BajaNomad

Buying in Mulege (The Orchards?)

BajaBuddies - 12-22-2022 at 07:48 PM

Hi All,

My fiancé and I are looking at properties for purchase in Baja and found a casita for sale in The Orchards in Mulege that ticks all of the boxes from what we can tell. We were in Mulege last year and really like the town and community, so we were excited to find a property in our budget in the area.

We are aware of the risk of flooding and have read up on the seemingly semi-annual storms and especially Hurricane John in 2006, which looks like it more or less leveled the community.

Before we make it too far into the purchase process, we would love to pick someone's brain who is familiar with The Orchards community - maybe a resident? We would be happy to chat on the phone if that is more your style! We have a few big questions below that we are hoping to dig into.

We really appreciate the input!

---Insurance---
-If if it floods (as I have heard it does relatively regularly), will insurance cover all damage including total loss?
-Does any one have personal experience with making an insurance claim for full or partial loss/damage- maybe someone who lived in the Orchards in 2006 and had to use insurance to rebuild your home?

----Airplane-----
-When we stayed at Hotel Serenided last March we noticed a nice airstrip adjacent to the hotel. Does anyone know if it's okay to store a small Cessna there for a few months at a time?

----Community----
-Does anyone on the board actively live in the Orchards? We are hoping for any additional insight into management, HOA, quality of life, etc.

Mulege Canuck - 12-23-2022 at 12:05 PM

Hola

I own a place in the Oasis. I have had my underwater home for 8 years. The first year we had hurricane Odile. Our place is simple concrete block construction. The flood water did not reach the ceiling. We had insurance and it more than covered the clean up costs.

In the Oasis we refer to the Orchard as “our first line of defence” since the flood waters hit harder there given the narrower part of the Rio in that location.

We love our place. I know a lot of people who live in the Orchard and have gone through numerous hurricanes. They still love their homes. Those little places must have been built well.

My advice is to get in cheap, buy insurance and drink more if it floods😎

4x4abc - 12-23-2022 at 03:10 PM

numerous societies around the world have learned to build houses that can deal with frequent flooding. Learn from them and you'll be just fine in the Orchard. The amount of flood water generated in the watershed behind Mulege is incredible. The high position of the Mission and the village houses in Mulege tell you how to deal with it best. If you insist on living/building in the area where the flood waters are 8 ft hight you'll have to spend some extra money to protect your furniture. And you may want to plan for the 15 ft flood waters.

[Edited on 12-24-2022 by 4x4abc]

Cancamo - 12-23-2022 at 03:58 PM

Beyond the inevitable flooding threat, the other consideration I would have is; isn't most of that ground held on a lease basis?
I have known folks whom have had a place on the river there, (some built pretty elaborate homes), none of them had an escritura, or fideicomiso, just a long term lease agreement with the legal owner.

Something to consider if that's the case. People change, re-marry, pass on and leave to heirs, and the original agreement/lease could change. Although there have been long term successful leases in this country, the failed ones are well documented, and not just on Ejido land.

Due diligence is in order here. Like the above entry, if you cannot get title of what you are buying, and you are determined to follow through with it, you better get it super cheap.

gnukid - 12-23-2022 at 04:25 PM

Why not live where it doesn't flood? It would be easier? Baja has tons of open spaces even beach front for cheap?

baja-chris - 12-23-2022 at 05:24 PM

I would be shocked if flood insurance can still be purchased in that floodplain after so many losses the last 20 years.

Regarding aircraft, there have been several stolen from that strip over the years and even some taken at gunpoint. Make sure you can insure that as well.

Beautiful place BTW.

pacificobob - 12-23-2022 at 05:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
numerous societies around the world have learned to build houses that can deal with frequent flooding. Learn from them and you'll be just fine in the Orchard. The amount of flood water generated in the watershed behind Mulege is is devastating. The position of the Mission and the village houses in Mulege tell you how to deal with it best. If you insist on living/building in the are where the flood waters are 8 ft hight you'll have to spend some extra money to protect your furniture. And you may want to plan for the 15 ft flood waters.

Excellent council. Consider placing the living space 15' above the river level. the additional cost for peace of mind.. Just wise to consider imo.

pacificobob - 12-23-2022 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Why not live where it doesn't flood? It would be easier? Baja has tons of open spaces even beach front for cheap?

A valid point. However, i totally get the attraction of the desert oasis.
If enough water is available, you can grow your own oasis (think tree shade canopy) from scrub desert in 10 years.

