BajaNomad

TIP info for Trailers, motorhomes and cars.

charliemanson - 5-14-2023 at 04:06 PM

From the Baja Pony Express...
TIP ARTICLE — TIP or no TIP and more. First let me establish the base for the reasons the Secretary of Finance of the State of Baja California Sur seized certain land vehicles and other goods which were not imported. The President of Mexico issued a presidential decree ordering the seizure of trailers which were not imported and the State Sec. of Finance has an accord with the Federal Custom dept. to be able to do seizures on non imported goods. Mexico, as any other country, has laws and regulations regarding the entrance of goods in the country, they are known as IMPORTATION or CUSTOMS LAWS AND REGULATIONS, the federal government dept., of CUSTOMS is the one which applies the legislation, and if they find out a good was not imported can, in virtue of the law and regulations seize the goods and apply fines and can incarcerate the person who did not respect the law plus as indicated in the previous paragraph the Sec. of Finance of BCS has an agreement with the federal government to seize. In Mexico, for logistics reasons the federal government invented what has become known as a TIP (Temporary Importation Permit) process allowing a land vehicle to be able to travel in Mexico; but they made exceptions for the complete Baja California peninsula and other States. Thus, we will now only talk about the necessity of having a TIP or NOT on a land vehicle in BCS. Many articles were published on the Internet, some not so bad and some no so good, in general providing incomplete or confusing information. The only good articles are the ones published by government these articles are very precise. http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_tempo... is where one finds the 5 W’s (Who, Where Why and When) regarding the TIP plus the cost of a TIP and what can be included with the vehicle. As with any publication one has to read not only words but association of words, it is very important regarding foreigners: “… foreigners with a visitor’s permit, temporary resident and student temporary resident may temporarily import a single vehicle…” There is NO mention of a permanent resident….As for a seized vehicle: A TIP can not be issued after the vehicle as been seized. As for the ones who say that they will not pay the fines and taxes; These do not go away and private property(ies) can be seized. In other words, the TIP process for a “land vehicle” is available to foreigners who are in the country on a temporary visit; the TIP expires on the final day of the “FMM” or the last day indicated on the temporary resident card. A TIP can NOT be issued to foreigners who have elected to live in a permanent manner in Mexico; The Presidential decree has a final date: Month of July 2022, once expired the Sec. of Finance of the State of BCS will apply the law thus continue to seize any article that was not imported as per the law. They will seize all land vehicles that are illegal in Mexico where ever they are, be on the street, on private property or any other locations. As for the “permanent resident” options, said person MUST import his or her land vehicle which is in Mexico, the FULL importation process can only be done at the border through an importation broker and there are rules that limit the importation. For vehicles which do not meet the rules, were fabricated in Canada, USA or Mexico and came in Mexico before 2019, the new system known as the Nationalization by presidential decree is available at a very low cost plus enables one to get local plates which are required after 15 days of residence in a municipality along with local driver`s Permit. In conclusion, legislations are modified and enacted all the time thus, it is important that one checks regularly on a particular subject so as not to be taken by surprise using ONLY the articles published by the government as the “bible”.Lic. JACQUES-EDOUARD BEAULNE, LL.B., D.D.N. LAWYER IN MEXICO, STATE CED. PROF. 0086

Looks as they are going to finally crack down on people not being completely honest.

surabi - 5-14-2023 at 05:05 PM

I have said before that it's illegal for permanent residents to drive a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico (and Baja is a part of Mexico), but Baja nomads have always seemed to think they don't have to abide by that law.

JZ - 5-14-2023 at 05:20 PM

Paragraph breaks are your friend.

TIP ARTICLE — TIP or no TIP and more. First let me establish the base for the reasons the Secretary of Finance of the State of Baja California Sur seized certain land vehicles and other goods which were not imported. The President of Mexico issued a presidential decree ordering the seizure of trailers which were not imported and the State Sec. of Finance has an accord with the Federal Custom dept. to be able to do seizures on non imported goods.

Mexico, as any other country, has laws and regulations regarding the entrance of goods in the country, they are known as IMPORTATION or CUSTOMS LAWS AND REGULATIONS, the federal government dept., of CUSTOMS is the one which applies the legislation, and if they find out a good was not imported can, in virtue of the law and regulations seize the goods and apply fines and can incarcerate the person who did not respect the law plus as indicated in the previous paragraph the Sec. of Finance of BCS has an agreement with the federal government to seize.

