check them out when i get down there.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by JDCanuck]

I picked my way through the backroads in that area in 2014. It was fun, but a bit confusing sometimes, because the apparent "main road" sometimes dead ended at a ranch!

The traffic to and from Mex 1 and the coast is more common than traffic traveling north and south.

The terrain is pretty flat, so much easier to maintain than some of the steeper mountain roads.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by AKgringo]