BajaNomad

We got Robbed. anyone know this guy?

Bajabus - 8-13-2021 at 07:50 AM

Yesterday around 4PM at our place in Elias Calles. Anyone recognize this guy?

thief.jpg - 63kB

Bajabus - 8-13-2021 at 07:53 AM

Tore the place up but didn't get much, a TV, computer monitor, and 4 L-16 sized AMG batteries. Used our wheelbarrow to get it down our driveway and out to the road.

JZ - 8-13-2021 at 08:03 AM

Sorry to hear that. Sucks when stuff gets stolen. Makes you feel like you have been violated.

4x4abc - 8-13-2021 at 08:10 AM

if you don't have dogs (one is not enough) be prepared to have at least one break in every year.

RFClark - 8-13-2021 at 09:26 AM

Go to the local police with the pictures and $1000 Pesos. They probably know him.

pacificobob - 8-13-2021 at 09:55 AM

my buddy who lives in Belize [ one of the most thieving places i know]
has a couple Brazilian mastiffs....he doesn't need to lock the doors.

JC43 - 8-13-2021 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Go to the local police with the pictures and $1000 Pesos. They probably know him.

YES!!! If you have 1000Pesos to throw away - do it. The Police will take the money, and maybe, but only maybe, they will tell you his name, nothing else. And then:::: What? Self Justice? Wanna kill him? R U really thinking of getting your stuff back??? Don`t forget, the Police are Mexicans as well.
Look foreward! talk to your insurer and buy new stuff and get over it. Period. For the future: Work on prevention is the only thing which helps.

JZ - 8-13-2021 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

YES!!! If you have 1000Pesos to throw away - do it. The Police will take the money, and maybe, but only maybe, they will tell you his name, nothing else. And then:::: What? Self Justice? Wanna kill him? R U really thinking of getting your stuff back??? Don`t forget, the Police are Mexicans as well.
Look foreward! talk to your insurer and buy new stuff and get over it. Period. For the future: Work on prevention is the only thing which helps.

What a bunch of hot air.

Don Pisto - 8-13-2021 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

What a bunch of hot air.

maybe......but also spot on

BajaBlanca - 8-13-2021 at 11:30 AM

This is just terrible. Great photo of him. Hass anyone else been robbed and did they get their stuff back?

Brazilian mastiffs are HUGE. Even if you have them, they need to be trained not to eat from anyone but the family member's hands so that they won't be poisoned.

Don Pisto - 8-13-2021 at 12:01 PM

hey it could be worse:(.........
Ambushed on Highway 5
Dejando Huella is a local and very reliable news source operated by my good friend Angel Anguiano who has very good sources with the local, state and federal police / national guard.

Angel reported earlier this morning that last Wednesday, August 11, tourists traveling in a caravan of three vehicles were ambushed at kilometer 148 on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway.

Authorities were contacted by the manager of a local business in Bahia San Luis Gonzaga who informed the responding officers of a group of 7 foreigners who arrived, stating that while traveling on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway, a black Toyota Tundra Pickup Vehicle blocked their way.
Several armed men wearing hoods got out of the vehicle blocking the highway and took their personal belongings and then fled northbound with their vehicles.

The vehicles reported stolen are a black Tahoe truck, a white Toyota Tacoma Pickup and a Nissan 4Runner truck.

btw this is from TB

[Edited on 8-13-2021 by Don Pisto]

John Harper - 8-13-2021 at 12:09 PM

Look forward! talk to your insurer and buy new stuff and get over it. Period. For the future: Work on prevention is the only thing which helps.

What a bunch of hot air.

Words of wisdom from an expert on "hot air."

Police here in the states rarely investigate property crimes anymore. That's pretty much left to insurance today. Or, just suck it up.

I've had cars stolen here in the US, and all the cops do is take a report. Joe Friday and Bill Gannon are dead, Jim.

Prevention is the best protection. But, even the best efforts fail.

John

[Edited on 8-13-2021 by John Harper]

Lee - 8-13-2021 at 12:53 PM

What a bunch of hot air.

Not hot air at all. And, looks like someone knows Baja and someone doesn't.

