BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Expat, american, gringo, americano?
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 10:24 AM

No that was not me Summanus, but I would not mind owning "boss 50 Packard" what ever that is? It sounds like a vintage carro.
My guess is you are from Wisconson or otherwise you are someone's boss..hehehe:lol:

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 10:53 AM
a little off thread...but porque no?

Alex...I once had a car like this old Packard.. way back when they were not so classic, rare, and expensive like today.

Nope...not from Wisconsin, but I love their cheese, too. Sorry if this is getting slightly off-thread from Jesse's topic, but it's the nature of the forum, I suppose....now back to the main theme.

[Edited on 11-1-2006 by Summanus]

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 11:23 AM

Gringo, Gringa, Americano, Norteamericano, Amiga, Senora, La Senora, La Patrona, P-nche Gringa....the words don't matter quite as much as the tone of voice & facial expression! Friends can call me a P-nche gringa with no malice....though a stranger in any setting calling me a P-nche gringa comes across totally differently!! I believe that whatever the origin of gringo may have been, that it's evolved to be a designator of any non-Mexicano, for whom there isn't a more well-known & socially acceptable term or classification. To me, the term gringo in & of itself is not considered a racial slur. I'd never use terms like beaner, etc. even in jest. I consider myself an Americano/Norteamericano/Gringa living in Baja, and I've been called all of these names in a respectful tone & very infrequently in a totally disrespectful tone, so I think it's more the presentation than the words! I have a young Mexican amigo that I've known for 7 years, the first time he heard me refer to myself as a gringa, he was horrified & told me gringo/gringa is derogatory & he's never used that term with me. First & foremost, we are all human beings, citizens of Planet Earth & secondly, you have to give respect to get it back! It's the old "You reap what you sow" adage.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
What would you prefer Mexicans to call you if your an american or foreigner living in Baja?

Well, of course we all aspire to bel good neighbors and have close friends who are our hosts in Baja..or we wouldn't love Baja for long. But Jesse's pertinent question asks..."What would you PREFER..?" Having read a few of Jesse's posts in the past, one could deduce that it is a provocative quest, but nevertheless it should be of interest to foreigners everywhere, which we ALL are at times.

So...what's your choice from his list...or does that limit you too much?

Expat, american, gringo, americano?

Perhaps a straight answer is impossible.

sunslim

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 11:55 AM
What name

In some (many? most?) parts of Mexico Mexicans use Norteamericano to mean someone from the US or Canada. They are adamant that they aren't Norteamericanos but are Mexicanos!?
I think to be called a gringo is usually okay. Depends on how it is used.
Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Gringo, Gringa, Americano, Norteamericano, Amiga, Senora, La Senora, La Patrona, P-nche Gringa....the words don't matter quite as much as the tone of voice & facial expression! Friends can call me a P-nche gringa with no malice....though a stranger in any setting calling me a P-nche gringa comes across totally differently!! I believe that whatever the origin of gringo may have been, that it's evolved to be a designator of any non-Mexicano, for whom there isn't a more well-known & socially acceptable term or classification. To me, the term gringo in & of itself is not considered a racial slur. I'd never use terms like beaner, etc. even in jest. I consider myself an Americano/Norteamericano/Gringa living in Baja, and I've been called all of these names in a respectful tone & very infrequently in a totally disrespectful tone, so I think it's more the presentation than the words! I have a young Mexican amigo that I've known for 7 years, the first time he heard me refer to myself as a gringa, he was horrified & told me gringo/gringa is derogatory & he's never used that term with me. First & foremost, we are all human beings, citizens of Planet Earth & secondly, you have to give respect to get it back! It's the old "You reap what you sow" adage.
Dave
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 11-1-2006 at 12:15 PM
As we say 'back home':

Don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for supper.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 02:24 PM

Alot of them I call...Dumbass!
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 02:30 PM

okay... the choices are now: Expat, american, gringo, americano, or dumbass.

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 02:40 PM

I never had anywhere to deal with such a variety. In most countries I've been, I was just a Senora, Madam, Hagg, Mrs, Geveret, ....... Which I found correct and was fine with me.
Never was called a FOREIGNER, or a specific name for foreigners - like Gringo/Gringa, or called by my Citizenship.
Interesting that in Mexico there is such a difference!!

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 02:52 PM

My friend, Carlos Luna, or Charlie Moon, is from the Dominican Republic...some in Chula Vista call him a 'dome'...he calls them 'chams'. Adolescent and unsophisticated for the most part, I think it is just fun and games during a transitional period.

Hey, when you think about it from some previous posts, Carlos should then be called a Republican, right?

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
What would you prefer Mexicans to call you if your an american or foreigner living in Baja?

Well, of course we all aspire to bel good neighbors and have close friends who are our hosts in Baja..or we wouldn't love Baja for long. But Jesse's pertinent question asks..."What would you PREFER..?" Having read a few of Jesse's posts in the past, one could deduce that it is a provocative quest, but nevertheless it should be of interest to foreigners everywhere, which we ALL are at times.

So...what's your choice from his list...or does that limit you too much?

Expat, american, gringo, americano?

Perhaps a straight answer is impossible.

All right already! ;D From that list, I'd take offense to "expat". To me patriot is more a verb than a noun, and no matter where I am in the world, I'm still a US citizen, and the ex- makes it sound former, which I'll never be, I'll always be a US patriot! Foreigner would come in a close second in the negative column.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FARASHA
I never had anywhere to deal with such a variety. In most countries I've been, I was just a Senora, Madam, Hagg, Mrs, Geveret, ....... Which I found correct and was fine with me.
Never was called a FOREIGNER, or a specific name for foreigners - like Gringo/Gringa, or called by my Citizenship.
Interesting that in Mexico there is such a difference!!

Well, not as interesting, or not interesting, as being called a Haole (in Hawaii). And, if you're white in Hawaii, being called Haole is not a compliment. Again, my impression having spent time there. So, white folk are definitely doing better in Mexico.

To me, there isn't much difference in haole and gringo/a. Maybe I think Mexicans are nicer.

(There are parts of Hawaiii where people can be down right hostile towards haoles. Don't know if that's true in Baja. Anyone know?)

:cool:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 06:11 PM
Long Legs

I vote you win and I salute you--So alright already!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.