Mulege Canuck - 12-23-2022 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baja-chris  
I would be shocked if flood insurance can still be purchased in that floodplain after so many losses the last 20 years.

Regarding aircraft, there have been several stolen from that strip over the years and even some taken at gunpoint. Make sure you can insure that as well.

Beautiful place BTW.

I know it is crazy but you can buy insurance still. In Canada or the US you would be uninsurable if you live on a floodplain. My insurance is backed by Loyds of London, so you will get paid out. I have only put a claim in for Odile. The other smaller hurricanes resulted in just a little mud in the yard, so it was not worth it with the deductible.

Like I said, get it for nothing, store your stuff above the floodplain when you are not there. It is pretty nice to have city power and water, walk 30 m to the Rio.

In my opinion, to buy anything in Mexico you have to get it for next to nothing. If after 8 years you have lease problems or Ejido issues, etc. you just walk away. Investing in Mexico is crazy. I guess I am a little nuts or I just love Margaritas and Tacos de pescado.

Cliffy - 12-23-2022 at 08:38 PM

Its been said many times here-
Invest only as much as you are willing to walk away from at a total loss

I too looked at that area (twice) and decided it wasn't for me JMO
I'm a pilot also and storing an airplane there is not on my RADAR.

mtgoat666 - 12-23-2022 at 09:53 PM

Why not live where it doesn't flood?

Some people like to live in flood zones. Whatever floats your boat!

pacificobob - 12-24-2022 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

I too looked at that area (twice) and decided it wasn't for me JMO
I'm a pilot also and storing an airplane there is not on my RADAR.

Especially aircraft such as cessna 206, Cherokee 6, ect that are popular for relocating contraband. A large chain around the prop is helpful.

4x4abc - 12-24-2022 at 01:47 PM

Mexicans will take anything, any time, if it is not chained to concrete

Lee - 12-24-2022 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

No disrespect intended. This is the stupidest idea I keep running across.

As if buying/building a home on leased land isn't really stupid, be prepared to walk away from thousands of dollars/pesos. I wouldn't walk away from or risk $1,000 in a real estate deal. Guess for those with lots of money, or don't value money, it doesn't matter. Then there's the questionable common sense issue.

Also, building in a flood zone? Bat poop crazy. Throw caution to the wind? Oh yeah, it's Baja.

surabi - 12-24-2022 at 07:53 PM

"In my opinion, to buy anything in Mexico you have to get it for next to nothing. If after 8 years you have lease problems or Ejido issues, etc. you just walk away. Investing in Mexico is crazy. "

BS. Leasing or buying something on Ejido land is what's crazy or what you have to be prepared to walk away from. My property was regularized when I bought it, and it's in a bank trust. My investment has provided me witha beautiful place to live for 16 years and if I ever decide to move back to Canada, I will see a good profit when I sell it.

At the very least I will get back every penny I put into it. Investing in Mexican property has been profitable for everyone I know as long as they did their due diligence before they bought.

[Edited on 12-25-2022 by surabi]

pacificobob - 12-24-2022 at 11:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
"In my opinion, to buy anything in Mexico you have to get it for next to nothing. If after 8 years you have lease problems or Ejido issues, etc. you just walk away. Investing in Mexico is crazy. "

BS. Leasing or buying something on Ejido land is what's crazy or what you have to be prepared to walk away from. My property was regularized when I bought it, and it's in a bank trust. My investment has provided me witha beautiful place to live for 16 years and if I ever decide to move back to Canada, I will see a good profit when I sell it.

At the very least I will get back every penny I put into it. Investing in Mexican property has been profitable for everyone I know as long as they did their due diligence before they bought.

[Edited on 12-25-2022 by surabi]

Quite right. My investment in Mexico has served me well.

HeyMulegeScott - 12-26-2022 at 09:58 AM

In the Orchards you buy the land not a lease like the Oasis.

Flooding is a fact of life in Mulege. Most of the houses are two story and people will have their furniture moved up to the second story or put in storage. Friends who live there tell me the clean up is pretty easy and done for you at a reasonable price. They faired well this past season despite flooding.