What jc43 wrote is accurate. Police can't make an arrest unless they witness the crime (perp on the property with the goods). Bribes will work, may get property back maybe not. Perp is probably a neighbor of the cops -- nothing much will happen then.

Doesn't sound like dog(s) were home. House needs a dog or two. Dogs that bark at strangers.

Neighbor of mine in Pesky leaves his home locked and empty 6 months a year. He's Canadian. He has a full time resident neighbor. Thiefs chipped concrete around window to pry metal bars to access. Lots of damage and loss. How can this happen with neighbors home. Easy.

In Las Tunas, a neighbor down the road from my property, ran an errand to town, gone an hour or so, thief's got in while he was gone. He thinks someone saw him leave home and maybe called a thief friend to check things out.

No justice for thievery in Baja for gringoes. Cops, like most MX, think gringoes have money and can easily replace lost stuff.

Doing business in a suburb of San Jose, Costa Rica. A middle-class area. Asked a homeowner about thievery. She said homes cannot be left empty with no one around. Someone must always be home. No mention of dog for security. Also said if a neighbor sees you leave, they will break in and steal the appliances.

Words to the wise.

advrider - 8-13-2021 at 12:54 PM

WOW, we were going to head down in December but this one makes me rethink things for sure! What is TB?

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Ambushed on Highway 5
Dejando Huella is a local and very reliable news source operated by my good friend Angel Anguiano who has very good sources with the local, state and federal police / national guard.

Angel reported earlier this morning that last Wednesday, August 11, tourists traveling in a caravan of three vehicles were ambushed at kilometer 148 on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway.

Authorities were contacted by the manager of a local business in Bahia San Luis Gonzaga who informed the responding officers of a group of 7 foreigners who arrived, stating that while traveling on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway, a black Toyota Tundra Pickup Vehicle blocked their way.
Several armed men wearing hoods got out of the vehicle blocking the highway and took their personal belongings and then fled northbound with their vehicles.

The vehicles reported stolen are a black Tahoe truck, a white Toyota Tacoma Pickup and a Nissan 4Runner truck.

btw this is from TB

[Edited on 8-13-2021 by advrider]

John Harper - 8-13-2021 at 01:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
WOW, we were going to head down in December but this one makes me rethink things for sure! What is TB?

Talk Baja?

John

Bajaboy - 8-13-2021 at 01:15 PM

Sorry to hear. I'm sure you've already shared this with Lidia and her family. I'm sure someone knows him.

Funny some of the advice you're getting considering how long you've lived in Mexico.

Good luck!

LancairDriver - 8-13-2021 at 01:16 PM

Was this robbery while traveling at night?
This type of robbery has been more common on the mainland. Hope it doesn’t become more common now in Baja. Different times ahead for sure. Normally these higher profile vehicles would be easy to spot.

JZ - 8-13-2021 at 02:42 PM

I'd give the cops $500 or so with the agreement they put the thief in jail for 6 months.

My good friend in SC was the boat captain for the Chief and that's how we did things there.

Don't be a victim.

[Edited on 8-13-2021 by JZ]

JC43 - 8-13-2021 at 02:50 PM

To all those who are now re-thinking their trip to Baja: Look into your local newspaper under: Police Report. You will find certainly more reports about crime than reported in Baja. I consider Baja as relatively safe. Of course crimes will happen .... ALL OVER THE AMERICAS! That includes the U.S in the first place. As well as Mexico. If you wanna avoid this: Stay home on your balcony. But make sure that the iron cave around your balcony has no weak bar. And the front door at least 5 (five) locks and a wooden security bar like those castles in the middle age. And secure the chimney - a possible entry for all gangsters (I do not mean Santa coming through this entrance!!!)

JC43 - 8-13-2021 at 02:57 PM

I'd give the cops $500 so they put the thief in jail for 6 months.

... IF IT HAPPENS !!!! (the Police will presumably buy Coke (or cerveza) for the next 6 month)..... and just in case he is released after 3 days ... you are the first he will visit again asking you - but not politely - for $ 1000. My thought: Stupid is who stupid does. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

John Harper - 8-13-2021 at 03:05 PM

I'd give the cops $500 so they put the thief in jail for 6 months.