In Mexico, for logistics reasons the federal government invented what has become known as a TIP (Temporary Importation Permit) process allowing a land vehicle to be able to travel in Mexico; but they made exceptions for the complete Baja California peninsula and other States. Thus, we will now only talk about the necessity of having a TIP or NOT on a land vehicle in BCS.

Many articles were published on the Internet, some not so bad and some no so good, in general providing incomplete or confusing information. The only good articles are the ones published by government these articles are very precise. http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_tempo... is where one finds the 5 W’s (Who, Where Why and When) regarding the TIP plus the cost of a TIP and what can be included with the vehicle.

As with any publication one has to read not only words but association of words, it is very important regarding foreigners: “… foreigners with a visitor’s permit, temporary resident and student temporary resident may temporarily import a single vehicle…” There is NO mention of a permanent resident….As for a seized vehicle: A TIP can not be issued after the vehicle as been seized. As for the ones who say that they will not pay the fines and taxes; These do not go away and private property(ies) can be seized.

In other words, the TIP process for a “land vehicle” is available to foreigners who are in the country on a temporary visit; the TIP expires on the final day of the “FMM” or the last day indicated on the temporary resident card. A TIP can NOT be issued to foreigners who have elected to live in a permanent manner in Mexico; The Presidential decree has a final date: Month of July 2022, once expired the Sec. of Finance of the State of BCS will apply the law thus continue to seize any article that was not imported as per the law. They will seize all land vehicles that are illegal in Mexico where ever they are, be on the street, on private property or any other locations.

As for the “permanent resident” options, said person MUST import his or her land vehicle which is in Mexico, the FULL importation process can only be done at the border through an importation broker and there are rules that limit the importation. For vehicles which do not meet the rules, were fabricated in Canada, USA or Mexico and came in Mexico before 2019, the new system known as the Nationalization by presidential decree is available at a very low cost plus enables one to get local plates which are required after 15 days of residence in a municipality along with local driver`s Permit.

In conclusion, legislations are modified and enacted all the time thus, it is important that one checks regularly on a particular subject so as not to be taken by surprise using ONLY the articles published by the government as the “bible”.Lic. JACQUES-EDOUARD BEAULNE, LL.B., D.D.N. LAWYER IN MEXICO, STATE CED. PROF. 0086

[Edited on 5-15-2023 by JZ]

JZ - 5-14-2023 at 05:28 PM

At least part of the article doesn't sound correct to me. Or at a minimum it is ambiguous. Also note, it was written by a lawyer. I.e. he is using the article to drum up business.

I'm unaware of someone needing a TIP in Baja for a regular vehicle or trailer. On the mainland, yes a TIP is required if a) you drive South or East of certain cities in Sonora or b) your are carrying or towing things like dirt bikes, UTV's, etc.

TIPs are required in Baja for boats, except very small ones.

Not sure about RV's. Guessing they are required in Baja.

mtgoat666 - 5-14-2023 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
At least part of the article doesn't sound correct to me. Or at a minimum it is ambiguous. Also note, it was written by a lawyer. I.e. he is using the article to drum up business.

I'm unaware of someone needing a TIP in Baja for a regular vehicle or trailer. On the mainland, yes a TIP is required if a) you drive South or East of certain cities in Sonora or b) your are carrying or towing things like dirt bikes, UTV's, etc.

TIPs are required in Baja for boats, except very small ones.

Not sure about RV's. Guessing they are required in Baja.

I get the impression that tips are not reqd for typical short-term tourist visit, but when you put your vehicle in storage or vehicle stays for longer than a tourist stays,… then tips are required

I see a lot of gringo-owned vehicles that are in baja for quite a long time w/o any sort of proper paperwork… Lots of people living in baja in a gray area, and many of these same people have common feature of gray hair :lol:

charliemanson - 5-15-2023 at 06:04 AM

Jizzy, this is another “copy and paste“ from the same Los Barriles source. I did not rewrite it with your required paragraphs.

It is solely for information to people living here in their trailers and Motorhomes.....

