BajaNomad

san ignacio checkpoint

esemjay1956 - 10-6-2021 at 06:50 AM

I see the Govt bandidos are at it again at the San Ignacio checkpoint. WHY does this continue after all these years? It seems to slow down for a while then some folks get hasseled like crazy and stuff stolen. Calling the number seems to have no effect....

David K - 10-6-2021 at 07:25 AM

Please detail what happened there.

For me, in 2015, I was accused of having marijuana bits on my floor mat!

mtgoat666 - 10-6-2021 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by esemjay1956  
I see the Govt bandidos are at it again at the San Ignacio checkpoint. WHY does this continue after all these years? It seems to slow down for a while then some folks get hasseled like crazy and stuff stolen. Calling the number seems to have no effect....

Me thinks you read some story on Facebook, eh?

Call and write mex military, political and tourism officials if it bothers you.

If concerned a check point, only open/unlock one door at a time. Also, if things go sideways, hit your panic alarm button on key fob and make some noise.

pacificobob - 10-6-2021 at 08:05 AM

Your story is a tad vague, and lacking details. Care to elaborate?

BajaBlanca - 10-6-2021 at 08:40 AM

I tried to locate the original story to copy here but I can't find it. Some folks were told to step away from their vehicle while it was searched and they got money stolen to the tune of $1500 if I recall correctly.

It was a disturbing story.

rhintransit - 10-6-2021 at 08:49 AM

This from Facebook, Voices of Loreto, shared from TalkBajaRoadConditions

“ On Sunday 10/3 at the San Ignacio Military stop (heading South), my husband and I were told to get out of our Jeep Wrangler for inspection and to move away from the car. I was asked for my passport and questioned about where we were coming from and where we were going...I was driving. The other military guy rifled through my husband´s briefcase...he was told to stand back..and, we found out later, stole $1,500. They rifled through my personal papers and then told us to remove all the contents of our car. We were fully loaded. We brought out several boxes and my overnight bag...which the guard went through opening all my medications, cosmetics, underwear, jewelry. I watched him closely...luckily he missed my cash. When he tried to open some medication that was sealed and needed refrigeration in our cooler, we both said NO. After going into my husband´s wallet and taking 2500 pesos, we were allowed to leave.
Be careful there. Apparently there is a number displayed on a post to call and complain. We did not know that but when you start to call, they let you go. A very unpleasant experience to say the least.

That was the only problem we´ve had in the many times up and down Baja.”

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by rhintransit]

John Harper - 10-6-2021 at 08:54 AM

Who carries $1500 cash, when credit cards, and other means of payment are available? That seems fishy to me. And someone carries a briefcase with money in it???

IDK, just seems like an odd story.

John

AguaDulce - 10-6-2021 at 09:15 AM

I do. Not all locals have a bank account or take credit cards for services. Cash is king and can help you out of a jam.

Terry28 - 10-6-2021 at 09:17 AM

Thats right!! shoot the messenger....I have always carried cash on our trips..Cash is king when in Mexico...I for one believe this story. That check point has a reputation for rip-offs....

AKgringo - 10-6-2021 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  
Thats right!! shoot the messenger....I have always carried cash on our trips..Cash is king when in Mexico...I for one believe this story. That check point has a reputation for rip-offs....

I have heard that before, but I have always been waved through with no search. It might have something to do with my co-pilot...she is 90+ pound's of canine muscle and bone!

She won't bite, but they don't know that!

John Harper - 10-6-2021 at 09:30 AM

Either way, if I carried $1500 cash, it certainly would not be in a briefcase. I assume you 'cash is King" folks probably hide any large amounts of cash? Or, just leave it on the front seat??

I assume most people would use a little common sense when carrying cash.

John

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by John Harper]

David K - 10-6-2021 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Either way, if I carried $1500 cash, it certainly would not be in a briefcase. I assume you 'cash is King" folks probably hide any large amounts of cash? Or, just leave it on the front seat??

I assume most people would use a little common sense when carrying cash.

John

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by John Harper]

When you exit your car for an inspection, take your cash, camera, whatever is loose with you. I have my pockets full and am holding my GPS and camera when I get out on the rare times asked to exit my Tacoma. I have not had anything stolen from me by the military. Once they helped themselves to a couple of drinks out of my ice box when they asked me if they could... Their guns were bigger than mine, lol.

AKgringo - 10-6-2021 at 09:52 AM

I have always carried a cash reserve in case of an emergency, or loss of credit or debit cards.

