BajaNomad

FMM gripe

thebajarunner - 5-30-2022 at 04:25 PM

Thursday we have to fly down to Jalisco for a family event, my little bride comes from there....

So, having a valid FMM in my travel bag, purchased a couple months ago in Tecate for 500 pesos, and having a wife that is Mexico born, guess what??

Yep, American Airlines says I must have an FMM for each of us, nicely available on line for the tidy sum of $45 each, and yes, to be gathered up upon departure to preclude any further use.

And, of course, the extra irony, even though she carries a US passport the officials at the Baja border FMM office just wave her along "You are a Mexican, just keep moving along senora"

Grrrrrr.

Another FMM gripe...or at least a warning!

AKgringo - 5-30-2022 at 04:40 PM

On my last trip, I had very little hassle getting my FMM at Mexicali West. No line of traffic getting to the Migration facility, and the agent took my money, checked the form and my passport, and wished me a good visit.

It wasn't until much later that I realized the FMM was probably worthless, because he did not stamp it! Be sure and check yours before you leave the facility!

David K - 5-30-2022 at 06:22 PM

The flying FMM is (or was) a different form than the land travelers FMM. The way around this is to fly out of Tijuana.

I bought a flying FMM at the Ensenada airport when I arrived there by helicopter... It was only good for the 3 days of our flight down and back and was around US$40.

I think the logic is if you can fly your own aircraft in, you can afford that.

On the flight out, we had an additional passenger (Casey Currie) whose finger tip got cut off while surfing at Solosports (Punta San Carlos), so it was an emergency return to the hospital. He did not have his land FMM on him, or his cash... I paid the $40 they insisted he needed even though we were leaving Mexico. Lucky they didn't tack on a fine, as well!

surabi - 5-30-2022 at 06:44 PM

If your wife is a Mexican citizen (dual citizenship), she should fly to Mexico as a Mexican, using a Mexican passport. Then she won't be required to have a tourist visa.

I don't quite understand why this went down like this anyway. Almost no one boards a plane to Mexico with an FMM already in their possession, unless they are a temp or permanent resident, in which case they will have the other half of the FMM form that was retained by them when they flew out of Mexico.

Otherwise all tourists fill out the FMM form on the plane when they are passed out. And it is paid for as a separate charge on your ticket when you purchase it.

If you are a Mexican resident or citizen, you need to call the airline before you purchase the ticket and find out how they deduct the tourism tax. Some airlines deduct it when you purchase the ticket, in which case you have to book through their ticketing agent on the phone, not online. Some airlines reimburse it when you send a copy of your Mexican passport or residency card to their refunds department.

And some airlines will tell you they never heard of such a thing, in which case you inform them that it is illegal to add tourism tax to non-tourists and they will then either connect you with someone more knowlegable, or direct you to their refunds dept.

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by surabi]

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by surabi]

mtgoat666 - 5-31-2022 at 05:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Thursday we have to fly down to Jalisco for a family event, my little bride comes from there....

So, having a valid FMM in my travel bag, purchased a couple months ago in Tecate for 500 pesos, and having a wife that is Mexico born, guess what??

Yep, American Airlines says I must have an FMM for each of us, nicely available on line for the tidy sum of $45 each, and yes, to be gathered up upon departure to preclude any further use.

And, of course, the extra irony, even though she carries a US passport the officials at the Baja border FMM office just wave her along "You are a Mexican, just keep moving along senora"

Grrrrrr.

Actually, the fmm is single-entry visa. Mexico land borders sometime let things slide and allow multiple entries on one fmm.. the airlines follow the law and treat fmm as single entry form.

RFClark - 5-31-2022 at 07:55 AM

Goat,

Actually you’re wrong!(Imagine that!) The terrestrial visa says multiple entry and is good for up to 180 days! The fly in visa is a single entry visa also good for up to 180 days! The fly in visa is surrendered upon departure! You can have both visas at the same time! I have had both several times!

pacificobob - 5-31-2022 at 08:20 AM

Rfclark, it might be helpful if you post the text on the FMM that
addresses multiple entries.

