BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Punta Baja = Real Baja
Bobbuzz

[*] posted on 5-22-2007 at 08:37 PM

Just got done reading those, good stuff as usual.

Since you have driven this road is it possible to trailer a 15' tin boat on these roads?
Are there areas that require 4WD?
Any deep sand?
Good access to launch area?
Is the south facing beach of Punta Baja free from breaking waves?
I am not opposed to taking boat off of trailer and rolling to water on balls or fenders.
Just looking for some good info for future fishing spots.

Thanks for always keeping us up to date on the off highway travels of Baja.

BajaBuzz
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-22-2007 at 08:41 PM

Buzz, see my web page I posted right above your question... the sort answer is no 4WD needed... good graded road... all the way south, in fact.

Crossing the Rosario River are a couple of puddles, but the ground is firm and the locars drive their sedans over them every day.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 5-23-2007 at 07:03 AM

Buzz,

I've been getting ready to do much the same thing as you describe. Only my tin boat is a bit bigger. I've driven the roads to Pta Baja a few times... for the most part they are well graded roads that would handle towing a boat. To the best of my knowledge (limited, to be sure) there are two spots to launch boats out at the point. They are both sort of modified beach ramps. All cobble and a bit on the steep side. I'm pretty sure you'd need 4x4 to haul out. I get the impression that one could most likely back a trailer into the water, but I just don't know for sure. Might need to do the beach launch as you describe. The point is very well protected, and I believe it would be a relatively easy launch if the swell was not up. From what I've seen, the waves don't break on the south side of the point... at least not all the way down. (They do out towards the very tip.)

If you go, let us know how it was. I'll do likewise. I'll be there in July for the Rosario Festival and plan to do a better check of the situation then (if I don't go sooner.)

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 5-23-2007 at 02:30 PM

BajaAndy and David K thanks for the info.
I am driving down second week of June to look at some lots and houses in San Quintin. Won't be taking a boat this time but plan on driving out to Punta Baja to take a look before I head over to Gonzaga Bay. May do some shore fishing at Punta Baja if time permits.
I will post what I find as far as launching and access goes.
It looks to be a great area that does not get sport fished much.
I prefer the out of the way places. Fishing is usually much better.
Thanks again!!

BajaBuzz
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-23-2007 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbuzzetti
BajaAndy and David K thanks for the info.
I am driving down second week of June to look at some lots and houses in San Quintin. Won't be taking a boat this time but plan on driving out to Punta Baja to take a look before I head over to Gonzaga Bay. May do some shore fishing at Punta Baja if time permits.
I will post what I find as far as launching and access goes.
It looks to be a great area that does not get sport fished much.
I prefer the out of the way places. Fishing is usually much better.
Thanks again!!

One of my friends in San Quintin is selling a house he just built. It's brand new!
Here is a link.
http://nearfutures.net

Is this one of the houses you're looking at? If not stop by and check it out. My friend John just finished it a couple of months ago.

I watched the pangueros recover boats at Punta Baja. They used a long rope tied to the truck up on firm ground and dragged them up with an axle tied under the boat. It didn't look easy and a little hard on the boat too.
Also, there was probably 100 or more commercial pangas there. I would imagine in good weather the area gets fished hard.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 5-23-2007 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
I watched the pangueros recover boats at Punta Baja. They used a long rope tied to the truck up on firm ground and dragged them up with an axle tied under the boat. It didn't look easy and a little hard on the boat too.
Also, there was probably 100 or more commercial pangas there. I would imagine in good weather the area gets fished hard.

I agree about the fact that the place may get fished hard. But, on a good note, I do recall seeing LOTS of bait in the water when I paddled out a couple miles south of the point to surf. Schools of bait everywhere. (But that was last July.)

I watched the pangueros launch a boat out at the point once. They pulled the boat down the "ramp" then they launched bow first (as they usually do) by pushing the corner of the transom with the bumper of their 4x4 until the boat was afloat. Never saw them recover, but I'd imagine they'd pull it up much as you describe. Still not sure if you could actually pull a boat out of the water on a trailer there. I sort of doubt it unless you had a long extension for the tongue, or a winch to pull the boat up onto the trailer. I think you could make the slope of the ramp in 4x4 with aired down tires though.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Bobbuzz

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 09:14 PM

Yes FishBuck that is one of the places I am looking at. I will also be looking at lots.
It appears to need some interior finishing. But seems to have a great location. IMO

John and I have been in contact by email and he has sent me many pictures and assorted information.
Will be in the area second week of June.
Looking forward to meeting John and seeing his house for sale.

Bajaandy, Fishbuck my boat is a 15' aluminum Gregor so it is pretty easy to manipulate by hand with two to three guys. I would have no problem pulling it up the beach with the truck and a tow strap. I have devised a method for getting the boat back on the trailer using the existing winch.
Boat is about 700 lbs with engine, fuel and gear.
Sounds like there is a paved ramp farther south. This is closer to San Geronimo and Sacramento Reef any way so that would be worth checking out.:bounce:

BajaBuzz
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.