Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Federal zone violations in Baja Sur
tomieharder
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2023 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
T
On the topic here. There are a number of campos south of San Felipe where the water comes to the base of the cliff and the houses ate built on the edge of the cliff. To my knowledge there has never been a problem.

[Edited on 6-15-2023 by RFClark]

There is a reason for that. The federal zone ends at the inflection point where the land has an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal. Since a cliff has an angle of 90 degrees, the federal zone ends at the base of the cliff.

Isn't it amazing that our resident genius, mtgoat does not know this? All he can do is shout "Global Warming" and call it a day. He's really our resident putz.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-15-2023 at 12:34 PM

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-15-2023 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tomieharder  
Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
T
On the topic here. There are a number of campos south of San Felipe where the water comes to the base of the cliff and the houses ate built on the edge of the cliff. To my knowledge there has never been a problem.

[Edited on 6-15-2023 by RFClark]

There is a reason for that. The federal zone ends at the inflection point where the land has an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal. Since a cliff has an angle of 90 degrees, the federal zone ends at the base of the cliff.

Isn't it amazing that our resident genius, mtgoat does not know this? All he can do is shout "Global Warming" and call it a day. He's really our resident putz.

Fed zone applies to first 20 meters of transitable land. The 30 degree β€˜rule’ is evaluated differently by inspectors, if at all

Woke!

β€œ...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” β€œMy fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

tomieharder
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2023 at 05:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
[

Fed zone applies to first 20 meters of transitable land. The 30 degree β€˜rule’ is evaluated differently by inspectors, if at all

Nope! Stop Googling real estate agent pages and just read the law, Coop.

https://www.gob.mx/profepa/acciones-y-programas/que-es-la-zo...

What is the point of giving out bad information just to try to appear knowledgeable? We all know you know nada.
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2023 at 10:51 AM

to the top.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2023 at 01:24 PM

Last year there was a house at the South Campos that was found to have partially encroached on the exclusion zone. On a bluff. The owners were ordered to remove a concrete wall.

In Mexico the playas belong to the people, though some developers seem to think otherwise.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2023 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Last year there was a house at the South Campos that was found to have partially encroached on the exclusion zone. On a bluff. The owners were ordered to remove a concrete wall.

In Mexico the playas belong to the people, though some developers seem to think otherwise.

If we're talking about the same house (friends of ours) that was the result of August storms that eroded a majority of the beach and their original retaining wall and patio. Rebuilding the wall resulted in a new survey and a revised high tide line.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2023 at 11:53 AM

I can't help but be amazed that the hotel, home? built on the rocks at Cerritos was ever built.

Some major cha ching$ had to have been involved.

I do remember the poles there from a former fish shack? on that rock promontory but have never seen photos of what that looked like in a previous incarnation.

I recall some mention years ago somewhere of cartel influence with permitting in the Federal Zone that few would be able to accomplish without some inside help.

My everlasting memory of Cerritos was on huge swell when everywhere else was closed out and the outside break was the only spot that could provide a makable wave or even a paddle out.

The crowd on the beach included all the heavies, haha, from the East Cape and the local Todos regulars. The only hope for getting outside was sticking as close to the rocks as possible and having a break in the constantly bombing sets just enough to make it outside across the outside reef zone.

Sam from Oceanside challenged me to give it a go if he made it out. He was riding a 9' plus gun and somehow made it. There might have been one or two others at the most who made it out while the hundred on the beach could only wish they had the same luck.

Somehow on my 7"6 I made it out and joined Sam and no one else for a few Waimea type waves. I have never surfed the Islands but looking into those thick beyond belief peaks throwing over reminded me of Waimea.

I managed to drop into and ride a handful of waves before then and wondering how I could get back to the beach through the close out, top to bottom double to triple overhead barreling shore break coming back at me as a left.

Getting blasted was the only way back to the beach.

That swell was a once in a lifetime experience for me. I am sure other swells have hit since then and I wonder how the structure, hotel, private home? on the rocks has dealt with massive waves in the decades since.

The view would be hard to beat during a giant swell. The Federal Zone exists for a reason except when money and influence overcomes common sense. Then again, any entity that can get permits in the Federal Zone can easily afford the repairs that could come with messing with Mother Nature.

It is undeniably a million dollar view for the owners. I imagine being able to stay there during a giant swell would be the show of shows for any surfers, or non-surfers alike.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.