Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: "hor de orves"
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 08:17 PM

baja bound and dano
there not calling it a red tide but there is a acid in them that if eaten raw will make you sick and its all oysters farned or wild

jerry and judi
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 08:36 PM

One of my favorite classic Baja appetizer is "crema", which you can make with your choice of seafood (the favorite for birthday parties here is with weiners, yuck) My favorite is with caracol (giant sea snail), but it's also very nice with canned tuna...Here is the recipe, very easy and delicious.../serve this dip with taco or tortilla chips.

In the blender put the tuna, 2 big tablespoons of mayo, a small can of Veg-all or mixed veggies, some cream if you want (optional) and the key ingredient is the chile chipotle(these come in a little can)...depending on how hot or spicy you want it, use a half a chile or whole if you want it kinda hot...try it and you can always add more. Also add some salt and blend that baby up till it's a creamy texture that you can dip tortilla chips in which you can also make with corn tortillas cut in wedges and deep fried...delicioso.

I've also made it with octopus

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
baja bound and dano
there not calling it a red tide but there is a acid in them that if eaten raw will make you sick and its all oysters farned or wild

The month rule has nothing to do with the red tide...that's a universal rule for raw oysters. OK to do them BBQd or something...the whole "rule" could be an old wives tale!
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 09:17 PM

i really dont know but its all over the news here over 100 ppl got sick in or wa and bc
just cause its on the news dosent mean they know what there talking about

jerry and judi
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 11:25 PM
Funny how bad news travels fast

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
i really dont know but its all over the news here over 100 ppl got sick in or wa and bc
just cause its on the news dosent mean they know what there talking about

Jerry, the oyster prob was limited to the Hood River complex. The people who got sick from them lived in Wa, OR and BC. It's a shame the sensationalist news makes it hard for everyone. Although our choice oysters pose no harm to anyone the fact remains that very few are eating them for fear generated by all the hype.
Chances are I'll end nknown. up serving them to my family and crew rather than throw them out.

Bajabound: bi-valves like clams, mussels and oysters can tolerate an algal bloom but their tissue readily concentrates the evil toxins and will pass that accumulation on to all that eats them, fish, people, birds etc. The shellfish will need two to three weeks after an event occurs in order to flush the toxins out and become edible again.
Cooking DOES NOT remove the poisonous by-products associated with pyrodinium type sp. Cooking kills bacteria and other pathogens.

Hey anyone want a free oyster shooter! :lol: Seriously!:lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 08:51 AM

sorry about that corky sounds like the meadia again has things fouled up
i hope it doesnt hit you too bad
sharks has the best seafood on the or coast as far as im concern

jerry and judi
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 09:38 AM

jerry , I think this is the "acid " that is the cause of the shell fish problem and comes from the algae .

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/sf/Pubs/DomoicAcid.htm

I think Los Angeles had a simular problem a couple of years ago with high levels found in crabs and anchovies.

lero
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 10:24 AM
Sharks

Only if you guaranty those shooters ain't from the Hood River variety. Pretty heavy set of symptoms -- "vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and abdominal cramps within 24 hours of ingestion. In more severe cases, neurological symptoms develop within 48 hours and include headache, dizziness, confusion, disorientation, loss of short-term memory, motor weakness, seizures, profuse respiratory secretions, cardiac arrhythmias, coma and possibly death. Short term memory loss is permanent." Of course, I already suffer from confusion, disorientation, motor weakness and short term memory loss, but I don't think the rest are worth the risk.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 11:19 AM
Bad Seafood

Been sick from eating bad fish. Cigerata? Damn near killed me, thought it was a hangover. It wasn't.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 11:27 AM

A clam c-cktail from one of the fish taco places in San Felipe about killed me, in 2003! Never again will I trust a pretty face when she tells me her clams are fresh!:lol:

I was four wheeling with Max and Polly on the San Fermin Plain when it began to hit me (maybe a dozen hours after eating the clams). If I was going to die, Shell Island is where I want to be... so I declined their invite back to their place and headed to the island to be left alone!

Max (Mcgyver/ gilaoro) just before a dust devil hit our lunch stop!:

[Edited on 8-3-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 07:15 PM

Hey! Is this what some are talking about "hi-jacking my thread"?.....(LOL!)

(Don't tell anybody, but, I love it when minds wander and stories are told)

Thanks for all the good mouth watering ideas!

BTW: the "alert" is to not eat RAW Oysters

Mean people suck!
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 09:45 PM

sorry debra
im the one to blame for getting off subject
just like to keep my friends as in formed as i can
injoy the pnw great summers
winter sucks unless you like not seeing the sun for like 5 months

jerry and judi
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 10:42 PM
Had to

Quote:
Originally posted by Pops
I thought it was "Horse's Ovaries"?:o:o

no Pops it's "hoars livers":lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you have 6 hours or so...a big batch of Ceviche is always a hit!!!
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 11:08 PM

great idea ceviche but dont make the mistake of making it out of fresh water fish you will get tape worms and or a lot of other nasty stuff as long as its salt water fish or shell fish its fine with a little lime and salt tomato celentro onion garlic and some tender lovin care chips or crackers
oopes no shell fish right now

jerry and judi
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 11:04 AM

don't use fresh water fish for anything...YUCK..tastes like mud...If it eats bugs, it aint no good....real fish don't eat pellets!!

I don't waste my time unless I've got a brand new white sea bass..spoiled I guess...
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 01:45 PM

Ceviche was my first thought.....but, no Yellowtail up here, and unless I see it caught with my own eyes and can cut it up on the spot, I would not ever feed it to anyone!

Tomas, I beg to differ with you on the fresh water fish thing......nothing better than fresh Trout and eggs for breadfast! YUMMMMMMM!

And everytime you post that photo, my mouth waters! The only thing missing is the ginger!

Mean people suck!
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 04:07 PM

Ginger?? I'm not sure what you mean there Debra....
that photo is wore out..

It's been a month or so since we've had a good fish for ceviche.....sounds good on a hot summer day after my SECOND surf session...AHHHH, summer
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.