Author: Subject: Small Inverters ?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 09:24 AM

A 400w inverter is small....

I just assisted a friend installing a 400w in his truck..he paid $20
This thing your looking at is $130
I cut the lighter plug off and hard wired it in.

Get at least a 700w to run the coffee pot:yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 09:46 AM

Xantrex has a very good reputation and is customer friendly if you have a problem with one of their products.

However! 320 watts continuous calculates to 2.8 amps @ 115 VAC. So you aren't going to power much or for very long. Like they say in their ad, it's for emergency and powering small items. What they don't say is that it's also just for a short time. It also takes about 30 hours to recharge from a fully discharged state.

What it doesn't say is whether you can charge it and use the inverter (or air compressor) at the same time.

I've got one just like it, only made by a different company and you cannot hook it up to an external dc source and run AC equipment at the same time. I use mine to inflate my bike & car tires. The DC & AC out might come in handy in an emergency but haven't used them yet.

[Edited on 12-31-2005 by turtleandtoad]

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 10:19 AM

You guys are great ! Nomads are an awsome source of information !

I should have been more specific;

We either tow a 22' camper with 2 RV batteries or carry a 9' pick-up camper that has 1 RV battery. Tow/carry rig is a diesel with 2 batteries.

When we dry camp it's normally for less than a week before we move along or hit someplace with power and water for a night or two. We use minimal power except the camper functions, lights, water pump, very occasional TV/DVD, radio or Mp3 with speakers, laptop and radio chargers from lighter plug, I also need a new inflator.

We aren't looking for much.
I thought about the small solar panel but kinda think that when I can idle the truck for 30-60 minutes every 2 or 3 days with it's big alternator, it seems too easy (and cheap).
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 10:30 AM

That's what we do on the boat....

...but you need at least 700w of power for the blender and coffee pot...spend $49 and get a little larger unit

oh yea...the electric hot plate takes too much:P

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 10:45 AM

I agree with Bob and Susan. Then buy a battery powered compressor separately. You can probably find one with the "Jump" feature, but without the inverter, cheaper. It'll take up a little more space but I think you'll be happier.

The big problem is that 30 hour recharge time. If you use it one day you have to charge for a day and a half.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 11:23 AM
DW Operation

Right now, I am running MY DW6000 Modem, my Netgear 802.11G Router and my Laptop charger from a Statpower Prowatt 150 and have been doing so for over a year with NO problems. I am running a Dishnet Receiver, DVD player and 10" Color TV off of a second Prowatt 150. Electronics are not a problem with small inverters. Power tools are another matter, but they'll for the most part run off of the cheapest inverters out there.

Speaking of Air Compressors, I just bought a 12vdc compressor at Walmart for a little over ten bucks. Couldn't pass it up. Tried it on one of my Samurai tires and it worked fine. No idea what the lifetime would be, of course, but "Such a Deal". For the serious stuff, of course, I have a couple of Real Compressors.

[Edited on 12-31-2005 by MrBillM]
Denver
Junior Nomad

Mood: Rollin'

thumbup.gif posted on 1-23-2006 at 08:15 PM
Thanks for the solar lesson

Muchas gracias Nomads! You're depth of knowledge regarding inverters and electric power in general is amazing. I hope to put the knowledge to use ASAP.

The Declaration of Independence only gives you the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.