“Our 5th wheel trailer is one of 16 trailers impounded at Verdugo’s Storage. The 16 page notice listing all the trailers was from the Secretaria de Finanzas y Administracion, Gobierno de Baja California Sur, subsecretaria de Finanzas, Direccion de Fiscalizacion Aduanera. Per article 106, section V, of the Customs Law, 162 of the Regulation of the Customs Law and rule 4.2.6 of the General Rules of Foreign Trade (I have a copy), a TIP is required ( I think because the trailer was under the guardianship of a Mexican company). I started the regularization process. Anyone else?“

And I I understand “ they are“ going to be moving up the coast to the La Ventana area soon as well as the airport storage in La Paz.

It appears this administration is trying to clean up undocumented vehicles in Baja, hence the easy method they have set up to import the undocumented vehicles over the past 6-9 months.

PaulW - 5-15-2023 at 07:46 AM

WOW. There must be thousands of RVs in Baja that are at risk.
TIPS for RVs are very rare when crossing into Baja.

4x4abc - 5-15-2023 at 09:01 AM

this thread might get as popular as the "palm tree under water" thread

David K - 5-15-2023 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

On other sites, months ago, it was made clear... if you vacation in Baja (FMM holder), your personal property, vehicles, etc. cannot stay in Mexico.. as then that means you are not a 'tourist' but instead a 'part-time resident' hopefully with the correct immigration papers.

Since there are countless gringos who don't care about learning this rule... or just ignore it, and they leave their trailers and cars in Baja, when they fly home or drive home in another car: THAT IS WHERE THE TIP RULE IS NOW ENFORCED. Traveling motorhomes, trailers that are not left in Baja do not need a TIP.

This was the message given on other sites last year...

BigOly - 5-15-2023 at 11:23 AM

I'm still confused. Been staying at my casa for winter time for 23 years. I have PR and drive my car back and forth to the states but sometimes I do fly. It's licensed in the states. Insured in both countries. Someone said I need Mexican plates. That doesn't make any sense to me if I'm driving back to the U.S.

David K - 5-15-2023 at 11:32 AM

I think the answer to these two questions is the key:

1) Does the property ever stay in Mexico when you leave?

2) Which are you holding?:
.....a) Mexico’s visitor permit, FMM
.....b) Mexico’s temporary residency visa
.....c)Mexico’s permanent residency visa

For the details: https://www.mexperience.com/lifestyle/living-in-mexico/visas...

2023 Updated immigration guide (free): https://www.mexperience.com/mexico-immigration-guide-ebook/

[Edited on 5-15-2023 by David K]

charliemanson - 5-15-2023 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Source of income from people who have chronically abused the system by not paying their fair share is now catching up.

We import all of our cars we bring down, for $2,500 pesos here in La Paz and our yearly rate is a whopping $250 pesos a year, and we have Full national plates! Takes a whopping 45 min to do the process...possibly the easiest thing ever to get accomplished.

surabi - 5-15-2023 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigOly  
I'm still confused. Been staying at my casa for winter time for 23 years. I have PR and drive my car back and forth to the states but sometimes I do fly. It's licensed in the states. Insured in both countries. Someone said I need Mexican plates. That doesn't make any sense to me if I'm driving back to the U.S.

It's immaterial whether it makes sense to you or not. (And BTW, you can't drive a foreign plated vehicle around in the US or Canada for more than a brief amount of time, regardless of whether you plan to drive it back to Mexico sometime in the future- so it's not something unique to Mexico)
It's Mexican Customs law that it's illegal for permanent residents to bring in, or drive a foreign plated car in Mexico. Permanent residents on the mainland got rid of their NOB plated cars years ago. It's just taken this long for Baja to enforce the law. Your vehicle can be confiscated.
Some couples keep one residency as temporal specifically so they can keep their NOB plated car in Mexico and drive it back and forth.

[Edited on 5-15-2023 by surabi]

JZ - 5-15-2023 at 03:19 PM

Mexico should be satisfied with all the $'s Americans are pumping into the MX economy.

It's crazy how some of you just want to tax people endlessly.

mtgoat666 - 5-15-2023 at 03:58 PM

Mexico should be satisfied with all the $'s Americans are pumping into the MX economy.

Likewise, Undocumented Mexicans already support the usa economy thru all their below-market rate labor and mexicans in in usa should be exempt from usa taxes. Dont you agree, half pint?

BigOly - 5-15-2023 at 04:49 PM

I don't mind importing my car. I'm PR but my wife is Temp. but will have PR status next year. If we drive to the border now where do we go to import the old car? I'm in Los barriles.

surabi - 5-15-2023 at 04:55 PM

It's crazy how you just want to tax people endlessly.

