Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Maui vacation
Barbarosa
Nomad

Mood: "On th' road again..."

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Bob H, Thanks for the pictures. I was convinced somewhere in Baja was the place for me to retire. The fishing.:( The property ownership ?:?: Changed my mind. Now focused on Hawaii. Did you go to Hana?

Nice pix, indeed.

As for relocating there, in my experience most folks who have done that have gotten bored. I know I would. But then I love road trips.

I have a friend over there with a motorcycle and I tease her that she probly has a sign on her fridge that says (front and back): "clockwise" "counterclockwise" so she can keep track of how to vary her ride each day.

Barbarosa
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 12:55 PM

Barbarosa, You're right, "Island Fever" comes to mind. But I'm gonna give it a shot.:biggrin:
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
And maybe do Kauai the next time? My actual fave.:D

Yeah, there's no place like the North Shore of Kauai. Incredible scenery, stunning views, great surf, perfect weather, beautiful vibe. I was out in the water there once, getting my kids to paddle and stand up on a long board in some easy little surf, and one of them got a great ride. Nice popup after my push, a perfect little bottom turn (entirely by accident), stood tall and right in the pocket all the way to the beach, and then just stepped off onto the sand. Smooth, like he'd been doing it all his life. One of the guys out in the lineup was a local guy, a real Hawaiian waterman, and he cheered even louder than I did, for the entire ride, completely whooping it up. Got everyone else cheering too. I've never experienced such positive energy from a total stranger. You could tell that to that guy, catching and really digging into a wave is one of the most profound things you'll ever experience and he is totally stoked every time he sees it happen no matter who's doing it, where they're from, or what else they do for a living.

Here's what else I like about the North Shore:

The Hanalei Dolphin Fish Market. Damn fine poke and a great selection of fresh fish, including opah, my favorite. We pulled in one day to pick up some fish to cook for dinner, and a couple of Hawaiian guys were unloading half a dozen huge yellowfin tuna from a pickup and hauling them into the market. The fish looked like shiny torpedoes, with that vicious scythe of a tail. My sons, blown away by the size and vibrant colors of the massive fish, just stood there watching as they were carried past. One of the Hawaiians winked at the kids and said, "hey, you should be here when we bring in da big ones, bra."

Hanalei Bay. Routinely ranked as one of the best beaches in the world, for good reason. Can you say, "jogging supermodels"? Things like that make your first cup of Kauai coffee on the beach early in the morning something very special. ;D

The chickens. If you know, I don't have to say anything else.

Three minute rainstorms at the beach, bracketed by blazing sun and warm tradewinds. One of my kids yelled to me from the water during one of these:
"Dad, dad, it's raining!"
"Yeah, so what?"
"I'm gonna get wet!"
"Uh, dude, you're in the water. Aren't you already wet?"
"Oh, yeah."
Seriously. You can't make this stuff up.

The farmers' markets. Tons of amazing stuff I didn't even know existed, including reasonably priced passion fruit.

Watching the kids dive off the Hanalei pier. They spent entire days just doing that (in between trips to get shave ice). Why not? Pretty soon they'll be spending entire days banging their heads against the wall like the rest of us.

Shave ice. It's a meal in a cup. Well, it is at least 1,000 calories, if you're doing it right.

Kipu Falls. The falls feed a deep freshwater swimming hole under a canopy of trees more than 30 feet above the water from which the local kids, who appear to have absolutely no fear, do acrobatic falls and dives. Tourists do belly flops and faceplants off a rope swing that drops them a measly 20 feet. A good time is had by all.

The Nui. Again, if you know, I don't need to say anything else.

The young Hawaiian surfers who tear up the big surf that sometimes closes out the Bay, without using surf leashes. A good number of them, I'm told by an amused lifeguard, also do not know how to swim. Leashes and swimming are for wusses, apparently.

Kayaking (except the part where my wife bites it in the surf while landing on the beach and comes up without those really expensive #*!$ing sunglasses she needed for the trip to Hawaii).

Beach boys giving surf lessons to and putting the make on tourist hotties in the lineup. If and when I am reincarnated, I want to be one of those guys.

Snorkeling at Ke'e Beach. Ever seen a sea urchin the size of a basketball?

Mai tais on the lanai at sunset. Hell, mai tais on the lanai pretty much any time. After all, it rhymes.

The one thing about the North Shore that I don't like? Leaving.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 04:30 PM

Stayed two months (from Hilton to camping) on Kauai.
Give me Baja ANY day! 'different strokes' I guess.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 06:14 PM

Leave the islands to the Japanese. They're used to living on an island in closed quarters.:no:
Baja has them beat by a million miles.:biggrin: (except for the armpit part.:no:)

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Leave the islands to the Japanese. They're used to living on an island in closed quarters.:no:
Baja has them beat by a million miles.:biggrin: (except for the armpit part.:no:)

I love Baja. And, I also beg to differ on your opinion about 'closed quarters'... there is so much open space, vast land and mountains, waterfalls and so many things to do on the Hawaian Islands, it's just unbelievable. It's just different than Baja. Every place in the world I have visited has rewarded me with a variety of rewarding experiences. visiting Honolulu, Kawaii, Maui and the Big Island over the years. The world is there for us, not just Baja. Get out there and see as much as you can while you are able. I love travel and will do it till my dying day!

(and, I really do not understand your reference to the Japanese people)

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Barbarosa
Nomad

Mood: "On th' road again..."

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

I love Baja. And, I also beg to differ on your opinion about 'closed quarters'... there is so much open space, vast land and mountains, waterfalls and so many things to do on the Hawaian Islands, it's just unbelievable. It's just different than Baja. Every place in the world I have visited has rewarded me with a variety of rewarding experiences. visiting Honolulu, Kawaii, Maui and the Big Island over the years. The world is there for us, not just Baja. Get out there and see as much as you can while you are able. I love travel and will do it till my dying day!

Spoken like a tourist, I fear. (I, too, am but a tourist there. OK by me.) An island, in the end, is still just an island.

I completely agree with you about "*VISITING* "Honolulu, Kawaii, Maui, and the Big Island over the years." The operative word is visiting.

Now, circumscribe an area around you, right where you are, and consider if you had only *that* to explore -- except when you took a MAJOR trip. It proves to be very limiting for most folks.

Barbarosa
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.