Author: Subject: Hurricane Vance - I thought hurricane season was over
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2014 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by unbob
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
A bit more rain this season wouldn't be a bad thing.
Sez who? I'm thinking more rain and standing water means more skeeters and Dengue fever - a very bad thing.
Sez the farmers and ranchers and anyone else who depends on water pumped from the ground. It's been a very dry few years here and any water we get is appreciated.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
dorado50
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2014 at 06:07 PM

looks to be worse the odile......bummer
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-31-2014 at 06:39 PM

it's not worse than odile; it's apparent...but we don't need no more stinking rain....our main guy in mulege has dengue as does much of the town....not good, methinks...he says to stay north as we will....just an INVASION of mosquitos with the rainfall....yeah; rain is good...AND...rain is bad....find the balance...bigtime dengue fever problem in our little town; we will be staying north until the bugs is gone!!!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 09:51 AM

Vance is being squirrelly, can someone bring up the URL picture of this page I've bookmarked? I'm electronically challenged.
LATEST INFO:
http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/eastern-pacific/2014/H...

Please pay attention to 5-day forecast

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

sargentodiaz
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 10:03 AM

DavidK - is the number of cyclones making landfall in Baja some kind of record?

Father Serra\'s Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com a History of California and the Franciscan missions.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 10:27 AM

Latest on Vance

Vance.gif - 31kB

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 10:38 AM

computer models with the promise of more rain:?::?:

[Edited on 11-2-2014 by vandenberg]

ep201421_model.gif - 31kB

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 11:37 AM

Just one degree centigrade increase in temperature of surface water contains a huge amount of energy if anyone chooses to do the math. I'm hoping that those waters cool down and don't release that energy into the atmosphere along Baja and the mainland....it could make for a very wet November....cheers and good fortunes to you.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 12:58 PM

I see the outer bands of Vance are now combing the tip so can we begin the onsite reporting today with any rain reports por favor? gracias...I figured we would be getting a late storm but thought it would be in October...jejeje...perhaps it would be wise to lay in stores and do some storm prep???

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 01:10 PM

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/eastern-pacific/2014/H...

I just took a look at wunderground, and Vance is at the moment a CAT 2, and there's 95 E right on his back door; looks like a one-two punch. If I were on South Cape I'd be hitting Costco before the sun sets today. Check out the satellite photo connection on the link.

Doesn't look threatening to central Baja, but ya never know.... Suerte y'all. :!:

86 - 45*

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 01:15 PM

It's already changed back to going NE. And it appears it is at peak strength right now. Rapid weakening is expected as it is starting to show the effects of wind shear.

Looks like Sinaloa will bear the brunt of the rainfall.

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 10:49 PM

BUMP.

Vance is turning NW again, and 95E is behind.

East Cape folks,

Head's up. Suerte.

Yogi's still right (even though he was just a catcher).

86 - 45*

Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 07:14 AM

Started raining on East Cape about 6am. Winds maybe 15 +/- mph.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 08:11 AM
Vance update from accuweather.com

Vance Weakens Slightly, Still a Danger to Mexico

By Kristina Pydynowski, Senior Meteorologist

November 4, 2014; 8:02 AM ET
More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on linkedin

An overview of the tropics is given in the above AccuWeather.com video.
Hurricane Vance weakened a bit Monday night, but still remains a dangerous storm as it continues on a path toward western Mexico.
Vance intensified to a hurricane Sunday morning as the tropical cyclone passed over the warm waters of the eastern Pacific and in an environment that lacks disruptive wind shear, which can shred apart tropical systems.
The Mexican states of southern Baja California Sur, Sinaloa, Nayarit, Jalisco, Chihuahua, and Durango remain on alert for impacts from Vance through Wednesday.

Rainfall has already begun across Sinaloa, Baja California and Nayarit, but the heaviest rain will move onshore Tuesday night into Wednesday.
Rainfall totals of 100-200 mm (4-8 inches) will occur across Sinaloa, Nayarit and Durango with amounts exceeding 300 mm (12 inches) in the mountains. These are the areas most likely to experience flash flooding and mudslides.
Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta lie within the zone of greatest risk from Vance.

[Edited on 11-4-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 08:37 AM

The Weather Underground analysis of Vance is very different, predicting that it may break apart before reaching land, in the face of significant shear.

-------------

Conventional and microwave satellite data indicate that Vance is
losing organization due to the effects of 35-40 kt of vertical wind
shear. The cloud pattern has become elongated, and the low-levelcenter is near the southern edge of the convection. The initialintensity is lowered to 75 kt based on various satellite intensity estimates, and this could be a bit generous.

The initial motion is 025/11. The GFS, ECMWF, GFDL, and Florida state superensemble models forecast Vance to move generally northeastward and make landfall on the coast of Mexico in 24-36hours. The official forecast does likewise, and the new forecast is similar to that of the previous advisory. It cannot be ruled out that Vance will completely shear apart before landfall, with the low-level center moving slower toward the northeast than currently forecast.

The large-scale models forecast even stronger shear over Vance
during the next 24-36 hours, and this should cause rapid weakening.

The new intensity forecast follows this scenario and is in best
agreement with the SHIPS model. Although Vance could weaken to a depression by the time it makes landfall, given the uncertainties in intensity prediction it remains prudent to have a tropical storm watch for portions of the coast of Mexico.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 10:32 AM

The latest sat and Wundermap imagery shows Vance to be breaking up rapidly.

There's still a lot of moisture associated with it but most of it is headed east.

Light rain and winds <30 kts. is probably all that Baja is going to get. But there ought to be some big rollers heading up the Sea of Cortez by Wed/Thur. I would imagine San Jose del Cabo is getting them right now.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 09:46 PM

This shows the next system again grazing the tip of Baja. But check out the whopper of an extratropical system forming in the Aleutians from the remnants of Typhoon Nuri:

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=npac_height

[Edited on 11-5-2014 by Mexitron]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
This shows the next system again grazing the tip of Baja. But check out the whopper of an extratropical system forming in the Aleutians from the remnants of Typhoon Nuri:

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=npac_height

[Edited on 11-5-2014 by Mexitron]

That's a great link!!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 07:03 AM

Here on the Tropic of Cancer, we were all witness to a most providential accident of weather >> just as hurricane Vance was about to break everything again at the cape, a VERY STRONG weather system, a stream of high speed wind and rain, slammed into the storm pushing it south and east and saving us from damage.

We are on that razor thin line between the crushing weather cell from Hawaii and the outer bands of Vance and watched the steering in real time as we checked the animated satellite movement of the collision. Whew! Thanks.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 07:08 AM

Deadliest Catch crews are getting pounded a little early this year!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.