Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Health Care--Baja
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 11:13 AM

David: I am interested in gettin feed back from Travels ,residents,etc. that have had Actual Experience with the various Clinics, Doctors, Hospitals etc. In the mean time i will get the book and take a look see.

so anyone that reads this Post please send your information along, there may be things that we can learn that will be a great Help, things that may not be in the Book.!
Skeet/Loreto
Mike
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 12:40 PM
Better have a good pen

with alot of ink. The 'guide' has only phone book info and not even that. So, you'll do alot of writing, though, once you have a base of data, it'll be a start!

good luck
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 01:03 PM
Mike O.

So what is your great interest in sabotaging this guide? You seem to be working hard at it and seem very concerned that anybody should have anything but a bad opinion of it. I have the guide and what you are saying is not true. It is very informative and contains info that is NOT easily available. On a number of occasions when I was going down there I wish I had info it contained. By the way, I have no personal interest or income coming from my endorsement, but I have become curious about your interest in badmouthing it. This book is the product of someone who knows & loves Baja and got off their butt to make a plan and idea come to fruition. Why would you want to try and harm that? M
Mike
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 04:02 PM
Sabotage?

Thats a Bugs Bunny word, right?
Just asking questions.
And seeking to fill in the blanks for those who may think it is the 'be all, end all'.
I bought one, but after spending so much of my life on the subject matter, simply replicating insufficient data does not serve the purpose for which, you would think, it would be intended.

Simple, but critical, elements were not included in the guide. Why?
Knowing the number to the local red cross leaves one with false sense of security. One of your posters is looking to fil in the data. An admirable effort. It needs it.

I leave the sabotage to others.
Besides, who has the time?

Mike Overcast
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 04:31 PM

Now! Now! Now!
this post i made for the purpose of Factual Information , and I requested no "Blame,Shame, or Flame""

To give me something to do when I was not delivering a set of Twins i realized a need in Baja for information that may not be easy to find.

In the many, many years that I traveled that road and Before i have been in some places where just a Basic First Aid Kit has been very Helpful.

Even to the point of carrying a small Breakable vial of Morphine!
There are times as people start getting in to the isolated spots of Baja Sur that they cannot pick up a phone and dial 911'

They should be aware of their general location and the nearest location of Medical Assistance, for instance: If you take the side road to Agua Verde and have a problem say 5 mies down the road, Depending the Nature of the Problem and How serious where you go back to Loreto or foward to Cuidad Constitution.

that is why I am asking as the people who live ther can seek out the information and just maybe some ones life can be saved because they have the Info. You could even tie it into GPS Locations.
Money does not interest me! Saving a life does!!
I am thinking that besides the names of the Hospitals, names of the Directors,Clinics and etc, Specific locations and Directions.

So please everyone try to help Out.
Skeet/Loreto
Mike
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 05:21 PM
Yes Skeet!

Lets make the effort one for the good of all! First hand information is best, Nomads is a terrific forum to compile and document what is REALLY happening on the penninsula. I will let my people know you have started this discussion and to add onto the thread for medical emergency info in timely accounts. The most recent the better.

My hat is off to you,

Mike Overcast
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 09:00 PM

Mike O., I really don't know how much commission the publisher will reward me for any books sold off my web site. I don't think any have been sold off it, as of yet. I posted the link to my site instead of directly to the book's site to see how it works. I realy don't care if I get anything, I am promoting the book because it is so damn good. The book is very informative, contains details I have not seen before, and is dirt cheap! I will pay twice that for almost anything that has Baja in it... and this has GPS directions to Internet cafes, police stations, hospitals!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 09:12 PM
As I said Mike,

Was just curious about your reasons, ah... silly me, I forgot, you have 'people' and your own interests in your own Baja business to look out after. Good nuff. All I said was, I am very happy with it and the details it provides and you sold it WAY short. M
Mike
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 10:04 PM
Whatever

Hey Skeet, good for you. I like efforts that benefit all, you are doing that.

Mike Overcast;)
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2004 at 08:24 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen,Boys and Girls!

Everyone that is going to Baj sur in the next year! As you are in different locations and see a Clinic and have the time or should I say Take the time, Stop and meet the people. You will be amazed at the people you meet and the Friend you might make for the future Trips.

