Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja in Yosemite
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

biggrin.gif posted on 5-6-2004 at 08:06 AM

Skeet ... Did you Hike over to Fresno?
WOW the days before dentist in Biship :biggrin:
Your in a great place my brother lives in mammoth. So between Mammoth, La Paz and San Diego. One needs good teeth, cause One is allways smile'n :biggrin:

All that wonder are not lost
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 03:09 PM

Most of my Hiking out of Bishop{only one Stop Light in Town} was out of South Lake, La Conte Canyon and up to a little Known Lake called "Ampththeater"!I had to do some Rock climbing to get to it, would stay camped about a week,FISHING.Had 3 to 5 Lb "CrossBow Trout' that you could see taking your Bait at 30 Feet below the surface!

Hiked into "Bloody Lakes near Mamouth and caught a 3lb 3 oz Golden Trout{The only fish I have on my Wall} Climbed straight over to "Rock Lake several times{near Convict Lake}

Schats Bakery was still downtown and run by Dan Schat.He had a "Boldow-Phebus Sailplane" .On e day I pulled him off at Bishop Airport{5,000 elevation} dropped him off 2,000 ft above and he took his little Bird to 31,000 Ft. with no Oxygen}

Did a lot of flying over Yosemite at that time, have been on Half-Dome, and over it at 100 Ft.

Went into many of the small Lakes and Streams around Mamouth,Twin Lakes etc.
Always with Fishing on my mind.

If you want Peace and quiet try a trip to "Amphitheater"

Many, many good memories! thanks for all the Posts

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 05:08 PM
Sierra sunrise

Skeets, how can you see Yosemite from clear down in Loreto? Just curious.
I saw the mountains this morning, before my first cup of coffee, just before sunrise they look like they are laser-cut. Awesome, then about noon the snow peaks cleared up a bit and we had a mid-day view, as well.
So, where are you seeing the mountains?
Our house is on a hill, East facing, 4 miles East of Oakdale, Yosemite is framed in my front window, about 60 miles straight away.
Are you joining us in June for a wimpy hike and a great lunch? Come on along!
By the way, I too caught a mess of native golden trout a couple years ago at Minaret Lake, we were in there for a few wonderful days of backpacking.
Someone said, "Hey, the limit is only 5" and I said, "Doesn't matter, cause I don't have a license."

Baja Arriba!!
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 09:34 PM
otro mojado sin licencia

to quote the famous Flaco Jimenez song

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 09:36 PM
with the smoggy valley air

it must be a rare day when Skeet can see the Sierra Nevada from Two Sticks

No se apure y dure.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2004 at 10:45 PM

We are about 3 miles East of Dos Palos, calif looking to the North East , about 3 miles off of Hwy 152. It was very clear this Morning with the Clouds stringing out over the Valley. If you are 3 miles East of oakdale you are very near to the Place where Virginia bought the Fox Trotter she got thrown from!!-
I have a cousin that races cars out of Oakdale by the name of Lewellen. His Mother owns the old Miner's Resort just above Priest Grade.If you have ever been to the Old Cliff House or "the Iron door in Groveland, my Uncle owned them all at one time. He also Had Buck Meadows at the time Cherry was being Built. I would drive up from Fresno and Tend Bar on the Week ends.

My time was when the Winkin Lantern and the 3 Story "hoarHouse" was still operating at Yosemite Junction and D
on Pedro had not been heard about.!!

Yuall come down to see me , Ya Hear!

Skeet/loreto

"In God I Trust"-
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 08:31 AM
the Iron Door

funny you should mention it.

We (thebajarunner and I and others) were just there a couple of weeks ago on our way back from Hetch Hethcy. We needed to show thebajarunner's future son in law (a Texan-Brit) some local color.

As for the Miner's Inn, was that the restaurant (turquoise in color) on the right side of the road with the best pies? If so, it is now a computer repair place and something else.

No se apure y dure.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 05:12 PM
Sierras, etc

Skeets, why in the world would we drive down to Dos Palos when you could drive on up to the mountains? Sonora Pass opened this afternoon, come on up our way.
Yep, lots of horses for sale along Orangeblossom Rd., which runs just North of us a couple hundred yards. Mostly they smell bad and eat a lot, about all I know on horses.
As to the Iron Door Saloon visit, the Baja Vida nearly had a coronary when he thought we were passing it up. We were just looking for a legal parking place, he suggested we just leave the car in the road and get on in.
Anyway, the snow peaks were out all morning, now the smog has settled in, sigh...

Baja Arriba!!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 04:57 AM

You are so Right!!
So ayer my wife and I departed our Digs on the Shafter Canal and proceeded to a 10,000 Acre Ranch near Corasegold to have a BBQ and watch a Cowboy ride a Bronco. It had been many years since I had been to the area,What a surprise to see all the Multi-million Dollar Trophy Houses among the Hills! to see the "Rabble of Shops" where once stood and old County Lodge.
We were treated to a Ride by the California Bare-Back Bronc champion of California!

There are still Cowboys !1 But as i looked at the Snow covered Peaks , this ole boy longed for the Trails and Lakes of the Hi Sierra,!
"God willing and the Creeks Don't rise " someday I will be able to Hike the Trail to "Ostrander Lake" again!

Have fun on your Hike.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 05:06 AM

M
Hang in there Pretty Lady!!Think Positive!

My hope is to Ski Badger,China Peak, and Mammouth again!!
Depends if the Doctor gives me a go ahead with the Altitude on whether or not it will "Pop" these Stents around my ole Heart!

I will have you in my Prayers today as I make Coffee for the Early arrivals at Church!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 12:42 PM

I managed to fight the phone crowds and secured a campsite in Yosemite Valley July 18-25th. If you are going to be in the valley at that time, let me know and I'll let you know where you can drop by for a cold one.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.