Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Morro Bay, Mission San Antonio de Padua and Elephant Seals
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 10:01 PM
Morro Bay, Mission San Antonio de Padua and Elephant Seals

As we posted last week in the thread about the Far Western Tavern in Guadalupe, since we cannot head south right now, we headed north for a few days.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=50268

We were inspired to head north to see the elephant seals we have not seen for a few years by Ken Bondy's report.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=50184

Sparing you the details of the all day journey to Guadalupe and the first night in San Luis Obispo, I will just say it included Malibu, Lompoc, a couple of so named scenic routes and a quick look at John's childhood home in Oxnard---took some personal pix for his mom.

Next morning we headed to Morro Bay and the Natural History Museum to see Ken Bondy's exhibit---VERY WELL WORTH SEEING.

The museum is not large, but very nice with very nice people there

And yes, Ken's exhibit is still there---we really enjoyed it.

Great views from where the Museum sits. Even on a very sunny day. The weather man said it would be cloudy---better photo weather, but he was wrong!

So off to see the magnificent elephant seals----so beautiful, so interesting, so loud but the sun was so bright that we threw all the photos away except one.

To try an keep cool, these creatures try to cover themselves with sand and on that very warm day, they were really throwing the sand.

Sand even in the eye!

At the time, we did not know that in two days, we would be back---never know where we are going.

We left with the intention of taking the Nacimento Road from Highway 1 through Fort Hunter Liggett over to Highway 101---had not taken that road for a number of years and it passes through some of the most beautiful pristine Oak country around. Did not know where we were headed, but opps, started to turn on the road to find a sign---Bridge Out.

Now where---we decided to head towards the Pinnacles where we had not been hiking for years. So it was off to Holister where there had been one of there constant earthquakes the night before, and we were not disappointed as there were two strong aftershocks that night.

On the way to Holister, we sidetracked through San Juan Bautista, a town we have always liked and where these guys are everywhere on the streets!

The next morning we headed down the San Andreas fault, AKA Highway 25 for the Pinnacles National Monument. But we discovered that dogs are not allowed on any of the trails, so we did not stay long and only one pix

---not all our last minute plans work-out---well, then again, they do. On our way there we noticed a dirt road that headed over the hills back to Gonzales on Highway 101. So we decided to check it out and it was a good choice---nice ride

Good dirt road---rather steep as it drops into the Salinas Valley. Had to decide where to go next. We decided to head down to the Fort Hunter Liggett road again and see how far we could travel it. So, before Gonzales we took a back road into Soledad and then another one into King City---we just enjoy wandering around the farm country and through the foothills.

But we did end up at Fort Hunter Liggett and on the base is the Mission San Antonio de Padua---not as often visited as it is off the main path. While we are not fans of what the mission system represents, we did enjoy the restoration, the small museum, the people and the setting. A few pics of the mission.

And the mission cat

We very much recommend this road to anyone who loves this kind of back country. The bridge is supposed to be open again this week. It is also a good place to see elk, bobcats, and too many rattlesnakes. :biggrin:

So now where? We started heading south on County roads---thought we knew where we might be going---kept getting G13, G14 and G19 mixed up--oh well we were not sure where we were going, and it did not matter as we would end up somewhere.

Suddenly, we realized we were headed back to 101---so we decided that from there, we would take the beautiful Highway 46 back to Highway 1 and the Elephant Seals ---maybe the weather would cooperate and if not, oh well, they are worth seeing over and over so off to San Simeon which is real empty this time of year. Don't go there during the spring or summer without a reservation and all the hotels are booked!

We were up early the next day and off to the Elephant Seals---as soon as the sun came up and the seals were active, it was BRIGHT, BRIGHT and BRIGHT---but we got a some pix that we thought were OK and show some of the behavior.

Just a few of them

Hi, I am coming to take over the girls!

OH no you are not!

Here he comes

Go away!

No way he is going away!

He lets her know he means business!

He looks like he is smiling---but not her!

Hi Mom

See how cute I am

I want my mom!

Can we talk?

Happy Dreams

He is an old boy who is still active!

Away from the crowd---maybe next year they can join the group

He is waving good-bye to us.

The fog was not far away

We ended the day with a not too long hike up the mountains---dang those trails start off steep and they are very overgrown this time of the year.

Really thick growth around here--

And just one of natures framing of a small plant

Tommy Dog says thanks for coming along for the ride.