In 2016, there was some issue with international money exchanges that caused the banks in Mulege and Loreto to refuse to issue pesos on a US bank card. They also would not accept my US greenbacks for exchange!

I was able to get more pesos when I got to La Paz, but I now keep 10,000 pesos as my emergency stash!

BajaBlanca - 10-6-2021 at 09:52 AM

That being said, David, there was the instance where the inspection guards made the folks empty their pockets.

I do not think $1500 is all that much to be carrying around? Add to that that this situation is simply unacceptable. Not always do ATMs work. Cards get lost or stolen.

One must watch the guards always, we tend to stand each to one side as they look thru our vehicle. Hawk eyes.

John Harper - 10-6-2021 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  

Not shooting anyone, just asking some basic questions.

No where in this story is there a reason given for all that cash, nor any awareness of a reputation about checkpoint issues. If these travelers were as seasoned and wise as you, perhaps they would not have this story to tell.

And how much cash do you usually carry, as much as $1500, or maybe $500 or less? I usually pack at least $300 "emergency" cash, but it's hidden very well and likely only less than $100 in my wallet.

John

Don Pisto - 10-6-2021 at 10:28 AM

it doesn't matter if it was $1500 or $15, so much for AMLO's promise of a civilian controlled security force. meet the new boss same as the old boss:(

SFandH - 10-6-2021 at 10:39 AM

My cash, cards, ID are all in my pockets at checkpoints. I can see having 1500 in cash if I were on my way to buy something, like a small outboard from a local, but that would be in an envelope, in my pocket.

Definitely don't hide anything in a cooler, coolers are always checked.;)

David K - 10-6-2021 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
For me, in 2015, I was accused of having marijuana bits on my floor mat!

So David, what measures did you take to follow up after that agression? Did you get any response from the authorities?

My wife and I were just stunned since in all my years of being inspected nothing like that had ever happened before. We just wanted to get away from that troop after they played that game. That was six years ago, and I did share the whole story here on Nomad (maybe review that?). We were driving north, on to the next camping beach. No place to make a report if we felt like going through that.

We had spent the night at Ricardo's (Rice & Beans) Motel in San Ignacio because the 'perfect' Hotel La Huerta was full, and the other places we knew (Desert Inn, Ignacio Springs) were just too $$$ for an overnight stop. If we were going south and stayed in San Ignacio, after the incident, I would likely notify someone there. I did regret not getting the guy's name, after we were gone, however.

Lee - 10-6-2021 at 12:51 PM

Money (esp. large sum) in a money belt, and/or shoes. No pockets and never off my body (not in vehicle, pack, suitcase, etc).

Lucky so far. Binocs, and Swiss knife taken (at ckpt).

JZ - 10-6-2021 at 01:00 PM

Who carries $1500 cash, when credit cards, and other means of payment are available? That seems fishy to me. And someone carries a briefcase with money in it???

John

What are you talking about? I wouldn't recommend anyone travel Baja with less cash.

In the US I might go months without handling a bill. Baja is much different. I can't give a boat capt. a CC.

Keep a certain amount on me or in my back pack, and the rest stowed away.

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 10-6-2021 at 01:31 PM

John

Typically I only use cash when traveling in baja. I dont trust many vendors (especially gas stations) with credit card, many vendors dont take CC, and I dont use my ATM card in baja, as sometimes it wont work, or remote locations just dont have ATMs.

Pretty normal to take several thousand dollars...

The reason I avoid using CC, is that when fraud does occur it is a pain in the @ss to get new CC number and change all my accounts that bill to that CC.

I avoid using my ATM card as I have a had a few times where it just did not work -- probably because i infrequently try to use it in mexico so bank just says no dice.

David K - 10-6-2021 at 01:51 PM

Gotta agree with the goat, here!

The ATM can swallow your card... then what do you do? Only have used a card rarely, at places I trust, like at Baja Cactus Pemex, El Rosario.

Although, unlike the goat, I am not a 1%'er, and have never taken close to $1,000 or more on a Baja trip! Maybe in the future, since he is opposed to cheap fuel for the people, the cost of gasoline may force me to bring more cash?!!

Bajaboy - 10-6-2021 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

John

Typically I only use cash when traveling in baja. I dont trust many vendors (especially gas stations) with credit card, many vendors dont take CC, and I dont use my ATM card in baja, as sometimes it wont work, or remote locations just dont have ATMs.

