Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Chevron gas stations in Mexico, a CC question
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
But, remember, the "real price" usually includes taxes often imposed by an intolerant government bent on controlling the free movement of a free people... Think California, where the price is artificially over a dollar a gallon more than other states, including those who don't even have petroleum wells.

True that.
But you of all people should know what a privilege it is to live in Cali.
Why else would anyone spend the ridiculous amount of money it costs to live there...
Right?

Right you are.. but this is my birth state, it is where my family and all four of my grandkids live, and it is where I still operate my irrigation business (when it isn't raining). Plus, my wonderful Baja Angel has a career here and we just bought a home last year. So, we are trapped in a place that was once the best in America for living, schools, etc. to one of the worst.

It's still the best. One has to know how to make their "own" CA. But that takes some knowhow...;)

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 5-26-2019 at 08:10 AM

Give California a break. Where else in the US will you ever find a year-round comfortable climate near the ocean, mountains, deserts, Baja, and tons of pretty girls in bikinis? So much crap about gas prices. Anyone who can afford multiple cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, homes, travel to Baja, etc., etc., and has problems paying the cost differential from the gas tax? Seriously? Do you think for a moment that if the gas tax was repealed that the oil companies would reduce the price per gallon the equivalent amount? Yeah, right. Prices in California are higher for most things because of demand. People demand to live in this beautiful state. And they will pay more for housing and gasoline to do it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-26-2019 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
But, remember, the "real price" usually includes taxes often imposed by an intolerant government bent on controlling the free movement of a free people... Think California, where the price is artificially over a dollar a gallon more than other states, including those who don't even have petroleum wells.

True that.
But you of all people should know what a privilege it is to live in Cali.
Why else would anyone spend the ridiculous amount of money it costs to live there...
Right?

Right you are.. but this is my birth state, it is where my family and all four of my grandkids live, and it is where I still operate my irrigation business (when it isn't raining). Plus, my wonderful Baja Angel has a career here and we just bought a home last year. So, we are trapped in a place that was once the best in America for living, schools, etc. to one of the worst.

Worst? Quit whining, you wanker!

You need more money? Then Work harder, get a new job!

But if you choose to stay here, then shut up and quit complaining!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-26-2019 at 08:46 AM
OH, WOE is THEE !

It's always a hoot listening to (and reading) this "we be oppressed" drivel from those who ALL "claim" to be highly-successful and financially-comfortable.

Even more hypocritical would be those who say that they are "TRAPPED" in California by their accumulated (and ongoing) wealth.

Poor Babies !

Give it a BREAK.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 10:25 AM

I have never and will never use a credit card in Mexico.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 11:50 AM

Oh that's right, this thread is about using a credit card at a gas station.

I have been using my CC to buy gas (and other stuff) the length of the peninsula and never had an issue. Carrying wads of cash down Baja is a safer option?

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
I have never and will never use a credit card in Mexico.

I use mine all the time, and always seem to get a much better exchange rate when I see the total in US dollars on my statement.

John
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 01:11 PM

Even my dentist in La Paz likes running my credit card, rather than dealing with trips to the bank with either pesos or dollars. I will sometimes use one at a gas station, or hotel, but only where I can enter the card myself!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
It's always a hoot listening to (and reading) this "we be oppressed" drivel from those who ALL "claim" to be highly-successful and financially-comfortable.

I particularly enjoyed the part about having "multiple cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, homes". But then, it's hard to tell who is who on the internet.

CC exchange rates are good, better than any bank retail rate. The only problem is foreign transaction surcharge but this has been eliminated in several CCs (much fewer in Canada, unfortunately).

Alternatively, opening Mex bank account, moving cash from the US via services like OFX and using no-fee ATM with "your" bank logo is probably same good. You don't have to carry tons of cash when you live there. Tourists/travelers are a different situation.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.