[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Do so.....

I have, and I do.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cocomo  
I stayed at Baja Cactus the first time last year and I had always heard good things. My room was clean but simple and I was happy to be so close to the freeway for an early start the next morning. I didn't hear jake brakes so much but my neighbors kept going into their car at all hours and I kept hearing the chirp of the automatic car locks. You can't get rid of rude neighbors.
After I got into car trouble an hour south the next day and got towed back to El Rosario, I needed help. I got caught up with a bandito mechanic but I had no choice, I had to leave my car there. When I got home to Mulege, I needed to have someone tow the car back to San Ysidro and sought Nomad help to do so. Someone on Nomad alerted Antonio from Baja Cactus and he not only towed it back north for me, he did it willingly and for his gas cost. When my friend went to pick up the car in the States, Antonio wouldn't accept payment for his time and effort. My friend really tried to get him to take some sort of consideration and after much effort, Antonio finally took a donation for his cause...the Bomberos in El Rosario.

BOTTOM LINE:
I prefer to spend my money and time with people who care. Antonio did me a really big favor and he is a good man. I would spend my money with him ANY DAY OF THE WEEK and I would highly recommend that anyone who wants or needs a hotel will consider the Baja Cactus in their travels. These are the people who make Baja adventuring great! You may need a tow one day, you may need the Bomberos one day. Aren't you glad there are groups founded by guys like Antonio? Aren't you glad they're funded so they have resources to help people who need their services? Have you considered what they do for the Baja 1000 that passes through and the car fires that are inevitable? Aren't you willing to spend your money with people who CARE about their communities and travelers? I personally don't care if the hotel down the street has a pool and free car washes, I'm spending my money where it goes back into the community and if you want people who care and help others to succeed, put your money there.

Yes. Antonio does good stuff. So does Rafa Rodriguez, from the Los Pino Family, so do they people (los Pinos) at Ranch Grande.. So Does Ron (Baja Gringo) in San Quintin. so do many others. Baja is a large place with lots of helping people lest we forget it because someone posts on Nomad.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 08:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Yes. Antonio does good stuff. So does Rafa Rodriguez, from the Los Pino Family, so do they people (los Pinos) at Ranch Grande.. So Does Ron (Baja Gringo) in San Quintin. so do many others. Baja is a large place with lots of helping people lest we forget it because someone posts on Nomad.

Look, lot's of great people in Mexico... this is about supporting a businessman who goes way out of the way to HELP BAJA NOMADS (as much as others in need).

Ron is wonderful but does he own a motel or Pemex?

Rodriguez owns Rancho Grande at Gonzaga, and two former Desert Inns, and a Pemex, and many do business at those places... Rancho Grande, it's a great store at Gonzaga, far off the main stream.. well now on pavement.
He has lot's of income streams, not the least of which are all the tomatoes we eat from his farms.

Does Mr. Rodriguez take time out of his business to help Nomads get their car fixed, or towed to the border, 225 miles away, or have an ambulance with a pay if you can policy?

Baja Cactus (Antonio) does, so let's all reward that kind of support and service with our business, as much as possible.

I also commend and support through business and recommendations other Baja businesses who provide "extra" levels of service to help reward them and help them get as much business as possible to continue to offer great service so all Baja travelers will have positive memories of Baja.

My praises of Baja people are not limited to Antonio, he is just one of the best Nomads we have, living in Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2016 at 11:35 AM

I always stay at the Cactus and always eat at Mama Espinosa's and always fill up at the Pemex when I drive from Orange County California on my way to La Paz. It is the perfect place to stop for the first night on the trip south. Always get there between 5pm to 6:30pm.

Over the recent years, I've read here in this forum of good and bad stuff about the Cactus motel. Generally, in these matters, the bad stuff is usually closer to the reality than the good stuff.

FWIW, my random experience has always been a good one at the Cactus and at Mama Espinosa's. Personally, I like the rooms (clean), the level of security there, the convenience of proximity to Pemex and to Mama Espinosa's, and I have always liked the food at that restaurant. The good news for a cheap guy like me is the prices are very good at the motel and the restaurant...win win.

Don't really know if I have just been lucky or not. I remain skeptical...there's been a lot of negative things written. I tend to pay closer attention to that than the positive stuff written, but like with people, I trust my actual experience over hear say until I encounter otherwise.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-14-2016 at 09:47 PM

I like the motel but I'm usually not in ER in the evening, I appreciate Antonio's ambulance service and have supported it. The year+ bathroom remodel cost the Pemex my business forever.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Can't be hijacking a thread that got lost somewhere down the line so;
Maybe a "Baja local 'do-gooder'" thread would be appropriate?

DK,,,My van abruptly quit at Rancho Grande and after a local, Gabby, deduced the problem I walked out to the road to catch a long ride back to San Felipe for the part. I stopped in at the store to grab some water and while paying I started up a conversation with the man sitting at the counter. He picked up his sat phone which I thought was sort of rude as I was in the middle of a sentence and after hanging up informed me that my part would be there in the morning, come back.
He had called a fish camp up the road where the gentleman who delivered the days catch to San Felipe would acquire my part and bring it with him when he returns with a truck full of ice to preserve the next days catch.
The next day went by and late in the evening the man from the store pulled up on his quad at our campsite and delivered the part only accepting the small amount the part cost. He would not accept anything for his or the deliverers service.
I know this man was the one who lived at the store with his wife and child and seem to own/or run the facilities...I don't know if this is the man you mentioned but it was a service that was given much in the sense that you questioned. Just sayin'....

Thank you and very good to hear. I also support the Rancho Grande store at Gonzaga. The man who helped you would be someone who works for Señor Rodriguez (a multi-millionaire, I would think). Supporting Rancho Grande does not take away anything from Baja Cactus.

In given a choice of supporting Baja Cactus (motel or Pemex) vs. Los Pinos (Pemex) or Hotel Misión Santa María (San Quintin south); I am suggesting to support Baja Cactus BASED on the help Antonio (BajaCactus) provides that is unparalleled by Sr. Rodriguez, who will not suffer without Nomad business.

Thank you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 10:03 AM

Greetings from blazing Oro Valley:

The Baja Cactus place in El Rosario must be a palace and we all should be grateful for its existence. Look forward to staying there

About 35 years ago, we stayed in the then new casitas at Rancho Santa Inez. Fred Hampe and pioneer Josefina Zuñiga were the proprietors for a long time. We had no electricity, heat or running water and were so grateful for the hospitality. My young daughter made friends with a daddy lon-legs spider..... We paid $50 per night and we had the bonus of a fantastic night sky for star gazing...

Steve in Oro Valley

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 12:24 PM

Have times changed, I stayed at R. Santa Inez 10 years ago and paid $25 and had the place to myself in the evenings.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2016 at 04:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Steve in Oro Valley  
Greetings from blazing Oro Valley:

The Baja Cactus place in El Rosario must be a palace and we all should be grateful for its existence. Look forward to staying there

About 35 years ago, we stayed in the then new casitas at Rancho Santa Inez. Fred Hampe and pioneer Josefina Zuñiga were the proprietors for a long time. We had no electricity, heat or running water and were so grateful for the hospitality. My young daughter made friends with a daddy lon-legs spider..... We paid $50 per night and we had the bonus of a fantastic night sky for star gazing...

Steve in Oro Valley

My son and I did the same about 12 years ago. The price was $35. We sat on he porch after dusk because it was pitch black in our room. It was a efferent experience and a fond memory but I wouldn't want to repeat it very often.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.