It has nothing to do with taxes. It's customs law. Exists in the US, Canada, and most other countries. Would someone who resided in the US just be allowed to drive a Mexican plated vehicle around in the US forever? No.

"Mexico should be satisfied..." sounds like telling blacks they shouldn't complain about how they are treated, instead they should be grateful that they are no longer slaves.

surabi - 5-15-2023 at 05:00 PM

I don't mind importing my car. I'm PR but my wife is Temp. but will have PR status next year. If we drive to the border now where do we go to import the old car? I'm in Los barriles.

Is your car manufactured in the US? If it's Japanese-made, or not manufactured in the US, Canada, or Mexico, you can't import it, so check that first. Also only certain age cars can be imported. Depending on how much the importation costs, it might he more cost effective to leave your US car NOB, and buy a Mexican beater to drive around and leave in Mexico.

charliemanson - 5-15-2023 at 05:51 PM

In La Paz at the municipal building on Colima.

Thanks for being proactive in paying a fraction of what it is in the USA to help provide better roads....or better food for the Govt. officials.

At least you can drive around and not get looked at by medium to upperclass locals as a “P-nche gringo“, nor worry about your vehicle getting confiscated at some random stop.

charliemanson - 5-15-2023 at 05:58 PM

This is not a political issue that you want to make it. It is only about doing right for the land that most people here spend most of their time and need to be informed of what is taking place.

We do not need your right winged BS here as you are the type that give the ones like us a really bad name here. Take your S..t to Florida with your new master and leave the rest of us alone to do the right thing!

charliemanson - 5-15-2023 at 06:01 PM

So just go away and make the rest of us happy...maybe “we“ are trying to weed out the ones we dont like...ever think of that!

BigOly - 5-15-2023 at 06:53 PM

I just found this...interesting.

https://www.regularizaauto.sspc.gob.mx/

charliemanson - 5-15-2023 at 07:42 PM

I just found this...interesting.

https://www.regularizaauto.sspc.gob.mx/

Yup, just that easy...exactly what I found.

Thanks for the post!

gnukid - 5-15-2023 at 07:49 PM

It's great to come to baja nomads and get all wrong info from curmudgeon people who have no valid experience on the ground.

surabi - 5-15-2023 at 08:17 PM

Well good thing we have you here, gnukid, the foremost expert (in your own mind) on everything from Covid to buying land that can be taken away from you, to regularizing a car. Anything else you're the ultimate authority on?

mtgoat666 - 5-15-2023 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
It's great to come to baja nomads and get all wrong info from curmudgeon people who have no valid experience on the ground.

It is great to come to baja nomadlandia and get all the curmudgeon’s opinions on his fellow curmudgeons!

surabi - 5-15-2023 at 09:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  

This is not a political issue that you want to make it. It is only about doing right for the land that most people here spend most of their time and need to be informed of what is taking place.

We do not need your right winged BS here as you are the type that give the ones like us a really bad name here. Take your S..t to Florida with your new master and leave the rest of us alone to do the right thing!

Doing the right thing to JZ, apparently means doing what is of benefit to himself. This is the guy who brags publicly about sneaking his dog in the back door of no-pets hotels, and advised others to do the same.

4x4abc - 5-16-2023 at 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Doing the right thing to JZ, apparently means doing what is of benefit to himself. This is the guy who brags publicly about sneaking his dog in the back door of no-pets hotels, and advised others to do the same.

that's what most humans do

if a right & wrong compass were built in, we would not need any laws

4x4abc - 5-16-2023 at 09:37 AM

the ones that scream the loudest about following the law are usually the first ones to fail
Priest, Politicians etc

charliemanson - 5-16-2023 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

Been here and married to a live long business owner for 25 years and you are saying exactly what?

JZ - 5-16-2023 at 02:10 PM

charliemanson - 5-16-2023 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

that's what most humans do

if a right & wrong compass were built in, we would not need any laws

You have already showed us all that you dont believe in laws or doing the right thing.
Remember when you posted you went around La Paz all the time without a mask when we were in Covid crisis?
I do!

sancho - 5-16-2023 at 04:27 PM

this thread might get as popular as the "palm tree under water" thread

Lets hope not, 1000 replies and still going, BN's have way
too much time on their hands

4x4abc - 5-16-2023 at 07:37 PM

You have already showed us all that you dont believe in laws or doing the right thing.
Remember when you posted you went around La Paz all the time without a mask when we were in Covid crisis?
I do!

memory and age rarely go well together
I always wore a mask - I still do
posting about not wearing a mask in La Paz?
what can I say - wasn't me
go check your memory

Lengua - 5-16-2023 at 08:41 PM

Question , we have a 10 year TIP for our boat that we leave at the marina in La Paz.

