PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 05:08 PM

view towards the yurt across from us at sunset:

[Edited on 9-29-2005 by woody in ob]

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 05:12 PM

Hard to tell much from that. But that does look like Gary's fold up boat in the foreground.
I do love that place. It is truly an oasis within an oasis.
When the dates are falling from all those date palms, Gary takes them to his farm and feed them to his hogs....well I will tell you that you will never have better pork in your life. We were fortunate to be there for a pork roast dinner. To die for.
Do make a reservation...was it Bob...as they fill up pretty fast.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 05:14 PM

This was taken from the dock there.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 05:57 PM

bajabob, why not go straight north from San Ignacio/Vizcaino to L.A. Bay and avoid the double crossing of Baja via Guerrero Negro?

Also, you can scope out San Francisquito that way... a truly beautiful place!

Do you know how I mean?

A few miles past Vizcaino, take the graded road northeast to Guillermo Prieto. Then straight north across the border to the San Francisquito-El Arco road (at Arroyo La Purificacion on the maps). A side trip to Mision Santa Gertrudis is easy from this road, as well.

Just a thought!?:wow: GPS data for this road is in my web site's GPS page.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 07:42 PM

With no camper - stay in San Ignacio. You could also take the Pacific coast route after that- Abreojos - Tortugas - Vizcaino.

WEveryone has the favorite routes - some promote them more than others. Just explore and find yours!
bajabob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 07:51 AM
great photos and tips

Woody and BajaJudy,
thanks nice photos and excellent advice. Sounds like a great place, But with all that said, the info I have gleaned from this post has left me with a feeling that the B&B in San Ignacio is someplace I must take my wife to for our anniversary. That's a romantic place!
bajabob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 07:56 AM
El Arco

David K,
I know what you mean and I'll check out the alternate route. Some of the fellows wanted to check out the missions and El Arco, my friend Ric wanted to try to cross the uncharted goat trail from El Arco to BOLA but thankfully I talked him out of it. Ol' Corky may still make a go of it; hope to see him in BOLA or Gonzaga. Thanks, bob
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 08:47 AM

Hmmm... uncharted goat trail huh?

Well, the eastern branch of the El Camino Real (The Gulfo Camino) starts near El Arco and goes northeast to Tinaja Santa Maria, then curves northwest passing Rancho La Bocana and heads up Arroyo San Pedro to San Gregorio and Mision San Borja.

I have been on parts of it, and I do not think it is entirely rideable on a m/c... a mule yes!

Here's Tinaja Santa Maria on the Gulfo Camino Real:

Here's La Bocana's workout center (behind the ranchhouse)

Here's the road between La Bocana and Tinaja Santa Maria, very near the Gulfo Camino... Note giant cardons!

You guys will have fun no matter what you decide!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 08:58 AM
Uncharted goat trails

Yes, that's it! Uncharted on the Baja Almanac but not the Baja Nomad! No burros coming with us this trip so I will pass on the gnarly boulders. I will send this photo to my friend Ric to remind him of what he will be missing out on. Gracias!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 09:21 AM

The Melarrimo [sp?] is a pleasantly funky place that doesn't follow the usual hotel game-plan, with rooms neatly arranged around a central hallway. It's been added onto here and there, sort of helter-skelter. The decor is different, too--one room we stayed in had a whale-tale stairway that led up to a loft bed--my young granddaughter loved it!--and some of the lamp shades are made out of cirio tree skeletons. Cool place.

Great photos, Judy, along with a lot of interesting info. You really do get around!

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 10:41 AM

Thanks, Lera
My area of expertise is definitely BCS. Dont often go north of Guerrero Negro, although we did spend a good bit of time in Bahia de Los Angeles and points south along the coast and inland. One of the most interesting days I have ever spent in Baja was in Posa Alaman(not sure on the spelling...its an old mine) I am saving those photos for publication as I got some unbelievable shots there.
BTW...did you check you u2u?

