BajaNomad

12 v. compact air compressor recommendation??

thebajarunner - 4-3-2023 at 01:50 PM

I foolishly followed the advice of a friend who restores old cars and bought a compact "Slime" compressor at WalMart
Major mistake on several fronts.

First pass it worked great
Second time it had some hiccups
Third time was stop and go,
Fourth time, it seems to have expired.

Who has good luck with one and what is your recommendation
(From the guy who never, ever goes to WM, didn't even know where there was one)

chippy - 4-3-2023 at 02:02 PM

My Smittybilt 2780 has been flawless for 8years.

David K - 4-3-2023 at 02:10 PM

Plenty to pick, and there will be those who swear by their V-air or ARB set ups.

I have had good success with my MV-50 pump, it is inexpensive compared to others (under $100 last time I checked) yet clips onto the battery (as the good ones do, for high amp/ speed) and refills my 16" truck tires from 16 psi to 34 psi in about 3 minutes (6 psi per min).

It is three times faster than the pumps that plug into a cigarette lighter.

Oh, and lucky you, it says WalMart sells them! LOL: https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperFlow-MV50-Portable-30-Amp-12...

MV-50.jpg - 231kB

AKgringo - 4-3-2023 at 02:35 PM

I sometimes regret purchases at Harbor Freight, but I bought a compressor there that is similar to the one David posted. It was inexpensive, and I have been using it for about five years now.

It is not just for Baja runs, I have used it more often at home than I do on most road trips. The difference is that around home it is usually just one tire, not all four.

Viair 400p

John M - 4-3-2023 at 03:23 PM

Not inexpensive but it's worked flawlessly for many years (one time the hose got too hot and broke). A clean cut with a razor knife, slipped it through the compression nut and it was working fine again.

John M

David K - 4-3-2023 at 03:49 PM

AK, I had the Harbor Freight one before the MV-50. It was also fast, but the fuse holder got so hot it melted the plastic fuses, requiring replacements after each use.
It also came in a bulky hard plastic case that requires more space in my truck than the MV-50 bag does. I still have it!

Maderita - 4-3-2023 at 03:49 PM

Without providing significantly more information about your needs, do not expect to receive any meaningful answers.

Are you planning to fill 4 large offroad tires from 10 psi to 45+ psi in the desert heat? Is it a one-beer stop or a two-beer stop? (How much of a hurry are you in?)
Or an occasional flat from a nail hole.
RV tires need high psi; make your selection accordingly. High- pressure compressors are a tradeoff by providing lower volume (cfm), therefore slower.
Frequent use or once/twice a year?
How critical is your situation if the pump fails, a 20 mile hike through desert wilderness, or a minor inconvenience?
Do you need to impress your friends with the size? lol

I have an onboard ARB compressor, mounted under a 4x4 van, and have rebuilt it twice.
My favorite is a Viair 350C (C = continuous duty / 100% duty cycle). Mounted inside a "Fat 50" ammo can for portability.
I also have a Viair 400P (P = portable) in a carry bag.

Compressors heat up quickly and most are only around 30% duty cycle. Summer/desert temperatures are hard on compressors. https://www.viaircorp.com/tech
Definitely a fan of Viair compressors. The best prices are usually found on eBay.

My city vehicle carries an inexpensive plug-into-the cigarette-lighter type. Great for filling a single flat tire on the highway. It is not allowed to ride in any of my offroad vehicles.

AKgringo - 4-3-2023 at 04:02 PM

Good point about what PSI is required. If I needed more than 30 PSI, for more than one tire, I would not count on my harbor freight model.

Also, if I have aired down all four wheels, I would re-fill them in stages rotating around the vehicle so that all of the tires would get some air before the compressor might overheat or quit!

thebajarunner - 4-3-2023 at 04:10 PM

Excellent input, all around

At this point the portable Viair sounds like a winner
At present it will just ride around in my Macan
Since COVID hit my trips have not gone south of San Vicente, sad to say, but that may improve.