Some Travelers may not realize that most of the time if you go into a Hospital, you have to go to a different Location for Blood Test, and when you get those test it is up to you to Pay for them and take them back to the doc., or the Hosptial.

Also that if you are in the Hospital, your family members are expected to take care of your needs, if your family is near.

It is my desire to give out information that has been received from persons who have received those Services or have discussed with the various Medical personal.

thanks for you imput! Skeet/Loreto
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2004 at 08:12 PM

I have used the hospital at Santa Rosalia twice. First time I had a fish hook buried and I could not push it through. Went to the hospital and they gave me an anasthetic and pulled it. No charge but we made a donation to the hospital.
Second time, I had a friend who had what I thought was a heart attack while staying at San Lucas Cove. Took him in and they found an old wicker wheel chair with no rubber on one wheel. We got him into bed and the doctor wanted to do an intake so he hunted for about 20 minutes for the right paper and then typed everything on an old royal manual typewriter. The Key cover was gone and it was missing one spool for the ribbon but no problem they just pulled the ribbon on to the floor and then when it filled the spool, they just pulled it off on to the floor again. Then I had to drive down into town and go to all of the different pharmacies for the medicine the doctor wanted. Then they tried to do an EKG but the machine was so antiquated that it did not function and we could not get a reading. I asked if they were going to do an enzyme test and they assured me they would since he was suspected of having a heart attack. But when I checked with my friend, he indicated that they never did take blood. So anyway they held him for four days and then released him and since he had gotten better with all the steroids, they diagnosed the problem as emphysema. Total cost for 4 days for the hospital--$99.00. When I got him back to San Lucas he went right back into breathing problems so he rode out to San Diego with some guys who were EMT's. Diagnosis there? full blown heart attack and he had more attacks when he was in the hospital.
So the moral of the story, the hospital in Santa Rosalia is about the same as an emergency clinic and does great with babies and fishhooks, but anything more than that and I will probably head to the US as fast as I can.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2004 at 08:22 PM

Thanks Pescador!
that is just what I am looking for!
When I left Loreto a couple of years back there was a women named Paulina who was trying to get a Defibilator into the Hospital there. Is there any one in Loreto who has that information?

Bob and Susan in Mulege! How about your Health Care?

Does anyone know about Guerrero N
Negro?

I know that there is excellent Service in Constitution{3 Hospitals},several Clinics.
i am hoping to make a trip down and comply some basic information. thanks for any Help!! Skeet/Loreto
Mike
Banned

[*] posted on 2-11-2004 at 07:27 PM
Yes,

after all of the cases I have either been a witness to heard third hand from valid sources (Insurance companies, Consulate, SD County Government) there are AT LEAST two medical emergencies per day in Baja California (the whole thing).

One prevailing truth I see in the majority of the cases is...GET TO THE STATES ASAP. I mean, don't panic, but, do what you can, to overcome logistic and legal issues and beware of medical diagnostic questions. Often, its the medical figuring out business that compounds the logistic and legal problems.

great thread

mike
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2004 at 10:02 PM

Mike. Are the things you are getting for Baja Norte in and around TJ,Ensenada, SAn Quntin?
I have found in the areas that i have been in that you are much better off getting Local Assistance. Why take the chance coming back to the States when you have good Care near?
I am not sure if I am following your Logic!

True Story;Several years ago a 70 year old large Male in the company of his wife, had a Stroke at Creel{In the mountains between Los Mochis.
Mexicano people got a local pilot, who took out the rear seat of the Plane, picked the Man up in a Mattress from the Hotes, put him in the back of a pick up truck,up a very bad road to the Plane and flew him to the hospital in Chiuachia.
one week in the clinic and then I went down and brought him back in a Car.
Emergency Air Service would not accept anything but Cash to go get him. Medicare paid for most of the health Care while in the Hospital. Price quoted for Emergency service to El Paso $15,000
he later said that he was much better off boing to the Mexican Hospital and staying than Risk a Flight North.
Skeet/Loreto
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 11:28 AM
All Posters!

Please talk to all of your friends and enemies . Ask Tucker at La Paz about Health Care, Ask Pam in Loreto, How about Bob and Susan in Muelge!

Please we need your information about the Medical Care.
It will take people to save lives in Baja ,not Airplanes and Consulates.
Get to know your local people it will pay off!
Skeet/Loreto
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.