The reason I avoid using CC, is that when fraud does occur it is a pain in the @ss to get new CC number and change all my accounts that bill to that CC.

I avoid using my ATM card as I have a had a few times where it just did not work -- probably because i infrequently try to use it in mexico so bank just says no dice.

Of course you don't trust vendors in Mexico:lol: Most places do take credit card and it's a very safe way to handle a transaction. I've only had issues with my credit card north of the border. We always have an emergency atm card as well as an emergency credit card. And certain banks are pretty reliable while others are not. I'm happy to share some of the ones we prefer.

As for atms/banks, sure they some times run out of money or are out of service. We like to carry a small amount of pesos ($2000 if we're out of our village) but normally will use our credit card when possible. Why not collect the points, right? And there are no transaction fees like there are using an atm.

There is absolutely no reason to carry large amounts of money!

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by Bajaboy]

Don Pisto - 10-6-2021 at 02:25 PM

chalk it up to different strokes, my Schwab card has never been used for anything other than withdrawing dough from Santander.....Cash, its everywhere you want to be ;)

JZ - 10-6-2021 at 02:33 PM

Too much paranoia here. Have used a CC every where available in MX for 20 years without problem. Save your cash for where it is required.

For debit cards, you go to your bank's app and setup a travel plan. Takes 30 seconds. Save debit cards to pull cash out of ATMs. Use CC for everything else.

mtgoat666 - 10-6-2021 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

John

Of course you don't trust vendors in Mexico:lol: Most places do take credit card and it's a very safe way to handle a transaction. I've only had issues with my credit card north of the border. We always have an emergency atm card as well as an emergency credit card. And certain banks are pretty reliable while others are not. I'm happy to share some of the ones we prefer.

As for atms/banks, sure they some times run out of money or are out of service. We like to carry a small amount of pesos ($2000 if we're out of our village) but normally will use our credit card when possible. Why not collect the points, right? And there are no transaction fees like there are using an atm.

I got no worries carrying cash.
I have been annoyed with fake CC charges in mexico, and had atm card rejected.
Pretty easy to carry cash on road tripping vacation…

Re card points, i care about the cost more than points.
in usa i do often ask small biz for cash discount on larger transactions,… often get it.
I can get 2% cash back with CC, or pay 2 or 3 % less cash, and vendor avoids CC fees and keeps cash off books. Win win!

Bajaboy - 10-6-2021 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

John

I got no worries carrying cash.
I have been annoyed with fake CC charges in mexico, and had atm card rejected.
Pretty easy to carry cash on road tripping vacation…

Re card points, i care about the cost more than points.
in usa i do often ask small biz for cash discount on larger transactions,… often get it.
I can get 2% cash back with CC, or pay 2 or 3 % less cash, and vendor avoids CC fees and keeps cash off books. Win win!

:lol::lol::lol: You ask for a discount:lol::lol::lol:

AKgringo - 10-6-2021 at 03:46 PM

Even my dentist in La Paz is happy to take a credit card for the work she does. Why not....it saves her from having to store cash, or make a trip to the bank.

esemjay1956 - 10-7-2021 at 07:10 AM

Funny how a topic morphs into something else...I was the original poster... So in addition to the one experience copied from facebook, my good friend just passed through about a week ago. They emptied all her cabinents in her small motorhome and hassesed her for quite a while. I personally have had problems with these guys and only these guys at this checkpoint more than once. I am headed to Loreto in a couple weeks and I'm not looking forward to dealing with these guys.

John Harper - 10-7-2021 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

John

What are you talking about? I wouldn't recommend anyone travel Baja with less cash.

Not everyone is a big shot like you who travels with motorcycles, wives, kids, dogs, monster trucks and drones. Most the time I travel solo, have several credit cards with big limits, and my ATM card. Never had need for that much cake. Brought cash for a couple nights at MSR a couple years ago, pre-pandemic.

John

[Edited on 10-7-2021 by John Harper]

SFandH - 10-7-2021 at 09:32 AM

One time I gave a ride to one of the soldiers at the San Ignacio checkpoint back to his base, south of Santa Rosalia.

Maybe stop there to make a report?