AKgringo - 5-31-2022 at 08:30 AM

The second "M" is for multiple, indicating that it is used for multiple purposes.

I was asked once how long I would be in Mexico, and I told the agent "Only three weeks, but I would be returning a couple of months after that for another visit". He filled in 180 days and issued it to me with no mention of turning it in at the end of my first visit.

Purdyd - 5-31-2022 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
The applicant acknowledges herein that the FMM has a maximum validity of 180 calendar days and shall be valid for one entry only.

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by Purdyd]

mtgoat666 - 5-31-2022 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Goat,

Actually you’re wrong!(Imagine that!) The terrestrial visa says multiple entry and is good for up to 180 days! The fly in visa is a single entry visa also good for up to 180 days! The fly in visa is surrendered upon departure! You can have both visas at the same time! I have had both several times!

Show me a fmm form or regulation that says form is good for multiple entries.

RFClark - 5-31-2022 at 09:11 AM

Here you go! In Spanish on the Mexican Government Site!

Air only one entry!

Land multiple entries!

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/solicitud.html

John Harper - 5-31-2022 at 09:17 AM

In Spanish, for a Terrestre FMM:

El solicitante se da por enterado que la FMM tiene una vigencia máxima de 180 días naturales y podrá utilizarla para una sola internación.

In English, for a Land FMM:

"The applicant acknowledges herein that the FMM has a maximum validity of 180 calendar days and shall be valid for one entry only."

These are from the links above, one in English, the other Spanish.

John

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by John Harper]

David K - 5-31-2022 at 09:41 AM

Unlike the flying FMM, nobody collects the the driving FMM when you leave Mexico. Nobody in Mexico City knows if you leave before the 180 day period, so you simply use it as long as it is valid. But, by all means, buy a new one each time you go to Mexico.

RFClark - 5-31-2022 at 09:42 AM

From Bajabound.com

“ Can I use my FMM for multiple entries?

While the old law said that FMM tourist permits were only valid for one use into Mexico, the INM has recently said that FMM tourist permits can be used for multiple entries in and out of Mexico, through the end date of the permit.”

As with much else in Mexico the rules are often ambiguous! The changes seem to stem from 2015 when the free zones were dropped and the free 7 day FMM was required!

RFClark - 5-31-2022 at 09:45 AM

Personal experience being stopped in Baja Sur by INM my FMM and stamped passport were deemed valid!

pacificobob - 5-31-2022 at 09:51 AM

How is your Spanish Rf?

David K - 5-31-2022 at 09:54 AM

In 2016-2017, I bought two FMMs and made seven border crossings and drove over 12,000 miles in Baja. I was not asked to show either of them at any time... But, I was covered if I was!

John Harper - 5-31-2022 at 09:54 AM

Laws are unenforced, unequally enforced, or mis-enforced daily here in the United States. Any wonder it happens in other countries?

Still, try using Bajabound or personal experience as your defense in a court of law in Mexico. What do you think a judge would say?

After he stops laughing, of course.

John

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by John Harper]

sancho - 5-31-2022 at 09:55 AM

There was a post fb, on a guy going thru Mexicali West,
I assume crossing on off hrs. Had 14 people with him. They
requested the free 7 day fmm, were denied, Officer said
the 7 day had to be pre printed. They all paid for the 180 day
fmm. Told the bank was closed, they paid cash, no receipt.
So, if the Officer wanted, he could pocket the $500 usd,
and enter 15 free fmm's into the system. The newer program
that allows expired fmm holders, the chance to get temp
residency, a Mex facilitator found a guy's 180 day fmm
had been entered asa free 7 day fmm. I mistakenly believed
Mex Imm was a bit above this

mtgoat666 - 5-31-2022 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Unlike the flying FMM, nobody collects the the driving FMM when you leave Mexico. Nobody in Mexico City knows if you leave before the 180 day period, so you simply use it as long as it is valid. But, by all means, buy a new one each time you go to Mexico.