Yes there is an HOA and a nice community. I would ask on the Mulege News Facebook group and you will get more information vs. opinions here from people who don't live in the area.

gnukid - 12-26-2022 at 04:48 PM

A friend moved here last year and wanted to buy a house, I went with him on home tours, after a grueling day he put in an offer on beach front home on three lots with pool etc. It is beautiful, though it turned out to be a high traffic beach on weekend nights for locals which made it unpleasant living, he put it up sale in less than 1 year and sold it to the first person who came doubling his US1.2 million investment to US2.5 million US in just one year, he bought another house nearby in a more established neighborhood 1 block up from the beach for US$600k all inside a 45 day closing period. The property was 3 lots held in corp, which is a hassle and there are rumors that homes held under corps must be used as a business at least 1 week a year.

The vast majority of sales in Baja begin as Ejido sales, person to person with no agents, which can be far more secure form of buying than any other option in Baja. Depending on the type of parcel, uso comun is disputable, Ejido Parcels are not disputable and are protected at a super federal level. Research Ejido properties to learn more.

Fidicomiso becomes quite expensive to setup and make payments over time, as well to close later at sale. Over 20 years the costs may exceed US20k for an inexpensive home or more for an expensive home.

pacificobob - 12-27-2022 at 08:15 AM

Lots of people making handsome profits on Mexican real estate.

HeyMulegeScott - 12-27-2022 at 08:38 AM

The vast majority of sales in Baja begin as Ejido sales, person to person with no agents, which can be far more secure form of buying than any other option in Baja. Depending on the type of parcel, uso comun is disputable, Ejido Parcels are not disputable and are protected at a super federal level. Research Ejido properties to learn more.

This sound like horrible advice.

Lee - 12-27-2022 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  

Not bad advice at all.

If you follow the ''chain of title'' for the past 25 years, at least in the Todos area, Ejido owned the land and if you were a buyer, you dealt with the Seller, the Ejido. Didn't mean you wouldn't need a Notario.

For Buyers who didn't know MX real estate, a local real estate agent could be helpful.

A risky proposition in the 90s, in the Todos area, was Buyers buying from Ejido, who didn't have title. Property was sold on the promise that when Title came in, it would be transferred to the new Owner.

Marty Mateo - 12-27-2022 at 12:14 PM

W.T.F. , might be time to leave Mexico with that kind of attitude

gnukid - 12-27-2022 at 07:52 PM

More so, introducing an agent, notario and lawyer increases costs exponentially and potential for errors. I review RE paperwork in Baja for friends and associates and those generated by agents and lawyers have significant errors, worse, they could care less and resolving later is costly.

The vast majority of RE agents in Baja have no specific knowledge or experience in the actual process, they never go to la Paz or any municipal office, they just insert themselves among friends and associates hoping to double end % a deal, meaning they have no possibility of fiduciary responsibility and provide no value while increasing costs and risks.

This is not advise, its' a statement of fact, the vast majority of real estate sales %80+ in BCS are ejido constancia parcel person to person. Not titled. Constancia Parcel is far more secure than titled property through notario with fidicomiso. Everyone should make their own decision based on their own desires, interests, experience and situation. Fidicomiso is a nightmare and makes no sense.

[Edited on 12-28-2022 by gnukid]

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2022 at 09:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marty Mateo  
W.T.F. , might be time to leave Mexico with that kind of attitude

Well, it’s a very true statement regarding the more populated areas. The only place you can leave valuables unattended is in the rural sticks and tiniest villages.
If you live in La Paz or Rosarito or Ensenada, you should build a wall, lock the gate, and put a chastity belt on your boyfriend!

HeyMulegeScott - 12-29-2022 at 12:52 PM

More so, introducing an agent, notario and lawyer increases costs exponentially and potential for errors. I review RE paperwork in Baja for friends and associates and those generated by agents and lawyers have significant errors, worse, they could care less and resolving later is costly.

The vast majority of RE agents in Baja have no specific knowledge or experience in the actual process, they never go to la Paz or any municipal office, they just insert themselves among friends and associates hoping to double end % a deal, meaning they have no possibility of fiduciary responsibility and provide no value while increasing costs and risks.

This is not advise, its' a statement of fact, the vast majority of real estate sales %80+ in BCS are ejido constancia parcel person to person. Not titled. Constancia Parcel is far more secure than titled property through notario with fidicomiso. Everyone should make their own decision based on their own desires, interests, experience and situation. Fidicomiso is a nightmare and makes no sense.

[Edited on 12-28-2022 by gnukid]

This sounds like BS if you talking about foreigners purchasing property but go ahead and provide some links to your facts.

PaulW - 12-30-2022 at 09:36 AM

What Gnukid said regarding how Ejido property is sold is correct.