Edited to put Gonzalez back on Highway 101, no Highway 1 and to move that bridge north of Fort Hunter Liggett where it belongs. :biggrin:

[Edited on 1-19-2011 by DianaT]

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 10:22 PM

Beautiful pictures Diana!! I don't know which one is mt fav but those roosters are gorgeous!I also love the pic of the 'weeping trees". All lovely.Thanks! Well actually the last one is pretty darn cute and a great way to put a FINI on your pic/story!:yes:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 10:26 PM

I'm out of superlatives for those Diana!! Absolutely wonderful. Your elephant seal series is as good as it gets. That "how cute I am" image is particularly precious. Seeing those magnificent animals on those beaches, living out their incredibly difficult lives right in front of us, is truly one of the most spectacular things you can see in nature, how fortunate we are that our species didn't quite kill all of their species!! Thank you so much for the kind words about our exhibit, that relationship with the museum has really become very important to Gary and me. Be safe on the rest of your trip. Any chance of you and John meeting Pam and me sometime for real in the future?

carpe diem!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Beautiful pictures Diana!! I don't know which one is mt fav but those roosters are gorgeous!I also love the pic of the 'weeping trees". All lovely.Thanks! Well actually the last one is pretty darn cute and a great way to put a FINI on your pic/story!:yes:

Thanks! I love the colors of roosters ---beautiful and of course, I do think that is a very cute dog---not that I am biased or anything. :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
I'm out of superlatives for those Diana!! Absolutely wonderful. Your elephant seal series is as good as it gets. That "how cute I am" image is particularly precious. Seeing those magnificent animals on those beaches, living out their incredibly difficult lives right in front of us, is truly one of the most spectacular things you can see in nature, how fortunate we are that our species didn't quite kill all of their species!! Thank you so much for the kind words about our exhibit, that relationship with the museum has really become very important to Gary and me. Be safe on the rest of your trip. Any chance of you and John meeting Pam and me sometime for real in the future?

Ken,
I hope we do meet! After the last day with the Elephant seals, we spent one more night in San Simeon and headed home---directly home because of some obligations--not the way we like to travel.

Thanks maestro for the kind comments---I am also rather fond of the How Cute Am I. I think about that one when I read that about 50% of them do not make it the first year. They do have a tough life. It is easy to just watch and listen to them for hours and it is amazing that we get to do so.

Oh, I forgot this one---little guy had his home along the trail and I love the way they freeze when you surprise them.

[Edited on 1-19-2011 by DianaT]

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 07:07 AM

Your photography and stories just keep getting better! Very very nice! Thanks!
I spent a lot of time running those roads in the early 70's in my 914 but never saw what you showed. But then my memory is Really bad. Did you come across any turkeys? I use to see a lot of them out in the oak tree country.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 09:31 AM

Outstanding. That is a wonderful drive from HWY-1 through Hunter-Ligett, one of my favorites. The fork for South Coast Ridge Road is worth the drive as well, drops you off on HWY-1 near Willow Creek.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 09:39 AM

Breath Taking Diane.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 12:23 PM

Beautiful images - all of 'em, Diane.

I especially like the ones of the mission. Interesting how similar in architecture are various missions. Mission San Antonio de Padua and Mission San Carlos Borroméo del río Carmelo (also known as the Carmel Mission in CA) look almost exactly the same except for the landscaping.

Seems like lots of spirits still inhabit these sites. Sometimes when visiting I 'hear' the bells chime, 'see' the Indios learning to tat, 'watch' the children walking in lines between classroom and catedral. My romantic vision of how it was. :rolleyes:

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 12:40 PM

Nena,
You would like this mission---outside they have quiet bells in the background and in the chapel there are recorded nice chants being played. It is a working mission, but it is also a place anyone can go for a spiritual retreat---do not need to be Catholic---just a retreat--no phone, computer, etc., And it is a beautiful setting! But about that romantic historical vision of yours---- :biggrin: Oh, when the docent told us this was the third mission built in the California Mission system, we reminded her about the ones in Baja, but she assured us that was different---we smiled and said no more.

Rts----gracias amigo. Maybe see you soon.

