Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: seven sisters
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 07:44 PM

no need for hand drawn tracks on Google Earth for the 7 Sisters - it is all on E32
and on Gaia you have more sat images and maps that you have time to review

by now everything is right in your pocket

7sisters.jpg - 333kB

Harald Pietschmann
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-23-2021 at 07:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
no need for hand drawn tracks on Google Earth for the 7 Sisters - it is all on E32

Exactly - the technology keeps advancing but the die hard surfers seem unwilling to concede that, although many of them have used and benefited from that same technology at some point around that area.

In the end, it's the surfers themselves responsible for any eco-damage caused to the area and they need to figure out a way to start self-policing before some landowners there start signing deals with private eco-associations paying them annual sums of money to let the land be managed under federal protected status.

Such protected status wouldn't completely close off the region but it would likely require fees to enter along with some limitations on their access to sensitive areas. They would also see some restrictions placed on a lot of their behavior while on the reserve with a ranger looking over their shoulder, watching everything they do.

Not exactly the experience that surfers have enjoyed there for decades and many of the landowners along that area of the coastline are being tempted with such deals as we speak...

[Edited on 6-23-2021 by BajaGringo]

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2021 at 07:07 AM

Hopefully the new kids on the block are creating memories too.

Camped there many times when the kids were teenagers. They are out on their own now, have been for quite some time. This thread brought back some memories we created there in that place.

339504_3287451788028_308245542_o.jpg - 235kB

As we traveled there on school breaks we did not always catch waves, but we always caught the magic of family together enjoying a special place.

IMG_1703.JPG - 58kB

IMG_1411.JPG - 96kB

10398588_1121799288069_6778007_n.jpg - 42kB

341323_3287463108311_1224971268_o.jpg - 330kB

IMG_1287.JPG - 84kB

IMG_0513.JPG - 84kB

IMG_1568.JPG - 181kB

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-23-2021 at 07:10 AM

Great memories right there, Jorge!

I am thankful that I knew Baja when it was a 'Land with Hardly Any Fences'!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

kylet

[*] posted on 10-31-2021 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Yes, but if someone thought they were prepared because they had a gps map and ended up taking the more easterly route of those two pink northbound routes you show here, they would likely find themselves less than prepared in a spot or three. There's nothing quite like expectation and reality colliding in the middle of the desert!
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 11-2-2021 at 08:24 AM

The 72-73 El Niño taught me four wheel drive is not capable of what I thought it was and the 82-83 El Niño reminded me again.

Garrison Keillor once said “The only thing 4 wheel drive is good for is getting you stuck farther from the main flow of traffic,”

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2021 at 09:42 AM

The main thing that causes people to get stuck in a 4x4 is that they did not LOWER the tire pressure. That one simple thing does more than having four-wheel-drive to get you unstuck or through and area without getting stuck. 10 psi is no joke, but I like to try 15 psi first (and that has always worked in my newest Tacoma with the tire I use).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-2-2021 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The main thing that causes people to get stuck in a 4x4 is that they did not LOWER the tire pressure. That one simple thing does more than having four-wheel-drive to get you unstuck or through and area without getting stuck. 10 psi is no joke, but I like to try 15 psi first (and that has always worked in my newest Tacoma with the tire I use).

Re air pressure values, every tire is different. LT vs P, high vs low profile.
You got high profile P tires, so they flatten out with little pressure decrease.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2021 at 11:28 AM

I think that is obvious... if you are such a newbie to four wheeling, learn what works for you before you get too far away from others who can help you.

I think it is pretty safe to say 3-ply sidewalls like BFG All Terrain TAs and Cooper Discoverer STTs, etc. need to go down to 10 psi. This what I have discovered and what 4x4abc told me he runs his at.

My current tire brand is Hankook Dynapro ATM and it floats so well in sand, 18 psi works the same as 10 psi on the ones I named above. Toyo Open Country AT, BFG Rugged Trail, Cooper Discoverer ATR, and Destiny Dakota AT all did good at 15 psi.

I have run that many tire brands in Baja, on Shell Island, so I have a good idea about what pressure works.

Heavy-duty truck tires may be different, but if you ask Art (edm1), when he followed my instructions, he got his dually-tired motorhome unstuck and drove easily about.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.