Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: driving to loreto
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 04:57 PM

"why don't you consider some humility and the possibility of being wrong and just saying "sorry, I disagree"? While you're at it, consider the possibility that you and your friends are incompetent boobs who shouldn't be allowed off I5"

Have you got any idea where we could learn some humility? Perhaps you could share this with us.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
Have you got any idea where we could learn some humility? Perhaps you could share this with us.

That's a good question, and I undoubtedly came on very strong. But, here's the point. Every time night driving is mentioned on this board, there's the whiner's brigade that bemoans the dangers of driving at night as if it were the worse thing you could possible do. Sure there are dangers to driving at night on a narrow road with no lights in the blackness of the Baja night, just as there are dangers to doing it during the day. And, if anyone suggests a different perspective, the "dumb advice" comments and more start to come out.

Now I realize that most people want to drive on wide, "safe" highways, with pushbutton controls and automatic everything, but the reality is that has little to do with driving - more like aiming the vehicle in the general direction of travel and pushing the accelerator orbreak pedal when necessary. That's fine, but it does not mean that people who drive and equip themselves differently are unsafe or even wrong.

[Edited on 7-17-2006 by Roberto]
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 06:57 PM

i've had a few close calls on the baja highway,all of them in the daytime...had a few people warn me of the perils of driving at night in baja and then a few years back took a trip down to san felipe and left about 10:00 at night,I have to say it was one of the easiest and quickest drives i've ever taken down to baja...I have to agree with Roberto that driving with caution and foresight is the best way to drive down in baja whether it is light or dark:cool:

bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 09:18 PM

I agree with Roberto also. Night driving can be safe as long as you observe all the normal precautions, which they teach you in any basic driving course, i.e., Don't overdrive your headlights, observe the speed limit, etc., and on and on. The thing is, who does all the right stuff? In Baja, most of the local drivers are not on the roads at night, it's us gringos and the Mexican pros in the 18 wheelers and other delivery vehicles running back and forth. And "they" (Mex pros) know the road better than anyone, as they traverse it constantly. You always have to be on your toes, there is always a possibility of animals, faulty lighting and who knows what? Weather plays into it, fatigue (on both sides). But it really isn't much more than you would expect on a similiar road up here in the states. We were chasing Larry Ragland in the Baja 2000 and going about 80mph between Guerrero Negro and Viscaino at midnight and came over a hump with about 10 burros in the bottom of the dip.. Of course we had the big lights etc., and were able to shut down in time, but under "normal" conditions, driving the speed limit, etc., it wouldn't have been a problem either.... So when you put everything in perspective I don't have a problem at all driving at night in Baja.
Bajavestruz

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 09:27 PM

Has armendds driven the road to Loreto before?

What I mean is, if this is his first time, he might want to do a daytime run to familiarize himself with turns, vados, topes, etc.

[Edited on 7-17-2006 by Bajavestruz]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 10:59 PM

Jeeze, don't any of you like seeing Baja???

I have driven Mex. 1 at night, but enjoy the desert scenery by day...

Also, coming into a vado at night (west of San Ignacio) to find COWS on the road enjoying the warmth of asphalt will get your blood circulating fast!

I like night driving, but because of the view missed and range cattle, I prefer to drive central Baja by day.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 08:56 AM

Despite what some drivers who are experienced in driving at night on Mex. 1, why increase your risks? I have been on buses on Mex. 1 which drive down the middle of the road at midnight. I have driven Baja highways in daylight where the army trucks, overloaded as usual, come flying around a blind corner in your lane - same thing with huge trucks. I have come to a screeching halt to avoid hitting a cow sitting in the middle of the highway. I have come to a screeching halt to avoid hitting an old Mexican truck going 20 mph. I have followed behind a huge truck pulling an uphill grade going 20 mph, and not been able to pass for miles. If you KNOW the risks because you have personally experienced them, then you're way ahead and are in a better position to avoid accidents due to the many risks of driving at night in Baja. Your choice, but it only takes one incident in a split second to change your life.
By the way - the guy who drives with his halogen lights lighting up the desert to he can see at night - thanks for blinding me in the oncoming lane - another hazard.
wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 10:14 PM

Hey,

Regardless of what you are told or people say, DO NOT DRIVE MX1 at night!!! I have thought about doing it numerous times and always figured out it was not a smart idea. Yea, follow the diesel truck for protection.... You going to go 5 MPH up the grades. If yes, drive at night. What happens when the truck driver decides to stop for a taco. You going to buy him the taco?

The problem is drunk drivers around small towns. I have actually stopped and turned off the road to avoid them. I mean a dead stop with them coming at me and turning down steep drop offs to avoid them. Really, it happened two weeks ago south of Loreto. What are you going to do at 55 mph plus.

Disregard the other idiots and do not drive at night on MX 1. Seriously.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 11:36 PM
Wakemall....welcome to "Baja Nomads"

from us "idiots":biggrin:

wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 10:25 PM
Sorry Nomads

Sorry I said idiots. Never meant to affend anybody. Just made the TJ to Loreto trip in one day. I am still scared of the DWI mexican drivers.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2006 at 04:01 PM
an experience

I'll never forget this experience I had years ago....

It was about 1AM. I was driving the highway with my parents in the back seat. The lights suddenly illuminated a car in my lane almost right on me. The vehicle was immobile and had all of it's lights off. My headlights revealed a Mexican running across the road toward his car. I don't know what he was thinking. Was he trying to save his car? Was he trying to turn on his lights in time for me to see him? It was too late to use the brakes by the time I saw it all. I pulled the wheel abruptly to the right into the other lane and everything went by in a flash. We stopped a bit further on and tried to regain our emotional sensibilities.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-20-2006 at 12:11 PM
I abided by the "no night driving" rule for many years....

.......but I have begun making exceptions for the stretch from Ensenada to San Quintin or El Rosario. It is so nice to get that horribly traffic-ridden area out of the way at night. Much of the stretch is slow anyway, so the prudent driver should see any animals or cars without lights.

Yep, I do it in that stretch, but avoid it everywhere else. But it's not like I'm gonna cower by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere if the sun goes down. I'll keep driving for, maybe, 2 hours after dark.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.