Sunman---that road that comes out at Willow Creek begins where? We have been over those mountains a few different ways, but that one does not sound familiar----dang, if it is one we have missed, that means we just have to go back and drive it. :biggrin: That pristine back country is wonderful. Thanks for the nice comment

Russ
We seem to see more wild turkeys today than in the more recent past, but those little monsters just won't stop to have their photos taken. On this trip we did see a couple of flocks and they are beautiful. Thanks

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 12:41 PM

Love your travel style, just take the road that looks best. I love the National parks, but I avoid them as I travel with my dog.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 12:58 PM

Outstanding pic of Morro Bay Diane...you were travelling over all my old stomping grounds (it was difficult to study at Cal Poly SLO since Big Sur was always beckoning---loved exploring the ridge roads that intersect Hunter Liggett at the top of the pass)...a beautiful world of Oaks, Bay Laurel, Madrone, Redwood, Santa Lucia Fir, Tanbark, Bishop Pine, so many more.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 01:03 PM

nice pics. Question: They look either treated or shot with something like infrared film. Which is it? They look cool - surreal. Looks like a fun trip.

yuletide
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 01:10 PM

diane,this is one of my summer stomping grounds....come back in the summer/fall and ck out the arryo seco river...lets put this way" hawaii wished they had this"
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 02:35 PM

Absolutely beautiful, Diana. I totally agree with Russ that your work has improved immensely. Time to turn pro.

And you "almost" avoided capturing the PG&E stacks in your Morro Bay pix.:lol:

We have family scattered throughout the area you traversed. Your photos have given me a renewed interest in visiting them. As for the Hollister experience, I had to visit Hollister the day after the Loma Prieta earthquake as a disaster coordinator. You think you had aftershocks? I selpt with my shoes on.
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

Sunman---that road that comes out at Willow Creek begins where? Thanks

Diane,
As you summit Nacimiento-Fergusson Road from PCH (before the ranger station) there is a fork to the left for Cone Peak and a fork right for South Coast Ridge Road (23S05), some maps list it as Los Burros Road, this is the road I am speaking of.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Love your travel style, just take the road that looks best. I love the National parks, but I avoid them as I travel with my dog.

Tis the best way to travel, we think. Even when we have traveled by bus in other countries, we just plan a day at a time, and even those plans can be flexible. Some times we get into a little trouble like driving long after we want to, but in the end it works out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Outstanding pic of Morro Bay Diane...you were travelling over all my old stomping grounds (it was difficult to study at Cal Poly SLO since Big Sur was always beckoning---loved exploring the ridge roads that intersect Hunter Liggett at the top of the pass)...a beautiful world of Oaks, Bay Laurel, Madrone, Redwood, Santa Lucia Fir, Tanbark, Bishop Pine, so many more.

Thanks and yea, it is a another beautiful area with lots of diversity----a real education out there!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
nice pics. Question: They look either treated or shot with something like infrared film. Which is it? They look cool - surreal. Looks like a fun trip.

Thanks---most of the mission pix and the trail pix were process with an HDR program, not the animal photos and others, however----It is an interesting program and very popular these days. One takes 3 or more pictures of the same thing with three different exposure settings---every exposure picks up different detail---The Photomatrix and the neat thing is that you can download it and try it for free---it will leave a watermark on your final picture until you decide to buy it.

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
diane,this is one of my summer stomping grounds....come back in the summer/fall and ck out the arryo seco river...lets put this way" hawaii wished they had this"

It is amazing. When John worked in Carmel, for a while he lived in Palo Colorado Canyon in Big Sur----dark and drippy, and thick with growth.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Absolutely beautiful, Diana. I totally agree with Russ that your work has improved immensely. Time to turn pro.

And you "almost" avoided capturing the PG&E stacks in your Morro Bay pix.:lol:

We have family scattered throughout the area you traversed. Your photos have given me a renewed interest in visiting them. As for the Hollister experience, I had to visit Hollister the day after the Loma Prieta earthquake as a disaster coordinator. You think you had aftershocks? I selpt with my shoes on.

OK, we could photoshop those smoke stacks out, but they are such a part of Morro Bay and would be missed if they were gone. :biggrin: Hollister is the place to be for earthquakes! But then again, we have been in many earthquakes---never get really get used to them. :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunman

Diane,
As you summit Nacimiento-Fergusson Road from PCH (before the ranger station) there is a fork to the left for Cone Peak and a fork right for South Coast Ridge Road (23S05), some maps list it as Los Burros Road, this is the road I am speaking of.

THANKS! I don't think we have gone that way---but we will!

Appreciate all the comments.

Diana y John

[Edited on 1-20-2011 by DianaT]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.