... IF IT HAPPENS !!!! (the Police will presumably buy Coke (or cerveza) for the next 6 month)..... and just in case he is released after 3 days ... you are the first he will visit again asking you - but not politely - for $ 1000. My thought: Stupid is who stupid does. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks, I was hoping someone would respond to this idiotic statement.

John

Bajabus - 8-13-2021 at 03:08 PM

Police and Delegato came by, reports are done. A reward and pictures are up on the local boards. Yes I know all the good advice, been living on and off here for 25 plus years. We had house sitters but they got called away last min for an emergency. Next day Lynn goes over to check on things because we will be back on the property Saturday. She is on camera, 28 mins after she leaves this creep shows up. Dogs are nice but they tend to want to come with us all the time or chase us right out the gate until we relent. He parked on the main highway 4 PM in the afternoon walked in and used our wheelbarrow to make 2 trips in and out a long ass driveway with some serious battery weight.

It is what it is. I just want the jerk caught and have the chit slapped out of him by the cops in the back room.

I basically posted this to give folks in the area a heads up and to see if anyone recognizes him.

David K - 8-13-2021 at 03:14 PM

So sorry this happened, Max. Is this home of yours near where I saw the bus was in 2001 (in relation to the highway)? That was quite some distance to wheelbarrow stuff, if yes?

BajaGringo - 8-13-2021 at 03:32 PM

I'd give the cops $500 or so with the agreement they put the thief in jail for 6 months.

My good friend in SC was the boat captain for the Chief and that's how we did things there.

Don't be a victim.

That used to be good advice several years ago when Mexico was still under the old system of criminal justice but ever since the criminal justice reform legislation was passed a few years back, it has cut the legs off of LE at all levels and took away many of the "tools" the ministeriales would use to pressure the perps into a confession.

Today, the criminal justice system is badly broken down here and literally a revolving door for criminals who are often now arrested, charged and released while still awaiting trial on a list of prior charges for which they haven't even been to court yet.

Several recent opinion surveys all show that the people of Mexico are fed up with this current system and I expect that whoever wins the presidency down here in 2024 will do so on a platform promising to scale back and/or modify many of those reforms that were implemented.

BajaNomad - 8-13-2021 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Ambushed on Highway 5

btw this is from TB

Also now posted in the following thread:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=96445

Sourced from Baja Gringo at Talk Baja ("TB") here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/posts/4944277315586...

Lee - 8-13-2021 at 04:17 PM

Don't be a victim.
[Edited on 8-13-2021 by JZ]

If you had cops in your pocket, or were tight with a Chief, this could work. Otherwise, I wouldn't trust cops to do anything. Guessing this is Pescadero jurisdiction.

Bajabus - 8-13-2021 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
So sorry this happened, Max. Is this home of yours near where I saw the bus was in 2001 (in relation to the highway)? That was quite some distance to wheelbarrow stuff, if yes?

Yeah those L-16's are unwieldy and heavy as hell. It's a long up and down with steep hills.

Bajabus - 8-13-2021 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yeah those L-16's are unwieldy and heavy as hell. It's a long steep up and down several hills to get in and out that driveway.

Bajabus - 8-13-2021 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
This is just terrible. Great photo of him. Hass anyone else been robbed and did they get their stuff back?

Brazilian mastiffs are HUGE. Even if you have them, they need to be trained not to eat from anyone but the family member's hands so that they won't be poisoned.

It's the usual petty thievery, a few years back our friends Greg n Myra had some stuff stolen and ended up getting it back, had the guy on camera. They even had the pleasure of hearing the police in the back room talk some sense into the bums.

No serious violence associated with theft in years but ya never know.

Bajabus - 8-13-2021 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Sorry to hear. I'm sure you've already shared this with Lidia and her family. I'm sure someone knows him.

Funny some of the advice you're getting considering how long you've lived in Mexico.

Good luck!

Yeah the whole town knows about it now. Ernesto was there with the cops. Good man, I've known him over 25 years.

Hopefully they catch the guy and beat the crap out of him.