Also, the gator clips sound much better than the plug in
But some brilliant design engineer in Germany decided that the battery could be tucked far away under the front seat, which makes that app pretty inconvenient, to say to least

Any more input, fire away. I will probably not pick one up for a week or two. My neighbor has a nice standing unit that fit the bill today when my little TinkerToy failed to muster up.

AKgringo - 4-3-2023 at 04:24 PM

I jumpstarted a guy once, who was driving a car with the battery buried deep and needed tools to get to it. Fortunately, there were terminal up under the hood that were easily accessible, just for jumpstarting.

I imagine that if your Macan had those, you would already know about it, but it is something to check for. If you do go with the lighter socket plug in type, make sure you have extra fuses (for the compressor, and the car)

Maderita - 4-3-2023 at 04:34 PM

Viair makes the 75P model, plug-in, about $60. I have not seen one, so cannot attest to the quality. Maybe check out reviews on Amazon, etc.
https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/75P

Sorry, we are mostly offroaders here, with big tires and frequent. if not crucial, use of our equipment.

My Viair 400p

John M - 4-3-2023 at 07:06 PM

I was able to hard mount it out of the way under the hood and hard wired it. A The air hose remains attached, also helps prevent dust from getting in the way. The supplied factory hose is plenty long enough to reach all four wheels on my Tacoma.

I don't usually drop the air pressure below 20 psi, and have 31s. Compared to others along on a recent trip, I was usually the second one aired up - first went to an onboard converted York air conditioning compressor.

The overheating of the hose I mentioned earlier occurred when I was airing up a guy with us, after doing my 4 tires, and he needed 65 lbs. At about 45 lbs is when the hose on my Viair gave up the ghost I'm assuming due to the heat generated - though I may have stretched the hose to reach his truck adding some stress to the hose.

John M

[Edited on 4-4-2023 by John M]

Alm - 4-3-2023 at 07:36 PM

Hmm... my compact Slime is alive and well after 3 years of occasional use. 2 complaints - female connector is threaded, not lever-locked, so needs attention not to cross-thread, and 2) connector is plastic. So I carry a backup $6 very old compact pump that is twice bigger - well, it's old, things were made bigger then, probably $15-20 in today's prices. It has a brass connector with a metal locking lever.

mtgoat666 - 4-3-2023 at 08:09 PM

I have a viair 12 volt. Works well. But slow. If i have a choice, i drive to a serice stn or tire shop to fill up faster.

Bajazly - 4-3-2023 at 08:26 PM

If your battery is a PITA to get to, go to Cabelas or Bass Blow Shop and get a 2 prong thru deck trolling motor quick disconnect plug. They are a twist lock so pretty secure when plugged in. You can wire a receptacle, or two, into the truck and the female side onto the wire to the compressor.

Trolling motors can draw a fair amount and the plug I got was pretty heavy duty plus it is made for a boat so it's kind of well made and a bit water/dust resistant.

I got sick of opening the hood to hook up the clips to my battery for the solar panel and installed one of these in the bed of the truck, quick and easy connection. Don't see why it wouldn't be perfect for a compressor like this.

Lee - 4-3-2023 at 10:17 PM

Viair 400p when running 31s on my Ford diesel, and a plug in for the SUV. Carry both in a Yakima Skybox. Workhorses.

4x4abc - 4-4-2023 at 08:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
If your battery is a PITA to get to, go to Cabelas or Bass Blow Shop and get a 2 prong thru deck trolling motor quick disconnect plug. They are a twist lock so pretty secure when plugged in. You can wire a receptacle, or two, into the truck and the female side onto the wire to the compressor.

Trolling motors can draw a fair amount and the plug I got was pretty heavy duty plus it is made for a boat so it's kind of well made and a bit water/dust resistant.

I got sick of opening the hood to hook up the clips to my battery for the solar panel and installed one of these in the bed of the truck, quick and easy connection. Don't see why it wouldn't be perfect for a compressor like this.

brilliant idea!

dravnx - 4-4-2023 at 08:52 AM

You can also remote mount an Anderson connector if your battery is difficult to access. Available at most NAPA or other good autoparts stores.

bajaric - 4-4-2023 at 12:31 PM

Or, you could get a cordless air compressor with a lithium battery. I have a Ryobi (yeah, I know) one+ inflator, works great for occasionally topping up a low tire, but a little flimsy. The same batteries work on dozens of other tools, including my lawn mower and shop vac. No cords, no jumper clamps, ez peasy.