[Edited on 10-7-2021 by SFandH]

watizname - 10-8-2021 at 02:18 PM

Been coming down to Baja for 30 some years. Never had a problem at a check point. Back in the old days my wife would pass out Victoria Secrets Catalogues and tootsi-roll pops. BUT this last Tues- Oct 5, at San Ignacio, the boys unzipped every zipper on every suitcase, looked in every compartment in the truck cab, went thru the backpacks, my wife's purse, and looked at the labels on all the medications in our suitcases. I'm 74 and had open heart surgery 12 years ago so I do carry quite a few medications, and my wife has back problems so she has hers. I actually showed the little darling my surgery scar to make a point about the meds. Worst inspection in over 30 years. Absolutely ridiculous. Said they were looking for drugas and armas. Stay right next to them. They told us to step away and we refused. Didn't loose anything this time because we wouldn't let them alone. Say what you want doubters, but it IS happening.

SFandH - 10-8-2021 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by watizname  
Been coming down to Baja for 30 some years. Never had a problem at a check point. Back in the old days my wife would pass out Victoria Secrets Catalogues and tootsi-roll pops. BUT this last Tues- Oct 5, at San Ignacio, the boys unzipped every zipper on every suitcase, looked in every compartment in the truck cab, went thru the backpacks, my wife's purse, and looked at the labels on all the medications in our suitcases. I'm 74 and had open heart surgery 12 years ago so I do carry quite a few medications, and my wife has back problems so she has hers. I actually showed the little darling my surgery scar to make a point about the meds. Worst inspection in over 30 years. Absolutely ridiculous. Said they were looking for drugas and armas. Stay right next to them. They told us to step away and we refused. Didn't loose anything this time because we wouldn't let them alone. Say what you want doubters, but it IS happening.

Chit, I'm going through there next week with a car full of stuff. Was your wife carrying her purse? Did they open a wallet?

pacificobob - 10-8-2021 at 04:06 PM

I always get them engaged in conversation. "Where are you from? " how long in the army?" My wife watches the cab while watch them in the bed of the truck. [Or trailer]
Zero problems since the '60s. They are aware of the scrutiny we are directing their way.

Don Pisto - 10-8-2021 at 04:21 PM

get the app....it can't hurt
https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/milan/index.php/avisos/82-app-d...

Russ - 10-8-2021 at 06:25 PM

I went thru SI on Wednesday without much hassle but talking with other recent arrivals some were really checked out to being pulled over and unloaded. One had his coffee opened and checked. Only complaints were about San Ignacio...

BajaBlanca - 10-8-2021 at 07:27 PM

This is really unacceptable. Something should be done.

san ignacio checkpoint

esemjay1956 - 10-9-2021 at 06:57 AM

Glad to see someone else had a problem. And yes I called the number last June on my way north, nothing has changed. This is a big deal for folks headed through for the first time especially, these guys can be very intimidating. I have a hard time believing the Commandante south of Santa Rosalia is not aware of the situation.

mtgoat666 - 10-9-2021 at 07:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by esemjay1956  
Glad to see someone else had a problem. And yes I called the number last June on my way north, nothing has changed. This is a big deal for folks headed through for the first time especially, these guys can be very intimidating. I have a hard time believing the Commandante south of Santa Rosalia is not aware of the situation.

The fact that this has been going on for years tells you all you need to know. Military is rotten to the core. Just like most police are rotten to the core.

Military and police are in bed with cartels. Military and police are also practicing armed robbery of citizens.

Stealing at inspection points while carrying guns is armed robbery.

Fleecing motorists with fake traffic charges while carrying guns is armed robbery.

No one in military cares if toursists complain to jefes. The jefes are ALL corrupt, and the mexican citizens are accepting of their government. Nothing will change until Mexicans stand up and demand more of their government.

[Edited on 10-9-2021 by mtgoat666]

surfhat - 10-9-2021 at 07:36 AM

Not this particular problematic check point, but when I drove down in early March, two of the military check points on the 1 thoroughly searched my car and bags, and I mean thoroughly.

This was the first time in decades, lucky me?, that my stuff was gone through to that extent. Sometimes in the past it had been a rudimentary look over. Not that time.

It could have been because I was traveling alone without the usual group of friends I usually take to share my love of Baja with.

I did try watch him as closely as possible while the military person rifled thoroughly through my belongings. One guy stood by me while the other searched.

Have at it. The only meds I carried were some blood pressure and prostate bottles. Yep, that comes with the years. Sure beats the alternative.

It was a bit disturbing how deeply they looked into all my stuff. They did not miss a thing.

In the past, they casually looked around. Not last March.

I know they have their reasons, but it did feel excessive at the time.