Can you get a 10 year TIP for you vehicle and leave it in Mexico like we do with the boat or does it have to exit when you leave? Over the years when we had towable boats we left out truck in Mexico at the airport storage in La Paz and Loreto. We would fly down and grab our truck and boat and put it in the marina. We had a TIP for our smaller center console back in those days.

The question is , Can I get a 10 year TIP for the truck? WE are not temp Residents or permanent residents. We only get the 6 month FMM that they hand out on the plane.

surabi - 5-16-2023 at 08:54 PM

No, you can't get a 10 year TIP for your truck. A TIP is valid for the length of your immigration status- 180 days as a tourist, and In the case of temporary residents, it is good for as long as the length of the temporary residency.
And they don't hand out FMMs on the plane anymore, those have been pretty much phased out. Now they just stamp your passport when you go through immigration.

[Edited on 5-17-2023 by surabi]

JZ - 5-16-2023 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lengua  
Question , we have a 10 year TIP for our boat that we leave at the marina in La Paz.

Can you get a 10 year TIP for you vehicle and leave it in Mexico like we do with the boat or does it have to exit when you leave? Over the years when we had towable boats we left out truck in Mexico at the airport storage in La Paz and Loreto. We would fly down and grab our truck and boat and put it in the marina. We had a TIP for our smaller center console back in those days.

The question is , Can I get a 10 year TIP for the truck? WE are not temp Residents or permanent residents. We only get the 6 month FMM that they hand out on the plane.

You can't get a 10 year TIP on a car/truck. But you don't need one. Because you don't have to have a TIP to bring/drive a car/truck in Baja.

It is true that you can't just leave it in Baja. But who is going to know you are leaving it there unless it's sitting outside or, maybe, someone tattles on you?

If you have an RV or boat in Baja, and you leave it, that is a whole other story. You better get a 10 year TIP or you will very likely be screwed.

Things to consider about the ppl going nuts in this thread:

a) The article was written by an attorney to scare ppl and drum up business

b) One of the main protagonist lives in mainland MX where vehicle TIPs are required. She doesn't ever go to Baja and is just inflaming the situation because that's what she does.

c) The OP (original poster) is also "stirring the pot." I sense that he is mad at some of his gringo neighbors and is a tattletale.

surabi - 5-17-2023 at 12:44 AM

b) One of the main protagonist lives in mainland MX where vehicle TIPs are required. She doesn't ever go to Baja and is just inflaming the situation because that's what she does.

Obviously you are referring to me. I am not "inflaming the situation". I answered the question as to whether one could get a 10 year TIP, which you can't, and you unnecessarily repeated, and said it's illegal for a permanent resident to drive a foreign-plated car in Mexico, which is true.
And yes, I go to Baja. Have driven the length of Baja several times and spent quite a bit of time there. Stop saying stupid things you know nothing about.

mtgoat666 - 5-17-2023 at 07:10 AM

c) The OP (original poster) is also "stirring the pot." I sense that he is mad at some of his gringo neighbors and is a tattletale.

Hmmmmm….

And how shall we categorize self-appointed critic, Jizzy half pint? :?:

charliemanson - 5-17-2023 at 02:36 PM

the article at the beginning is from Lic. JACQUES-EDOUARD BEAULNE, LL.B., D.D.N. LAWYER IN MEXICO, STATE CED. PROF. 0086
a local Centenario character who is very much "loved" in the community
a Canadian immigrant with a Mexican passport
he is about as well regarded as charliemanson
they could be twin brothers

lawyer Jacques runs a restaurant in Centenario and argues on facebook with neighbors about driving too fast in front of his house - while racing himself through the neighborhood like a maniac
as I said - he is well known

he would be a perfect additional member to BajaNomad

[Edited on 5-17-2023 by 4x4abc]

Then I suppose the 16 people who had their RV“s confiscated are all just “disinformation“.

