BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: TIP info for Trailers, motorhomes and cars.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  

Then I suppose the 16 people who had their RV“s confiscated are all just “disinformation“.

I will admit that I despise people driving around with no plates from here as I find them as scammers, as do the local Mexicans. It is cheating the system that in there country would never tolerate.

The purpose of the initial post was solely to inform what apparently is happening...nothing more.

Sure is easy here to see who is a MAGAot and who is normal however.

Give me a break. I see lots of Mexicans driving US plated cars in Baja and Sonora. They just don't take them out on the highway.

And you being happy about someone losing their property is disturbing. The political attack at the end was a nice touch.

[Edited on 5-18-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 03:00 PM

Where did he say he was happy about someone losing their property? Saying he dislikes people cheating the system doesn't imply any such thing, you just made that up, like you made up that I never come to Baja.

And what Mexicans do in their own country is a different issue than foreigners breaking the law here.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 03:57 PM

I said you don't go to Baja. Not that you haven't sometime in the distant past been to Baja.

When exactly was the last time you were in Baja? Where did you go and what did you do? I've never seen you post a Baja story, or a sunset picture, or even a restaurant recommendation.

Best I can tell you are only here for the sh#t talking and scolding us all for having fun. I'd love to hear you explain your love for Baja.

[Edited on 5-17-2023 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 05:40 PM

Just can't help continuing to act like an idjit, I see. You know nothing about where and when I travel, yet feel entitled to make ridiculous speculations about "sometime in the distant past".

Restaurant reviews and sunset photos? Sunset photos are boring- everyone knows what sunsets look like. I don't go to Baja as a tourist, eating out at restaurants and staying in hotels and tearing through the desert on exhaust-spewing boys' toys- my daughter and her family live there. I go on a regular basis to visit them.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Best I can tell you are only here for the sh#t talking and scolding us all

Jizzy, sounds just like you!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 07:39 PM

in case you have not read it yet
https://www.discoverbaja.com/2023/03/02/update-for-temporary...

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 08:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Fantastic info Harald. Thank you for sharing.

The states of Baja California & Baja California Sur are still free zones and do not require a temporary importation permit (TIP) for a vehicle as long as you have your FMM and are driving down and coming back with your vehicle (even if it’s an RV).

Mexico customs wants to verify that all vehicles are legal in the country. Here are the current TIP rules for vehicles and RVs being stored in Baja California:

-If you plan to leave a motorhome, RV, or 5th wheel in storage in Baja, a TIP is now required. You can obtain a 10-year TIP and will be legal in storage as long as you have current registration and license plates (even if the owner is out of the country). You should leave the current registration with the storage manager/owner so they can act on your behalf if needed.

-Golf carts being brought into Baja need to have a TIP. This must be done through a customs broker.

-Cars and motorcycles being left in storage in Baja do NOT need a TIP as long as registration and license plates are current.

-If you have a home in México and leave your vehicles there, you do not need a TIP as long as the vehicle is not on the street and always has current license plates and registration.

-If you already have a “precautionary seize” or warning, you have 10 working days to show proof that the vehicle has a TIP. If not, you can designate the storage owner or other person to obtain the TIP on your behalf. The owner/manager of the storage can get their TIPs issued directly at the customs agency since they are the legal representative. They can start the process with copies of documents, but once their permit is going to be issued, they do need original documents. If you have your vehicle in precautionary seize, you can not do your TIP online since there is already a case open on your vehicle.

-If you leave your vehicle at a marina or airport and travel within Mexican territory by boat or plane, you do NOT need to get a TIP (as long as the vehicle has current registration and license plates).

-Each person may only have one TIP issued in the same category. So you can have a TIP for your RV and another TIP for your car, but may not have two TIPs for two cars.

TIPs can be obtained at the border or in Pichilingue in La Paz.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 10:06 PM

Note there is no source, date, author for this article. There is no evidence that this is a valid government legal position, as well, if you read the article it is ambiguous, confusing, inconsistent.