I always thank them for keeping the roads safe and they seem to appreciate the sentiment.

surfhat - 10-9-2021 at 07:38 AM

My destination was GN. btw.

SFandH - 10-9-2021 at 09:03 AM

My question on location is related to whether there's a difference in retén behavior depending on the Zona...

[Edited on 10-9-2021 by lencho]

I'd guess the difference from checkpoint to checkpoint is a function of the on-site commander. Apparently, there are some unethical officers working the San Ignacio checkpoint.

motoged - 10-9-2021 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Chit, I'm going through there next week with a car full of stuff.

Glass half full version: An opportunity to chat 'em up as they go through your stuff.

See if you can find out why they're so thorough now; is it just to find things to rip off, or has the policy changed up the line so they're actually looking more thoroughly for contraband?

Side note: I've entertained the idea of storing some really stinky dirty laundry in a tempting-lookin duffle bag. Soiled Depends would be good one for us "mature" folks. ("Disculpe, con todo respeto, yo que fuera usted, no abriría esa maleta...")Text

[Edited on 10-9-2021 by lencho]

Not sure how a soldier would respond to one of us asking him if he was following orders or just looking to rip me off....:biggrin:

Those in the know will need to sharpen their stash skills ...:light:

And leaving a stash of chitty briefs, boxers, or depends would require a week camping in the desert before hitting SI.... so those doing the Cabo Dash might slow down and smell the cactus to build up their supply of stink.

AKgringo - 10-9-2021 at 09:40 AM

It will be interesting to see if my "big dog" pass gets me through San Ignacio again! It failed at the inspection point south of the hwy 3/5 junction last year.

There was a "dog lover" soldier that had her out of the car playing with her, right in the middle of the inspection! It was a very cordial, and minimal intrusion.

[Edited on 10-9-2021 by AKgringo]

Skipjack Joe - 10-9-2021 at 11:05 AM

I have found the police to be far more corrupt than the military.

Having seen how little has been accomplished with Humphreysville's murder case it's hard to expect much from a complaint about a theft of $1500.

As Blanca states, the best course of action is to prevent theft rather than recover it. Stand next to the door and watch closely where the hands go. Such scrutiny will almost certainly stop a thief from trying anything. Don't go to the back of the car if asked to and don't engage in conversation during the search. I have never seen a search done by more than a single person at a time.

Mindful - 10-9-2021 at 05:44 PM

I came thru there a week ago. No problems. short conversation with my limited espanol.

Don Pisto - 10-9-2021 at 07:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Having seen how little has been accomplished with Humphreysville's murder case it's hard to expect much from a complaint about a theft of $1500.

Apples and oranges.

And in my mind the retén problem is not about the $1,500-- that's just a symptom.

It's that military personnel, who have way more training than most cops, discipline, and a code of ethics supposedly governing their behavior, are violating their own code of honor with this behavior: They are harming the very civilians whom they're supposed to be defending, and in that besmirching the reputation of the institution. Enlisted pawns and low-level officers might not care about that and actually be in on it together, but lifelong career officers like the generals in charge of the Zonas Militares may actually care about things like honor pride, and esprit de corps, casting a dim eye on those who tarnish that honor.

Would be fun to talk with one of those high-ranking officers to see where their head's really at. :light:

its the lure of easy money...its got a very strong appeal

Lee - 10-9-2021 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Stand next to the door and watch closely where the hands go.

I have never seen a search done by more than a single person at a time.

After a number of thefts at ckpts, now before crossing, I remove everything from center console and glove compartment. There is nothing of value to take, and nothing removable anyway. At least up front.

I have a Yakima Rocket Box on top. I've never been asked to open it at ckpts. They'd need a ladder to access it anyway. After years of having my backpack searched, I put it on top and so far, so good.

BTW, these guys are looking for CBD. Medicine bottles are suspect. If they find some, it'll be a fine. They'll start high, you start low. After arriving at a price, before leaving, take your CBD back.

Lee - 10-9-2021 at 08:30 PM

It's that military personnel, who have way more training than most cops, discipline, and a code of ethics supposedly governing their behavior, are violating their own code of honor with this behavior: :

Me and a friend gave 3 guys from SI ckpt a ride to their base S. of Santa Rosalia. Got a tour of the base. Met everyone.

