BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali East Crossing (Tourist Card on Sundays)
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 01:10 PM
Mexicali East Crossing (Tourist Card on Sundays)

Hey all. Haven't crossed here since '09. Back then, if I recall, getting a tourist visa was limited to certain hours and not available on Sundays. Anyway, does anyone have current info on getting a tourist visa on Sundays at Mexicali East? Thanks!

You gonna eat that?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 03:04 PM

I can not speak about Mexicali East, but I crossed south at Mexicali west on Sunday, Nov 20 this season. It was at mid day, and I expected a delay, but the whole process took only about 15 minutes!

I used the far left lane, and was able to park right by the door of the INM office.

The agent at the desk filled out the form for me, and I paid right there (in pesos).

[Edited on 2-21-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 03:20 PM

I only did Mexicali West, by accident, a couple of years ago (heading north). They did not want RVs going that route (we're a truck and camper, but we're huuuuge). Not sure if it's the same crossing into Baja. It really sucked heading north (our rig barely squeezed through).

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 04:29 PM

Google shows East is open 7 days a week from 6AM to Midnight. Not sure I trust Google for that info, but that's about all I could find. I dunno, might try the downtown crossing as I'd like to be well beyond Mexicali by 6AM.

You gonna eat that?
dobromike

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 07:54 AM

Mexicali East is open 7 days a week, 6am -10pm. I crossed on Sunday, but my tourist card was pre-paid, so didn't need the bank. Great time to cross. I was told that the Bank is open whenever the Immigration Office is open, but that info is second hand.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 08:03 AM

Thank you!! Unless someone here chimes up that going through the old crossing (never tried going south) is not a good idea (stupid huge truck and stupider large camper), we may try that as I want to get out of Mexicali about the time the sun rises. Hate driving in Mexicali.

You gonna eat that?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 08:20 AM

Parking can be difficult on the Mexicali East crossing for getting your FMM if you are in a large vehicle. There have been threads on this before with maps, etc. Try doing a search on Nomads. I do remember there is a small turnout big enough for 2-3 vehicles south of the buildings near the X-ray machine...the main parking lot is difficult to access if in a big vehicle.

Found it...check this thread out:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81369#pid1013...

[Edited on 2-22-2017 by Pacifico]

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 09:09 AM

Thanks. I've done East with no problems, although there was some walking involved. They just aren't open early enough for me so considering West (old/Downtown).

You gonna eat that?
dobromike

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 09:57 AM

East is the only crossing I will use, Ever! I also hate driving in Mexicali, but on Sunday morning early, it is a piece of cake. As far as parking, They always let me park in the Red Zone long enough to run into immigration office. Never have encountered a line at the East Crossing going South. But. don't hold it over my head if you encounter problems. Haha
dobromike

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 10:04 AM

In Addition to my last statement, I also Always cross early Sunday morning
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 10:14 AM

Thanks! Yea, I'm one of those guys that likes to hit the road at 4:30AM when in Baja. My truck turns night into day, and I really like knocking out a few miles in the pre-drawn. Dare I say it's almost therapeutic? I even think my wife almost enjoys being at the ready to switch off the PIAAs should we meet a vehicle on the road.

You gonna eat that?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.