Of course when off grid you have to carry an inverter to charge the lithium batteries using your car battery if they run out of juice, nonetheless the whole setup is still smaller and less weight than even the basic cigarette lighter plug in junk.

Full disclosure, I carry a bicycle pump just in case the flimsy Ryobi goes kaput.

4x4abc - 4-4-2023 at 07:08 PM

I have been airing up and down for a living for 35 years.
that does not make me an expert on compressors - but I know a few things.

even some of the good compressors, and definitely the cheap ones, can use some cheap upgrades and life saving maintenance

almost all compressors are oil-less
meaning the pistons have no lubrication
imagine your car engine without oil!
right!

so, to extend the life of whatever compressor you have, spray some lubricant into the air intake before every use. ATF is best - WD40 works.

changing out the power leads to heavier gauge wires ensures that the motor gets plenty of juice and nothing gets to hot and burns up

plenty of groups discussing upgrades - but these 2 will make the biggest difference.

by the way, my Puma compressor has been on duty for more than 20 years now. It needed new battery clamps and a yearly tightening of the air lines

air.jpg - 286kB

Don Pisto - 4-4-2023 at 08:12 PM

good stuff Harald!

400P

PaulW - 4-5-2023 at 08:06 AM

I have a 400P mounted inside the new jeep on the C cage pillar. Last year it failed to deliver air. Sent it back and they fixed it and told me the head gasket was installed incorrectly. No charge except for shipping one way. Since then after 4 or 5 uses it fills 4-37s from 18 to 37psi ok. But I think it it too slow compared to my previous CO2 setup. The 400P sure gets hot and the air hose will probably be the next thing to fail due to heat at the compressor end. I have it mounted 1.5' from my aux battery with a 10 ga wire. The battery holds at 13.5 volts during the fill process with the jeep engine running at idle.

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
I was able to hard mount it out of the way under the hood and hard wired it. A The air hose remains attached, also helps prevent dust from getting in the way. The supplied factory hose is plenty long enough to reach all four wheels on my Tacoma.

I don't usually drop the air pressure below 20 psi, and have 31s. Compared to others along on a recent trip, I was usually the second one aired up - first went to an onboard converted York air conditioning compressor.

The overheating of the hose I mentioned earlier occurred when I was airing up a guy with us, after doing my 4 tires, and he needed 65 lbs. At about 45 lbs is when the hose on my Viair gave up the ghost I'm assuming due to the heat generated - though I may have stretched the hose to reach his truck adding some stress to the hose.

John M

[Edited on 4-4-2023 by John M]

4x4abc - 4-5-2023 at 09:44 AM

the 400P is only 30% duty cycle and delivers only 2.3 CFM
both numbers are at the lowest end of an acceptable range

willardguy - 4-5-2023 at 10:22 AM

not being big off roaders we just carry the cheap mv50 but what we did was make up a pigtail with battery clips to a 120 volt plug and a receptacle at the compressor with a heavy duty 25' extension cord that was handy to have to remote a generator etc.

PaulW - 4-5-2023 at 11:21 AM

Search for 'off road compressors reviews' you will find the current choices that have pretty good specs - like more than 5 CFM and with decent duty cycle.
Times are changing. The $150 ones have matched the $600 versions.

4x4abc - 4-5-2023 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Search for 'off road compressors reviews' you will find the current choices that have pretty good specs - like more than 5 CFM and with decent duty cycle.
Times are changing. The $150 ones have matched the $600 versions.

sometimes the market is good for us

I’ve had one of these for years

RFClark - 4-6-2023 at 08:16 PM

Works great. Best to run the motor while using it as it draws a fair amount of power.

