Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Driving to Cabo New Home is done
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 09:31 AM

The visual of chartering a plane for your dogs was too good to pass up Chris. And my husband and I join you in the "oh no" club as we shuffle finances again to fund our "dream" plans. You're doing darn good for what you've spent, by the way.

You're right, it's all a matter of priorities. We're working our butts off too, and live modestly up here because someday soon, we'll take a few steps out our front door when we want to go surfing and it will all be worth it. I'll bet you think the same thing when you look out at your view.

It is exciting stuff.
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 09:42 AM

Yes, I just want to take my dogs on the beach and relax, surf, fish not to mention how good the food is. Im calling the Baja Cactus to book there.
Then will charge to Loreto, then to Cabo. Im gonna go to the Declare lane and tell them I need a FMT, I will get car nsurance in San Ysidro for both trucks.
Im not really bring alot of household stuff, Im DHL alot of it to a friend there.
IM bringing pre fabed pieces though to assemble my couches when I get there.
Its gonna be a experience thats for sure. Thanks for all your help everyone.
IM gonna need it.
What about money? Whats enough cash to bring or to much?
How should I handle that end of this.

Chris

[Edited on 12-11-2006 by Trojan]
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 09:48 AM
Taking the plunge!

Congrats on your new place and adventures in Baja, Trojan and family. You have a great view! Taking this big step at 40 is GREAT ! ! More time to play, learn, and discover.... and there will be MANY new discoveries... si, mi Nomad amigos???

I've had many of my own discoveries (and epiphanies...?)... since I purchased, incorporated, started plans for building a small biz., etc.... A few of the discoveries ~ not so plesant... but shifting into a different mind set, taking it all in stride, and trying to build and maintain friendships ~ and make NO enemies, has helped me approach my similar new adventures with a lighter heart...

An old friend's mantra is "live in love or live in fear".... Sometimes that simple philosophy helps me with the uncertainties.... (That AND lots of good info, plans, and support from fellow Nomads :) ).

Your dog(s) will be admired in Baja too ~ y possible hencho un poco perro "detente", no? (and maybe create a little doggie detente, when needed, no? . . . ie security).

Best wishes!! Life is good.
djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 11:05 AM

Cash: Bring enough for food and lodging, possible border expenses, some extra for emergencies. Once you get to Cabo you can use the cash machines. You can also use ATMs on the way down at San Quintin, Guerrero Negro, Loreto. But Bad Things have been said about the ATM in Los Barriles.

Using pesos helps avoid confusion at the gas stations and other places, and you can get a better exchange rate.

Travelers' Checks are a pain to cash but good to carry for emergencies.

We hear stories of Americans getting robbed for their cash so maybe don't keep all you eggs in one basket. Put some in a small pouch attached to your dog's collar.
:biggrin:
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 12:57 PM

You guys are so much help, Thank you. I booked 2 rooms at Baja Cactus Motel.
There aware of my dogs. Ill get gas in El Rosario, How longs the drive from
there to Loreto. Ive been to Loreto once, stayed at the Hotel next to the golf course on the beach. Should I do Muluge or Loreto?Id like to pre book my room to avoid the "No Vacacy" scenario. I would prefer to stay by a nice isolated cove and spend a few hrs with my dogs on the beach.
Other then and stopping at any furniture, Iron shops to see if theres any neat goodies for my home I'd just rather get to Cabo. Im assuming I should go by way of Todos Santos and not La Paz. I got alot to do but Ill be chatting with you guys all week if you dont mind.
Chris
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 11:47 AM

Congratulations new Cabeno. If you do decide to get your FM3 in Cabo it is not that difficult. They are very user friendly now. If you would rather have someone do it for you U2U me and I can recomend a reliable person who has worked out well for other Nomads as well as my self (now I do it myself). Dont let the Bank thing intimidate you. HSBC is a very user friend bank with several branches in Cabo. You can easily transfer money from the US without paying an international transfer fee. You will enjoy any time you get to spend there as you have already found out. I look forward to having a Pacifico with you at Mikes place one of these days. It looks like you live right around the corner from his place. UsU me if you want more info or try me at osoflojo@att.net. Saludos.....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 11:59 AM

Living your dream.:bounce Don't get any better than that.:bounce:
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 01:45 PM

Its all high stress right now, But that should change soon. Anyone no anyone that works at cityclub? I sent a friend in there last week to buy my whirlpool Fridge/Oven and city club has failed 3 days now to deliver it to my home?
I cant get thru on the phone to cityclub. I think I may have a friend go in and call me on the spot with the manager right there. Im still used to stuff getting done like now.
Also Still need to no of a good spot in Loreto to stay with the dogs.