If one is a person that is not part of the ejido and buys property from the ejido there is a process where a non ejido property owner can register the property with the state authorities to result in a degree of property protection. I doubt that doing this is a DIY process and help would be needed.
I guess that registration would be similar to the protection one gets from a title search and property registration for non ejido purchase?

BajaTed - 12-30-2022 at 11:39 AM

There are NO guarantees whom your dealing with from an Ejido is who they say they are and they have the responsibility, authority or accountability they say they do.

A fideocomiso eliminates that scenario.

End goal is to have your name in the Publico Notario book of record. All those third person's main goal is to prevent you from doing so or thinking you need to check. If you don't see that once in your life, then you are now part of Baja lore;
A fool and his money.

HeyMulegeScott - 12-30-2022 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
What Gnukid said regarding how Ejido property is sold is correct.

If one is a person that is not part of the ejido and buys property from the ejido there is a process where a non ejido property owner can register the property with the state authorities to result in a degree of property protection. I doubt that doing this is a DIY process and help would be needed.
I guess that registration would be similar to the protection one gets from a title search and property registration for non ejido purchase?

The Mexican Constitution prohibits foreign individuals from owning land within 50 kilometers of the coast. https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/reinounido/index.php/en/servici...

"Foreign individuals or companies and Mexican companies 100% owned by foreigners may purchase of real estate for residential purposes within this "restricted zone" has to be through a trust fund for fifty years. In this kind of trust fund the bank will retain the property title but the foreigner is the beneficiary and may use and enjoy such premises and may sell or even inherit the rights to it. However, all operations regarding the property must be notified and approved by the bank."

[Edited on 12-30-2022 by HeyMulegeScott]

surabi - 12-30-2022 at 12:58 PM

"Fidicomiso is a nightmare and makes no sense."

I've had a Fideicomiso for 19 years and there has been no "nightmare". You guys go ahead and "buy" Ejido land that you have no actual legal paperwork for that would stand up in court if that's what turns your crank.

pacificobob - 12-30-2022 at 05:19 PM

18 year fido....zero issues.
Combine that with rapid appreciation, I'm pleased with the purchase.

Udo - 12-31-2022 at 11:18 AM

I also had a Fideicomiso in Bahia Asunción. It was a nightmare! The bank made errors in the fido, as well as the Notario. It took about a year of court attendance in MEXICO CITY. Even after the bank admitted the errors, it was extremely tough to get the bank to release the fido...even to a Mexican citizen!

"Fidicomiso is a nightmare and makes no sense."

I've had a Fideicomiso for 19 years and there has been no "nightmare". You guys go ahead and "buy" Ejido land that you have no actual legal paperwork for that would stand up in court if that's what turns your crank.

HeyMulegeScott - 12-31-2022 at 11:27 AM

https://mexlaw.com/ejido-mexican-concept-misunderstood-forei...

Why can’t foreigners buy an Ejido property?

The reason is simple: By law, foreigners are not allowed to be owners. The most important requirement of being part of the Ejido is that you must be of Mexican nationality.

An Ejido property is not private property, and it cannot be sold to foreigners; it may only be sold to Mexicans. A Mexican citizen wishing to purchase Ejido land must have the agreement of the whole community that “owns” the land. If an Ejido property is sold without the consent of all owners, the buyer can risk a legal battle after the fact, which, in the worst-case scenario means the land will be returned to the original owner.

The owner has rights of possession over the communal land, but does not have a Deed, and if he wants to sell it, he needs the approval of the assembly of the commissary. The commissary will never approve selling to a foreigner because it would be against the law.

The only way to acquire Ejido land is to go through a privatization process that transfers the property to a Mexican citizen through a Title or Deed. Transferring Ejido property into private ownership is a time-consuming process, and there are no guarantees it will succeed. Until an Ejido Title has been transferred to private property by a Mexican, foreigners cannot acquire ownership of Ejido land.

gnukid - 12-31-2022 at 12:03 PM

This may provide more insight into Ejido parcels and how they can be used and sold.

http://www.lawmexico.com/articles/Ejido%20Property.pdf

The real property of the ejidos is divided into three categories:

Individual parcels
Property for common use
Property for community development

surabi - 12-31-2022 at 01:51 PM

This may provide more insight into Ejido parcels and how they can be used and sold.

http://www.lawmexico.com/articles/Ejido%20Property.pdf

The real property of the ejidos is divided into three categories:

Individual parcels
Property for common use
Property for community development

The article makes it clear that ejido property must be regularized before it can be sold. Once it is regularized, it then has a title , and it can be sold to a foreigner, and the foreigner must put it in a bank trust if it is within 50 kms of the coast. A foreigner cannot own land within an ejido, as you seem to think. Once it is regularized, it is no longer part of the ejido.