The OP was complaining that international flight into mexico was charging him for a visa, and airline was not following the informal customs and lax enforcement common of land xings.
Land xing is less formal, so we “recycle” our FMMs until they expire,… doesn’t mean it’s legal! But it is economical, and is good for us that live by the credo reduce-reuse-recycle

Purdyd - 5-31-2022 at 10:50 AM

See now I’m curious for the simple practical reason that you need a valid FMM for vehicle insurance.

I can find websites where I can, and can’t use the FMM multiple times for land crossings.

The back of the FMM says single use as does the official Mexican website.

But I did find this. Which claims for Baja Norte at least reuse is valid.

55FC61EB-EA1A-41C4-A292-46610AF719C9.jpeg - 135kB

David K - 5-31-2022 at 10:56 AM

If it's on the Internet, it's gotta be true! (ya, I know) :lol:

thebajarunner - 5-31-2022 at 12:14 PM

Well, this post has actually stayed on topic!! A new era dawning on Nomad??

I have been flying and driving to Mexico for a very long time
This is the first time that the airlines did not collect the FMM fee and then we filled out the actual doc on our fold down tray just before landing.

Actually , this is better, I suppose.

FYI I am attaching the email that they sent along with the two FMMs
I did separate apps. Maybe a real person is monitoring this, from reading the mail. They actually managed to group the two together into one send. (making the Goat happy, since they are exercising good economy of management)

Hello Richard,

Please save the attached Tourist Cards for Mexico/FMM, and print them out. (we are attaching also Teresa’s one)

You will be required to show them to the federal immigration agent at the airport, who will stamp and authorize your entry into Mexico. From that moment, you have 180 days to transit and visit Mexico. The page of entry will be taken from a federal immigration agent.

Please remember that you must keep the part that corresponds to the exit registration in which the immigration entry stamp is recorded since it is evidence of your regular stay in the country and will be required when leaving Mexico.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us here.

We wish you safe travels and Happy moments in Mexico.

Best regards,
MexicoFMM.org

surabi - 5-31-2022 at 12:45 PM

"This is the first time that the airlines did not collect the FMM fee and then we filled out the actual doc on our fold down tray just before landing."

I have always had the tourist tax show as a charge on the airline ticket and always had them hand out the FMMs on the plane to fill out before landing.
Probably at least a dozen flights into Mexico, with various airlines, and it has always been exactly the same.

RFClark - 5-31-2022 at 01:40 PM

PB,

My Spanish is good enough to have built a couple of houses and worked legally in Mexico for over 30 years. I’ve also accompanied Mexican National Customs Brokers to meetings with the Mexican Government Customs Officials enough times to understand that the “Law” is what the person there says it is today and it can all be different tomorrow.

The issue here seems to be differences in how it’s done in Baja and Baja Sur compared to the rest of Mexico. The Mexican States have INM delegates who seem to have a major say regarding interpretation and enforcement of the INM rules in their states. There doesn’t seem to be anything like that in the US! Then there are the special rules covering the Bajas and Northern Sonora that superseded general Mexican law and practice.

In Baja North the INM agent who issues you your FMM also collects the money ditto for paying duties. The Hacienda has a window where they take your payment and give you a document showing what was imported, the value and the duty. Many years ago you did pay at a bank near the customs office not anymore.

I’ve never been charged extra for a FMM by an air carrier either and have always surrendered it when I flew out. The cruse ships apparently have even stranger FMM rules!

In the past Mexico City did have a $20 departure tax that they collected separate from your FMM!

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by RFClark]

SFandH - 5-31-2022 at 01:56 PM

PB,

The Mexican States have INM delegates who seem to have a major say regarding interpretation and enforcement of the INM rules in their states.