Rossman - 8-13-2021 at 06:20 PM

Here's a little story that fits into this thread. About 2 months ago my house was broken into while I was in BdLA. Computer, TV, some countertop appliances. Seems every day I discover something else missing. Reported to local police and they asked me tom report it to the organization that investigates these things in Vizcaino. They did everything possible to avoid taking my report. Do you have your passport? Lease agreement? Utility bill etc. Agreed to come back the next day with all of this non important information to do the report. Meanwhile, I got a visit from a local friend that brought a couple guys who asked all the right questions and were very interested in what was taken, crime scene evidence (foot prints) everything about the breakin. The first thing that struck me was they each had a Glock 9 mm auto in their waistband. While they followed footprints, I asked my friend if they were cops or what the story was. He had a hard time explaining but called them mafia. They step in when local police are ineffective. Sort of a vigilante group. Footprints led to a seedy motel close by and they actually broke into a room of folks that I suspected in the first place and found some evidence of my stuff but nothing big and nothing absolutely provable as mine. The folks from the motel disappeared the day I returned from BdLA and showed up in Bahia Tortugas, supposedly with a pocket full of money. Anyway I never got anything back but had more confidence in these freelancers than any other organizations. A lot more to the story but tried to be concise, and failed.

Hook - 8-13-2021 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Police here in the states rarely investigate property crimes anymore. That's pretty much left to insurance today. Or, just suck it up.

John

[Edited on 8-13-2021 by John Harper]

Maybe in California, where police forces are being defunded and gun ownership is looked down on. Crooks know what's going on, and are taking advantage of it.

But police in Idaho still take property crimes seriously. So does the average citizen in Idaho.

We're 49th in incidence of property crime per 100k residents. California is, naturally, above the national average. Car theft happens about four times as much in California as in Idaho, per 100k persons.

Deterrence, not "sucking it up" works up here.

Lee - 8-13-2021 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Good luck!

Yeah the whole town knows about it now. Ernesto was there with the cops. Good man, I've known him over 25 years.

Hopefully they catch the guy and beat the crap out of him.

Basic advice and personally don't know who lives where or how long.

Entry wasn't mentioned. Care to share that? What will you do to thwart the next attempt?

Pick up a MX dog and train it for security. Just thinking out loud.

monoloco - 8-16-2021 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

It's the usual petty thievery, a few years back our friends Greg n Myra had some stuff stolen and ended up getting it back, had the guy on camera. They even had the pleasure of hearing the police in the back room talk some sense into the bums.

No serious violence associated with theft in years but ya never know.
The cops now are unlikely to do anything about it. Last year there was a group from Pescadero robbing houses in the San Pedrito neighborhood. Several people caught them in the neighborhood, once driving a stolen UTV, there were also security camera videos that were obviously them, everyone knew where they lived, yet the cops were completely useless, and refused to do anything. You pretty much have to catch them in the act, even catching them with the loot isn't good enough anymore, apparently, possession of stolen property is not a crime in Mexico, and they will just make up a story that they found it in the bushes or bought it from some guy on the beach. There was an incident a couple of years ago where someone had their laptop stolen and used Find My Mac to trace to a house in Pescadero, the cops said they couldn't do anything but knock on the door and ask politely if they had it. Of course they said they didn't, and that was the end of it.

BajaTed - 8-16-2021 at 05:14 PM

Need to start a rumor; the bad guy was bragging he does this all the time, he made a lot of $$$ and the local cartels guys get a cut.

If & when the local cartels hears that, problem solved or proof of how bad it is.
Baja is never B&W its always grey, just got to deal with it accordingly.

motoged - 8-16-2021 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  

Here's a little story that fits into this thread. About 2 months ago my house was broken into while I was in BdLA. ... Meanwhile, I got a visit from a local friend that brought a couple guys .... each had a Glock 9 mm auto in their waistband. .... called them mafia. They step in when local police are ineffective. Sort of a vigilante group...

Ross,
Sorry to hear of the breakin.

I have had conversations with locals on the mainland (Oaxaca state) in the past and they seemed to equate "mafia" with cartel guys.... but they are "sensitive" conversations and the locals were not comfortable exploring my curiosity of how cartels police their low-level thugs.... or just how vigilante groups (the "good guys") operate. I am aware of the shifting status of the vigilante effort/history in Michoacan....

Did you ever get wind of any follow-up?

