Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Moving to TJ
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2014 at 08:03 PM

Just tell the truth. It isn't a scary truth. "I live in Tijuana, but the Mexican postal service is so horrible that I keep a private mailbox in a store in San Diego for correspondence. That way I don't miss bills—or notices from Homeland Security regarding my SENTRI." :)
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 8-22-2014 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jcbrub
And how did the appointment go regarding changing your residence address? What was your situation, no issues?

No it did not go well, there was a huge issue. A few months ago I established residency in South Dakota. I researched it and I am 100% legal. I went to the appointment with SENTRI to change my address to my new residential address in South Dakota. I was told I could not claim S. Dakota as my residence because I drive on CA roads. The officer is either an idiot or has no need to follow policy or law. He told me I would be revoked in 30 days unless I register my car in CA or MX. SENTRI is the Gestapo and does not care about your rights or an individuals situation.

I wrote a post about it a couple months ago and I am currently communicating with my US Senator from S. Dakota who is inquiring with the CBP as to why they don't accept SD as a legal residency. CBP is dragging their feet and tried to send the Senator a form letter saying nothing other than I am approved for SENTRI. I objected and the Senator is digging further.

So yes I had a problem and I see it as the SENTRI office allows their officers to make up their own rules and treat people as they feel. I don't look for trouble but I don't allow my constitutional rights to be abused. So I will speak up when someone is abusing me. I am confident I will be allowed to change the address but you can see how SENTRI does what they want without controls. Gestapo. Fall of the Roman empire. Police state. It's in the news.
Jcbrub

[*] posted on 8-22-2014 at 10:03 AM

Wow, that really sucks, I hope it all works out for you!!

I was just curious if I change my address to a PMB if they will recognize that and have a problem. Or if I change it to my TJ address if they will also have any issue with me moving there. onviously it is legal, but just in terms of questioning me a lot of getting secondary inspection often due to it.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 8-22-2014 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Wow, that really sucks, I hope it all works out for you!!

I was just curious if I change my address to a PMB if they will recognize that and have a problem. Or if I change it to my TJ address if they will also have any issue with me moving there. onviously it is legal, but just in terms of questioning me a lot of getting secondary inspection often due to it.

My problem will work itself out. I don't know the answer to your situation but I will advise you to try to try to do what's honest. As I said, if they catch a lie it's over. There is a way to access the SENTRI policy online but I don't know how. If you can see if it's legal to list a pmb as your residence, go for it. If that not legal, don't do it.

I would think if you list the pmb as your home, when you go to the interview the officer will ask if this is where you live. If you say yes and he uncovers that it is a pmb by your statement or other means, you will be revoked. It's important.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2014 at 12:13 PM

The newest address databases know whether an address is residential or commercial. The SENTRI application asks for both where you reside and where you receive mail, if different. If the inputs are checked against a database that differentiates between commercial and residential addresses, you will be caught lying if you give a commercial address for your residential address. The addresses used by businesses that provide private mailboxes are commercial addresses.

Jcbrub, if I were you I would not notify SENTRI of your address change for a while. What's the rush? The only way they will know is if you tell them. If, after a couple of months you decide Tijuana is for you, then change your residential address and add a PMB in the US for a mailing address.

[Edited on 8-22-2014 by SFandH]
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2014 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Quote:
And how did the appointment go regarding changing your residence address? What was your situation, no issues?

No it did not go well, there was a huge issue. A few months ago I established residency in South Dakota. I researched it and I am 100% legal. I went to the appointment with SENTRI to change my address to my new residential address in South Dakota. I was told I could not claim S. Dakota as my residence because I drive on CA roads. The officer is either an idiot or has no need to follow policy or law. He told me I would be revoked in 30 days unless I register my car in CA or MX. SENTRI is the Gestapo and does not care about your rights or an individuals situation.

I wrote a post about it a couple months ago and I am currently communicating with my US Senator from S. Dakota who is inquiring with the CBP as to why they don't accept SD as a legal residency. CBP is dragging their feet and tried to send the Senator a form letter saying nothing other than I am approved for SENTRI. I objected and the Senator is digging further.

So yes I had a problem and I see it as the SENTRI office allows their officers to make up their own rules and treat people as they feel. I don't look for trouble but I don't allow my constitutional rights to be abused. So I will speak up when someone is abusing me. I am confident I will be allowed to change the address but you can see how SENTRI does what they want without controls. Gestapo. Fall of the Roman empire. Police state. It's in the news.

"I researched it and it is completely legal" but nobody agrees.:lol::lol:

why sentri if you don't live in california?
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2014 at 05:12 PM

I used my TJ address as my home address, and my PMB as my mailing address, and had no problems. I took my lease and rent receipt with me to the interview, but the officer was unable read them, since they were in Spanish.

He was only interested in how much money I made, how much money I had saved up, and how much I paid in rent every month.
skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2014 at 09:25 PM
perfectly legal nothing to hide

We have several friends and neighbors that live in Mexico. One of them has raised their children there, yet commutes across the border daily for work. Tho only problem they ever had was not sharing the change of address. One of their daughters moved to San Diego for a bit of time and did change her address for Sentri but then moved back home (Mexico) and forgot to change address. After a few months she got her Sentri card temporarily taken and they had to got through a major hassle to get it back. Only problem was she didn't change her address back to Mexico. They can tell with no effort when you are crossing every morning. Just be honest. It is perfectly legal. If you buy property in TJ then you need to get residency. Take a look in the morning how many are Mexican Nationals in the line?

Quote:
Ok Everyone, I am considering moving to TJ from San Diego and I have a couple questions.

I currently live in San Diego and work in La Jolla. My girlfriend lives down in tijuana and honestly for the past couple years I spend every Friday evening through monday morning across the border and then one or two evenings during the week. Since I rarely spend time at my own place here in SD, I am looking at moving down there. I already have SENTRI, and like I said cross the border 3-4 times a week, so that's no issue. Being down there so much these are probably things I should already know. However:

-Is it completely legal for a US citizen to live across the border with no FTM/FM3 visa or whatever it is?
-Will I have any issues living as an american in TJ in terms of crossing daily? (hassled by CBP?)
-I plan to get a PO box to have a CA address, is this sufficient?
-Are there any other ramifications I am not considering when planning to move down to TJ?

I didn't want to jump into a decision without considering all legal consequences etc. so i figured here may be a good place to ask!

Any advice/help is appreciated, thanks!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.