I remember that several years ago the INM chief for Baja California said that the FMM can be used for multiple entries. That was when they started requiring pedestrians to get them. No more just walking into Mex, at least not at San Ysidro, they check. I don't know what the other states do and the next BC chief could change things.

So the rules differ and often the person you are talking to decides what they are. Of course.

thebajarunner - 5-31-2022 at 02:02 PM

My understanding was that the airlines included the FMM fee in your basic ticket. That is why you did not see a separate line.

This new policy seems to be an offshoot of the COVID plague

We leave later this week, a couple days ago American Air sent me a pre-flight check list.
Never have seen that before.

It gave a status report of vacc, mask, and related rules
It was in checklist format, but each line indicated "not required" at the present time.

Then it stated very clearly that I must go on line and get my FMM, and pay the $44.80 fee by paypal or credit card.

That is what got is here.

Purdyd - 5-31-2022 at 03:48 PM

If American Airlines is not including the FMM fee that is essentially an airfare increase.

Thanks for the heads up

I can’t find anything official about using the FMM more then once to enter.

Once

https://www.gob.mx/inm/articulos/agiliza-tu-entrada-a-mexico...

Fees

https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachment/file/120801/LFD_20...

Howard - 5-31-2022 at 03:56 PM

bajarunner, maybe I missed it but where are you flying from, Mexico or the USA?

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by Howard]

thebajarunner - 5-31-2022 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
bajarunner, maybe I missed it but where are you flying from, Mexico or the USA?

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by Howard]

Phoenix to Guadalajara
Family fiesta in the old home town of Mascota for my little better half
(Yes, she is still a Mexican citizen, no she does not have a current Mexican pasaport- so the book says she needs to pay up)

And yeah, it is definitely a sneaky little fare increase when they don't disclose this until after tickets are paid and issued, then comes the check list.

surabi - 5-31-2022 at 04:23 PM

"My understanding was that the airlines included the FMM fee in your basic ticket. That is why you did not see a separate line."

That has always been my experience. But if you click where you can see a breakdown of the ticket price, you do see a separate line. It will give the base price of the ticket, taxes and fees, fuel surcharge, and Mexican tourism tax (that is the FMM cost).

[Edited on 6-1-2022 by surabi]

RFClark - 5-31-2022 at 05:29 PM

SF&H,

All that stopped in 2015! That’s also when the Baja North INM delegate said multiple entries on your FMM were OK.

Purdyd - 5-31-2022 at 05:55 PM

SF&H,

All that stopped in 2015! That’s also when the Baja North INM delegate said multiple entries on your FMM were OK.

Well I’ve been paying for my FMM on many flights as part of the airfare since 2015 including this flight in February.

6D0D54D8-0618-4AB6-A7A1-178C6CBA34A0.jpeg - 64kB

And I just looked at the airfare to Cabo on American Airlines and it included the tourist fee.

so I would double check if you needed to pay for the FMM separately.

You should have a receipt.

[Edited on 6-1-2022 by Purdyd]

BajaMama - 6-1-2022 at 08:32 AM

Last time I flew to Mexico was April 2018 (landed in Cancun for some Mayan architecture fun). That time, as every time I have flown to Mexico, I was given the FMM form on the flight - the price is included in the ticket - to fill out and was directed to immigration upon landing to get it and my passport stamped. And each and every time I have been required to turn in the FMM before boarding the return flight.

David K - 6-1-2022 at 09:11 AM

Discover Baja Travel Club (and others) do, as well... a fee for their service is added to the tourist tax (FMM cost).

David K - 6-1-2022 at 09:26 AM

Well, you need to ask them... but from what I have read on their newsletters, they buy them in bulk from the Mexican consulate. Naturally, one must stop at the border going south, to get them stamped and validated as they are just blank forms otherwise.

