Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Worried?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 08:11 PM

SDRonni

I personly would be more worried if I lived in a Condo in a Hi-rise tower.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajalero
No , not worried but have taken steps to minimize my exposure .

Unloaded about 75% of my real estate since 911. This worked out to be good timing as there were many clueless buyers grabbing anything they could in baja for a couple of years.

That was a terrible move. Real estate went through the roof since the tech boom ended in 2000.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 10:20 PM

I'll admit freely that I am worried some. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on my second major investment in Mexico.

A combination of the deal not being as attractive as I first thought and too much of my captial in Mexico combined with all the recent crime/political issues influenced my decison.

I'm going to invest a bit more in US real estate for the time being. That said, I still have a boat load invested in Mexico!

[Edited on 12-2-2006 by JZ]
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Worried?

Do ya ever get that look? Ya know, the look when you are in a conversation with someone in the States. When you mention you have a home in Mexico.

"Aren't you afraid they're going to take it away? Like over there in Ensenada?"

Then you have to go into the whole story about how the property you live on is differant than the property those people lived on....

Been asked that question a few times? Explained the story a few times?

I know exactly what you are saying!
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Worried?

Do ya ever get that look? Ya know, the look when you are in a conversation with someone in the States. When you mention you have a home in Mexico.

"Aren't you afraid they're going to take it away? Like over there in Ensenada?"

Then you have to go into the whole story about how the property you live on is differant than the property those people lived on....

Been asked that question a few times? Explained the story a few times?

Oh my gosh! That is a SCREAM! I can't tell you how many times we've gone through this scenario! I just pray to God none of our friends can later say to us, "I told you so!"
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 10:34 PM

1.Don't invest more than you can afford to lose.

2.Keep it simple. You don't have to be prepared for 20 inches of snow in Baja.

3.Don't worry-- Be happy!
;D:tumble::saint::dudette:

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 01:33 AM

There is a lot of fear on the part of Norte Americanos period. The fears of the people have been used, fanned and manipulated for political gain for many years. The period after WWII was called the Cold War, now there is a war on TERRORISM. Where is the TERROR? It is in the hearts and minds of America. 911 made things worse but the US has always been afraid of minorities.

In this day of twenty four hour news these fears have escalated as we are daily exposed to the most brutal images. Now we have news of disputed elections, legislators hitting each other with chairs, the alledged loser of the election claims he will head a shadow government. Horrible crimes committed by the criminal element splashed accross headlines. A history of Mexico expopriating assets of foreigners. No wonder tourism is down as these images reach the heartland of America.

The good news is that the folks at the top value tourism and US investment. The statements of the new President reflect this. What he/ they will do is an open question as is how successful they will be. Actions often have unpredicted consequences. Fox's attempt at cleaning up corruption in some ways may have unleashed the cartels. There are some on this forum who have raised this issue.

It is my opinion that legalization of drug use in the US is necessary on a number of fronts, though there is a huge industry that is fed on the War on Drugs. Lots of long term vested interest in that industry. Like Prohibition it is a failed policy the creates and underground economy and a criminal class. Take the money away and the problem goes away. Treat drug problems as a medical problem, which it is.

In Mexico with the situation as it is the Federal Government will need to become more involved at some point. They will only tolerate overt crime and social unrest for so long. Bullets will be used. That will mean more soldiers on the streets with guns. That freaks out Americans. Rock and a hard spot.

My reading of Mexico history, such as it is, and others may correct me on this, is that much of the revolution in the past has been localized or regionalized. There are always places that are safer than others.

There is a wind toward social reform that is gaining momentum in Latin America. The issues of how to redistribute wealth have never been adequatly addressed in Mexico and the gulf between the haves and have nots has widened. Poverty is endemic and the root of the labor flight north and much of the social unrest in Mexico. This is not unlike the issue of slavery being built into the founding of the US. Because it was there it will always haunt and be a source of social unrest in the US. Sometimes these issues errupt like sleeping volcanos. Anyway that is how I read history.

I believe you are getting very good advice to be very careful about purchasing land in Mexico. I think you are also getting excellent advice to find a place in yourself where you can let go of these worries and enjoy the days you have on this earth and Baja is a great place to do so.

I am now in my sixties and have known many people who never were clear with themselves as to what is enough. What is enough money? What is enough security? What is enough worry? What is enough...........

Iflyfish when not thinking about such thinks
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
1.Don't invest more than you can afford to lose.

2.Keep it simple. You don't have to be prepared for 20 inches of snow in Baja.

3.Don't worry-- Be happy!
;D:tumble::saint::dudette:

The above is my wife's advice -- so I take it. Otherwise, I'd be camping in my RV and moving around. Still, there's alot to be said about terra firma.

To anyone who's worried, I'd say listen to what you're feeling and avoid Baja -- not sure about mainland Mexico.

:cool:
k1w1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 04:21 PM
claro

Gracias senor FlyFish. Well posted.
I have no worries re my baja properties. Then again, I'm in for the long haul and am not looking to 'flip'.
In the big picture I feel very optimistic with all that's transpiring.
"It'll all come out in the wash" ... and I feel that the current 'laundry' being done along with more enlightened youth (thanx to information age) coming thru, are definitely a positive.
my 2 pesos
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 05:44 PM

i think that anyone in there right mind if they were honest has some worries about thier investment weather it be in mexico baja or the us of a thats only nateral
weather its obsessive , ruining their quality of life or acceptable is the question
in the last 13 yrs i too was one who said i wont invest more then i can afford to loose and untill about 3 weeks ago when i was notifyed that my moterhome and a friends moterhome on my lot had been broken into and bugerlized and trashed i thought about it less and less over the years till i was lulled into a false sucurity
nowthat this has happened it wont change much as to what i will do but i know it will be a lot more in the forfrontof my thoughts
as for the investment i bought right at the right time and if i sold today it would be one of my better investments% dollar wise its by far the best investment as far adding injoyment to my life
i really dought if id ever sell out
i was planning on building in the next yr or 2 now ill take another look
its not that they stold that much its just stuff its just i feeling of discusted im sure it will pass as soon as i get back in the sun

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 05:51 PM

and yes now when i get that look about having property in mexico
ill now have to say yup i got burgerlized but it wasnt too bad
kinda like the doc says you got cancer but dont worry we can operate on ya

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 11:09 PM

so dont worry be happy

jerry and judi
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 02:18 PM

"no worries ... married a mexican citizen ... no bank trust involved "

Are you saying property is safer in the name of your spouse than in a bank trust?

hahahaha

that's funny

I married a Mexican citizen and our property is in a trust in my name only. My mama didn't raise no fools.
cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 02:35 PM

I have been selling property in Southern Baja for 11 years. I am happy to say that all of my current and past client's are very happy and have no direct worries.

I would not even consider returning to the US to live. I too, own several properties here in Baja. Not worried at all!
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 04:39 PM

ok, so you have 1/2, he or she has the other 1/2. That's great if you put up 1/2 (or less) the money
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 04:43 PM

Me worry? Naaaahhh, but we are making adjustments for the increase in petty crime by crackheads like putting up nice designs of bars over the windows and having a watchperson when we aren't home and keeping the yappy little abandoned mutt who has become a great guard dog. Viva mexico!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 08:42 PM

changing just the benaficery on a fedio will cost you $1000,00 us

jerry and judi
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.