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 03:12 PM

If you're into fresh water fishing, while you're at SI toss a line into the first lagoon. You might be surprised at what's in there.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 03:32 PM

My picture is from that lagoon which is river fed. You can fish from the dock at San Ignacio B&B. They even have tackle. You can fish from one of their kayaks.
I guess you can tell that I really love the place.

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 04:06 PM

Judy, I'm right withya on that! Those friendly Canacians have done a wonderful job of adapting the accommodations to the situation instead of vice versa.

Yep, got the U2U. Thanks again.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Anonymous
Unregistered

puzzled.gif posted on 10-1-2005 at 12:40 AM
What type of fish are there in the river?

Fresh water fish in Baja? Pirahnna?:O
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 07:25 AM

i have just joined the nomads, altho for some reason cannot log in. i am 67 live in denver formely san bernardino ca, been to san felipe lots and puerto penasco, just bought a jeep cherokee , that is pretty much stock, and am planing to go to baja sur for a extended camping and fishing trip, i need some advice . i am on supplemental oxygen aand need to know where i can get bottles filled in mex ? i am able to carry a 10 day supply with me i figure on camping 3 days then a motel for a day or so . i want to go to l,a,bay loretto conception bay, is the camping safe there also want to stop in san quintin but hear about campers being robbed thier so don't know about that altho my cherokee is in great shape and has just had a 60,000service new brakes and shock ,it is stock. should it be modified in any way for the trip ,also read somewhere you can't bring extra gas down to baja is that true? enough for now i hope some one can help me and answer by my e mail , till i can log in thanks jim:lol::lol::coolup::coolup::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::spingrin::wow:;);)
Corky1
Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-1-2005 at 07:58 AM
Type of fish in lagoon!!

The fish in the lagoon are both salt and fresh water swimmers.
ie- They go both ways such as some enclaves known to frequent San Francisco.

They are mud sucking bottom feeders that are afraid to show their faces to the light of day for fear they may have to stand up and defend what they print but won't sign.

I call them "Anonymous Fish"

My .02

:fire: Corky :fire:

P.S. Not meant for Jim from Colo.

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 05:48 PM

Actually they are Israel Carp and Bass (I met the guy who's responsible for the bass being in there on my last trip)

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 06:23 PM

Jim from CO.

Welcome to the group; I'm an old SB High alum myself (among other places).

I'm afraid I can't help on the O2 but I can give you my opinion on some of the other questions.

1) safe camping - yes, it's safe. I boondock in a lot of the places, including Bahia Concepcion and haven't had any problems or heard of any. (I haven't heard of any problems at San Quintin, I stopped there last year but maybe someone else has newer info). That said, I can't recommend boondocking/camping on the beach at San Quintin because of all the migrant workers employed at the produce plants/farms. I would recommend you stay at one of the RV parks.

2) Jeep - Should be OK, the only mods would be good tires and a good spare (two if you're into serious off-roading).

3) Extra Gas - Why would you want to bring the expensive US gas into Mexico? It's a lot cheaper in Baja. Unless you plan on getting really off the beaten path, and you can get 250 -300 miles on a tank, you shouldn't need extra gas. But if you do, just bring the gas cans and fill them up on the Mexican side of the border. The worst streach is the 'gas gap' between El Rosario and Villa Jesus Maria, a distance of 195 miles (but you might want to continue on another 22 miles to Guerrero Negro for fuel as there has been reports of people being ripped off at the JM Pemex station.) Of course, the turn-off to LA Bay is along this 'gas gap' and there is a new Pemex station at LA Bay now.

Ask lots of questions here and pick up a copy of Mike and Terri Church's Travelers Guide to Camping Mexico's Baja. (www.rollinghomes.com) and you'll be all set.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 07:28 PM

Independent gasoline distributors sell gasoline at the L.A. Bay turnoff for about $3/gal. and at Catavina when the Pemex pump in front of the hotel is closed.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.