[Edited on 1-1-2023 by surabi]

gnukid - 12-31-2022 at 02:28 PM

This resource may answer some questions about types and categories of Ejido land which makes up about 50% of Mexico, such as Parcels and Dominio Pleno.

Each person should do their own research and decide how they want to pursue ownership in Baja, including Fideicomiso, Corporation, Constancia or any other other type of ownership relationships, to know what is right for you.

https://www.mlsvallarta.com/resources/how-realistic-and-reas...

gnukid - 12-31-2022 at 09:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
This resource may answer some questions

So you have no actual experience in this stuff you're so fond of pedantically lecturing us about?

I have experience in ownership with corp, fidiecomiso, ejido parcels, construction, city and rural, etc and currently pursue each of those and have for more than 20 years. My goal is to have no Fido, no Corp, and only ejido Parcel property.

I am integrated in a very large community of nationals and foreigners and support friends in transactions since it seems many get into trouble from lack of information and few are willing to do research, agents are largely uniformed and unwilling to to do their fiduciary work or research or even go even to ayuntamiento, notario or agrarian rural system offices and there is a great deal of misinformation posted online.

Mexicans don't really have. reason to invest time to understand the issues for foreigners and vice versa. Due to relationships, I integrated into supporting Ejidos.

My original point is that the majority of transactions in Mexico are person to person, meaning meeting of minds between two people without an agent, lawyer, etc. especially since the majority of land was Ejido and transitioned to municipal titled, still today majority is Ejido which is far easier to transact, for example during covid paperwork for titled property came to a standstill while constancia transaction flourished. There is a great deal of history of transactions and transition of land from Ejido to Titled to review, certainly some horror stories which often were associated to leased ejido land.

For a typical "Foreigner" there are many many paths to ownership to consider. I am not promoting one over the other, except to note that they likely each have benefits and drawbacks.

Good luck

gnukid - 12-31-2022 at 09:31 PM

I share resources that people can use to make their own decisions without necessarily feeling it's necessary for people share explicit personal details, about where they live, or where they are investing our how much investment they may have because its not a good idea to share personal information.

mtgoat666 - 12-31-2022 at 10:41 PM

This resource may answer some questions

So you have no actual experience in this stuff you're so fond of pedantically lecturing us about?

I have experience in ownership with corp, fidiecomiso, ejido parcels, construction, city and rural, etc and currently pursue each of those and have for more than 20 years. My goal is to have no Fido, no Corp, and only ejido Parcel property.

I am integrated in a very large community of nationals and foreigners and support friends in transactions since it seems many get into trouble from lack of information and few are willing to do research, agents are largely uniformed and… blah, blah, blah.

Paul,
You are a regular real estate wheeling dealing mogul :lol::lol::lol::no: You got a house in mt view and a vacation home in La ventana . You are middle age peter pan from Palo Alto who spends his days smoking dope and kite surfing. You eat organic food and try a bit of yoga, in vain attempt to stay in shape and avoid your own mortality.
You are a box of contradictions. You are a granola-eating, Whole-Foods-shopping MAGA right wing nut :lol:

surabi - 12-31-2022 at 11:24 PM

I trust gnukid's property ownership assertions about as much as his Covid disinformation.

LancairDriver - 1-1-2023 at 12:54 AM

I trust gnukid's property ownership assertions about as much as his Covid disinformation.

Odd, I’ve always found gnukids opinions to be well researched.

1D2834B9-52CF-4D3F-97CA-AA4D15733D9A.jpeg - 25kB

surabi - 1-1-2023 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

Odd, I’ve always found gnukids opinions to be well researched.

"Research" which is gleaned from websites that promote disinformation and conspiracy theories is valueless.

RFClark - 1-1-2023 at 10:48 AM

S,

Be sure and include CNN in that group!

LancairDriver - 1-1-2023 at 11:47 AM

I have no desire to rehash the Covid argument's, particularly on this forum.
If your keeping up with the “science” you will see the previous narrative on Covid is rapidly becoming unraveled and abandoned by many advanced country’s around the world evaluating hard statistics.This information is not from Google searches but is largely from credible medical professionals.