As well trained, disciplined, ethical as Afgan military.

motoged - 10-10-2021 at 01:11 AM

The following post was in response to a JZ post attacking Lencho....which has since been deleted (for those who are wondering what I am talking about). I don't know if JZ or Doug deleted JZ's post:

"Joey, you are judging nomads all the time here...the above post is evidence of that. What a hypocrite. :rolleyes:

Very few respect your self-centered opinions and actions.... as in another thread you boast about ignoring shoreline restrictions near Loreto... no one supported your braggadocio then either.

Capiche ?

Lencho wasn't judging.... he was asking for clarity about a comment. Maybe you could explain your own weird behaviour...

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by motoged]"

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by motoged]

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by motoged]

BajaNomad - 10-10-2021 at 11:06 AM

The Mexican Army's 16th Infantry Company ("16/a C.I.N.E.") mans the checkpoint just north of San Ignacio. The 16th Infantry Company's Military Camp (40-c) is at the San Lucas Military Airstrip (dirt), along the Sea of Cortez 5km south of Santa Rosalia. Here's a Google Maps link:
https://goo.gl/maps/XhHMfTsDC7MnKbaD8

This Infantry Company is associated with Military Zone 40 out of Guerrero Negro, BCS.

245089836_10165770130945054_8698975997592704199_n.jpg - 261kB 245067279_6890102374348820_4805648122373284954_n_B.jpg - 282kB

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by BajaNomad]

FireShot Capture 2171.jpg - 205kBFireShot Capture 2172.png - 8kB

SFandH - 10-10-2021 at 11:10 AM

Thanks bajanomad for the info. I've bookmarked this thread in case I need to make a report, which I'll do if harassed.

RFClark - 10-10-2021 at 02:06 PM

I not going to say anyone else is wrong. I’ll just say that we dive south to Los Cabos often. During these trips we have had generally good experiences at all of the checkpoints. We’ve seen other cars and trucks searched with various degrees of zeal. (None to extreme) We have been searched from not at all to so-so! That said they do seem to profile who they search and to what degree. They don’t seem to look in the places professionals hide stuff! It’s difficult to define exactly what their mission is!

All of the military personal have been professional and polite to us. While the police have occasionally asked for money, the military never has!

We could be the exception, but I doubt it!

geoffff - 10-12-2021 at 09:13 AM

This looks like the complete document BajaNomad quoted from above:

ZONAS_MILITARES.pdf (2017)

