BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: javier arellano felix in mulege?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 12:40 PM
Baja Experts on Nomad?

Speaking for myself: I have a lot of information, photos, personal experience beginning 40 years ago... But, I am no expert on Baja... that would be impossible for anyone as it is so DIVERSE and full of history, geology, beauty!

I need more than one lifetime to know this peninsula! Why I love it so... a never ending place of adventure!

[Edited on 1-6-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 02:25 PM

Crime in and around Mulege is kind of a touchy topic lately.

So some guy hears a rumor, posts here to see if anyone else has heard it, and gets hammered by a mob.

People should know better, and post recipes and restaurant reviews (all positive, please) until the "newbie" is removed from their name. OK?

:biggrin:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 05:51 PM
Don------

Don't you agree that a "newby" that asks about a mobster's living location should be challenged by "the mob"??? Seems appropriate to me :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Don't you agree that a "newby" that asks about a mobster's living location should be challenged by "the mob"??? Seems appropriate to me :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Doh!:lol:
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 09:36 AM
XBORDER

Anywayssssss Xborder welcome to Bajanomad, I hope you stick around to know us better...

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 01:39 PM

I would suggest a "Two-Eyed Tequilla"!
Rimors are very Active in Baja, where you can get so layed back that you will be interested in everything you Hear!

Sit Back, have a Drink and ask a Good Question about a Good rumor, such as: I heard that an "Ole Timer named Skeet" had 40 Lb. Dorado Jumping into his Panga".

Skeet/Loreto
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

cool.gif posted on 1-7-2007 at 03:22 PM

I think that he had a house in Rancho Leonero...a lot further south of Mulege.

xborder

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 11:18 PM

1) I've posted here before. Never got that type of response. But then, never posted that kind of question.

2) When I heard the rumor, it bothered me a lot. It comes from a reliable source and I believe it if it can be confirmed. Frankly, if I had had a suspicion that Cartel members where living in Mulege, I would do something about it. If I didn't, I'm the same as the other slugs who let these guys get away with murder.

3) What I will do is pass the information along to a friend who works in the U.S. Consulate and to a reporter for the newspaper Zeta.

4) Since he's already arrested, I don't know what the big whoop is. DEA obviously knew where he/his favorite fishing boat was, placed a transponder on it and waited for the fish to start biting.

Given that Zeta publisher Blancorneles printed stories for many years before being gunned down, I doubt drug runners spend their time reading gringo posts much less targeting 'bajanomads' for assasination.

Anyway - glad to give you guys something to hoot and hollar about. Rather be the butt of a joke than just a butt - or a joke. :-)
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 11:45 PM

At least you got a good portion of humor - :biggrin:, that is most important here around! - welcome!! >f<

abreojos
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 04:23 AM

Xborder, Sharksbaja has some waders for sale...you'll need them around here!
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 11:06 AM

If cartel members were living or operating out of an area I would almost guarantee you wouldn't know about it. That's why they call this info rumors.
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 11:44 AM

Hmmm,
I find the info or rumor interesting... I don't think the question is way out of context. It is like the families that are looking to find the criminals in past crimes. They come an suplicate for any knowlede of who slayed their loved ones. This is the same type of question, let me know if I should hang around Mulege, when there is a whole bunch of drug lords there... An ounce of prevention.
Anyway, if the Felix clan was hanging around there they would probably be as secluded as possible trying to stay away from the public eye and I even suspect they would fly in and move around by boat and air always trying to stay away from public. Otherwise, they would expose themselves not just to the public, but police and their own enemies. I doubt the rumors are true to the degree of the drug lords living there but can picture him coming through and being seen. As you said though, he is already in custody and talking about a rumor ain't going to spark a plot to assassin anyone. Why would these guys waste their time when they are more interested in staying out of the lime light.
We are more likely to have crooked folks living in our neighborhood hurting us than any major cartel or underground mafia.... Just a thought and do not mean any disrespect for those that do not agree.. ;D

SoCalAl

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
tlove0725

shocked.gif posted on 1-10-2007 at 11:47 PM

That rumor can very well be true. I remember a couple years back when they arrested Benjamin Arellano (leader), he was living in a nice kind of upscale housing complex in Puebla (not a mansion). To all his neighbors he was Mr. Traviņo, a nice quiet polite low key cigar smoking "contractor" with a wife and kids who basically minded his own business and paid all his bills on time etc. I don't think any of his neighbors would have ever guessed that he was the leader of drug cartel. I have my suspicions that most of these cartel figures can live quite easily here in baja in anonymity. Especially with the help of some corrupted local and state agencies which unfortunally is part of life down here. It's is a known fact that baja is "Arellano" turf and that they use the pacific coast of baja to transport shipments to the border areas for export. I can see some of these guys living from time to time in areas like mulege. They may own "Vacation Homes" in alot of areas of baja. From what I read, Javier Arellano owns a few "Beach Homes" and "Ranches" in the Rosarito area. It's possible that he may own some "Vacation" property in the mulege area also. When they showed Javier being transported to san diego, he didn't look like a "Drug Dealer" nor did he look like his "wanted photo" . If he was my neighbor down the street and I saw him out in his front yard, I would have offered him a cold-one without ever guessing he was who he is.

You may never know who your neighbors really are!
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 08:37 PM
Cartel "vacation" homes

You can bet your booty that these "boys" have more "vacation" homes and properties in Baja than we can imagine. Not to mention major hotel properties and car dealerships.

Back in the early 80's, my husband and I lived in Guadalajara next door to "Sarita", one of Rafael Caro Quintero's future mistresses. (He was the guy who tortured and killed the DEA agent, Kiki Camarena, who had infiltrated his organization)

"Rafa" would send new Ford Gran Marquis and Chrysler Le Barons to her house on a daily basis, and in the evenings a full scale mariachi band would serenade her.

Meantime, her very strict parents forbade her to even look out the window. The girl was gorgeous, a total knockout. I couldn't get over how romantic the whole scene was. I thought he was a wealthy married local businessman until the s**t hit the fan. An attache (read:spook) from the embassy stopped by our house and asked some pertinent questions one day.

What a country!!!!!;D
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.