I will admit that I despise people driving around with no plates from here as I find them as scammers, as do the local Mexicans. It is cheating the system that in there country would never tolerate.

The purpose of the initial post was solely to inform what apparently is happening...nothing more.

Sure is easy here to see who is a MAGAot and who is normal however.

JZ - 5-17-2023 at 02:53 PM

Then I suppose the 16 people who had their RV“s confiscated are all just “disinformation“.

I will admit that I despise people driving around with no plates from here as I find them as scammers, as do the local Mexicans. It is cheating the system that in there country would never tolerate.

The purpose of the initial post was solely to inform what apparently is happening...nothing more.

Sure is easy here to see who is a MAGAot and who is normal however.

Give me a break. I see lots of Mexicans driving US plated cars in Baja and Sonora. They just don't take them out on the highway.

And you being happy about someone losing their property is disturbing. The political attack at the end was a nice touch.

[Edited on 5-18-2023 by JZ]

surabi - 5-17-2023 at 03:00 PM

Where did he say he was happy about someone losing their property? Saying he dislikes people cheating the system doesn't imply any such thing, you just made that up, like you made up that I never come to Baja.

And what Mexicans do in their own country is a different issue than foreigners breaking the law here.

JZ - 5-17-2023 at 03:57 PM

I said you don't go to Baja. Not that you haven't sometime in the distant past been to Baja.

When exactly was the last time you were in Baja? Where did you go and what did you do? I've never seen you post a Baja story, or a sunset picture, or even a restaurant recommendation.

Best I can tell you are only here for the sh#t talking and scolding us all for having fun. I'd love to hear you explain your love for Baja.

[Edited on 5-17-2023 by JZ]

surabi - 5-17-2023 at 05:40 PM

Just can't help continuing to act like an idjit, I see. You know nothing about where and when I travel, yet feel entitled to make ridiculous speculations about "sometime in the distant past".

Restaurant reviews and sunset photos? Sunset photos are boring- everyone knows what sunsets look like. I don't go to Baja as a tourist, eating out at restaurants and staying in hotels and tearing through the desert on exhaust-spewing boys' toys- my daughter and her family live there. I go on a regular basis to visit them.

mtgoat666 - 5-17-2023 at 06:35 PM

Best I can tell you are only here for the sh#t talking and scolding us all

Jizzy, sounds just like you!

4x4abc - 5-17-2023 at 07:39 PM

in case you have not read it yet
https://www.discoverbaja.com/2023/03/02/update-for-temporary...

JZ - 5-17-2023 at 08:05 PM

Fantastic info Harald. Thank you for sharing.

The states of Baja California & Baja California Sur are still free zones and do not require a temporary importation permit (TIP) for a vehicle as long as you have your FMM and are driving down and coming back with your vehicle (even if it’s an RV).

Mexico customs wants to verify that all vehicles are legal in the country. Here are the current TIP rules for vehicles and RVs being stored in Baja California:

-If you plan to leave a motorhome, RV, or 5th wheel in storage in Baja, a TIP is now required. You can obtain a 10-year TIP and will be legal in storage as long as you have current registration and license plates (even if the owner is out of the country). You should leave the current registration with the storage manager/owner so they can act on your behalf if needed.

-Golf carts being brought into Baja need to have a TIP. This must be done through a customs broker.

-Cars and motorcycles being left in storage in Baja do NOT need a TIP as long as registration and license plates are current.

-If you have a home in México and leave your vehicles there, you do not need a TIP as long as the vehicle is not on the street and always has current license plates and registration.

-If you already have a “precautionary seize” or warning, you have 10 working days to show proof that the vehicle has a TIP. If not, you can designate the storage owner or other person to obtain the TIP on your behalf. The owner/manager of the storage can get their TIPs issued directly at the customs agency since they are the legal representative. They can start the process with copies of documents, but once their permit is going to be issued, they do need original documents. If you have your vehicle in precautionary seize, you can not do your TIP online since there is already a case open on your vehicle.

-If you leave your vehicle at a marina or airport and travel within Mexican territory by boat or plane, you do NOT need to get a TIP (as long as the vehicle has current registration and license plates).

-Each person may only have one TIP issued in the same category. So you can have a TIP for your RV and another TIP for your car, but may not have two TIPs for two cars.