Don Pisto - 1-1-2023 at 11:51 AM

so hey BajaBuddies I guess you see how we roll here! :lol:

RFClark - 1-1-2023 at 12:30 PM

S,

“They print what sell” covers a lot of ground. Including writers of “research papers” who live off of grants!

All viewpoints are processed through the built in filters of those making them. Which is reasonable. It’s those added viewpoints that “make it sell” that can be a problem.

[Edited on 1-1-2023 by RFClark]

mtgoat666 - 1-1-2023 at 12:30 PM

I have no desire to rehash the Covid argument's,

...abandoned by many advanced country’s around the world

Hey, this is nothing personal (a lot of people do it) but I'm trying to understand why it's so common:

What is the reason you put apostrophes in those boldfaced words? :?:

Many people just don’t know how to use apostrophes.

RFClark - 1-1-2023 at 12:35 PM

Goat,

Many people don't know how to drive cars and that doesn’t stop them either.

surabi - 1-1-2023 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I have no desire to rehash the Covid argument's,

...abandoned by many advanced country’s around the world

Hey, this is nothing personal (a lot of people do it) but I'm trying to understand why it's so common:

What is the reason you put apostrophes in those boldfaced words? :?:

Many people just don’t know how to use apostrophes.

In other words, they flunked 3rd grade English, when we were taught that apostrophes are used to indicate possession or to take the place of missing letters in contractions.

RFClark - 1-1-2023 at 01:45 PM

Part of the apostrophe “problem” is Apple’s spellchecker desire to try and make plural words like “arguments” into possessive words because the spellchecker doesn’t parse the sentence for context. “country’s” being use rather than “countries” is probably just poor spelling.

I use a lot of words or phrases in quotes to indicate irony!

“Scare Quotes: Also known as air quotes, sneer quotes, or shudder quotes, scare quotes are put around a word or phrase to note atypical usage or disapproval. Oftentimes, scare quotes are used with a negative or sarcastic tone that distances the person using the scare quotes from the person (real or hypothetical) that they’re quoting.
Example: Calvin claims that only “real” Prince fans understand the brilliance of his earlier, less acclaimed work.”

surabi - 1-1-2023 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Part of the apostrophe “problem” is Apple’s spellchecker desire to try and make plural words like “arguments” into possessive words because the spellchecker doesn’t parse the sentence for context. “country’s” being use rather than “countries” is probably just poor spelling.

I use a lot of words or phrases in quotes to indicate irony!

“Scare Quotes: Also known as air quotes, sneer quotes, or shudder quotes, scare quotes are put around a word or phrase to note atypical usage or disapproval. Oftentimes, scare quotes are used with a negative or sarcastic tone that distances the person using the scare quotes from the person (real or hypothetical) that they’re quoting.
Example: Calvin claims that only “real” Prince fans understand the brilliance of his earlier, less acclaimed work.”

Spell checkers, Apple or otherwise, have no idea what you are actually trying to say. They are useful only if one is uncertain how to spell a certain word. For instance, I've always been a really good speller, but there are a couple of words I have always had some mental block about remembering the spelling of. So I always have to check if I have spelled it correctly.

Predictive text or spelling choices are useless for those who do not know the difference between the spell checker producing something contextually correct or incorrect. Or don't know the difference between their, there, and they're.

It's like using a calculator. It can save you a lot of time vs doing the math yourself. But if you don't really know basic math, and simply take the number that comes up as correct, when in fact you may have punched in the wrong numbers, or accidentally hit the plus sign instead of the multiplication sign, and can't look at the answer and think "That can't possibly be right", then using the calculator can result in as many incorrect answers as correct ones.

Back in the old days, when store employees actually entered prices of your purchases on a cash register, rather than using bar codes and scanners, I once was at a supermarket check-out with 4 or 5 small items that didn't cost more than a buck or two each, it rang up as $25. I told the cashier that couldn't possibly be right, and she insisted it was, simply because that's what came up on the cash register. I told her to look at the items in front of her, which all had price stickers -it obviously didn't add up to that. But she couldn't just mentally add it up approximately and see that she must have punched something in wrong. When I made her void the sale and punch it in again, it came to something like $8.

[Edited on 1-1-2023 by surabi]

RFClark - 1-1-2023 at 02:19 PM

5 letters explains the problem! “LAUSD”! But if I were to say “that most public eduction systems aren’t run for the benefit of the students” that might be viewed as “political”, so I won’t go there.