Z.M.: TELÉFONO COMERCIAL, CALLE, COLONIA, MUNICIPIO O DELEGACIÓN, ESTADO
1/a: 5552723178 Av. Observatorio, Tacubaya, Miguel Hidalgo, Ciudad de México
2/a: NO CUENTA Av. Ramos Millán, Morelos, Tijuana, Baja California
3/a: 6121220464 Calle 5 de Mayo y Chiapas, Vicente Guerrero, La Paz, Baja California Sur
4/a: 6622851032 Ángel García Aburto Final, Lomalinda, Hermosillo, Sonora
5/a: 6144186090 J.J. Morón y Marcelo Caraveo., Cuarteles, Chihuahua, Chihuahua
6/a: 8777730240 Contador Público Jorge Luis Flores Enríquez., Aeropuerto, Cd. Acuña, Coahuila
7/a: 16470040 Carretera Nuevo Laredo entronque a Salinas Victoria km. 1.5, Campo Militar Núm. 7-A, Apodaca, Nuevo León
8/a: NO CUENTA Carretera Reynosa- Matamoros, km. 85, Almaguer, Cd. Reynosa,, Tamaulipas
9/a: NO CUENTA Colegio Militar, Miguel Hidalgo, Culiacán, Sinaloa
10/a: 6188134290 Hidalgo, Centro., Durango., Durango.
11/a: 9232960 Secretaría de la Defensa Nacional, Ejidal, Guadalupe, Zacatecas
12/a: NO CUENTA Calzada de Guadalupe, Barrio San Sebastián, San Luis Potosí, San Luis Potosí
13/a: 13112131208 Calzada del Ejercito, Morelos, Tepic, Nayarit
14/a: NO CUENTA Aguascalientes, Las Cumbres, Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes
15/a: 13338321037 Aviación, La Estrada, Zapopan, Jalisco
16/a: 4111643060 Del Cuartel, El Retiro, Sarabia, Guanajuato
17/a: 14422163539 Hacienda San Juan, San Antonio de la Punta, Querétaro, Querétaro
18/a: NO CUENTA El Álamo, Tezontle, Pachuca, Hidalgo
19/a: 17838342042 Cerro del Atalaya, Centro, Tuxpan, Veracruz
20/a: 312 313 42 30 Pedro A. Galván, Centro, Colima, Colima
21/a: NO CUENTA Olivares de Tzintzuntzan, Vasco de Quiroga, Morelia, Michoacán
22/a: 7242694006 Carretera Tejupilco - Amatepec, km. 14.5, San Miguel Ixtapan, México, México
23/a: 2464660347 Autopista Tlaxcala-San Martín, km 4.5, Santa Elena, Panotla, Tlaxcala
24/a: NO CUENTA Emiliano Zapata, Buenavista, Cuernavaca, Morelos
25/a: 2222356092 (EXT. 1028) 5 de Mayo, Ignacio Zaragoza, Puebla, Puebla
26/a: 2288128605 Carretera Federal Xalapa-Veracruz km. 7.5., El Lencero, Emiliano Zapata, Veracruz
27/a: 17424232087 Domicilio Conocido, El Ticui, Atoyac de Álvarez, Guerrero
28/a: 9515130013 Carretera Internacional Cristóbal Colon 190, Santa María Ixcotel, Santa Lucía del Camino, Oaxaca
29/a: 9222238591 Lázaro Cárdenas, Cuauhtémoc, Minatitlán, Veracruz
30/a: 9933159188 Paseo Usumacinta, Atasta, Centro, Tabasco
31/a: NO CUENTA Carretera Comitán- Ocosingo km. 95.2, Rancho Nuevo, San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas
32/a: NO CUENTA 41, Militar, Valladolid, Yucatán
33/a: NO CUENTA Juan Escutia, Buenavista, Campeche, Campeche
34/a: 9838322125 Andrés Quintana Roo, Centro, Othón P. Blanco, Quintana Roo
35/a: 17474712002 Calzada Ejército Mexicano, Progreso, Chilpancingo, Guerrero
36/a: 9626263504 Central Oriente, Centro, Tapachula, Chiapas
37/a: 55576070 Carretera Federal México-Pachuca km. 42.5, Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia, México
38/a: 9343420791 Carretera Tenosique-La Palma km. 3.5, Guadalupe Victoria, Tenosique, Tabasco
39/a: 9191016083 Predio Toniná km.5, SIN, Ocosingo, Chiapas
40/a: 6151601183 Ejido San Lucas, Ejido San Lucas, Mulege, Baja California Sur
41/a: 29000703 Carretera a Tepic. Km. 9.5., Gpe. Victoria, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco
42/a: 6275253111 Niños Héroes, Almanceña, Hgo. del Parral, Chihuahua
43/a: NO CUENTA Tepalcatepec., Buenos Aires., Apatzingán, Michoacán
44/a: NO CUENTA Privada de Netzahualcóyotl, Barrio Chico, Miahuatlán, Oaxaca
45/a: NO CUENTA Esc. Médico Militar, Lomas de Nogales, Nogales, Sonora
46/a: 9717131447 Joaquín Amaro, Moderna, Cd. Ixtepec, Oaxaca

[Edited on 10-12-2021 by geoffff]

BajaBlanca - 10-12-2021 at 04:53 PM

We went by the checkpoint twice today and were waved thru both times. On our return trip headed north from San Ignacio, I asked to speak to the comandante.

They took down our names
license plate
and asked why I wanted to see him? I explained that there had been a lot of complaints of harassment and stolen money etc.

They asked to park ahead and soon the comandante came. Listened. Showed me the cameras as you leave the stop to which I responded: time to relook at all those tapes.

He did say that they were a new group - three days into the checkpoint watch.

As we were leaving, Les suggested that perhaps when the soldiers know they are about to leave, they get more aggressive? Just a thought but it makes sense to me.

This is the photo I took:

BajaBlanca - 10-12-2021 at 04:56 PM

For those who do not speak/read Spanish, it says that individuals are to open and close suitcases or personal belongings and that they strive for transparency.

Everyone needs to know to point to the sign (it is close to the little tienda selling water etc.).

David K - 10-12-2021 at 04:58 PM

The problems there go back years, even before my little problem there in 2015. Not the soldiers who are getting away with stuff but the head honcho at that point. It doesn't stop, or stop permanently.

Thanks for your efforts.

[Edited on 10-23-2021 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 10-12-2021 at 06:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The problems there ego back years, even before my little problem there in 2015. Not the soldiers who are getting away with stuff but the head honcho at that point. It doesn't stop, or stop permanently.

