Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 09:12 PM
Bruce------I never heard of a "puff-puff" either

Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 09:30 PM

Fred and I just loved your story... it sounds TOO familiar!!! Fred tells me he is looking
to set himself up with some tools so he can "do a few projects"!!!! I say "here we go"!!:bounce::lol:

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 10:12 AM

I was a lucky one. I passed right by AAADD, went to the next level.
First Things First
Almost every time I learn we are expecting guests at our house who we have not met before I am careful to shower, shave and dress before they arrive. Most of the time I chalk this up to common courtesy -- once in a while I think there may be a little vanity in it.
On these occasions of self exam I think about that silly saying "you never get a second chance to make a first impression". That old chestnut may not always be true. People might well forget meeting you or they may mistake you for some other person they once met. So I have debunked that one -- you may get a second chance to make a first impression.
There are lots of things to be said of "firsts". Carlos Castenada, Peruvian born anthropologist, student of the Mexican mystic Don Juan, learned to experience the world without internally verbalizing. He calls the exercise "stopping the internal dialog". His theory is that if you or I could experience a beautiful sunrise without our brains recording "gee, what a beautiful sunrise", in whatever language our brain usually employs, we take in unaltered sensations. Free from the need to verbalize and describe the event, it can be experienced in a purer sense, almost "for the first time". I have tried and tried to "stop the internal dialog" but, at least when I'm sober, I have not been able to do the exercise justice -- no more than a few measly seconds...not nearly enough time to blot out the "gee, what a beautiful sunrise, with all the deep reds and yellows and bla, bla,bla".
At my age, I am beginning to lose some of my faculties but I am, at the same time, beginning to be more sensitive to the feelings of others...less judgmental. You have probably already noticed that I have not gone into any crude and thoughtless "Alzheimer's jokes" about Easter egg hunts. I think seeing the house you lived in for 20 years for "the first time" as an Alzheimer's victim might, could be something Don Juan might have known about but did not want to divulge. I have never studied the French language, but this occurrence might have a name to mirror Deja Vu.

Maybe Don Juan and Carlos stopped short of something more promising. If adult humans could train their minds to selectively choose which objects or experiences one wished to view "for the first time" we could enjoy the thrill of "firsts" every day. The trick is, you know the thing in front of you is a "house" -- you just don't remember that it is "your house"-- where you have lived for 20 years. Your intimate familiarity with the place and all the things in and around it would be replaced by brand new colors, textures, smells, etc.
In the interest of science I am attempting to selectively forget my house. Each morning, when I arise, I stumble from room to room hoping there is a bathroom. Ah! There is. What a nice surprise. In the afternoons I look for kitchens and garages. When I have time I rummage through drawers and poke around in closets. I do most of my forgetting at night, in the dark and begin each new day thrilled at the sight of my new things in my new home. I have been so consumed by this experiment that I have not stepped back to ask myself some important questions. Are there others living in the house? If I leave the house and move about the city, can I find my way back? Why would I leave such a nice place? Do I have obligations elsewhere, a job, a boss, employees, vacation schedules?
Well, there is plenty of time to sort all that out. Looks like the pantry is well stocked. The new fridge holds some mysteries. The contents are pungent – I see some bronze leaf lettuce. Not bronze exactly, almost a chestnut brown.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 10:42 AM

i'd add to this but i gotta go wash my car, i think? geor? vikin? buffa?

ahh crap, just me!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 12:38 PM

Osprey!! You're getting down to basics!! Fundamental realities.:) Don't get any better than that.:bounce:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 12:50 PM

Oh I forgot why a came here:?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 02:52 PM

I haven't read any Carlos since college.
I think maybe they'll make good reading for relaxing in Baja.
I wonder if the used book store has them all ?
Thanks for the memories.

Any "buttons" in your area ??? :biggrin:

[Edited on 11-28-2006 by Diver]
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 03:18 PM

Diver, mucho peyote around these parts. Did you know.... the SW U.S. Indians used them but they cause serious stomach cramps so they learned to take them anally. Though the buttons are distinctive, grow very low to the ground sometimes the Indians chose the wrong cacti which did not bring them the halucenogenic visions they sought: Hence the espression: "For all the good they did me I might as well have shoved em up my A**."
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 05:12 PM

oooooooooooooooh! said the commanche, I'd rather stay sober.

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 09:10 AM

Very interesting responses.... really enjoyed your response DanO and Osprey, well, and everyone else's too!
Bob H:yes:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.