20693BA4-C6D7-4151-95D2-7B785491A2F4.jpeg - 154kB

David K - 4-7-2023 at 06:08 AM

So, there you have it...
As I said before the replies all came in, there's a lot of love for the Viar, and at least one has an ARB. One more Nomad came forward who has the MV-50 which remains under-appreciated for a pump that is, or was, in the $80-$100 range. For me, it never overheats or needs a time-out when filling four 32" x 16" tires from 15 to 34 psi, in the summer, and the fuse or wires don't melt (like the Harbor Freight cheap/ fast one).

geoffff - 4-8-2023 at 11:50 AM

Yeah, let me also chime in for the Viair!

I have tried lots of compact air pumps, and this is the best. It's quiet, doesn't overheat, and hasn't failed me yet.

My adventure van has a huge fancy onboard pump, but for compact pump needs I have a Viair in all my other cars.

jamesbee - 4-9-2023 at 08:08 AM

I've had my Viair 400p for 12 years. Spent the first 10 years in a Jeep TJ on 35's and 36's. I've never had to stop while filling tires and it's never felt slow. On one trip a friends Smittybilt compressor died, I filled my tires then his 35's, no problem. Sold the Jeep couple years ago, still have the compressor. It will fill my Dodge diesel rear tires to 80 psi no problem. I did replace the hose at some point. It also has gotten hot enough to melt the rubber snubs that hold it to it's factory mounting plate. My .02

Thank you, one and all!!

thebajarunner - 4-10-2023 at 05:34 PM

Great input
Lots of options which I am sorting through
Best of all- everyone stayed on topic and it didn't veer off into "stuff"

This is absolutely what Nomad is all about, and commendations all around

AKgringo - 4-10-2023 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Great input
Lots of options which I am sorting through
Best of all- everyone stayed on topic and it didn't veer off into "stuff"

This is absolutely what Nomad is all about, and commendations all around

Well as it turns out, a "WOKE" compressor and a "MAGA" compressor put out the same amount of hot air!

Mulege Canuck - 4-11-2023 at 08:05 AM

https://www.amazon.com/ALL-TOP-150Psi-Compressor-Portable-He...

Harold recommend this unit to me a few years ago. It has worked great . I air down my F350 carrying a large Bigfoot camper down to 30PSI on the rears and 20PSI upfront in soft sand. I have to air up back to 75/65 PSI once back on gravel. This unit can do all my tires in 15 min.

I also own a VIAIR. It is a great unit but it took a longtime to air up because I had to wait to let it cool down.

David K - 4-11-2023 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  

Harold recommend this unit to me a few years ago. It has worked great . I air down my F350 carrying a large Bigfoot camper down to 30PSI on the rears and 20PSI upfront in soft sand. I have to air up back to 75/65 PSI once back on gravel. This unit can do all my tires in 15 min.

I also own a VIAIR. It is a great unit but it took a longtime to air up because I had to wait to let it cool down.

That looks really nice... I missed seeing it mentioned by Harald. If my MV-50 ever fails, I will get one of these.

danojeno - 4-14-2023 at 08:50 AM

I run a Viair 450P, hard mounted and wired in my Tacoma's bed cubby. It works great as a portable as well, with 100% duty cycle. Something to consider, is buying a compressor without a tank. If you're using it to fill up tires, the small portable tank is almost instantly depleted, yet takes up considerable space.

4x4abc - 4-14-2023 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by danojeno  
I run a Viair 450P, hard mounted and wired in my Tacoma's bed cubby. It works great as a portable as well, with 100% duty cycle. Something to consider, is buying a compressor without a tank. If you're using it to fill up tires, the small portable tank is almost instantly depleted, yet takes up considerable space.

you are right - if you only fill up tires, the tank is not needed
however, if you run air tools, the tank is needed as a buffer

WideAngleWandering - 4-14-2023 at 12:12 PM

I used a portable viair 400p for years to fill 33" tires on my 4x4, usually in baja trips.

