Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: First trip to Baja
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 08:25 AM

October 1950- Sailor at North Island-2 Trips toTJ- Still donot like it!

October 1967-Flew my First Trip to Ray Cannon's Place at Bueno Vista

Stopped At Loreto and fell in Love with the Sea of Cortez

1972 Tio Don O'Neil and I purchased Property North of Loreto

1976- Purchased First and Only Panga from Mac Schoyer La Paz

1983 Moved on the Property North and Started buliding Rancho Sonrisa.
planted over 250 Coco Palms and other Plants.Moved fulltime to Loreto.

1992 Formed Ranchosonrisa SA De CV-Moved full time to Loreto.

2001 Left Loreto returned to the States.

One of the Best of my many Adventures, The People, The Sea, The Beauty of Baja Sur changed my Life.

Skeet/Loreto
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 01:26 PM
San Felipe 1975

About two years before we were married, my girlfriend and I went camping in San Felipe back in 1975 when there wasn't very much there of the town we know today.
Started out to go camping over a three day weekend somewhere around Doheney Stae Park but didn't have a reservation and all the campgrounds in So Cal were filled up so we made a last minute change in plans and headed to Baja for our very first trip.
So crazy cause looking back we didn't even hesitate, even though three of the four or us had never been to Baja before!

San Felipe Camping 1975.JPG - 12kB

Just do it!
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 01:36 PM
Cemetary shot

San Felipe- cemetary.JPG - 27kB

Just do it!
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 01:58 PM

Skeet , thanks for the input about your beginnings in Baja . Would have loved to have seen it in the early days .

Was the fishing as good as they ?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 02:11 PM
Off Cabo San Lucas

Yah, fishing was okay back in '66...

66-67 pics 006.jpg - 50kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 02:23 PM

First trip was to Punta Banda in 1964 on a diving trip. Many trips from there to San Quintin diving and fishing.
In 1971 I bought a Ford 4X4, with a tin boat on top, and headed to the tip of Baja. Went to Cabo twice before the asphalt road. Hundred of trips since the first one and have property on the east cape and a house in Campo La Jolla on Punta Banda.
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 02:38 PM

Nice hat david k , Bigboy , did you ever dive in San Quintin bay and see the locomotive engine that was suppose to be in the entrance ? I've heard it was agood spot for bugs.

Anyone dived it ?
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 03:07 PM

Nope.........never dove the bay or even heard about the locomotive at the entrance to the bay.
We would camp on the beach, south of the cinder cones, carry the boat then the motor then all of our dive gear and row through the kelp and surf and dive Isla San Martin. After the dive, we would reverse the procedure, drink a few beers and nap on the beach only to do the same for a few more days.
It was at San Martin that got me interested in calico fishing. Still after the calico's and I fish a few calico tournaments every year!
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 05:06 PM

Just looked up San Martin after your post , didn't know about these islands and seamounts .

Thanks again Nomads Can anyone give more info on diving in this area ?
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 06:04 PM

fISHBUCK ..... I do like this.... I know it sounds like ' BS ' but the next trip you take there is better than the last one which was the the best trip ever .:yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 06:34 PM

The Baja Adventure Book discusses the seamounts and diving and ship wrecks, too.

The railroad locomotive was lost while it was being loaded onto a ship for transport to a new home at an Arizona mine, in 1909. A heavy swell was blamed for the accident. The 1.6 tons of rails, 50,000 ties and flatcars from the short lived Peninsula Railroad did make it to a California port and on to the Santa Clara mines at Swansea, Arizona.

The causeway across the narrow part of the inner bay at San Quintin was the biggest problem in the first part of building the railroad that was to connect San Quintin with Tijuana, Yuma, and south to Bahia de los Angeles!

This will make a good subject to write a story on... stay tuned!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 07:40 PM

On it's way to swansea, Arizona in 1909 , David what were they mining at the mine in Az. ?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2008 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
On it's way to swansea, Arizona in 1909 , David what were they mining at the mine in Az. ?

Gold and copper, according to page 57 of Baja California Railways by John A. Kirchner (where most of anything about trains in Baja can be found!)

books 043.jpg - 40kB

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2008 at 11:54 AM

!965- Camping with my folks at Half Way House. First adventure trip (without parents) took us down the peninsula in 1979 on the way to Guatemala. I was gone for 3 months on $450 !!! Those segunda clase trains on the mainland were awesome.
livencabo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2008 at 12:34 PM

1942, I was 2 years old and my father slipped away for a beer at the cantina in Ensenada. He sat me up on the bar at Hussong's. That was the last trip for a while when my mother found out.
Wingnut
Nomad

Mood: Baja Pensive

[*] posted on 2-27-2008 at 03:08 PM

First trips to Mexico were: 1950's to Agua Prieta across the border from Douglas AZ with my Father and brothers. We went twice a year to sign up vaqueros to work the ranch.
1965 - 1970's: Many trips to Nogales while college student at the UofA and numerous trips to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point for you English speakers) to fish off the old wooden boat run by Marcellus. We fished with nylon hand lines catching grouper, parga and such in the Sea of Cortez. Great bars and beaches in those days. Visited Tiajuana in my college days.

1990's: Took my first trips to Cabo San Lucas and fell in love with it. Been back ever since usually twice a year. Run the gamut down Highway 1 (got my sticker!) and more. Have taken the ferry from Guaymas and across and of course flown into Cabo numerous times. No matter how I got there, it always felt like I was home when I arrived. Plan to retire part-time in a few years....No place like Baja!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2008 at 03:14 PM

1951----

Five years old and parents took us to the bullfights in Tijuana.

Hated it! Spend most of the time covering my eyes. I never wanted to go back! :no::no:

Diane

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2008 at 09:35 PM

Also a late bloomer as some of the others, first was around 1989 (lousy memory!) for Tecate Enduro...could have been a XCountry or Hare Scramble, maybe even a Hare and Hound, it was most defenitely a motorcycle race of some kind!!!

Dang my memory SUCKS!!! Of course I was racing about 45 races of year of all those kinds of events with some Motocross thrown in for the fun of it back then. Now, 15 years later, it is hard to keep them all straight.

I sure wish I could have went there in the late '60's or early '70's though!
Sparetimewanted
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2008 at 10:23 PM

1977, during Easter break of my senior year in HS. My folks let me drive two buddies to my friend's uncles house (trailer) in Puertocitos. The drive took much longer than expected, and the last stretch from San Felipe was all sand and all in the dark. We got stuck twice and locals pulled us out both times. What a great adventure for 3 17 year olds. 2nd trip was in 1980, a drive to CSL.

I sure envy you guys that got to go down there before the road was paved.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.