Thanks for your efforts.

[Edited on 10-12-2021 by David K]

I suspect that comandantes are rotated out periodically, like the grunts are rotated???

Howard - 10-12-2021 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
I not going to say anyone else is wrong. I’ll just say that we dive south to Los Cabos often. During these trips we have had generally good experiences at all of the checkpoints. We’ve seen other cars and trucks searched with various degrees of zeal. (None to extreme) We have been searched from not at all to so-so! That said they do seem to profile who they search and to what degree. They don’t seem to look in the places professionals hide stuff! It’s difficult to define exactly what their mission is!

All of the military personal have been professional and polite to us. While the police have occasionally asked for money, the military never has!

We could be the exception, but I doubt it!

I have been treated the same way as you at military checkpoints. I have driven everything form an old beat up RV to decent ones and cars as well.

Maybe we are the lucky ones, who knows? My arse puckers up a lot more when seeing a local policeman (other than in Loreto) more than at a military stop.

I am driving south next week and will report back.

willardguy - 10-12-2021 at 07:25 PM

never an issue with checkpoints but i've sure grown tired of em:( at Papa's every trip to the ranch meant two stops, no matter that you brought em a big ol' jug of coca cola. now on the other side everyday was a northbound stop at Popotla with a looong line, if a chica in the car you could bet they were singled out. with AMLO deciding military could be put to better use the checkpoint was abandoned but now back in operation they're open 2-3 times a week. no idea who makes that call?

esemjay1956 - 10-23-2021 at 06:59 AM

So just came through San Ignacio checkpoint on thursday...They apparently have got the msg on hasseling the people. Didn't even have to get out of the car, friendly as can be. I guess someone contacted the Govenors office and lodged a complaint. Hope this lasts a while....

vandy - 10-23-2021 at 09:49 AM

Yup, went through it south on Thursday, north on Friday.
Asked where I was going south, then cursory inspection going north. The one inspector left my backpack alone.
It's really a crap shoot.
I've been lucky with over 80 trips through San Ignacio, and no problems.

That said, I also put my phone in my pocket, leave nothing interesting in the front and glove box and console, and all small electronics and interesting stuff in the car back/trunk.
While they inspect, I stand at the left rear of the vehicle and don't get distracted.

Bear spray in the driver's door pocket seldom elicits any curiosity.

DIWR17 - 10-23-2021 at 10:27 AM

I posted my story about them on this forum 2 years ago. Same checkpoint same fat sergeant I'm sure. When I drive through now I keep all my cash and passport in my pants pocket on me. If any of those jokers try that, call the number on the post immediatly!!!!!! They will back off.

Be aware when you're going around the Todos Santos bypass, the local cops are staking that out too. They will accuse you of speeding in a 40km per hour zone. Just tell them to give you the ticket and they will back off as well.

Don't be intimidated, stand your ground but be nice.

pacificobob - 10-23-2021 at 03:30 PM

We went through the check point an hour ago. Zero issues.

Lee - 10-23-2021 at 03:58 PM

Yeah it's a roll of the die at SI. Only things that change there: good crew and bad crew. I've got stories I won't post here. Not to be trusted.

The Todos bypass is another one. Easy pickings. Be firm, stand your ground. Don't speed in this area.

Also past the ck point leaving La Paz, near the propane facility going to Todos all the way to Cheko's. Don't speed through San Pedro, either.

Cancamo - 11-9-2021 at 09:37 AM

North bound about 5 years ago at the SI checkpoint they took my Mexican friend into the trailer out back and strip searched him, bend over and all. He was peeed.

During the Reagan war on drugs in the 80's, in BCN there was a permanent checkpoint complete with men's and women's designated trailers for strip searching. They also had canines, very thorough, and intimidating. At that time it was staffed by green uniformed "Federales", no longer in operation.
As per posted signs, It was funded/subsidized by the US government.

Travel the interior of this country and you will encounter random military checkpoints in every state, more so in the problem areas. Now common most everywhere in Latin America.

Carol - 1-6-2022 at 10:11 PM

NB in car solo with Dog today. I rolled the windows down as i was driving in to the checkpoint (so they could do an easy visual). Took maybe 2 mins- they glanced in and once they established i had been on holidays they said have a good trip.

Howard - 1-7-2022 at 05:37 AM

Northbound a couple of weeks ago just a quick search and I was on my way. Polite and professional. Was waived through Southbound.