Alan - 6-1-2022 at 09:41 AM

Everyone here is a Mexico aficionado yet you are still trying to find consistency even though you have learned time after time the law is what the official you are facing at that moment says it is :lol:

mtgoat666 - 6-1-2022 at 10:39 AM

so do some googling. apparently you can get your online form free.
here is a free fmm form:

https://www.cancunairport.com/tourist-card.html

UAL website says fmm form is free, and has links:
Mexico online entry forms
If you’re traveling to Mexico, you can fill out the required customs declaration and immigration form online before your trip instead of filling out paper forms in flight. It’s free and saves you time when you arrive in Mexico.

The immigration form is also available in English, Spanish or Japanese. If you don’t see your destination when filling out either form, please complete the paper forms in flight.

Due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, all travelers entering Mexico from another country are required to complete a health questionnaire, which can also be submitted online.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/destination/inte...

[Edited on 6-1-2022 by mtgoat666]

karenintx - 6-1-2022 at 01:12 PM

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.  All of this is behind the scenes transactions that most airline passengers are not aware of.

1.  All airlines that fly into a foreign country are required by that country's INM laws to charge a tourist tax on all airline passengers, which is included in your airline ticket.  You may have to look at the "fine print or itemized charges".
2.  The foreign country that is charging the tourist tax will then bill each airline for the number of passengers that are on the inbound flight.  Trust me the foreign country knows how many passengers are on the inbound plane!!  This information is sent to the foreign country by the time the airplane leaves or soon after it takes off from its departing city to go to the foreign country.  
3. Most airlines are trying very hard to go paperless...hence the message to go to a website to download the tourist form, in this case Mexico.  Yes, to PRINT the tourist form is "free" but YOU have already purchased the tourist tax in your airline ticket.  Again, airlines are trying not to have these forms on the planes plus the foreign countries do not want to continue the expense of supplying these forms to the passengers.
4. By INM Law...when a passenger flies out of the foreign country (returning to their homeland) the airlines are required by INM Law to collect the bottom portion of the tourist form.  The airlines do not want your FMM form...they are doing it because it is the INM Law of Mexico. 

Driving across the border and flying are TWO different things.  Keeping your 180 day FMM tourist form for border crossing is legal when driving however under no circumstances do you want to walk off of a plane then hand your 180 FMM tourist form you got at the border to an airport INM agent nor do you want to argue with the agent.  I mean, you can do this but the law is on the airport INM agent's side. 

It might not seem fair to you BUT it is legal that you pay the tourist tax (included in your ticket) when you fly!! 

Now, if you are able to get the airlines to "reimburse" you for the tourist tax because you hold an R/P, T/P or a MX passport, then go for it.  But this is normally done after you travel and not while trying to purchase the ticket.

David K - 6-1-2022 at 01:23 PM

Right on Karen in Texas!

Purdyd - 6-1-2022 at 02:05 PM

Thanks Karen,

And this is out of date.

Quote:
Due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, all travelers entering Mexico from another country are required to complete a health questionnaire, which can also be submitted online.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/destination/inte...

https://aviso.vuelaseguro.com/

E9C28AE0-C4DD-4420-94E3-5180F5052C76.jpeg - 116kB

surabi - 6-1-2022 at 03:28 PM

"Now, if you are able to get the airlines to "reimburse" you for the tourist tax because you hold an R/P, T/P or a MX passport, then go for it. But this is normally done after you travel and not while trying to purchase the ticket."

Well, Westjet requires passengers who are not subject to tourist tax to contact them BEFORE booking the ticket. You get them to do the booking for you and they deduct it from the ticket price.
And it is illegal for Mexico to charge tourism tax to non-tourists.

karenintx - 6-1-2022 at 03:44 PM

Purdyd = That is correct on health questionnaire...use to have to fill this out upon arriving and departing. One month ago when we flew into SJD, upon landing all passengers were informed by a SJD airport employee they had to wear a mask while in the airport. We flew out of SJD last week and the airport still required wearing a face mask, once on the plane the mask was not required.

surabi = Every airline is different. Some require passengers to fill the form out when departing, some not. I personally do not know every airlines rules that is why I said normally. Every passenger should know what their airline rules are for reimbursement.

karenintx - 6-1-2022 at 04:24 PM

Actually the law reads..."All Mexican citizens and residents are exempted from paying a Mexican Tourist Tax."

