Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: San Felipe to Gonzaga road report
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wonderer
Beercan

How about below Puertecitos? Edguero had stated 4WD was necessary in several spots. Is that true?
I just came that way on monday yes the road is bad, some deep holes on the side of the road,but you can drive around them just be cautious you don't need 4wd. it helps climbing El Huerfanito so your tires don't spin but I never used 4wd.I will be posting pictures tomorrow.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Edguero
Just returned from Punta Final and am happy to say the road south into Puertecitos is a 50-55 mph run until Los Olivos where the new pavement currently is, after that it is gravel with asphalt being laid daily, and I don't mean "skinned over" it is 3-4 inches thick. There is only about a mile or so of potholes left.
The road to Gonzaga is probably the worst I've seen in 10 years same old washboard but lots and lots of wash outs and boulder and rock obstacles.
I was told there were 2 days of rain 3-5 inches per day depending where you were, needed 4 wheel drive twice to get through some sand and steep uphills out of the rivers beds the rain created.
I hope they never pave that road, the trip down is half the fun of being there.
I drove there from Beluga Sunday around 1:00pm I was in a red dodge Ram with a f250 ford,where did you stay in Punta Final?

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luckyboy
Is there some kind of award for making the trip from Hwy 1 to Puertecitos in a passenger car?

You could ask the four college girls from San Diego. They drove from San Felipe to Alfonsinas Thanksgiving 2002 in a Honda Accord. No maps, no GPS, no clue. All they knew is their friends were there.

Or the German couple who rode their bicycles from Seattle to La Paz and took the Puertocitos route to avoid Tijuana and Ensenada.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 07:28 AM

The condition of the road south of Puertecitos changed from pretty good in 2005 to pretty bad by winter 2006... Puertecitos to Gonzaga (50 miles) was 1.5 hrs. in July 2005 and was 3 hours in November, 2006 and again in Feb., 2007 as no repairs had been made south beyond 8 miles from Puertecitos where the mine company maintains the road for their trucks.

[Edited on 7-7-2007 by David K]

207 045r.JPG - 37kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Edguero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Quote:
Just returned from Punta Final and am happy to say the road south into Puertecitos is a 50-55 mph run until Los Olivos where the new pavement currently is, after that it is gravel with asphalt being laid daily, and I don't mean "skinned over" it is 3-4 inches thick. There is only about a mile or so of potholes left.
The road to Gonzaga is probably the worst I've seen in 10 years same old washboard but lots and lots of wash outs and boulder and rock obstacles.
I was told there were 2 days of rain 3-5 inches per day depending where you were, needed 4 wheel drive twice to get through some sand and steep uphills out of the rivers beds the rain created.
I drove there from Beluga Sunday around 1:00pm I was in a red dodge Ram with a f250 ford,where did you stay in Punta Final?

That trip was Sept. of last year. I have a house in Punta Final.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Quote:

That trip was Sept. of last year. I have a house in Punta Final.
Haaa , No wonder I didn't see you and even if I did I wouldn't known it was you(we haven't meet yet)..JAJAJA..

rockman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2007 at 06:56 PM

21 June, 2007 trip from Hiway 1 thru Gonzaga to San Felipe:
The road from Puertecitos to San Felipe is now completely paved.
The road from Puertocitos to Bahia Gonzaga (called by some locals "carretera de gobernador" because the governor pays no attention to it) is very rough, but can be driven with 2WD. From Gonzaga to Hwy 1, lots of washboard, but much of this can be avoided be lowering tire pressure and using the satellite trails. The side road to Punta Final is in good shape.
Regarding Coco: I'm not a physician, but I do know that his leg problems are the long-term result of diabetes. I would check with a doctor before risking unprescribed antibiotics, some of which could cause allergic reactions.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 8-11-2007 at 11:04 PM

We'll have 20 Jeeps going down this stretch of road in November. I will have a full road report to follow!! :bounce:

Edguero
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 03:17 PM

Just got back yesterday, drove the loop from Chapala to Puertocitos with a 1 week stop in Punta Final, came down Hwy 1 because my Jeep was loaded pretty heavy, dirt road from the pavement to Gonzaga is the same as its been for years. Coco seems to be in good spirits. From Gonzaga to Puertocitos the road is the same, rough, rocky and washboarded but the veiws are still awesome, pretty uneventful road trip my Jeep is works good on this road. The road to San Felipe is finished just watch out for the unmarked vados, they will get your attention. Lunch at Rice & Beans.
We got in the border line at 3:15 left the booth at 3:21, a new record for me.
ikestr

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 06:36 PM

Edguero, thanks for the info.

Would you say the road from HWY 1 to gonzaga is better/worse/same as from gonzaga to puertocitos?

The last 3 years ive gone to gonzaga via puertocitos and it has killed my cherokee, most recently over 4th of july. Im thinking about going down HWY 1 in October.

You think its in better condition?

thanks,
ikestr

Gonzaga Bay: may I someday spend months there
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 07:41 PM

Road from Gonzaga to Chapala (Hwy 1) is virtually always better than the road from Puertecitos to Gonzaga. It's just the nature of the terrain.

So, if smoother is what you're looking for, Chapala to Gonzaga is the ticket. But, you'll miss the ... oh, never mind. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Edguero
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 08:07 AM

Roberto is correct, Hwy 1 to Gonzaga is a better road. It is also a shorter dirt road distance being about 35 miles if I remember right.
Have you got your Cherokee setup for the baja dirt roads?
I leased a new Cherokee in '96 and put alot of Baja miles on it, I liked it so much I traded up to a Grand Cherokee in '99 and I'm still driving it, I've had the usual tire and shock problems but have never been broke down and the dirt ride is very comfortable. It has 125K on it, 25-30% baja miles and still no squeeks or rattles.
Top quality shocks and tires are a must and bring spares of each.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 06:16 PM

This was on the San Felipe web site.

New federal highway projects will benefit San Felipe

A list of the new federal priorities for highway construction has been released and there is significant news for the San Felipe region. The first good news is that the road from Puertecitos to Laguna Chapala is to be funded in 2008 and work complete in 2010. This continuation of the two lane road south from San Felipe will be 7 meters wide and have a total length of 110 km. Total estimated cost will be 600 million pesos (approx. $60 million dollars). This will mean that it will be possible to drive from San Felipe and connect up with the main peninsular highway (Route 1) south to La Paz and Los Cabos. We will no longer be the end of the road!

The completion of the 150 km 4 lane divided highway, 12 meters wide, from Mexicali to San Felipe will be funded to start in 2009 and will be completed in 2012 at a total cost of 1100 million pesos (approx. $110 million dollars). More infrastructure developments can be found here.
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 08:59 AM

Im going to miss the atmosphere at Gonzaga Bay after the road gets paved, and it looks like it might be this time.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.