Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Bad news checkpoint south of EL Rosario
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2004 at 09:59 AM
Living in Baja

and traveling the peninsula somewhat regularly, I have an entirely different perspective.
Most of the soldiers at those checkpoints know both my dogs names. The one exception is the one south of El Rosario as that one changes fairly regularly.
But, my dogs generally stay in the van. The soldiers ask if they bite, I tell them "just pendejos", and they climb in if they feel like searching. Hardly ever though, as they've seen it all before and know both my vehicles and what I do.
What the people, and soldiers are most amazed about is that my dogs and I understand each other and communicate.
I have signals and words that they know to pay attention to. And they do!
This is unusual for most of the locals because it is true, they treat their animals a lot differently than we gringos. And Canadians to eh Frizkie;)
Because I have spent a lot of time in certain areas down in the mountains, there is beginning to be a lot of interest in this loco gringo who "talks" to his dogs
and how this could possibly happen.
Well, if the Mexican dogs are smart like the kids , I expect that in two or three more trips, el Fido will be bringing me beers instead of being kicked across the room.:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-6-2004 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Dave-

My friend, owner of Cocina Pacifica, lives in Baja and was travelling north. That, and I really doubt that a certificate would have helped. The soldiers were pretty insistent that when a dog bites someone that the dog is killed on the spot.

Wouldn't it be great to have a soldier as a Nomad? We could get so much information first hand. Okay DK, that's your new assignment.

Zac

Ah, it was Jim's dog! Well, finding a soldier Nomad will be tough. Perhaps JR will be better since he is on a first name basis with so many of them! At least our Nomad 'BajaCactus' knows the comandante at San Quintin, and that is great on its own.

Great photo JR... is that your dog or you after a night of tequila!? :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 11-6-2004 at 11:27 AM
Good work, Baja Cactus!

Sure hope Antonio is in El Rosario on the 18th when our caravan passes thru. I want to shake his hand and thank him for the efforts he makes to promote tourism and safety!!!

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-6-2004 at 11:52 AM
I seriously doubt that

any of the ones I know, are into computers. At least, I haven't noticed any at the revisions! Let alone speaking English on a gringo message board.:lol:

But, I bet Antonio could talk to the comandante and get him to sign up if he's bilingual.

That would be a kick!:light:

Getting them unstuck definitely has it's advantages though ! See story of "F Troop" at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum

[Edited on 11/6/2004 by jrbaja]
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-6-2004 at 12:03 PM

Antonio and his dad... BajaCactus

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-6-2004 at 01:16 PM

Thanks Bajacactus for all the help!!!
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

biggrin.gif posted on 11-7-2004 at 01:10 AM
I Finally Found My Dog's Father!

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
What the people, and soldiers are most amazed about is that my dogs and I understand each other and communicate.
I have signals and words that they know to pay attention to. And they do!

A couple of folks driving down the penninsula found a half-starved puppy near El Rosario last January. They were nowhere near any homes or water, so they brought him south to Todos Santos. They were looking for a home for him, and even though we weren't looking for a dog, my Wife and I couldn't resist taking him in.

That was last January, and when I weighed him in the middle of the month, he weighed about 5 lbs. It's been 10 months now, and as you can see, he hasn't missed too many meals!

I've been wondering where he came from, and I can't help asking. JR: Your dog have more than turkey last Thanksgiving?
In El Rosario much? See any family resemblance??? :yes:

Hasta luego... Cameron
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-7-2004 at 07:34 AM
A doggy pyramid

How'd you teach them to do that ? Mine listen but as far as tricks go, ain't happening.
And yup, El Rosario pretty often but both mine are done with their carousing days.
Really cute picture!! Thanks.
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

[*] posted on 11-7-2004 at 05:09 PM
About 80 lbs. in 10 Months!

I must be feeding him too much... :)

That's called the "stitch" effect in my photo software: Makes a great "before and after" shot...

Guess I'll just have to keep wondering about his lineage. When I look around BCS, sometimes it seems like there's only one or two REAL busy males running around keeping the young ladies happy!

Hasta luego JR... Cameron
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

smile.gif posted on 11-10-2004 at 03:20 PM
Thank you...

BajaBoy, Baja&back, Mexitron, thanks for your nice words... I believe we all must stick together.... after all... we are all Baja lovers....right.

Baja&back... I would like to meet you also... not sure if I will be in El Rosario for that date... but I will try.

Jide.... I am heading to El Rosario tomorrow thursday 11th.... I was hoping to get the model of your camera by then.... anyway, I will give a printout of the info you posted to Lituenant Coronel Carlos... we will see what they can do with that.

Be back on saturday... bye!!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.