Chris
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrojanIm assuming I should go by way of Todos Santos and not La Paz.

Let me clarify. There are two routes, both start in La Paz from Hwy 1. About 10 miles south of La Paz is a fork in the road. One road goes through San Jose via the East Cape. The other goes to San Lucas via Todos Santos. Using the Todos Santos route will save you at least 45 min. of travel time to your destination.

I am driving to Los Cabos myself next week. We will drive it in two long days (entering through Tecate) with a stop over in Guererro Negro.
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:
Originally posted by TrojanIm assuming I should go by way of Todos Santos and not La Paz.

Let me clarify. There are two routes, both start in La Paz from Hwy 1. About 10 miles south of La Paz is a fork in the road. One road goes through San Jose via the East Cape. The other goes to San Lucas via Todos Santos. Using the Todos Santos route will save you at least 45 min. of travel time to your destination.

I am driving to Los Cabos myself next week. We will drive it in two long days (entering through Tecate) with a stop over in Guererro Negro.

oxxo,
Thank you for the info, Might just see ya out there! :biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trojan
You guys are so much help, Thank you. I booked 2 rooms at Baja Cactus Motel.
There aware of my dogs. Ill get gas in El Rosario, How longs the drive from
there to Loreto...
Chris

El Rosario to Loreto is 485 miles... You will be well advised if you don't pass up an open gas station anytime you are below a half tank in Baja, south of El Rosario!

El Rosario to Guerrero Negro is 225 miles, almost halfway to Loreto... for gas top off.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 04:49 PM

Sounds like you need a guide. Baja Murry would be perfect, right DK. He is fluent in spanish. Loves Baja and knows it well, and could drive your car back for you. He is friends with DK also, so thats all the refrence you need. His lives in So Cal also. I volunteer my house in Cantu for your first nights stop over. You may not want to drive that far after the border stuff. Don't worry about the car stuff right now, it is now big deal and there are lots of places in cabo to import it for you. It falls in the correct year. Get your fmt stuff done in So Cal. Good luck. Beautiful place. Good for you.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 04:54 PM
Baja Mur

Here's Murray and I on the road to Mision Santa Maria (May 1, 1999) on the peninsular divide 10 miles from Santa Ynez and almost 5 from the mission... Punta Final/Gonzaga Bay can be seen from there.

Minnow is correct, Mur is game to take you to Baja almost anytime, anywhere...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 05:07 PM

DK, Thank you, I will stop there for gas for sure, for sure. Thank you.

Minnow, not sure what to say. Thank you first off.
I think Im cool to get there ok. I already booked at the Baja Catus for nite 1. Monday nite. Otherwise I was gonna re arrange my day and get out of ensanada earlier. Oh well. Im gonna drive hard tuesday to Muluge or Loreto.
Depending on how it goes. Right now I have no place to stay at either location.
Ill do the FM3, then the car import, its a 1993 jeep.
I may need someone to drive the Expediton home. Thanks

Chris
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 05:23 PM

Just so you know, there are many good people willing to help should you need it. If things get tight, find an internet cafe and these folks are certain to help.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 06:02 PM

Minnow,

Thanks for all the help, Nomads came thru for sure, I will definetly sign on if in trouble.

Chris
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 11:28 AM

Just wanted to update this and say thank you, The drive to Cabo went smooth as silk. The road was spectacular, no gas problems at all.
Got my tourist card at the border in 15 minutes, let Rosarito at 8 am. Got to Guerrero Negro at 6:30. Drove a couple hrs in the dark but it was fine.
Stayed at La Pinta with my dogs no worries. Then left there at 6:00 had breakfast at Beans/Rice, then stopped in Mulege at the beach and rescued a stray pit bull, was gonna take him to the sheltor in Todas but when I stopped in Loreto at a friends house he wanted the dog so it was a blessing. Then got to La Paz at 7pm. Again a little night driving but it was ok. Stayed at the Hacienda de Cortez which was really cool. Then got to cabo the next day. All in All in was a great trip and all my initial worries were put to rest. My home though is a different story, These guys do every thing twice. I was mentally prepared for it but my wife is loosing it.
Ill post a write up with pics later.
I did manage though to get online today, theres a wireless signal in the hood:tumble:
Thanks for all the help.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 11:37 AM

What happened to the Baja Cactus reservation... did you breeze right through El Rosario?

Glad you made it safely... Merry Christmas!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.