TIPs can be obtained at the border or in Pichilingue in La Paz.

gnukid - 5-17-2023 at 10:06 PM

Note there is no source, date, author for this article. There is no evidence that this is a valid government legal position, as well, if you read the article it is ambiguous, confusing, inconsistent.

There are no confiscations of parked vehicles currently, in fact there is an Amparo against confiscations due to lack of justifications for fees and process, police confiscations lots are entirely empty currently, and there are no clear requirements for TIP in Baja for vehicles.

BigOly - 5-18-2023 at 06:57 AM

I'm a PR in Mexico and a U.S. citizen. I have a home in both countries. Have been driving my Oregon plated car back and forth for 23 years, same car. So what now, I'm supposed to change cars at the border to enter either country?

BigOly - 5-18-2023 at 08:47 AM

Mexico isn't a jail cell. We enjoy going back and forth at our own pace to do whatever and whenever we want. See family, friends etc.

Lee - 5-18-2023 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I'm a PR in Mexico and a U.S. citizen. I have a home in both countries. Have been driving my Oregon plated car back and forth for 23 years, same car. So what now, I'm supposed to change cars at the border to enter either country?

I understand the inconvenience, but this evokes an interesting philosophical question which I've often puzzled over: Are those folks who spend only part of the year in Mexico, really legitimate "permanent residents"?

Define ''part of the year?'' At the time I got my PR, INA had a specific number of months they wanted out of 2 consecutive years. Forget what the number is. Full time residency wasn't required.

4x4abc - 5-18-2023 at 10:12 AM

Mexico isn't a jail cell. We enjoy going back and forth at our own pace to do whatever and whenever we want. See family, friends etc.

now that is the right attitude!
The one Americans are loved for.
we do whatever we want!

4x4abc - 5-18-2023 at 10:18 AM

please note that there are different laws for Mexico and both Bajas.
In Baja you can drive your US plated car without restrictions.
In mainland Mexico you can not (TIP required)

4x4abc - 5-18-2023 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

I understand the inconvenience, but this evokes an interesting philosophical question which I've often puzzled over: Are those folks who spend only part of the year in Mexico, really legitimate "permanent residents"?

interesting point
I remember a minimum time requirement for PR holders to be in the country
if you are just an occasional visitor, INM might revoke your PR
someone with more knowledge should clarify that for us

surabi - 5-18-2023 at 10:27 AM

There are 10s of thousands of people in exactly your same circumstances. They don't "change cars at the border", they fly back and forth and have a vehicle at each home.
Mexico isn't a prison cell, neither is it a place you have a right to be without abiding by the laws. And the laws are not made with your personal convenience in mind.

[Edited on 5-18-2023 by surabi]

surabi - 5-18-2023 at 10:34 AM

There is no legal minimum time requirement to stay in Mexico. There is only a requirement to have spent a certain amount of time over the previous 5 years, I think, if you want to apply for citizenship. I don't know how many days that is, but asI recall, it amounts to more time in Mexico than out.

4x4abc - 5-18-2023 at 12:08 PM

There is no legal minimum time requirement to stay in Mexico. There is only a requirement to have spent a certain amount of time over the previous 5 years, I think, if you want to apply for citizenship. I don't know how many days that is, but asI recall, it amounts to more time in Mexico than out.

that's why I was asking for someone with knowledge

dtbushpilot - 5-18-2023 at 12:56 PM

In La Paz at the municipal building on Colima.

Thanks for being proactive in paying a fraction of what it is in the USA to help provide better roads....or better food for the Govt. officials.

At least you can drive around and not get looked at by medium to upperclass locals as a “P-nche gringo“, nor worry about your vehicle getting confiscated at some random stop.

Is there a specific place/office/counter to go to? Just trying to narrow it down for someone without good command of the Spanish language. What about facilitator? Do you know anyone that could help someone navigate the process? Thank you.

surabi - 5-18-2023 at 01:10 PM

that's why I was asking for someone with knowledge

The question of whether there is a minimum stay requirement for permanentes has been asked and answered numerous times over the years on various Mexico forums. There are no requirements.

I just don't know the exact requirements if you want to apply for citizenship.

Of course, if immigration records show that a permanent resident has not spent any time in Mexico in the past 10 years, it's possible that one could be questioned, and have their residency revoked if that's what immigration decides to do.
But it seems that that would be a rare situation- most permanentes either live in Mexico full-time, or go back and forth every year.