There are no confiscations of parked vehicles currently, in fact there is an Amparo against confiscations due to lack of justifications for fees and process, police confiscations lots are entirely empty currently, and there are no clear requirements for TIP in Baja for vehicles.
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 06:57 AM

I'm a PR in Mexico and a U.S. citizen. I have a home in both countries. Have been driving my Oregon plated car back and forth for 23 years, same car. So what now, I'm supposed to change cars at the border to enter either country?

BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 08:47 AM

Mexico isn't a jail cell. We enjoy going back and forth at our own pace to do whatever and whenever we want. See family, friends etc.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BigOly  
I'm a PR in Mexico and a U.S. citizen. I have a home in both countries. Have been driving my Oregon plated car back and forth for 23 years, same car. So what now, I'm supposed to change cars at the border to enter either country?

I understand the inconvenience, but this evokes an interesting philosophical question which I've often puzzled over: Are those folks who spend only part of the year in Mexico, really legitimate "permanent residents"?

Define ''part of the year?'' At the time I got my PR, INA had a specific number of months they wanted out of 2 consecutive years. Forget what the number is. Full time residency wasn't required.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 10:12 AM

Mexico isn't a jail cell. We enjoy going back and forth at our own pace to do whatever and whenever we want. See family, friends etc.

now that is the right attitude!
The one Americans are loved for.
we do whatever we want!

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 10:18 AM

please note that there are different laws for Mexico and both Bajas.
In Baja you can drive your US plated car without restrictions.
In mainland Mexico you can not (TIP required)

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

I understand the inconvenience, but this evokes an interesting philosophical question which I've often puzzled over: Are those folks who spend only part of the year in Mexico, really legitimate "permanent residents"?

interesting point
I remember a minimum time requirement for PR holders to be in the country
if you are just an occasional visitor, INM might revoke your PR
someone with more knowledge should clarify that for us

Harald Pietschmann
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 10:27 AM

There are 10s of thousands of people in exactly your same circumstances. They don't "change cars at the border", they fly back and forth and have a vehicle at each home.
Mexico isn't a prison cell, neither is it a place you have a right to be without abiding by the laws. And the laws are not made with your personal convenience in mind.

[Edited on 5-18-2023 by surabi]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 10:34 AM

There is no legal minimum time requirement to stay in Mexico. There is only a requirement to have spent a certain amount of time over the previous 5 years, I think, if you want to apply for citizenship. I don't know how many days that is, but asI recall, it amounts to more time in Mexico than out.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

There is no legal minimum time requirement to stay in Mexico. There is only a requirement to have spent a certain amount of time over the previous 5 years, I think, if you want to apply for citizenship. I don't know how many days that is, but asI recall, it amounts to more time in Mexico than out.

that's why I was asking for someone with knowledge

Harald Pietschmann
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
I don't mind importing my car. I'm PR but my wife is Temp. but will have PR status next year. If we drive to the border now where do we go to import the old car? I'm in Los barriles.

In La Paz at the municipal building on Colima.

Thanks for being proactive in paying a fraction of what it is in the USA to help provide better roads....or better food for the Govt. officials.

At least you can drive around and not get looked at by medium to upperclass locals as a “P-nche gringo“, nor worry about your vehicle getting confiscated at some random stop.

Is there a specific place/office/counter to go to? Just trying to narrow it down for someone without good command of the Spanish language. What about facilitator? Do you know anyone that could help someone navigate the process? Thank you.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

that's why I was asking for someone with knowledge

The question of whether there is a minimum stay requirement for permanentes has been asked and answered numerous times over the years on various Mexico forums. There are no requirements.

I just don't know the exact requirements if you want to apply for citizenship.

Of course, if immigration records show that a permanent resident has not spent any time in Mexico in the past 10 years, it's possible that one could be questioned, and have their residency revoked if that's what immigration decides to do.
But it seems that that would be a rare situation- most permanentes either live in Mexico full-time, or go back and forth every year.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.