BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Bay of LA, a couple questions?
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 02:53 PM

We were at Gecko June 24 - July1st - Plenty of scorpions - my brother even found one in his bed!
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 03:10 PM

Get your FMT for sure.

The hassle of getting your tourist card is much less than the potental hassles you face by not having it if someone asks for it.

You will most likely not need it; but, if you do, the mexican offical will be peeed and you could be out some serious money/time depending on your spanish skills and ability to smooth talk.

Have a great time.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 06:47 AM

gecko is indeed closed and i will post some pics of the dismantling of the cabins that is happening tonight.:coolup:
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 08:43 AM

Actually, the closest isla is 3 miles from Daggetts. Don't make a wrong assumption if you decide to paddle over there. It's about an hour's paddle - and be prepared to stay on an island overnight should the wind come up. Don't risk paddling back in 2 foot chop and wind.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 06:16 PM

july
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 06:17 PM

again
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 06:18 PM

again
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 08:25 PM

I'd camp in some of those paradors along the way.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 08:15 AM

Thanks Steve for posting the photos... Is Doc tearing those down to make a new row of ocean front lots for lease, or are they already leased and the new tennants are tearing them down to build their own place?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 11:44 AM

I can answer this one. :lol: Doc is tearing them down.:O All the lots are taken. :wow: No one is to build over 12 ft high on the front row.:bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 06:05 PM

Thanks David.... I figured as much... It sure was fun when all us Amigos then Nomads would be there at July 4th and New Years...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 06:30 PM

us local guys will still be throwing a party there for the new years. beach bob will be helping and all the rest of us locals leasing will be helping. the party hasnt stopped, it has just began.:bounce::coolup:
tfair

[*] posted on 7-26-2006 at 11:47 AM
LA Bay

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Planning a drive to BOLA, I've driven the
length of the peninsula but have not spent any
time at the Bay, I understand Camp Gecko
is closed, what are the other choices for
camping? I'm tent camping with kayak,
would perfer a structured setting with
showers, is there ice and gasoline
available? or is Catavina or El Rosario
the last place for gas? Is late Aug.
still too hot? What time should I cross
at Tijuana to make the 400 mi
drive in a day? I understand the
tourist card situation, do people
normally get a card for LABay,
or just get one if going south of
Guerro Negro?
thanks for your time
tfair

[*] posted on 7-26-2006 at 11:59 AM

Drove to LA Bay on July 6, 2006. We crossed at Tijuana with 2 vehicles (one was pulling a boat). We crossed at 6 am, and arrived at LA Bay at 4 pm. We stopped once for gas at San Quintin and once more to eat at Santa Rosalia.
We stayed at Los Ventanos Resort and Spa, whick I would not recommend. The rooms are very much overpriced ($150.00 dllrs)per night and the a/c does not work. The pool was filthy, and we had no water on 2 of the 4 mornings we were there. The food at the restaurant was very good, but only one meal per day (supper), with no menu.
As far as camping goes, I think Ruben Dagget's camp offers camping, but I don't know how to contact them as their web site doesn't seem to work. Larry and Raquel's has a 9 room hotel with excellent restaurant, but I don't know if they offer camp sites.
I have never gotten a tourist permit for travel above Guerrero Negro, and have never been asked for one.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2006 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tfair
We stopped once for gas at San Quintin and once more to eat at Santa Rosalia.

You probably mean El Rosario. Santa Rosalia is 4 hours past BOLA. I used to get those 2 names confused also.
tfair

[*] posted on 7-26-2006 at 04:59 PM

You are absolutely right, Skipjack. El Rosario is where we eat. Santa Rosalia is where we are going next summer for the Dorado Tournament.
Tfair
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2006 at 06:11 PM

You also probably mean LOS VIENTOS (The Winds) for that new luxery resort hotel:lol:
(La Ventana is the campo next door to Los Vientos Resort)

Another management disaster: Way too high a price so almost nobody stays there... and then no money for maintenance!

Why not try the new place Graham Mackintosh stayed at before he became 'self-marooned' on Angel Island?

http://www.villabahia.com/

[Edited on 7-27-2006 by David K]

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2006 at 10:25 PM

Sad, that is Brendan's and my home Steve (that cabin, Camp Gecko, and all of you friends), I've always felt safe there.....now what?

Mean people suck!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.