Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buffalo Bill's Irma in Cody, Wyoming
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2015 at 07:19 PM
Buffalo Bill's Irma in Cody, Wyoming

We knew nothing about this place. We were just looking for a place to eat breakfast. The breakfast was very good, but the place is fantastic!

Next time, and we do want to spend more time in Wyoming, we will spend more time checking this place out --- maybe stay there. I want more pictures and more time to admire all of it!

Buffalo Bill had this hotel, restaurant and bar built in 1902 and named it after his daughter Irma. What a beautiful work of art!

http://www.irmahotel.com/

We only saw the dinning area as the bar was not due to open until 11:am and we didn't want to wait. We also peeked in the current lobby; I want to stay in one of the rooms that are upstairs. There have been changes in configuations and some updates made over the years, the workmanship from that era is something to really admire.

We had no idea ---- just saw a sign and were hungry

The host looked and spoke like he was there in the beginning. :-) I really look forward to returning when there are NO Halloween decorations! They were ugly. :-)

She is the original, and ain't she pretty!

Most of the patrons looked like they would have fit in well. And in line with most cafes in farm and ranch areas, most of the breakfast patrons are male.

Well except for that one in a baseball cap. :D

The small details were great like the brass buffalo heads that adorned the edge of every booth.

And a beautiful old radiator in the lobby.

If you are anywhere around Cody Wyoming, do check it out! It is a beautiful historical place!

BTW -- the road to Cody from the north-east entrance to Yellowstone is VERY beautiful.

[Edited on 12-6-2015 by DianaT]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-5-2015 at 09:27 PM

:):)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 12:35 AM

Cody is my mom's birthplace. Her dad hunted with Buffalo Bill, photo is in the museum... I haven't been yet. Thanks for the photos!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 12:39 AM

Spectacular. :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 07:23 AM

My memories of Cody are the incredible museum and the drive up to Yellowstone.

Oh yeah, and the fact that its Walmart has, without a doubt, the largest number of transient RVers camping out in its lot that I have ever seen. :lol:
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 08:36 AM

The Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum is a must not miss place to visit when in the area. It is worth making at least a half of the day in your schedule. And you will wish you had more time. The collection of great western paintings alone makes this a world class venue. I could stare at Paxson's painting Custer's Last Stand for an hour. Add to that the great historical collection regarding Cody's time and a whole big section on American Indian stuff.
Seriously, this is worth a day out of your travel itinerary to stop and enjoy.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 09:00 AM

Cody is a great town..I have been to the Museum 6-7 times, almost all day each time...always something new! The Irma? Put on a big hat and enjoy it, easy to go back to a better time there...Excellent FRENCH restaurant in town as well, disremember the name..VERY expensive and worth it...Thanks for the post

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 09:22 AM

excellent Diane, Thank you.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 10:37 AM

Thanks everyone. We have been to Cody a couple of times before and visited that WONDERFUL museum and will probably do so again in the future. But we missed seeing the Irma before. And it had been one of our hotel nights so we just needed breakfast or we might have missed it again.

This time we were just passing through with other places in mind; well, the other places are always a bit nebulous as we are seldom sure of where we are going. :-)

Anyone who has not been there, do visit Irma's and the museum!

[Edited on 12-6-2015 by DianaT]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 10:39 AM

"seldom sure of where we are going. :-) "

That is the best part ... outstanding

Can't tell ya how much I enjoy "you guys" traveling .. thanks for the ride along ... again :):)

WOOF !!

[Edited on 12-6-2015 by wessongroup]
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 11:15 AM

Again, super shots.
Thks
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 11:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum is a must not miss place to visit when in the area. It is worth making at least a half of the day in your schedule. And you will wish you had more time. The collection of great western paintings alone makes this a world class venue. I could stare at Paxson's painting Custer's Last Stand for an hour. Add to that the great historical collection regarding Cody's time and a whole big section on American Indian stuff.
Seriously, this is worth a day out of your travel itinerary to stop and enjoy.

There's also a Buffalo Bill Museum at his grave site on Lookout Mountain overlooking the town of Golden Colorado.

[Edited on 12-6-2015 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 01:13 PM

Been to a lot of places in Colorado--- now I guess we need to visit Golden. Thanks.

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 01:58 PM

The Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum is a must not miss place to visit when in the area. .................Seriously, this is worth a day out of your travel itinerary to stop and enjoy.

...unless you were cheering for the injuns :no::(

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum is a must not miss place to visit when in the area. .................Seriously, this is worth a day out of your travel itinerary to stop and enjoy.

...unless you were cheering for the injuns :no::(

Or the Buffalo...Nothing wrong with visiting with an open mind though.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 03:11 PM

Diane,

Thanks for posting. We enjoyed our stay in Cody too. Irma's, the museum and Sierra Trading Post too.

Ken

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.