Don Pisto - 1-1-2023 at 02:28 PM

5 letters explains the problem! “LAUSD”! But if I were to say “that most public eduction systems aren’t run for the benefit of the students” that might be viewed as “political”, so I won’t go there.

gracias! no one wants to hear it anyway :coolup:

RFClark - 1-1-2023 at 02:58 PM

Take a 10-100!

RFClark - 1-1-2023 at 04:05 PM

S,

PM’s questions in the Commons has something like that. Common questions answered are given numbers and when the same or a similar question is asked just the question and answer number is the response. Saves a lot of time.

Not sure that would be a benefit here. The most frequent commenters may not have anything else to do with the time saved.

BajaBuddies - 1-6-2023 at 10:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
so hey BajaBuddies I guess you see how we roll here! :lol:

Went away for the holidays and came back to a very informative thread! Both on topics we inquired about and some we didn't LOL.

surabi - 1-7-2023 at 01:58 PM

You regret not getting a chance to legally kill someone? That's pretty sick.

Marty Mateo - 1-7-2023 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

gracias! no one wants to hear it anyway :coolup:

😂😂😂 we’ll played 👍🏼

Marty Mateo - 1-7-2023 at 02:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You silly boy, ... in defense of our country, we all should do anything we can to preserve freedom over socialism & communism.
LOL means it was a joke.
Of course, if you are a communist, I get the reason for your insane reply.[/rquote

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Wow , double down on the stupidity. You truly are brainwashed, keep waving the magot hat and doing the redneck chant .

[Edited on 8/1/2023 by Marty Mateo]

mtgoat666 - 1-7-2023 at 03:15 PM

Looking back, now at 65, I would join up for all the beneifits you guys are getting, and maybe a chance to shoot a commie or two!

lencho - 1-7-2023 at 05:35 PM

Unfortunately (?) for me, President Nixon ended the draft and Vietnam war before I turned 18... and Jimmy Carter started the draft registration back up after the Soviets/ Russians invaded Afghanistan, after I passed the age for registration. In my 20s, I did not have an interest in the military as I had been seriously involved in irrigation work since I was 22.
Looking back, now at 65, I would join up for all the beneifits you guys are getting, and maybe a chance to shoot a commie or two! LOL
Thank you for your service!
You regret not getting a chance to legally kill someone? That's pretty sick.
You silly boy, ... in defense of our country, we all should do anything we can to preserve freedom over socialism & communism.
LOL means it was a joke.
Of course, if you are a communist, I get the reason for your insane reply.

Newcomer debating whether to join the forum, upon reading these scholarly posts by the lead contributor:

"Now this is a place I want to hang out; sign me up coach!"

Howard - 1-7-2023 at 05:45 PM

Silly me, I thought this is forum about Baja.

monoloco - 1-27-2023 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Not bad advice at all.

If you follow the ''chain of title'' for the past 25 years, at least in the Todos area, Ejido owned the land and if you were a buyer, you dealt with the Seller, the Ejido. Didn't mean you wouldn't need a Notario.

For Buyers who didn't know MX real estate, a local real estate agent could be helpful.

A risky proposition in the 90s, in the Todos area, was Buyers buying from Ejido, who didn't have title. Property was sold on the promise that when Title came in, it would be transferred to the new Owner.
It's not at all risky to buy ejido property if it has an escritura issued by the federal government and has a notarized "derechos de tantos" which proves that the ejido members were given an opportunity to exercise their first right to buy the land at the agreed upon sale price.

SFandH - 1-27-2023 at 11:19 AM

"An Ejido property is not private property, and it cannot be sold to foreigners; it may only be sold to Mexicans. A Mexican citizen wishing to purchase Ejido land must have the agreement of the whole community that “owns” the land. If an Ejido property is sold without the consent of all owners, the buyer can risk a legal battle after the fact, which, in the worst-case scenario means the land will be returned to the original owner.

The owner has rights of possession over the communal land, but does not have a Deed, and if he wants to sell it, he needs the approval of the assembly of the commissary. The commissary will never approve selling to a foreigner because it would be against the law.