[Edited on 8-17-2021 by motoged]

4x4abc - 8-16-2021 at 06:40 PM

Here's a little story that fits into this thread. About 2 months ago my house was broken into while I was in BdLA. Computer, TV, some countertop appliances. Seems every day I discover something else missing. Reported to local police and they asked me tom report it to the organization that investigates these things in Vizcaino. They did everything possible to avoid taking my report. Do you have your passport? Lease agreement? Utility bill etc. Agreed to come back the next day with all of this non important information to do the report. Meanwhile, I got a visit from a local friend that brought a couple guys who asked all the right questions and were very interested in what was taken, crime scene evidence (foot prints) everything about the breakin. The first thing that struck me was they each had a Glock 9 mm auto in their waistband. While they followed footprints, I asked my friend if they were cops or what the story was. He had a hard time explaining but called them mafia. They step in when local police are ineffective. Sort of a vigilante group. Footprints led to a seedy motel close by and they actually broke into a room of folks that I suspected in the first place and found some evidence of my stuff but nothing big and nothing absolutely provable as mine. The folks from the motel disappeared the day I returned from BdLA and showed up in Bahia Tortugas, supposedly with a pocket full of money. Anyway I never got anything back but had more confidence in these freelancers than any other organizations. A lot more to the story but tried to be concise, and failed.

I reported one of my more than 10 break ins (before i got the dogs) to the authorities.
Yes, they try to make it as difficult as possible to do so.
Papers, papers, papers. And then more papers.
About an hour of questions about me.
Where were you born. Why did you move to Mexico.
Grandma's maiden name. I am not kidding.
Pictures of the stolen goods. Receipts. Why did you buy them?

2 hours for the whole procedure.
More paper. Lotsa copies.
It was a very unpleasant inquiry about me and my life.

The outcome?
Nada. Nothing.
Serious waste of time

mtgoat666 - 8-16-2021 at 08:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

I reported one of my more than 10 break ins (before i got the dogs) to the authorities.
Yes, they try to make it as difficult as possible to do so.
Papers, papers, papers. And then more papers.
About an hour of questions about me.
Where were you born. Why did you move to Mexico.
Grandma's maiden name. I am not kidding.
Pictures of the stolen goods. Receipts. Why did you buy them?

2 hours for the whole procedure.
More paper. Lotsa copies.
It was a very unpleasant inquiry about me and my life.

The outcome?
Nada. Nothing.
Serious waste of time

They sound like very thorough investigators. I like it that they took time to investigate all avenues.

:lol:

BajaMama - 8-17-2021 at 10:11 AM

We had a few break-ins in Punta Chivato a few years back. The local cops started patrolling (still are- saw them in May/June) and a neighborhood watch was started. Seems to help.

4x4abc - 8-18-2021 at 03:27 AM

found this 2013 news on the computer today. No, you did not see a smile on my face.

"03-26-2013, La Paz, Baja California Sur. - A presumed thief who is still unidentified, jumped into a well that was more than 60 feet deep, and died from drowning and multiple fractures, mainly of the neck, reported police sources.

The event happened at 9PM yesterday in Ejido El Centenario, Baja California Sur. The subject was being pursued by State Ministerial Police and he had an outstanding arrest warrant for stealing tires and rims.

Upon seeing he was surrounded near a home, he jumped into a well to avoid being arrested. He died instantaneously."

loved that forum, and many others that have died to make room for big and dumbed down forums

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 4.24.31 AM.png - 105kB

AKgringo - 8-18-2021 at 08:49 AM

I wonder if it was really "jumped in well", or possibly it was "dumped in well"? :?:

del mar - 8-18-2021 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
found this 2013 news on the computer today. No, you did not see a smile on my face.

"03-26-2013, La Paz, Baja California Sur. - A presumed thief who is still unidentified, jumped into a well that was more than 60 feet deep, and died from drowning and multiple fractures, mainly of the neck, reported police sources.

The event happened at 9PM yesterday in Ejido El Centenario, Baja California Sur. The subject was being pursued by State Ministerial Police and he had an outstanding arrest warrant for stealing tires and rims.

Upon seeing he was surrounded near a home, he jumped into a well to avoid being arrested. He died instantaneously."

loved that forum, and many others that have died to make room for big and dumbed down forums

Chuck's still around, he has a Rosarito fb forum (at least one) just reporting local news. NO MAS Nomad parody