Pros:
* Fills tires successfully
* Cheap
* No install required

Cons:
* Kinda slow
* The 5-in-1 inflator at the end of the hose is unusual and a bit fragile. mine eventually failed. replacements available from viair but i had to go to a llantera to fill my tires that day.
* no tank or pressure switch. requires open chuck inflator or the proprietary 5 in 1.
* have to dig it out from under all the gear and clip it to the batteries to use

I have since switched to a hard mounted ExtremeAir Magnum and a Jaco inflator w/analog gauge

Pros:
* Fast. 100% duty cycle.
* Always available. Push a button. Connect a hose. Fill tires fast.
* Has a tank and pressure switch and can be used with a closed chuck.
* All standard components. Want a better inflator? Air nozzle to blow out dust? Small air tools? Go to town with this bad boy.

Cons:
* Costs more
* Requires installation. But in the end I'm glad I installed it once rather than having to set up viair at every use.

Both get the job done.

Quote:
Something to consider, is buying a compressor without a tank. If you're using it to fill up tires, the small portable tank is almost instantly depleted, yet takes up considerable space.

If you can find room for a decent size tank it is nice to have even for filling tires. When moving from one tire to the next the tank is building and storing air. It speeds the process. I have a 2g tank mounted under the rear cross member, behind my rear bumper. It's definitely a nice-to-have.

[Edited on 2023-4-14 by WideAngleWandering]

basautter - 4-15-2023 at 04:52 AM

Viair makes a family of compressors of varying size and fill rates. I have had good luck with this brand. My only complaint is the air hose that comes with the compressor is hard coiled plastic, and does not have much reach for the volume. I replaced it with a 20 ft rubber hose.

PaulW - 4-15-2023 at 08:06 AM

All seem to be pretty low flow compared to the latest offerings on-line.
I found my 440P to be the slowest of all the other guys in my group for filling tires. That is confirmed when studying all VIAIR offerings.

Purdyd - 4-16-2023 at 07:05 AM

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcc020ib/20v-max-cordedcordle...

Or something similar.

IMG_3026.jpeg - 132kB

Dewalt battery tools

AKgringo - 4-16-2023 at 07:43 AM

Perhaps the Dewalt lithium batteries will perform better than older nicad ones that I have. Just before I retired, I set myself up with a wide variety of Dewalt tools using the 18v nicad batteries.

They never saw much use, but over time half of them became useless, and the other half have short running times before they have to be charged again.

Stanley Fat Max compressor/jump starter

AKgringo - 4-16-2023 at 08:08 AM

I have two of them. One traveled with me in Alaska, and I have another one in NorCal that made quite a few Baja runs.

Even when they were new, the compressor was slower than the other options discussed in this thread, and eventually became useless for any large tires. The jump starter was strong, and the USB port and 12v socket were useful, but after ten years of riding with me, it will no longer hold a charge.

Purdyd - 4-17-2023 at 06:27 PM

The lithium ion batteries last for a long time.

I hear the Milwaukee cordless pump is very good.

The dewalt can also be powered by 12 volts and comes with a cord.

Almost - 4-17-2023 at 08:53 PM

After reading and re-reading these posts, I thought I'd add my 0.02. I've used the low cost universal store products and I currently use both a Viair 400 and a TJM single piston compressor. They're both pretty good. They both fill 4 33" in about 1/4 beer from 20 to 38 psi. Use what you have. The best compressor is the one that gets your tires full. I've never really been a fan of proprietary battery powered products, they never seem to be reliable without the proper 'care'. When you are not happy with the performance or reliability of something that you have, it's time to intelligently and cost effectively upgrade your kit. Cheers

David K - 4-18-2023 at 07:39 AM

1/4 beer :lol: (good one) = ? minutes, lol. If hot, maybe seconds?

Comparing compressors

PaulW - 4-18-2023 at 10:17 AM

Compressors -- Here are my latest search results. Worth looking at of you are like me a want a faster tire fill-up.

