BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: smooth as a baby's butt- road graded to Asuncion
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 11:15 AM

thankyou!!! be sure of it...oh and george we'll be happy to have you!!!!!

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 12:18 PM

Shari -

It's a pleasure to read your posts. Please keep 'em up.

Hope to pass your way this spring.

Keep smiling :tumble::spingrin::tumble::spingrin::tumble:
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 12:45 PM

Sigh....the baja that some of us knew is gone forever...not that we didn't see it coming, or that we didn't have a part in it. This debate goes back to the Amigos days when we would all talk about distinct locales or roads, and never mention their location but we all knew where and what we were talking about. The ethos then was to give general directions and let the traveler enjoy the sweet fruit of discovery by themselves. Now, some of us have grown roots there, and beckon all to come and enjoy "the pristine {fill in the blank}, and blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile, hotels in the corridor are selling at waaaaayyyyyyyy too high prices relative to current occupancy and rates, and huge mega residential developments are going up despite the obvious environmental limitations. So all this talk about exploitation, and "keeling it pristine" is just a bunch of hooey. People are doing whatever they can to better their lives, better their communities, better their pocketbooks, and it's all having an effect on baja. Me, I think for the worse. That's why I go there less and less, and have found other places in this world that are similar to what baja used to be like. Will these places get "ruined" as well? Of course, but we're all selfish. We all want what we want, and will do whatever to get it.

Above all else, let's not be too hypocritical....
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 12:46 PM

Boy did I miss a lot not going into this thread, Shari will see you in Jan.

Lencho I agree with your concern just a tiny bit, And you mention Los Cabo, Cabo, Loreto for their development and I guess the ruineization why did you not mention La Paz?:?::?::?:

[Edited on 11-25-2006 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 01:04 PM

No matter how well a road or destination is described in a Baja guidebook or online, I always 'discover' something special when I go in person... as if I was the first person there.

I did not know about Las Pintas until The Baja Adventure Book came out and I have been there 4 times since reading about it... I could go back there more and still see new things and enjoy it as much.

Seeing photos or reading about someplace can not replace going there in person to really experience a site.

I was told that if I shared the location of 'Shell Island' it would ruin it... Well, it is just as great as when I first camped out there almost 30 years ago...

I also trust you Baja Nomads to take out anything you bring in, not spray grafitti on rocks, and love the place so as to preserve it as much as we can.

Baja is special and so are the people who love Baja!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 01:41 PM

One of the comments I hear the most about this little travelled part of Baja is that "It's just like the old baja" which is exactly why I love it here. I am the last person who wants this place developed but I do want to share it with true baja lovers and help bring a little needed income to the locals.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 05:17 AM

ditto el vikingo de punta abreojos

fishing, lobster, abalone can support only so many. More and more ninos each passing year...

growth or lose their families to other locations in order to support themselves....happening in the US every day...

which is the better alternative? for me and my own selfish reasons, stay as it is....for the Mexicanos (whose country this is) growth is necessary..

what's your thoughts? george

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 12:40 PM

With all that seismic activity, let's hope it's still there in 2007.:o:o:o:P:P:P
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 06:02 PM

Shari- thanks for the update on the road. Keep up the good work.

Hope the shaking stops soon.

We can't wait to return to your lovely town and enjoy the heartfelt warmth and welcome that we were fortunate to experience FIRST hand in person face to face this summer.

The best to you and Juan.

Abrazos,

M&B

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 07:09 AM

I'm glad to hear the road is in good shape because I'll be driving it next month.

Do you think the Starbucks and Hard Rock Cafe will be open by then? I make terrible morning coffee and keeping the Ballenas cold in the cooler is a hassle.

Shari, is there space in your B&B for me to open a small real estate office so I can sell shares in my Mexican Corporation that owns a bunch of dirt there? I also need a storage area for my rental jet skis and dirt bikes.

Don't forget to take advantage of Oldhippie's Eco Tours and Surf Camp when you're in the area. Personalized surf lessons start at $50 per hour. Hot babes in thong bikinis get 10% off.

cowabunga
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 10:29 PM

Wow, this thread is rife with sarcasim, backbitting and it's mine, I was there first gringo mentality. Hey Norte Americanos, it's not your country. We are only visiters at the pleasure of the local governments. If they want to sell out they will. If they want to develope they will. I so much see the typical localistic mentality of I was there, now I own it. I don't like to see pavement go into my favorite spots that a long hard off road trip kept the crouds down before. But I like better the fact that local fisherman friend can make a few more pesos, keep his truck together a little longer and maybe the ninos can get on a school bus and go to a better school. If you are so blessed to own a retreat spot, then you are blessed indeed. Please make the most of the time you have there. For those of us who don't, and hope we will some day, no fair whinning about those that do. Lets just make the most of each time we get to cross the border and get away from the rodent race in the states. This is all IMHO only or course and is not directed at anyone. ;);)

[Edited on 12-3-2006 by Gadget]

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 11:05 PM
"rodent race in the states" ????????

That sounds really sad-------glad I never entered in THAT race. :lol:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.