The Mexican Government doesn't care if Mexican citizens/residents have to pay a Tourist Tax when flying into Mexico...that's more money in their pockets. Their just saying "you are legally exempted from paying a Tourist Tax."

Purdyd - 6-1-2022 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by karenintx  
Purdyd = That is correct on health questionnaire...use to have to fill this out upon arriving and departing.

Yes I flew into baja in February and out in March, which is when I discovered the health questionnaire was no longer required.

mtgoat666 - 6-1-2022 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
The Mexican Government doesn't care if Mexican citizens/residents have to pay a Tourist Tax when flying into Mexico...that's more money in their pockets.

Personally, I have no quarrel with the Mexican Government on this issue; it's the airlines collecting it, and since the overwhelming majority of southbound fliers are liable for the tax, the simplest thing is for them to require the few of us who aren't, to demonstrate we are exempt. To the airline.

The problem is with those (clueless?) airlines who make that process difficult. I've had good experiences with Alaska Air.

Sounds like the victims have good cause for a class-action lawsuit re over-charging!
Seems to me the airlines could make their purchase portals quite easily have a citizenship/visa check box so you would get billed for proper amount at time of purchase.

bajatrailrider - 6-2-2022 at 12:07 PM

All airlines cheat you anyway they can. Easy fix when they do this pay with CC. After you land stop payment dispute on CC. sadly I had to do this 4 times now.

Timinator - 6-3-2022 at 06:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
On my last trip, I had very little hassle getting my FMM at Mexicali West. No line of traffic getting to the Migration facility, and the agent took my money, checked the form and my passport, and wished me a good visit.

It wasn't until much later that I realized the FMM was probably worthless, because he did not stamp it! Be sure and check yours before you leave the facility!

PLEASE HELP ME! Where is the Immigration office when crossing at Mexicali West? We were unable to find it after driving around in Mexicali for 2 hours! I was told once in BOLA that it's before your go through the border? Is that right? We passed through the border crossing, then immediately the road splits into 3 or 4 road/offramps to take you different places. There was nothging immediately after crossing.

David K - 6-3-2022 at 07:08 AM

The INM desk is inside the FIRST BUILDING inside Mexico (always)...
There is parking on the left BEFORE the electric gates (red/ green light). If you miss being in the left or there are no spots to park, simply park after the electric gates, even along the street, and walk over to that building... and inside, by the north entrance is the INM (migra) desk.

Sky View:

David K - 6-3-2022 at 07:21 AM

See INM office listed? Covered parking on the north side?

Timinator - 6-3-2022 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The INM desk is inside the FIRST BUILDING inside Mexico (always)...
There is parking on the left BEFORE the electric gates (red/ green light). If you miss being in the left or there are no spots to park, simply park after the electric gates, even along the street, and walk over to that building... and inside, by the north entrance is the INM (migra) desk.

Thank you. I just looked on Google maps and enlarged it. I see it now. What a cluster F that was.

mtgoat666 - 6-3-2022 at 07:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  

PLEASE HELP ME! Where is the Immigration office when crossing at Mexicali West? We were unable to find it after driving around in Mexicali for 2 hours! I was told once in BOLA that it's before your go through the border? Is that right? We passed through the border crossing, then immediately the road splits into 3 or 4 road/offramps to take you different places. There was nothging immediately after crossing.

The immigration desk is in the building on east side of crossing lights/gates/guards. You can try to park on usa side of this building, under canopy,… but sometimes the guards chase you off and say this area is only for “something to declare” parking. Alternate parking is on left just past the lights/gates. When crowded, you may need to park creatively or double park. In case of double parking, leave someone with vehicle (take turns going inside to get fmm).

