BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Did you see last week..
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 07:23 PM

Seems like the banks wont deal with most people if they dont have an account with them.
Customer service is dying or dead on both sides of the border.
Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 10:07 PM

In Santa Ana, Pizza Patron started accepting Pesos. Great !!!!!!!! Only to find locals are protesting this concept of Pizza Patron's. Really stupid :yes::yes::yes:.
Everyone traveling abroad expects them to accept dollars, why not pesos here :?:.
Oh well :P:P:P.

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 11:29 PM

Dennis:

That would be here in the states. If there IS a service charge, it is inconsequential compared to what you lose at a casa de cambio.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 04:28 AM

the banks on Cape Cod would not accept canadian change, dollars yeah, change, nada.

vgabndo B Of A they hooked up with Bancomer?? Heard they're the best way to wire funds (etc) to Mexico..

Any more info on this??

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 08:52 AM

How is this any different than the border states accepting Canadian $$$???:?::?::?::?::?: At least they USED to, not sure about now since I left Washington in 1997. Paper & coins were both legal tender. In my personal experience, Mexican banks deal ONLY in paper USD, they will not accept any US coins, regardless of value. Just a guess on my part, but I'd think that "illegal immigrants" would be getting paid in USD! I'd view this more as a convenience for "day-trippers" more than anything else!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 09:14 AM

vgabndo ----
Thanks for the info. Like I mentioned, I dont use the Cambios either. I stick with the ATM. The Cambios. from my general observation, seem to be around 20 centavos per dollar less than the bank rate. It wasn't that long ago that our choices were not so abundant.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 09:59 AM

Most places in Montana accept Canadian paper money; you take it to the bank and deposit it with everything else. But banks do not accept Canadian coins, nor do stores but they pop up from time to time and everyone wants to dump them off on someone else. If you are alert, you try to make sure you don't get a Canadian quarter with your change.

In Mexico, banks do not accept US coins, so they have limited value here. I sure wish visitors wouldn't give US coins as tips and gifts to kids. They have to take them to local Americans and ask for an exchange, they cannot spend them. I don't know if the Cambios take coin or not.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 10:21 AM

International regulation it seems - NO COINS taken for exchange in Banks!Find this problem everywhere. And as a frequent traveller, I have been asked MANY times, from locals, to change coins. Travel usually home with a heavy purse, for that reason. >f<

burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 11:57 AM

I cant say if the banks will accept US coins here in San Felipe, but all the merchants I deal with do. The only time I use US money here in Mexico is when I get I get it back as change. It seems to be accepted readily, coins as well as dollars.
About ten years ago I remember a group of Italians, that had just arrived, all they had were a few US dollars and a lot of Lira. No one had ever seen anything like it. Neither the banks, nor the merchants would take the Italian money. One of them ended up returning to the US on the bus to get all their Lira changed into dollars, so they could then be changed into pesos.
Anywhere along the border I would expect any good merchant to accept both pesos and dollars. And if Mexico had a border with Italy I would expect them to accept lira also.
Does anyone know If they accept any Guatamalan money on Mexico's southern border? Also are any of you Canadians able to use your Canadian dollars at any merchants/banks?
burro bob
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 02:20 PM

Capt. George...I don't have your answer. Try 800-346-7693.
Good luck.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.