Presently I have the VIAIR highest flow unit that they sell. 440p, back for the second time for warrantee repairs due to pressure leaks.
https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-440P-Portable-Compressor-44043/...
$340 3.0CFM @ 0 PSI

No particular order, but several worth looking at

ALL-TOP Air Compressor
$160 7 CFM

MaxiTrac 300 Dual Compressor
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTWM10215C
https://youtu.be/EPVHHr5kXog
$168 10.6 CFM

Tozlazz
https://youtu.be/SZUcg1lISWc
https://tozalazz.com/product/offroad-12v-portable-air-compre...
$232 11.65CFM

ARB twin
https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMTA12-Board-Performance-Compres...
$616 6.14CFM

ARB single
https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMA12-Compressor-Output-Board/dp...
$338 3.08CFM

4x4abc - 4-18-2023 at 11:23 AM

I have the VIAIR highest flow unit that they sell. 440p, back for the second time for warrantee repairs due to pressure leaks.
https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-440P-Portable-Compressor-44043/...
$340 3.0CFM @ 0 PSI

WOW!

that is $200 more than the competition

one thing Viair is famous for is advertising - not for product!

it is like politics
spend a lot of money on your presidential candidate and he/she will be elected

[Edited on 4-18-2023 by 4x4abc]

4x4abc - 4-18-2023 at 11:28 AM

a spec that is worth looking for (and most manufacturers do not offer that information)
is the CFM number recorded at 0 psi?
or is it recorded at a higher pressure?
the good companies offer both numbers

high CFM at moderate psi (around 40) means tires will get filled fast.

PaulW - 4-18-2023 at 11:34 AM

Yes. Mentioned before the new breed of compressors make what we purchased several years back look like a poor choice.
And you can buy that 600+ ARB from a china knockoff for under 200. At 6CFM it still is less than the 11.6 unit. for a little less dollars.

PaulW - 4-18-2023 at 11:40 AM

The CFM I show in my previous post are all at zero pressure. Of course at pressures we use the CFM drops. Not all give meaningful data for 30 or 40 psi which would be useful.

The newcomers unlike VIAIR come with a temp sensor.
The videos show they still do the job for my 37" tires without a temp overload and do it fast.

I forget which one said 6.xxCFM at 30psi.

PaulW - 4-18-2023 at 02:01 PM

Found this on the web site
Tozlazz
65CFM @ 0psi, 7CFM @ 30 PSI.
Test data:
This air compressor takes 1 minute to pump a truck tire from 10 PSI to 40 PSI (TESTED ON THE 285/75R17 (33.8″)Tires)

Bildo - 4-19-2023 at 01:34 PM

I use a Smitty Built to fill a bunch of 37's and 35's on 16 inch wheels. The only thing I don't like is how hot the compressor gets. I keep thinking it's going to melt down but so far so good.

Bill

KaceyJ - 4-24-2023 at 09:26 AM

Bought one of these as a backup for my aging MV-50's

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077N9PXV3/ref=emc_bcc_2_i?th=1

I tested it out , connecting it directly to the truck battery . On 33" tires at 50 psi it took about 5 min to air up to 60 psi. I then let almost all the air out of the tire -short of the rim pressing on sidewall- and reinflated to 50 psi which took about 12 min. A little long but does the job. The only thing that got noticeably warm was the air hose .

I bought 3 of the MV50's from Kragen back in the day for $25 ea.
2 are still going strong and one developed legs and relocated .

PaulW - 4-25-2023 at 07:00 AM

After extensive search the highest flowing 12v compressor so far is Tozalazz, $232 11.65CFM @0PSI, 7CFM @30 PSI
https://www.amazon.com/Tozalazz-Compressor-Portable-Inflator...
Read Amazon user comments to find your tire size data.

Marc - 4-28-2023 at 11:35 AM

Looks like a toy. However I am happy with how it performs.

Udo - 4-30-2023 at 11:00 AM

Mine is about 12 years old, now, and needed to replace the coil hose. Mine hardened and cracked. Easy fix.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I sometimes regret purchases at Harbor Freight, but I bought a compressor there that is similar to the one David posted. It was inexpensive, and I have been using it for about five years now.

It is not just for Baja runs, I have used it more often at home than I do on most road trips. The difference is that around home it is usually just one tire, not all four.