I don’t know why the border xings are not set up with better parking/instructions for visitors to get fmms. Otay used to have a large parking lot that was easy to park when going into do biz,… not sure if that lot is still there, been many years since I used Otay going southbound.

AKgringo - 6-3-2022 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The immigration desk is in the building on east side of crossing lights/gates/guards. You can try to park on usa side of this building, under canopy,… but sometimes the guards chase you off and say this area is only for “something to declare” parking. Alternate parking is on left just past the lights/gates. When crowded, you may need to park creatively or double park. In case of double parking, leave someone with vehicle (take turns going inside to get fmm).

I don’t know why the border xings are not set up with better parking/instructions for visitors to get fmms. Otay used to have a large parking lot that was easy to park when going into do biz,… not sure if that lot is still there, been many years since I used Otay going southbound.

Thanks for bringing up the "something to declare" issue. I had used the covered parking spot when getting my FMM on prior trips, and thought I was in the right spot. On the last trip, when I came out of the office with the FMM, there were a couple of agents (or soldiers?) waiting to inspect my Trooper.

It was no big deal, and I got a very minimal search, possibly because of the big dog in my car. Apparently the shaded parking is for the agents, not the tourists!

mtgoat666 - 6-3-2022 at 08:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Thanks for bringing up the "something to declare" issue. I had used the covered parking spot when getting my FMM on prior trips, and thought I was in the right spot. On the last trip, when I came out of the office with the FMM, there were a couple of agents (or soldiers?) waiting to inspect my Trooper.

It was no big deal, and I got a very minimal search, possibly because of the big dog in my car. Apparently the shaded parking is for the agents, not the tourists!

When I was scolded for parking there, I deduced that the north side parking is for people declaring imported stuff and going inside building to do paperwork.
The parking on south side past the gates is very limited,… last time there we had to double-park. Looking at the cars parked there, I estimated 80% of parking was taken up by govt trucks,…. They really make it difficult for people to do the right thing and get an fmm

bajatrailrider - 6-3-2022 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
All airlines cheat you anyway they can. Easy fix when they do this pay with CC. After you land stop payment dispute on CC. sadly I had to do this 4 times now.

What had you done to inform them of your tax-exempt status before you disputed the charge?
lLencho none of my disputes where about that. The good news I won all 4 disputes . As the problems they made unacceptable to me. Then they lied to CC on Dispute haha . When I send cel phone picture OPPS they got got. Money not returned to them there all cheats .

Alm - 6-13-2022 at 06:27 PM

Keeping your 180 day FMM tourist form for border crossing is legal when driving however under no circumstances do you want to walk off of a plane then hand your 180 FMM tourist form you got at the border to an airport INM agent nor do you want to argue with the agent. 

Now I am confused. When you walk off a plane in Mexico and their customs issue FMM that you've already paid for, why - and HOW - would you want to get another FMM at the land border while still in the country?

OTH, if you got FMM at the land border, it doesn't say that you can't give it to airport INM when leaving Mexico. Maybe this is so, I don't know, never heard about it, there are some obscure laws that we don't know about.

surabi - 6-13-2022 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Keeping your 180 day FMM tourist form for border crossing is legal when driving however under no circumstances do you want to walk off of a plane then hand your 180 FMM tourist form you got at the border to an airport INM agent nor do you want to argue with the agent. 

Now I am confused. When you walk off a plane in Mexico and their customs issue FMM that you've already paid for, why - and HOW - would you want to get another FMM at the land border while still in the country?

OTH, if you got FMM at the land border, it doesn't say that you can't give it to airport INM when leaving Mexico. Maybe this is so, I don't know, never heard about it, there are some obscure laws that we don't know about.

Yes, you are confused. She was talking about trying to use a tourist card you were issued when you drove into Mexico some time ago, and then drove out again. She's right- you can't use that same tourist card, even if it isn't expired, to fly back into Mexico.