The only way to acquire Ejido land is to go through a privatization process that transfers the property to a Mexican citizen through a Title or Deed. Transferring Ejido property into private ownership is a time-consuming process, and there are no guarantees it will succeed. Until an Ejido Title has been transferred to private property by a Mexican, foreigners cannot acquire ownership of Ejido land."

https://mexlaw.com/ejido-mexican-concept-misunderstood-forei...

gnukid - 1-27-2023 at 01:39 PM

Completely incorrect. The majority of land in Mexico is still ejido and the majority sold so far has been ejido, ejido comes in at least three flavors. One is parcel which is owned by an individual and can be sold to an individual. The Ejido land can go through a process to become part of delegation and titled and most often is.

FYI no ejido is equal, it is made up of personalities, families and one must do due diligence.

It's perfectly fine for anyone to pursue any method of buying or renting or camping etc they choose in Mexico, however, be aware there are charlatans, generally those posing as lawyers and real estate agents, while no such licenses or laws exist to control fiduciary responsibility of agent to client. Those in the know, are aware that fraud is rampant generally due to lack of regulation and lack of experience.

It's quite sad that people claiming to be real estate agent cause so much havoc for buyers in Mexico while they provide no benefit or legal requirement to ensure they are working in the interest of the buyer or seller. Worse of course is the double ending agent claiming to represent seller and buyer while doing neither nor doing any of the required leg work to ensure completion of transaction.

If you are interested in buying and want to pursue using an agent and lawyer and believe you are well served then its buyer beware. It's your choice. While the highest most secure form of ownership is person to person, validated directly, whether as titled and transferred with Notario you trust and registered in the ayuntamiento or ejido parcel with constancia which can also be notarized and titled.

I'm closing on selling and buying this week, the amount of imcompetence by so called real estate agents, accountants, lawyers, and notarios is outrageous. But, I have experience to know we must validate everything personally, and meet face to face with each office and ensure each detail is completed ourselves otherwise it will not happen. The problem is when the other party puts their confidence in untrustworthy parties and shares the personal details, or worse access to funds with untrustworthy parties.

I'm not going to share the endless horror stories I've personally witnessed with "real estate agents" "lawyers" and "accountants" other to say Good luck and buyer beware, but you can look up news stories of real estate fraud in Baja.

There is no such thing as a real estate agent in Baja with fiduciary responsibility to buyer or seller as we know it in USA or other country.

[Edited on 1-27-2023 by gnukid]

gnukid - 1-27-2023 at 01:58 PM

Anyone can look up reports of fraud among agents and notarios of titled land

Roban 3 millones de Notaría Pública en La Paz
https://metropolimx.com/roban-3-millones-de-notaria-publica-...

gnukid - 1-27-2023 at 02:07 PM

There are horror stories of leased land in ejido, uso comun, multiple sales of same land, confused property lines, etc. the rules are the same worldwide, you need to do due diligence and demonstrate possession of land.

In USA or anywhere if you do not fence land, occupy and deny access to others, or you don't pay maintenance or taxes, after five years someone else who has done so can claim established ownership by possession. Same rules and standards exist almost everywhere.

BajaBuddies - 2-2-2023 at 08:19 AM

So to reel things in a bit...

From what I've gathered this area by the river in Mulege WILL flood. So that being said, what do you think fair price on this spot would be?

https://bajasur.craigslist.org/reo/d/home-and-land/757565284...

baja-chris - 2-3-2023 at 11:54 AM

I'd try to negotiate a long term lease instead of buying there.
Then when it floods, owner pays to repair and if not you walk away.

pacificobob - 2-3-2023 at 12:15 PM

All the benefits veterans get?
YGBSM!
remarkable case of wilful ignorance.

[Edited on 2-5-2023 by pacificobob]

[Edited on 2-5-2023 by pacificobob]

Mulege Canuck - 2-3-2023 at 07:35 PM

The Orchard has been fixed up really nice in the last few years. It looks great in there. Those little houses have proved they can survive a bad flood. Gorgeous little homes!

However for me, I would only pay a max of $60000 given the flood risk. You will have to factor in the cost of the bank trust title change. I am not sure how expensive that procedure is. Make sure you get flood insurance. I went through a claim myself for hurricane Odile, it was definitely worth it.

Having said all that, please note that I am a cheap Canadian 😎

[Edited on 2-4-2023 by Mulege Canuck]

BajaBuddies - 2-4-2023 at 02:03 PM

I appreciate the insight!

Where do y'all typically look for baja properties?

We usually end up looking at point2, buyloreto, and Mulege realty.

Almost - 2-4-2023 at 05:27 PM

We looked at all of those and ended up dealing with Denise Stubbs from Live in Loreto. Closed last July and everything went slowly, but reasonably well. Great work and representation from Denise.