But certainly you can hand it in at the airport if you drove in and are flying out.

And BTW, only in Baja do they let you drive in and drive out and drive back in on the same tourist card. Baja INM operates outside the actual law. It says right on the tourist card that it is only valid for the length of your stay. That means when you drive out, that card is then invalid.66

gnukid - 6-13-2022 at 08:08 PM

When you fly, if you are exempt from tourist tax, as a resident or National, you may request a voluntary tax refund form, from any terminal gate agent, not outside the terminal where you enter,. The voluntary tax refund form should include your ticket number and name etc and the tax will be refunded to the original form of payment, usually CC. The forms may be found usually in a drawer inside the terminal with any gate agent for the airline you are flying, who has responsibility to complete the form and give you a copy. Not sure why it is done this way, but that is how it has always been, the refund will occur quickly, in a few days at most.

surabi - 6-13-2022 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
When you fly, if you are exempt from tourist tax, as a resident or National, you may request a voluntary tax refund form, from any terminal gate agent, not outside the terminal where you enter,. The voluntary tax refund form should include your ticket number and name etc and the tax will be refunded to the original form of payment, usually CC. The forms may be found usually in a drawer inside the terminal with any gate agent for the airline you are flying, who has responsibility to complete the form and give you a copy. Not sure why it is done this way, but that is how it has alwaysmade me been, the refund will occur quickly, in a few days at most.

That is how some airlines do it, not all. Not all have the forms at the gates. Alaska did, Westjet makes you call them before you book the ticket, and they adjust the ticket price before you pay for it. And Air Canada made me send a copy of my residency after the flight. And in neither of those cases, nor when filling out the tax form with Alaska, did I get reeimbursed in a matter of days.

gnukid - 6-14-2022 at 10:42 AM

Yes, there are many methods to get reimbursed prior to and after the flight, all require your action and persistence, to demonstrate the qualification for voluntary tax refund and the airline has an obligation to provide the refund in a timely manner.

I suppose I have had success because I am persistent to make sure I get it done in writing, I usually take the time to pursue it while I wait for my flight, both in person to locate an agent with the form and to confirm with the airline in writing with a picture of the form and I keep the receipt until I get a refund, which happens quickly.

bajatrailrider - 6-14-2022 at 05:38 PM

You seem to be lucky dealing with airlines. When they play there games I dont have time. To wait for refund or call the no answer phone number. Much more easy make it there problem after reverse charges. Now they need work to get money lie and cheat is what they do. It is funny when they say I was not at airport for my flight. Then cel phone picture with date and time at airport. Then they offer a part of the refund. State that is there policy :bounce: so sorry my policy you dont get PD. Thank you wells fargo agree to it.

Villas - 6-14-2022 at 07:25 PM

I just confirmed that I was successful in changing my country of residence status with united awhile back and my tickets no longer have the tourism tax, have requested refunds for previous ones, will see how well that goes

My billing info is still all NOB

AZ7000 - 7-6-2022 at 05:14 PM

My Gripe os the algodones crossing going south. The guy is a pain in the ass, has been for years. Buy your FMM online? he will take it from you, one time only he says. If you buy the fancy printed one from him you can use it 6 months. Don't mention you have a place in Baja, he basically wasn't going to let us in without the resident card. Every time it is a hassle and we have cards. At leads the military points out the low tree branch/trunk so I don't destroy the top of the MH!

We usually head south at Mexicali East for a year or so and fight the afternoon traffic, always north at Algones with the motorhome, otherwise sentry at M East. After a year or so we try Algodones south and the same hassle. Working on the temp resident card now...

Villas - 7-6-2022 at 09:23 PM

I was successful, submitted all my flights for the past 1 1/2 prior to my residence update with United,, all flights refunded, I am happy, just took a short while to confirm my residency status was updated, and request the refunds,
am a happy camper,

Now to next step, citizenship!